Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:42 pm 

There's quite a few contentious sporting moment that are before my time that I'm fascinated by, if poorly informed on. So I'm going to stick a few up and you know it all feckers can poorly educate me.

Zola Budd x 2.

Her representing britain to get around the apartheid sanctions.

[spoiler]
Contents
1 Athletics career
1.1 Women's 5000 metres world record
1.2 Arrival in Britain
1.3 1984 Olympic 3000 metres
1.4 International competition
2 Personal life
2.1 Controversy, marriage and return to South Africa
2.2 Relocation to U.S.
3 Cultural impact
4 International competitions
5 References
6 External links
Athletics career
Women's 5000 metres world record
Budd, who was born in Bloemfontein, Orange Free State, South Africa, achieved fame in 1984, at the age of 17, when she broke the women's 5000 m world record with a time of 15:01.83.[7] Since her performance took place in South Africa, then excluded from international athletics competition because of its apartheid policy, the International Amateur Athletics Federation (IAAF) refused to ratify Budd's time as an official world record.

In 1985 she claimed the world record officially, while representing Great Britain, clocking 14:48.07.[8]

Arrival in Britain
The Daily Mail, a British tabloid newspaper, persuaded Budd's father to encourage her to apply for British citizenship, on the grounds that her grandfather was British, to circumvent the international sporting boycott of South Africa, so that she could compete in the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles. With a strong push from the Daily Mail, British citizenship was granted in short order and she moved to Guildford. Her application and arrival was controversial due to her acquiring a passport under preferential circumstances. Groups supporting the abolition of apartheid campaigned vociferously and effectively to highlight the special treatment she received; other applicants had to wait sometimes years to be granted citizenship, if at all.

Shortly afterwards, Budd was forced to pull out of a 1500 metres race in Crawley, Sussex, when the town council withdrew their invitation at short notice. The race was part of the inaugural event for the town's new Bewbush Leisure Centre and Mayor Alf Pegler said members of the council had expressed misgivings that the local significance of the event would be overshadowed by "political connotations and anti-apartheid demonstrators".[9]

She ran her first competitive race on the cinder track at Central Park in Dartford, Kent, covering 3000m in 9 mins. 2.6 seconds in a race shown live on the BBC's Grandstand programme.[10] She ran in further races in Britain, including the UK Championships 1500m (won in 4 mins. 4 secs.) and the 3000m in the UK Olympic trials, which she won in 8 mins. 40 secs., earning a place on the British Olympic team. In the 2000m at Crystal Palace in July 1984 she set a new world record of 5 mins. 33.15 secs.[11] Commenting during the race for the BBC, David Coleman exclaimed, "The message will now be flashed around the world – Zola Budd is no myth."

In Britain, Budd trained at Freddie’s Aldershot, Farnham and District Athletics Club.
[\spoiler]

Her clash with Mark Dekker that saw her roundly booed by the US crowd and finish 7th in a race she was tipped for gold. Cleared by th IAAF of any wrong doing and Dekker refused her apology on the day, although admitted later it wasnt Budd's fault but more her own inexperience of pack running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HRal7snecw

Even as a kid I remembered her being somewhat vilified and a hate figure and never understood the anger towards such a young girl.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:16 pm 

This is an excellent article. Possibly one of the best female runners of all time was sacrificed on the alter of greed, politics and sensationalism. It would have been hard or impossible for anyone to cope with, but for a naive kid it was impossible. It seems like she found contentment in later life which is gratifying.

https://www.runnersworld.com/runners-st ... -the-fall/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:20 pm 

What is it with American athletes transitioning. First Jenner, now Decker!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:28 pm 

frillage wrote:
What is it with American athletes transitioning. First Jenner, now Decker!

Oh, she a bloke now? :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:32 pm 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
This is an excellent article. Possibly one of the best female runners of all time was sacrificed on the alter of greed, politics and sensationalism. It would have been hard or impossible for anyone to cope with, but for a naive kid it was impossible. It seems like she found contentment in later life which is gratifying.

Ta, have only had time to skim it but looks great.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:39 pm 

Also hadn't realised Decker pissed hot for testosterone, whilst coached by Salazar.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:43 pm 

Most Saffers were disgusted when she wore a British shirt at '84 Olympics and many of us were delighted she lost the race in amazing circumstances. Although Dekker losing and crying was even more fun. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:48 pm 

No. She is married in her 60s. It is Mary Decker.

Mark Dekker is a Zimbabwean Cricketer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:53 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:
Most Saffers were disgusted when she wore a British shirt at '84 Olympics and many of us were delighted she lost the race in amazing circumstances. Although Dekker losing and crying was even more fun. :)

I do not remember that at all. As I recall there was more pleasure in seeing a South African beating the world.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:56 pm 

There was a nice 30 for 30 about the two of them. It was just at the point when the amateur facade was falling apart. Decker’s rage was driven by the opportunity she lost, Budd’s move by her greedy father, who was a real monster apparently. The shitbags who followed her round Europe to make her life miserable come out of it poorly too. Zola Budd herself came across as the most painfully shy person you could imagine, Decker as more fulfilled in her life and sorry for how angry she was.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:56 pm 

Edinburgh01 wrote:

Thanks for that. It was fascinating.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:59 pm 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:

I do not remember that at all. As I recall there was more pleasure in seeing a South African beating the world.

Having the opportunity to showcase her talent at the Olympics was nice, but not in a British team. :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:09 pm 

Black & Decker

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:10 pm 

backrow wrote:
Black & Decker

You know the drill.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:14 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:

Having the opportunity to showcase her talent at the Olympics was nice, but not in a British team. :thumbdown:

So how else was it going to happen?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:16 pm 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
So how else was it going to happen?

There was no other way, however that doesn't mean it sat well with many people.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:20 pm 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:

Agree 100%. The most remarkable thing about Zola was running barefoot. She could have ran in China colours , we knew she was a Bloemfonteiner.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:21 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:

I was proud of her...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:23 pm 

OomPB wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:

Agree 100%. The most remarkable thing about Zola was running barefoot. She could have ran in China colours , we knew she was a Bloemfonteiner.

If she had won and stood on top of the podium while God Save the Queen rang out?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:28 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:
OomPB wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:

If she had won and stood on top of the podium while God Save the Queen rang out?

You do it, so why do you bodder?

We backed Zola. She was our queen.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:37 pm 

Kiwias wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:

Thanks for that. It was fascinating.

Seconded! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:43 pm 

OomPB wrote:
You do it, so why do you bodder?

Outside! Now! :x

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:49 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:

more bullshit, you're on form today.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:20 pm 

Edinburgh01 wrote:

I always suspected had she not ruined the American golden girl (who funny enough got a drugs ban later on in her career :roll: ) at a US Olympics she would have never got half the sh*t she did in the backlash.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:22 pm 

etherman wrote:
Also hadn't realised Decker pissed hot for testosterone, whilst coached by Salazar.

And people wonder why I can't 100% believe in or be sure of Farah's accomplishments. Salazar seems to have a long trail of hot tests, ordering testosterone and athletes accusing him of doping.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:25 pm 

Edinburgh01 wrote:

Thanks for that. I know the story but always glad to get a well written perspective on it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:15 pm 

Good article that, I enjoyed reading it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:21 pm 

houtkabouter wrote:

Me too, but doe it say where she finished in that "Go Zola!" race against the students? :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:25 pm 

Mary decker's husband got caught juicing didn't he?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:31 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:
houtkabouter wrote:

Me too, but doe it say where she finished in that "Go Zola!" race against the students? :(

It says she won it, no?

Quote:
ALL THE TEENAGERS WERE CHASING HER. She had grown up too fast, and now she was being chased by runners half her age.

The course wound over hills, at altitude. It must have seemed high to the girls who had been training at sea level. To a runner who remembered the chilly dawn of the African veld, it must have felt like home.

“Go Zola, go!”

Once reviled, once booed, the antiheroine of all sorts of compelling and not-quite-complete stories kept going. No one was booing now. People were cheering, yelling her name. She kept going and the young runners fell behind and she won the race in 17:58. Afterward, the coaches from the teams surrounded her. They wanted to meet the legend.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:35 pm 

Joost wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
houtkabouter wrote:

It says she won it, no?

Quote:
ALL THE TEENAGERS WERE CHASING HER. She had grown up too fast, and now she was being chased by runners half her age.

The course wound over hills, at altitude. It must have seemed high to the girls who had been training at sea level. To a runner who remembered the chilly dawn of the African veld, it must have felt like home.

“Go Zola, go!”

Once reviled, once booed, the antiheroine of all sorts of compelling and not-quite-complete stories kept going. No one was booing now. People were cheering, yelling her name. She kept going and the young runners fell behind and she won the race in 17:58. Afterward, the coaches from the teams surrounded her. They wanted to meet the legend.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:56 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
etherman wrote:

And people wonder why I can't 100% believe in or be sure of Farah's accomplishments. Salazar seems to have a long trail of hot tests, ordering testosterone and athletes accusing him of doping.

Salazar was bent as a runner, he's bent as a coach. Leopards and spots etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:10 pm 

Neither Decker nor Budd would have beaten that Romanian Marcica Puica who ended up winning gold.
Eastern European women were so thoroughly dominant. Look at the global results between 1983 and 1987. Every world championship or world cup event was won by Eastern Europe. Puica herself looked like a man. Likely taking testesterone shots. So whatever drugs Decker was using might have been rendered ineffective. Mary Decker did not win much after that fall. Zola Budd did not live up to the hype.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:22 pm 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Quote:
and she moved to Guildford

And here is the root cause of the whole problem

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:21 am 

dinsdale wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
etherman wrote:

It's just sad that as head of Nike's special running project he is quite strongly protected it seems to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:24 am 

eldanielfire wrote:
dinsdale wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
etherman wrote:

It's just sad that as head of Nike's special running project he is quite strongly protected it seems to me.

Nike never met a doper they didn't like.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:04 am 

Sandstorm wrote:
houtkabouter wrote:

:lol: Also want to know.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:28 am 

The Vrystaat rugby boys first heard about Roids after the Zola Budd story. Those days they only know about mothers milk.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:10 am 

handyman wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
houtkabouter wrote:

:lol: Also want to know.

Keep reading and find out :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:19 am 

Sards wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:

I was proud of her...

But she kept a true Brit out of the team?