Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1837 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:32 am 

It is rage inducing :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:19 am 

Dug out my old Nexus 7 tablet there the other day and charged it up. I factory reset it some time ago as it wasn't working well. Seems to work fine so far now, all apps updates on startup.

Question is, will it be able to cope with the latest OS and app versions etc? I wan to give it to the missus to watch Netflix and it'll be used for little else. Am I better off rooting it?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:21 am 

The Native wrote:
So the Oneplus 6 was officially unveiled today. Looks to be an absolute beast as far as hardware goes. Very minimal and clean fuss-free Android that will be updated to Android P almost as soon as it drops. The camera has been mentioned as strong and the top of the range boosts a whopping 8GB of RAM and 256GB storage making expandable memory virtually pointless. Another downside is that it "only" has a full HD screen but I've got a Moto G5S loan phone at the moment and apart from the brightness I can't really tell the difference between full HD and my Note 8. It's also IP68 and has a 3.5mm headphone jack. Little things but really nice to have.

I do treat myself to one expensive gadget per year and this might be the one. As always, the phone is very competitively priced starting at $529 (£469), $579 (£519) and $629 (£569) for the top spec.

https://www.oneplus.com/global/6

I got a Oneplus 5 last year and can't see how someone would want to replace it so soon, barring mishap. It's excellent. Savage battery life given how much I use it.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:14 pm 

The Native wrote:
So the Oneplus 6 was officially unveiled today. Looks to be an absolute beast as far as hardware goes. Very minimal and clean fuss-free Android that will be updated to Android P almost as soon as it drops. The camera has been mentioned as strong and the top of the range boosts a whopping 8GB of RAM and 256GB storage making expandable memory virtually pointless. Another downside is that it "only" has a full HD screen but I've got a Moto G5S loan phone at the moment and apart from the brightness I can't really tell the difference between full HD and my Note 8. It's also IP68 and has a 3.5mm headphone jack. Little things but really nice to have.

I do treat myself to one expensive gadget per year and this might be the one. As always, the phone is very competitively priced starting at $529 (£469), $579 (£519) and $629 (£569) for the top spec.

https://www.oneplus.com/global/6

The lady of the house has the mate 10.

A toss up between the two now

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:50 pm 

For those that mentioned Bixby, it's utter shit. Google Assistant is far and away the superior choice between itself, Siri, Bixby and Cortana.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:30 pm 

Got Note 8 2 months ago, great phone, great camera. Gave my Note 4 to my missus but stopped last month charging, tried a new battery but wouldn't charge. Loved my note 4 brought it to one of those Asian shops but he said would have to take it apart to find out issue :frown: My missus got a P10 lite which she seems to like.
I don't mind Bixby grand for turning on Bluetooth, optimising phone etc.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:07 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Dug out my old Nexus 7 tablet there the other day and charged it up. I factory reset it some time ago as it wasn't working well. Seems to work fine so far now, all apps updates on startup.

Question is, will it be able to cope with the latest OS and app versions etc? I wan to give it to the missus to watch Netflix and it'll be used for little else. Am I better off rooting it?

You'll have to root it if you want it to run the latest and greatest. Tried to get my own one up to speed but didn't have too much joy. Contemplating just getting a Kindle fire for chucking in my bag when travelling as the android tablet selection is a bit crap at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:29 pm 

Skawt wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

You'll have to root it if you want it to run the latest and greatest. Tried to get my own one up to speed but didn't have too much joy. Contemplating just getting a Kindle fire for chucking in my bag when travelling as the android tablet selection is a bit crap at the moment.

Kindle fire is ace. Sideload Google Play, swap in an alternative launcher and Bob's your uncle. Sweet android tablet for about a quarter the price.

Get no ads one though.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:32 pm 

The Native wrote:
For those that mentioned Bixby, it's utter shit. Google Assistant is far and away the superior choice between itself, Siri, Bixby and Cortana.

Bixby is a fŪcking awful pain in the hole. I cant completely eradicate it from my phone. it's like Japanese knotweed, or the ex.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:07 am 

etherman wrote:
The Native wrote:

Bixby is a fŪcking awful pain in the hole. I cant completely eradicate it from my phone. it's like Japanese knotweed, or the ex.

At least you enjoyed the ex at one point in life. Bixby wouldn't be too bad except for dedicated button that cannot be re-purposed. It also turns on at random times which isn't so much annoying as baffling as I thought I had done everything to turn it off.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:55 pm 

The Native wrote:
etherman wrote:
The Native wrote:

At least you enjoyed the ex at one point in life. Bixby wouldn't be too bad except for dedicated button that cannot be re-purposed. It also turns on at random times which isn't so much annoying as baffling as I thought I had done everything to turn it off.

You can disable the had button
I managed it after much googling.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:14 pm 

Luckycharmer wrote:
Got Note 8 2 months ago, great phone, great camera. Gave my Note 4 to my missus but stopped last month charging, tried a new battery but wouldn't charge. Loved my note 4 brought it to one of those Asian shops but he said would have to take it apart to find out issue :frown: My missus got a P10 lite which she seems to like.
I don't mind Bixby grand for turning on Bluetooth, optimising phone etc.

I've got a P10 light. Love it

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:51 pm 

Question from a friend that's moving to android...
Can she access icloud from her new android phone and then just copy the contacts from there to the android device?
Ta

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:21 pm 

Cartman wrote:
Can she access icloud from her new android phone and then just copy the contacts from there to the android device?
Ta

www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-swi ... droid/amp/

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:32 pm 

Skawt wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

gave up on mine last weekend and got a Samsung galaxy tab a6

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:05 pm 

RuggaBugga wrote:
Skawt wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Kindle fire is ace. Sideload Google Play, swap in an alternative launcher and Bob's your uncle. Sweet android tablet for about a quarter the price.

Get no ads one though.
that's... an interesting idea, thank you. A few questions, if I may... Which model do you have? Will it run everything from the Play Store and is basically indistinguishable from a regular Android device? And does it have location/ GPS? (in order to stream from my US tv provider when overseas, I need to use VPN plus a location spoofer because broadcast is restricted to my home zip code). Finally, do you know if it can be rooted? Thanks

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:06 am 

etherman wrote:
The Native wrote:
etherman wrote:
The Native wrote:

You can disable the had button
I managed it after much googling.

I have disabled it. But it should be able to be re-mapped and for some reason, Bixby keeps on popping up at random times.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:24 am 

Balls Out! wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
Skawt wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Get no ads one though.
that's... an interesting idea, thank you. A few questions, if I may... Which model do you have? Will it run everything from the Play Store and is basically indistinguishable from a regular Android device? And does it have location/ GPS? (in order to stream from my US tv provider when overseas, I need to use VPN plus a location spoofer because broadcast is restricted to my home zip code). Finally, do you know if it can be rooted? Thanks

I have the Kindle Fire 8 (2017) -without special offers

Yes Kindle runs on a modified android platform so once you have sideloaded Google play on it, it runs everthing no probs. There's a ton of guides on the net including on youtube:
https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to ... re-tablet/

It doesn't have GPS unfortunately (at least the 8 doesn't) .

I believe the 7 and 10 can be rooted but the 8 can't. I believe the 10 has the capability built on but it isn't activated or something. Worth looking into further as the spoofer may still work.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10

I don't use it a lot (its for the mrs really) but it's a great device for media. If you actually use Amazon at all it's worth leaving their launcher on as it intergrates with Amazon site, kindle, prime video etc seamlessly and with Playstore sideloaded you can use every app as well.

Worth it if the GPS isn't a deal breaker.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:32 am 

Saint wrote:
Cartman wrote:
Ta

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how ... droid/amp/

Thanks man

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:58 pm 

RuggaBugga wrote:
Balls Out! wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
Skawt wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Get no ads one though.

I have the Kindle Fire 8 (2017) -without special offers

Yes Kindle runs on a modified android platform so once you have sideloaded Google play on it, it runs everthing no probs. There's a ton of guides on the net including on youtube:
https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to ... re-tablet/

It doesn't have GPS unfortunately (at least the 8 doesn't) .

I believe the 7 and 10 can be rooted but the 8 can't. I believe the 10 has the capability built on but it isn't activated or something. Worth looking into further as the spoofer may still work.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10

Nice one, thanks.

RuggaBugga wrote:
If you actually use Amazon at all it's worth leaving their launcher on as it intergrates with Amazon site, kindle, prime video etc seamlessly and with Playstore sideloaded you can use every app as well.
What's really grinding my gears... I have both Amazon UK and US accounts. I've found that I could buy and stream certain TV shows through Amazon UK - for very, very cheap - that aren't available to stream anywhere (legally) in the US (specifically Braquo seasons 4 and 5, and Forbrydelsen season 2, around $4 for entire seasons, if anyone cares. Individual episodes cost >$4, so no idea how the economics of THAT works, but I'm not complaining).

I can watch them just fine both on the Amazon UK website through a web browser on my laptop without a VPN. However, somehow, my Prime video app on all my devices seems locked to my US account and it won't let me play those shows because they aren't licensed for that geography (note I have same username and password for both accounts, not sure if you can have separate ones).

I've tried VPNs with dedicated UK IP, downloading the app via the UK app store etc - it says I need to contact customer services to get my account region switched, but I worry that if I did that, I wouldn't be allowed to change back to US more than once a year or something (viz: awful experiences with the Sky Sports app).

Long shot, but I don't suppose anyone here has encountered similar and has a workaround?

cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:00 pm 

Anyone looked at any ChromeOS devices yet? The HP X2 looks like it could tick all the boxes.......

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:58 am 

If you use Android Messages as your SMS option, you can now send messages from your browser. Very useful if you have to send a lot of texts for work or whatever - https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/19/1747 ... eb-feature

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:54 pm 

The Native wrote:
If you use Android Messages as your SMS option, you can now send messages from your browser. Very useful if you have to send a lot of texts for work or whatever - https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/19/1747 ... eb-feature

TN - just tried this and when it works it's pretty flawless. But the connection to my phone seems a bit iffy, even though the phone is right beside the computer and has both Wifi and cell services. Assuming it will get better as they develop it, but it's so much easier sending texts this way. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:57 pm 

Saint wrote:
Anyone looked at any ChromeOS devices yet? The HP X2 looks like it could tick all the boxes.......

ChromeOS is solid. I've had an HP Chromebook G5 for a couple years now. It was actually my work laptop for a bit when the company I worked for used all cloud based / Google products. Now it has taken the place of my old Nexus 10 tablet and my personal Windows 10 desktop.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:59 pm 

Yeah, I had the same issues. When they iron out the bugs it'll be great.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:06 pm 

Snooze wrote:
The Native wrote:

TN - just tried this and when it works it's pretty flawless. But the connection to my phone seems a bit iffy, even though the phone is right beside the computer and has both Wifi and cell services. Assuming it will get better as they develop it, but it's so much easier sending texts this way. Thanks.

I use pushbullet for that great for sending links. I get my phone notifications on my PC and I can send myself texts when I can't find my phone,

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:41 pm 

Boobs not Moobs wrote:
Snooze wrote:
The Native wrote:

I use pushbullet for that great for sending links. I get my phone notifications on my PC and I can send myself texts when I can't find my phone,

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Wimmin.

:P

Now, where did I put that . . . . . .

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:08 pm 

Saint wrote:

I don't get this. Android is owned by Google, no? And Chrome is a Google product, no? So aren't the 2 platforms both really just Google platforms/OS's? How do they differ?

Sorry if stoopid question.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:11 pm 

Boobs not Moobs wrote:
Snooze wrote:
The Native wrote:

I thought PB was no longer available (or do you pay some commercial license?)

Side note: doesn't iMessage work from your computer without being connected to your phone? Hangouts was great for me being able to text from my tablet/ computer when on wifi without my phone (e.g. when I'm on a plane or overseas without mobile service).

Yeah, I get that it's nice to be able to send lots of texts via a keyboard without having to take your phone out of your pocket, but having to 'tether' like that really seems to make it a not-very-useful feature for me. For me, there's really not much merit in abandoning your text app of choice + whatsapp (which has all the other features of RCS messaging, but is cross-platform

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:30 pm 

Snooze wrote:
Saint wrote:

I don't get this. Android is owned by Google, no? And Chrome is a Google product, no? So aren't the 2 platforms both really just Google platforms/OS's? How do they differ?

ChromeOS is more akin to Windows 10S - a stripped down desktop OS, but as it's effectively new from the ground up it's far.more efficient hardware wise so you pay a lot less for equivalent performance.

Although it was originally conceived of as a "thin" device, it increasingly supports offline apps. It also has an Android runtime so supports most Android apps

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:42 pm 

Saint wrote:
Snooze wrote:
Saint wrote:

ChromeOS is more akin to Windows 10S - a stripped down desktop OS, but as it's effectively new from the ground up it's far.more efficient hardware wise so you pay a lot less for equivalent performance.

Although it was originally conceived of as a "thin" device, it increasingly supports offline apps. It also has an Android runtime so supports most Android apps

OK, thanks. Thinking about it, Android being the smartphone OS, and ChromeOS being the tablet/chromebook OS. and they have found a way to bring that to the smartphone world.

Thinking about getting a Chromebook to replace her aging laptop - internet and email usage is really all it's for.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:37 am 

Just got S9+ after being pretty happy with S7. Still moving stuff over but apart from more storage and screen real estate theres not too much that has impressed me. The soft home key but annoys the shit out of me, Bixby never got started and got turned off - its absolute crap. S7 battery performance declined a lot over last 6 months and even replacing battery and resetting dodnt completely solve it. Planned obsolescence?

Also got an S3 - great bit of kit although step counter is very dodgy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:04 pm 

Snooze wrote:
Saint wrote:
Snooze wrote:
Saint wrote:

OK, thanks. Thinking about it, Android being the smartphone OS, and ChromeOS being the tablet/chromebook OS. and they have found a way to bring that to the smartphone world.

Thinking about getting a Chromebook to replace her aging laptop - internet and email usage is really all it's for.

I'm thinking about the HP X2 as my primary laptop/tablet, and only using my corporate device for really hardcore content creation. I don't need to run any VMWare anymore, so it would seriously lighten my load when I'm out and about

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:45 pm 

Predictive text is driving me mad. Every time I put in a name (Swype) it defaults to picking an obscure email address that matches the name. I end up having to type it letter by letter.

So instead of John, I get johncockface@hotmail.com.

How do I stop this?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:04 am 

Uncle Fester wrote:
Predictive text is driving me mad. Every time I put in a name (Swype) it defaults to picking an obscure email address that matches the name. I end up having to type it letter by letter.

How do I stop this?

Use the Google Keyboard instead. It has swipe input as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:07 am 

Uncle Fester wrote:

How do I stop this?

You mates with him as well

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:59 am 

EverReady wrote:
You mates with him as well

:lol: :lol:

I got the Mate 10 again - good kit but Vodafail in Oz disable the secondary SIM :x

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1837 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46