Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:09 am 

Other than some form of dystopian failed state where you have to fight with knives to acquire a new house I can't imagine a worse process than the one in England.

please can we get the scottish or australian one?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:10 am 

ukjim wrote:
Other than some form of dystopian failed state where you have to fight with knives to acquire a new house I can't imagine a worse process than the one in England.

please can we get the scottish or australian one?

There's only 1 rule and that's there are no rules

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:29 am 

Trust me , you do NOT want the Aussie one...

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:50 am 

Australia. Appalling. Never even got to the legal process. The "estate agents" were as incompetent as you'd get.

Maybe they disliked an English couple buying in Woolloomooloo. Pity. We liked it a lot.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:04 am 

globus wrote:
Australia. Appalling. Never even got to the legal process. The "estate agents" were as incompetent as you'd get.

Maybe they disliked an English couple buying in Woolloomooloo. Pity. We liked it a lot.

well if they were worse that the estate agents we have in this country they must have been truly appaling

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:10 am 

Been in the business of buying fixer ups or just getting houses ready for sale, it is my belief the Irish estate agents are as bad.
Just cannot use them.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:10 am 

Can a seller back out of a contract in Australia the way they seem able to do in England? From what I've seen, I'm pretty happy with the NZ approach. It seems similar to Scotland.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:16 am 

In England everybody lies. Your solicitor, theirs, the estate agent, the buyer/seller.

I’d maybe choose death over moving again.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:19 am 

so we are all agreed global jihad against estate agents.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:21 am 

ukjim wrote:

Domestic/housing types yes.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:22 am 

That’s a bit harsh, isn’t Mullet an estate agent?

Oh...

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:24 am 

ukjim wrote:

They're a pleasure! Wait until buyer after buyer pulls out of the chain at the last minute based on nothing but "we changed our minds" :x

Everyone bitches about it, but no-one in Govt has the balls to fix it.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:34 am 

ukjim wrote:
globus wrote:

well if they were worse that the estate agents we have in this country they must have been truly appaling

I used to be a bank manager and dealt with plenty of estate agents here in England.

We had a few shady characters but in the main (not the sea) they were pretty good.

I also have a lot of solicitor friends here. I have bought and sold a few properties with little hassle.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:45 am 

Taffia wrote:

??

I've owned a few houses including the one I live in and I've done my own conveyancing, buying or selling, a few times.

So what is the great difficulty?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:48 am 

Was supposed to close on my property purchase today. Solicitor still hasn't received draw down.

I went sale agreed at end of January. This whole process has been mightily frustrating.

Won't be doing this again.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:53 am 

iarmhiman wrote:
Was supposed to close on my property purchase today. Solicitor still hasn't received draw down.

I went sale agreed at end of January. This whole process has been mightily frustrating.

Won't be doing this again.

Go Travelling full-time instead?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:10 pm 

I won’t lie, all my uk property purchases have relatively painless and free from anyone telling lies.
I’ve also only had good experiences with the inland revenue, and the national health service . Maybe I’m just lucky !

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:17 pm 

backrow wrote:
I won’t lie, all my uk property purchases have relatively painless and free from anyone telling lies.
I’ve also only had good experiences with the inland revenue, and the national health service . Maybe I’m just lucky !

So have I. And I have BUPA rather than hit the NHS.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:20 pm 

I heard Italy's bureaucracy is a bit of a shambles.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:02 pm 

tabascoboy wrote:
I heard Italy's bureaucracy is a bit of a shambles.

One of my pals (very wealthy) tried to get a place in Tuscany years ago.

He just gave up. Bought a place in Naples (Florida) instead!

It's here.

Colliers Reserve.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:30 pm 

humblebrag by proxy. nice.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:45 pm 

MungoMan wrote:
Taffia wrote:

??

I've owned a few houses including the one I live in and I've done my own conveyancing, buying or selling, a few times.

So what is the great difficulty?

Yeah, apart from having to interact with Real Estate Agents, it isn't the bad

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:42 pm 

In my limited experience, virtually everyone involved in the sale of properties are arseholes, from the seller through the solicitors through to the (mostly) useless estate agents.

Selling my part owned flat was a nightmare, although the estate agent selling did an excellent job (3 viewings, 2 offers). The solicitors on all sides were wankers. Took six months to complete x(

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:17 pm 

Torrens title is a f**king dream compared
To what England uses. Don't even get me started on the scam that is long term leasehold

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:47 pm 

Zakar wrote:
Torrens title is a f**king dream compared
To what England uses. Don't even get me started on the scam that is long term leasehold

Have a look at the Leasehold Reform Act.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:49 pm 

I'm not too thrilled here in Wales either.

Girlfriend is pregnant so we agreed to purchase a lovely three bed semi in February. No chain. Old lady had passed away there the year previous and one of her daughters - of which she has three - is living there. The other two daughters who don't live there are executors of the will. Daughter living there is just a beneficiary of said will.
Originally told we'd be in by end of April, then mid-may, then mid-June, and now this woman is refusing to move. This was eight weeks out from the due date of our baby, pretty much ensuring we don't have enough time to sort out another home before he arrives. It's now going to court, and we have to move into my gf's mothers house until it's resolved, if at all. Fuming.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:52 pm 

Scotland’s is fairly grim
Not sure if it has changed but when we bought our first house up there it was a like a sealed bid and the highest bid won

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:54 pm 

Winnie wrote:
Not sure if it has changed but when we bought our first house up there it was a like a sealed bid and the highest bid won

The system in Scotland is both better and worse.

Better because once the missives are concluded (and your offer accepted) then the contract is binding on both sides. (Though I have heard people still pull out sometimes - on the basis that it’s unlikely you will actually sue).

Worse because it operates on an ‘offers over’ system which gives you no idea how much the seller is likely to accept. At least the ‘guide price’ in England gives you some idea. When I bought my flat in Edinburgh years ago, I was lucky enough to be the highest bidder of 7.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:56 pm 

JB1981 wrote:
Can a seller back out of a contract in Australia the way they seem able to do in England? From what I've seen, I'm pretty happy with the NZ approach. It seems similar to Scotland.

Nup, once the contracts are unconditional (most are exchanged unconditionally), there is no backing out in aus

The purchaser even has the right to require specific performance of the contract if the Vendor tried it on

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:00 am 

Not sure about buying but my cousin said he'd prefer to have his teeth pulled out if given the choice between that and renting in Germany.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:17 am 

Dougie wrote:
I'm not too thrilled here in Wales either.

Girlfriend is pregnant so we agreed to purchase a lovely three bed semi in February. No chain. Old lady had passed away there the year previous and one of her daughters - of which she has three - is living there. The other two daughters who don't live there are executors of the will. Daughter living there is just a beneficiary of said will.
Originally told we'd be in by end of April, then mid-may, then mid-June, and now this woman is refusing to move. This was eight weeks out from the due date of our baby, pretty much ensuring we don't have enough time to sort out another home before he arrives. It's now going to court, and we have to move into my gf's mothers house until it's resolved, if at all. Fuming.

? Surely you have a Settlement Date or does that not exist in Wales?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:22 am 

Doc Rob wrote:
Winnie wrote:

The system in Scotland is both better and worse.

Better because once the missives are concluded (and your offer accepted) then the contract is binding on both sides. (Though I have heard people still pull out sometimes - on the basis that it’s unlikely you will actually sue).

Worse because it operates on an ‘offers over’ system which gives you no idea how much the seller is likely to accept. At least the ‘guide price’ in England gives you some idea. When I bought my flat in Edinburgh years ago, I was lucky enough to be the highest bidder of 7.

It has always worked well for me - as both a seller and a buyer! Bought flats/houses over the years in poor condition and then done them up and sold on so made a few bob. Lots of people wanting to buy a flat/house ready to move into in Edinburgh so really liked the blind bidding process. Last purchase was when getting divorce - saw nice flat, made cash bid with conditions that I we completed in 7 weeks and my bid needed to be accepted in 24 hours, we knew sellers wanted to sell asap. Bid accepted and completed in 7 weeks! Home Reports (survey paid for and made available by seller) help make process move quickly as you can get moving with finance etc if required. Solicitor was a mate but no fuss in legals. Couple of minor issues but missives exchanged in matter of few weeks. Moved in 8 weeks later and still delighted 4 years later.