Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1837 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:57 pm 

The Honor 9 is a truly great phone for the bucks.
Excellent battery life and a brilliant camera with a great look and build quality as good as Apple and Samsung.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:35 pm 

c69 wrote:
The Honor 9 is a truly great phone for the bucks.
Excellent battery life and a brilliant camera with a great look and build quality as good as Apple and Samsung.

Just got one this week and very happy so far, bar the reduced wifi signal strength I'm getting. Otherwise it's a little treat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:04 pm 

Afternoon All.

I have just noticed a Pop-up on my Phone for various "Boost" options like Phone Boost, which offers to "Save Ram and "Speed up your camera" :lol:

Is this something useful from the latest official Android update or (more likely) some spam or Malware I've picked up while looking at boobs...I mean rugby?

Should I remove it using my AV software? It doesn't appear in My Apps list.....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:10 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:
Afternoon All.

I have just noticed a Pop-up on my Phone for various "Boost" options like Phone Boost, which offers to "Save Ram and "Speed up your camera" :lol:

Is this something useful from the latest official Android update or (more likely) some spam or Malware I've picked up while looking at boobs...I mean rugby?

Should I remove it using my AV software? It doesn't appear in My Apps list.....

Got it too on S8. Harmless (it may or may not help free up RAM - who knows) but annoying, although you can stop it from popping up without removing it (in Alert settings or something).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:20 pm 

Android forum users are high-fiving this bloke as it's apparently Malware:

Quote:
i get this rubbish out of my phone last night,i use malwarebyte too .but no effect phonebooster always in my running app,cannot uninstall.
i solve it in android setting>>>>>>>setting or option>>>>privacy setting>>>>>hardware keeper or phone keeper>>>>>>>android phone and android setting,,this two setting must empty a ticking square>>>>>and then go to uninstall the phonebooster......will be ok !!!!!!!!

His English is terrible and I can't find Privacy Settings on my phone...... :( :(

Help!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:27 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:
Android forum users are high-fiving this bloke as it's apparently Malware:

Quote:
i get this rubbish out of my phone last night,i use malwarebyte too .but no effect phonebooster always in my running app,cannot uninstall.
i solve it in android setting>>>>>>>setting or option>>>>privacy setting>>>>>hardware keeper or phone keeper>>>>>>>android phone and android setting,,this two setting must empty a ticking square>>>>>and then go to uninstall the phonebooster......will be ok !!!!!!!!

His English is terrible and I can't find Privacy Settings on my phone...... :( :(

Help!

Well Malware Bytes and some other malware detector doesn't think so. I will have to take a closer look later today . . .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:10 pm 

Further to my issue with green popup boxes.

I reset to factory settings and for a while this seemed to do the trick.

It's now back however.

Mcafee seems to find an App called "MediaService" which I cannot find under my App settings. It claims to be under the name "com.google.eMediaService", but presumably such things can be spoofed. McAfee offers to remove it and then claims to have done so, but it always reappears in the next scan.

Does anyone know what "MediaService" is? Is it legit?

SS, what forum do you go to for the Android stuff? I've been on forums.androidcentral.com, but they're pretty useless.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:43 pm 

Rinkals wrote:
SS, what forum do you go to for the Android stuff? I've been on forums.androidcentral.com, but they're pretty useless.

Same as you. Sorry :((

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:02 pm 

MediaService is a completely legit component of Android, but it has had some fairly major security flaws in the past that would leave you wide open to malware getting vie an media file.

Most of the exploits should have been locked down last year - if you go into settings/about phone, you should be able to see a line "Android Security Patch Level". If the date is before May last year then you really need to be talking to either the HW manufacturer if you're unlocked, or your service provider if you're locked.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:27 am 

I want the Note 8. But its ex as, and my S7 edge is perfectly fine, so cannot justify it.

Plus I brought the Tab S3 a couple of months ago, so have no real need for the Note 8.

But still... :x :x :x

Real problems people, real problems.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:59 am 

Yeah - the Note is ridiculously priced

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:01 am 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Yeah - the Note is ridiculously priced

Especially compared to the S8+. Mental. Its a bridge too far.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:09 am 

TBH, really happy with my Mate 9.

I'd never use the Stylus on the 8 so this gives me everything else + 2 SIMs with 18Gb of data :nod:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:53 am 

Rinkals wrote:

It's now back however.

Mcafee seems to find an App called "MediaService" which I cannot find under my App settings. It claims to be under the name "com.google.eMediaService", but presumably such things can be spoofed. McAfee offers to remove it and then claims to have done so, but it always reappears in the next scan.

You could try xda forums.

Sounds like bloatware on the phone which wouldn't be fixed by a factory reset.

Alternatively just buy a new phone.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:14 am 

My Google Pixel inexplicably kept freezing then rebooting itself every time I took a call after it updated to Android 8.0. I took it back to PBtech to sort out and as they didn't have any Pixel's to give me as a replacement I got full store credit. I ended up getting the Note 8 as it was the best phone out of the selection.

I've bagged the shit out of Samsung in the past for many reasons - crap and stuttering UI, needless physical home button etc. The Note 8 some piece of hardware. It is outstanding. And having the stylus is so damn helpful for me when I'm on site for half the day and need to send emails, photos, technical specs etc. The UI is great, not pure Android smooth but the best of any third party skins I've seen or used. No home button. Huge, bright screen viewable in direct sunlight. Expandable storage, and awesome camera. I also thought that facial/iris scanner was a gimmick but it works really well, hasn't missed a beat. Except when I forget to take off my sunglasses.

9/10

If it ran pure Android it'd be 10/10.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:24 pm 

I just got the Pixel 2 XL and love it.

I couldn't really say how it stacks up against the other flagships, but compared with the steaming heap I was using until now (a Motorola Moto X 2014), it's amazing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:46 pm 

RuggaBugga wrote:
Rinkals wrote:

It's now back however.

You could try xda forums.

Sounds like bloatware on the phone which wouldn't be fixed by a factory reset.

Alternatively just buy a new phone.

My new Eset AV software is really good at cleaning up Malware/Bloatware. All the old crud I've had bothering me since July is gone! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:22 pm 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
The Native wrote:
Some of those Huawei big screen phones look decent bang for the buck.

Yep, I don't need to spend the price of a desktop on a work phone - No case/disposable :nod:

I would have kept on using my SG3 but it finally died the other day and I settled on the huawei P10 lite as a replacement. I got one today from Argos after my first and last experience of Carphone Warehouse. In short I paid for the phone yesterday because their website was saying in stock in all the nearest shops and available for pick up today. It wasn't and they just kept lying to me about the date it would be in the shop even their website was still saying you could buy it from all their London shops and pick it up tomorrow. Turns out it will be delivered to the shop on the 27th.
I gave up bought one on the Argos website and went and picked it up. It's a much better phone than my SG3 and at £180 on my £8 a month BT deal it won't break the bank. The mobile phone industries ability to get people to buy flagship phones of the most expensive companies on hire purchase and then purchase a slightly improved version two years later is magnificent. Especially when the vast majority of people do virtually the same thing on these phones that they were doing on the phones they had 5 or 6 years ago and would be doing on a phone now. Still not as good as getting people to buy bottled water though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:41 pm 

Recently bought a hauwei mate 10 lite for 320 USD at Dubai airport, really impressed so far.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:08 am 

Anonymous. wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
The Native wrote:
Some of those Huawei big screen phones look decent bang for the buck.

Yep, I don't need to spend the price of a desktop on a work phone - No case/disposable :nod:

I would have kept on using my SG3 but it finally died the other day and I settled on the huawei P10 lite as a replacement. I got one today from Argos after my first and last experience of Carphone Warehouse. In short I paid for the phone yesterday because their website was saying in stock in all the nearest shops and available for pick up today. It wasn't and they just kept lying to me about the date it would be in the shop even their website was still saying you could buy it from all their London shops and pick it up tomorrow. Turns out it will be delivered to the shop on the 27th.
I gave up bought one on the Argos website and went and picked it up. It's a much better phone than my SG3 and at £180 on my £8 a month BT deal it won't break the bank. The mobile phone industries ability to get people to buy flagship phones of the most expensive companies on hire purchase and then purchase a slightly improved version two years later is magnificent. Especially when the vast majority of people do virtually the same thing on these phones that they were doing on the phones they had 5 or 6 years ago and would be doing on a phone now. Still not as good as getting people to buy bottled water though.

I work for a not for profit, so we don't get the top end phones. I make do with a Samsung A5, which is pretty much a re-branded S6 with a couple of minor spec changes. It does absolutely everything I need it to do without a problem, and I use it to access work systems via web clients, navigate, manage emails and my calendar and tasks etc. And I use plenty of useful apps as work tools.

My wife always has the latest and greatest and really can't do anymore than I can. As long as you have enough ram and a decent amount of internal memory then the rest is of lesser importance.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:14 pm 

Just got a Moto g5, impressed so far but feel like I have a computer instead of a phone. How secure are these fingerprint scanners?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:23 pm 

james garner wrote:
Just got a Moto g5, impressed so far but feel like I have a computer instead of a phone. How secure are these fingerprint scanners?

Just got my first phone with a fingerprint scanner. It's great because I no longer have to put passwords in for banking and credit card apps. To date I've only heard of phone scanners being fooled by copies of your own fingerprint and the last one was a couple of years ago. Never pays to be an early adopter in my book.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:46 pm 

Anonymous. wrote:
james garner wrote:

Just got my first phone with a fingerprint scanner. It's great because I no longer have to put passwords in for banking and credit card apps. To date I've only heard of phone scanners being fooled by copies of your own fingerprint and the last one was a couple of years ago. Never pays to be an early adopter in my book.

Good to hear that, now how do I stop all the preinstallef Google apps constantly updating me, and are they using data?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:23 pm 

Why would you want to stop them updating?
Also, you can set it so they only update over wifi.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:21 pm 

Just don't need Google maps telling me how the traffic is for example,

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:24 pm 

james garner wrote:

That's different. You can stop the app doing that. Updates are when the apps download a new patch.
What you need to do is block notifications.

Settings -> Notifications -> Maps -> Block All

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:23 pm 

Leinsterman wrote:
james garner wrote:

That's different. You can stop the app doing that. Updates are when the apps download a new patch.
What you need to do is block notifications.

Settings -> Notifications -> Maps -> Block All

Ta, overall am impressed after a few weeks of use. For a 'budget' smart phone it's great, also great as I have a Chromebook so everything works well together. The only time it has been slow is on this site, clearly it really is a smart phone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:16 am 

Location: The Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead..Peasants..
Why do I get side and top ads appearing only on PR, and only at certain times of the day?
Bloody annoying. .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:28 am 

TB63 wrote:
Why do I get side and top ads appearing only on PR, and only at certain times of the day?
Bloody annoying. .

probably because your adblocker is shite.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:32 am 

Right, looking to buy a new phone. Not bothered spending the money on a flagship device so looking at around the £250 or under mark. Thinking an Moto G5S Plus. Anyone used one, or any other suggestions at the price point? Functional camera and battery life the primary concerns.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:44 am 

Margin_Walker wrote:
Right, looking to buy a new phone. Not bothered spending the money on a flagship device so looking at around the £250 or under mark. Thinking an Moto G5S Plus. Anyone used one, or any other suggestions at the price point? Functional camera and battery life the primary concerns.

I got a G5S Plus last October - very happy with it!
Battery easily lasts the day with a good bit of use. Camera is more than adequate for taking snaps. It can also video in 4k

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:52 am 

Leinsterman wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:

I got a G5S Plus last October - very happy with it!
Battery easily lasts the day with a good bit of use. Camera is more than adequate for taking snaps. It can also video in 4k

Cheers

Seems to fit the bill for the price compared to the competition.

Some of the reviews mention that the shutter speed on the camera is very slow (worse than the G5 Plus), albeit likely to be patched. Assume that's not an obvious issue? Not bothered about it being top quality, just for family snaps.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:54 am 

I'll be completely honest here and say that I haven't noticed any issues.
It's grand for family snaps.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:54 am 

Excellent, cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:07 pm 

I got my old man a Moto G5s plus dual SIM, 64 GB, 4 GB RAM. He’s very happy with it.

I love my US$320 Huawei Mate 10 Lite.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:17 pm 

Calculus wrote:
I got my old man a Moto G5s plus dual SIM, 64 GB, 4 GB RAM. He’s very happy with it.

Huawei make great phones. Only bought one as it was on special when my LG died and it blew it out of the water at half the price.

How's the camera on the 10? Only area the LG had an edge on my 8.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:17 pm 

Leinsterman wrote:
I'll be completely honest here and say that I haven't noticed any issues.
It's grand for family snaps.

Help a fella out - does it have NFC? Also is it decent for walkjng directions using google maps? Some budget phones don't have the necessary gubbins and you end up back-tracking like an eejit...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:25 pm 

Yeah I've used it for walking directions. It's not bad but compass apps don't work on it!
It doesn't have NFC though which could be an issue if you want to use it for Google Pay etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:30 pm 

RuggaBugga wrote:
Calculus wrote:

Huawei make great phones. Only bought one as it was on special when my LG died and it blew it out of the water at half the price.

How's the camera on the 10? Only area the LG had an edge on my 8.

Good enough for me but I don’t use the camera that much. The reviews had the camera performance as decent but nothing special.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:30 pm 

Leinsterman wrote:
Yeah I've used it for walking directions. It's not bad but compass apps don't work on it!
It doesn't have NFC though which could be an issue if you want to use it for Google Pay etc.

Ahhhh. Cheers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1837 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next