Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1837 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12047
Location: Spiritual Guardianland
It is rage inducing :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 32531
Location: Pigdogistan
Dug out my old Nexus 7 tablet there the other day and charged it up. I factory reset it some time ago as it wasn't working well. Seems to work fine so far now, all apps updates on startup.

Question is, will it be able to cope with the latest OS and app versions etc? I wan to give it to the missus to watch Netflix and it'll be used for little else. Am I better off rooting it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 32531
Location: Pigdogistan
The Native wrote:
So the Oneplus 6 was officially unveiled today. Looks to be an absolute beast as far as hardware goes. Very minimal and clean fuss-free Android that will be updated to Android P almost as soon as it drops. The camera has been mentioned as strong and the top of the range boosts a whopping 8GB of RAM and 256GB storage making expandable memory virtually pointless. Another downside is that it "only" has a full HD screen but I've got a Moto G5S loan phone at the moment and apart from the brightness I can't really tell the difference between full HD and my Note 8. It's also IP68 and has a 3.5mm headphone jack. Little things but really nice to have.

I do treat myself to one expensive gadget per year and this might be the one. As always, the phone is very competitively priced starting at $529 (£469), $579 (£519) and $629 (£569) for the top spec.

https://www.oneplus.com/global/6


I got a Oneplus 5 last year and can't see how someone would want to replace it so soon, barring mishap. It's excellent. Savage battery life given how much I use it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 2934
The Native wrote:
So the Oneplus 6 was officially unveiled today. Looks to be an absolute beast as far as hardware goes. Very minimal and clean fuss-free Android that will be updated to Android P almost as soon as it drops. The camera has been mentioned as strong and the top of the range boosts a whopping 8GB of RAM and 256GB storage making expandable memory virtually pointless. Another downside is that it "only" has a full HD screen but I've got a Moto G5S loan phone at the moment and apart from the brightness I can't really tell the difference between full HD and my Note 8. It's also IP68 and has a 3.5mm headphone jack. Little things but really nice to have.

I do treat myself to one expensive gadget per year and this might be the one. As always, the phone is very competitively priced starting at $529 (£469), $579 (£519) and $629 (£569) for the top spec.

https://www.oneplus.com/global/6


The lady of the house has the mate 10.

A toss up between the two now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:50 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13074
For those that mentioned Bixby, it's utter shit. Google Assistant is far and away the superior choice between itself, Siri, Bixby and Cortana.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7703
Got Note 8 2 months ago, great phone, great camera. Gave my Note 4 to my missus but stopped last month charging, tried a new battery but wouldn't charge. Loved my note 4 brought it to one of those Asian shops but he said would have to take it apart to find out issue :frown: My missus got a P10 lite which she seems to like.
I don't mind Bixby grand for turning on Bluetooth, optimising phone etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:21 pm
Posts: 10
Nolanator wrote:
Dug out my old Nexus 7 tablet there the other day and charged it up. I factory reset it some time ago as it wasn't working well. Seems to work fine so far now, all apps updates on startup.

Question is, will it be able to cope with the latest OS and app versions etc? I wan to give it to the missus to watch Netflix and it'll be used for little else. Am I better off rooting it?


You'll have to root it if you want it to run the latest and greatest. Tried to get my own one up to speed but didn't have too much joy. Contemplating just getting a Kindle fire for chucking in my bag when travelling as the android tablet selection is a bit crap at the moment.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18355
Skawt wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Dug out my old Nexus 7 tablet there the other day and charged it up. I factory reset it some time ago as it wasn't working well. Seems to work fine so far now, all apps updates on startup.

Question is, will it be able to cope with the latest OS and app versions etc? I wan to give it to the missus to watch Netflix and it'll be used for little else. Am I better off rooting it?


You'll have to root it if you want it to run the latest and greatest. Tried to get my own one up to speed but didn't have too much joy. Contemplating just getting a Kindle fire for chucking in my bag when travelling as the android tablet selection is a bit crap at the moment.


Kindle fire is ace. Sideload Google Play, swap in an alternative launcher and Bob's your uncle. Sweet android tablet for about a quarter the price.

Get no ads one though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10691
The Native wrote:
For those that mentioned Bixby, it's utter shit. Google Assistant is far and away the superior choice between itself, Siri, Bixby and Cortana.

Bixby is a fŪcking awful pain in the hole. I cant completely eradicate it from my phone. it's like Japanese knotweed, or the ex.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:07 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13074
etherman wrote:
The Native wrote:
For those that mentioned Bixby, it's utter shit. Google Assistant is far and away the superior choice between itself, Siri, Bixby and Cortana.

Bixby is a fŪcking awful pain in the hole. I cant completely eradicate it from my phone. it's like Japanese knotweed, or the ex.

At least you enjoyed the ex at one point in life. Bixby wouldn't be too bad except for dedicated button that cannot be re-purposed. It also turns on at random times which isn't so much annoying as baffling as I thought I had done everything to turn it off.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10691
The Native wrote:
etherman wrote:
The Native wrote:
For those that mentioned Bixby, it's utter shit. Google Assistant is far and away the superior choice between itself, Siri, Bixby and Cortana.

Bixby is a fŪcking awful pain in the hole. I cant completely eradicate it from my phone. it's like Japanese knotweed, or the ex.

At least you enjoyed the ex at one point in life. Bixby wouldn't be too bad except for dedicated button that cannot be re-purposed. It also turns on at random times which isn't so much annoying as baffling as I thought I had done everything to turn it off.

You can disable the had button
I managed it after much googling.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Posts: 34599
Location: Planet Rock
Luckycharmer wrote:
Got Note 8 2 months ago, great phone, great camera. Gave my Note 4 to my missus but stopped last month charging, tried a new battery but wouldn't charge. Loved my note 4 brought it to one of those Asian shops but he said would have to take it apart to find out issue :frown: My missus got a P10 lite which she seems to like.
I don't mind Bixby grand for turning on Bluetooth, optimising phone etc.

I've got a P10 light. Love it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9785
Question from a friend that's moving to android...
Can she access icloud from her new android phone and then just copy the contacts from there to the android device?
Ta


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15469
Location: South Oxfordshire
Cartman wrote:
Question from a friend that's moving to android...
Can she access icloud from her new android phone and then just copy the contacts from there to the android device?
Ta


www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-swi ... droid/amp/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21721
Skawt wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Dug out my old Nexus 7 tablet there the other day and charged it up. I factory reset it some time ago as it wasn't working well. Seems to work fine so far now, all apps updates on startup.

Question is, will it be able to cope with the latest OS and app versions etc? I wan to give it to the missus to watch Netflix and it'll be used for little else. Am I better off rooting it?


You'll have to root it if you want it to run the latest and greatest. Tried to get my own one up to speed but didn't have too much joy. Contemplating just getting a Kindle fire for chucking in my bag when travelling as the android tablet selection is a bit crap at the moment.

gave up on mine last weekend and got a Samsung galaxy tab a6


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 384
Location: Boston/ London
RuggaBugga wrote:
Skawt wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Dug out my old Nexus 7 tablet there the other day and charged it up. I factory reset it some time ago as it wasn't working well. Seems to work fine so far now, all apps updates on startup.

Question is, will it be able to cope with the latest OS and app versions etc? I wan to give it to the missus to watch Netflix and it'll be used for little else. Am I better off rooting it?


You'll have to root it if you want it to run the latest and greatest. Tried to get my own one up to speed but didn't have too much joy. Contemplating just getting a Kindle fire for chucking in my bag when travelling as the android tablet selection is a bit crap at the moment.


Kindle fire is ace. Sideload Google Play, swap in an alternative launcher and Bob's your uncle. Sweet android tablet for about a quarter the price.

Get no ads one though.
that's... an interesting idea, thank you. A few questions, if I may... Which model do you have? Will it run everything from the Play Store and is basically indistinguishable from a regular Android device? And does it have location/ GPS? (in order to stream from my US tv provider when overseas, I need to use VPN plus a location spoofer because broadcast is restricted to my home zip code). Finally, do you know if it can be rooted? Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:06 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13074
etherman wrote:
The Native wrote:
etherman wrote:
The Native wrote:
For those that mentioned Bixby, it's utter shit. Google Assistant is far and away the superior choice between itself, Siri, Bixby and Cortana.

Bixby is a fŪcking awful pain in the hole. I cant completely eradicate it from my phone. it's like Japanese knotweed, or the ex.

At least you enjoyed the ex at one point in life. Bixby wouldn't be too bad except for dedicated button that cannot be re-purposed. It also turns on at random times which isn't so much annoying as baffling as I thought I had done everything to turn it off.

You can disable the had button
I managed it after much googling.

I have disabled it. But it should be able to be re-mapped and for some reason, Bixby keeps on popping up at random times.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18355
Balls Out! wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
Skawt wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Dug out my old Nexus 7 tablet there the other day and charged it up. I factory reset it some time ago as it wasn't working well. Seems to work fine so far now, all apps updates on startup.

Question is, will it be able to cope with the latest OS and app versions etc? I wan to give it to the missus to watch Netflix and it'll be used for little else. Am I better off rooting it?


You'll have to root it if you want it to run the latest and greatest. Tried to get my own one up to speed but didn't have too much joy. Contemplating just getting a Kindle fire for chucking in my bag when travelling as the android tablet selection is a bit crap at the moment.


Kindle fire is ace. Sideload Google Play, swap in an alternative launcher and Bob's your uncle. Sweet android tablet for about a quarter the price.

Get no ads one though.
that's... an interesting idea, thank you. A few questions, if I may... Which model do you have? Will it run everything from the Play Store and is basically indistinguishable from a regular Android device? And does it have location/ GPS? (in order to stream from my US tv provider when overseas, I need to use VPN plus a location spoofer because broadcast is restricted to my home zip code). Finally, do you know if it can be rooted? Thanks


I have the Kindle Fire 8 (2017) -without special offers

Yes Kindle runs on a modified android platform so once you have sideloaded Google play on it, it runs everthing no probs. There's a ton of guides on the net including on youtube:
https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to ... re-tablet/

It doesn't have GPS unfortunately (at least the 8 doesn't) .

I believe the 7 and 10 can be rooted but the 8 can't. I believe the 10 has the capability built on but it isn't activated or something. Worth looking into further as the spoofer may still work.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10

I don't use it a lot (its for the mrs really) but it's a great device for media. If you actually use Amazon at all it's worth leaving their launcher on as it intergrates with Amazon site, kindle, prime video etc seamlessly and with Playstore sideloaded you can use every app as well.

Worth it if the GPS isn't a deal breaker.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9785
Saint wrote:
Cartman wrote:
Question from a friend that's moving to android...
Can she access icloud from her new android phone and then just copy the contacts from there to the android device?
Ta


http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how ... droid/amp/


Thanks man


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 384
Location: Boston/ London
RuggaBugga wrote:
Balls Out! wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
Skawt wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Dug out my old Nexus 7 tablet there the other day and charged it up. I factory reset it some time ago as it wasn't working well. Seems to work fine so far now, all apps updates on startup.

Question is, will it be able to cope with the latest OS and app versions etc? I wan to give it to the missus to watch Netflix and it'll be used for little else. Am I better off rooting it?


You'll have to root it if you want it to run the latest and greatest. Tried to get my own one up to speed but didn't have too much joy. Contemplating just getting a Kindle fire for chucking in my bag when travelling as the android tablet selection is a bit crap at the moment.


Kindle fire is ace. Sideload Google Play, swap in an alternative launcher and Bob's your uncle. Sweet android tablet for about a quarter the price.

Get no ads one though.
that's... an interesting idea, thank you. A few questions, if I may... Which model do you have? Will it run everything from the Play Store and is basically indistinguishable from a regular Android device? And does it have location/ GPS? (in order to stream from my US tv provider when overseas, I need to use VPN plus a location spoofer because broadcast is restricted to my home zip code). Finally, do you know if it can be rooted? Thanks


I have the Kindle Fire 8 (2017) -without special offers

Yes Kindle runs on a modified android platform so once you have sideloaded Google play on it, it runs everthing no probs. There's a ton of guides on the net including on youtube:
https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to ... re-tablet/

It doesn't have GPS unfortunately (at least the 8 doesn't) .

I believe the 7 and 10 can be rooted but the 8 can't. I believe the 10 has the capability built on but it isn't activated or something. Worth looking into further as the spoofer may still work.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10

Nice one, thanks.

RuggaBugga wrote:
If you actually use Amazon at all it's worth leaving their launcher on as it intergrates with Amazon site, kindle, prime video etc seamlessly and with Playstore sideloaded you can use every app as well.
What's really grinding my gears... I have both Amazon UK and US accounts. I've found that I could buy and stream certain TV shows through Amazon UK - for very, very cheap - that aren't available to stream anywhere (legally) in the US (specifically Braquo seasons 4 and 5, and Forbrydelsen season 2, around $4 for entire seasons, if anyone cares. Individual episodes cost >$4, so no idea how the economics of THAT works, but I'm not complaining).

I can watch them just fine both on the Amazon UK website through a web browser on my laptop without a VPN. However, somehow, my Prime video app on all my devices seems locked to my US account and it won't let me play those shows because they aren't licensed for that geography (note I have same username and password for both accounts, not sure if you can have separate ones).

I've tried VPNs with dedicated UK IP, downloading the app via the UK app store etc - it says I need to contact customer services to get my account region switched, but I worry that if I did that, I wouldn't be allowed to change back to US more than once a year or something (viz: awful experiences with the Sky Sports app).

Long shot, but I don't suppose anyone here has encountered similar and has a workaround?

cheers


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15469
Location: South Oxfordshire
Anyone looked at any ChromeOS devices yet? The HP X2 looks like it could tick all the boxes.......


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:58 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13074
If you use Android Messages as your SMS option, you can now send messages from your browser. Very useful if you have to send a lot of texts for work or whatever - https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/19/1747 ... eb-feature


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3991
Location: Vancouver, BC
The Native wrote:
If you use Android Messages as your SMS option, you can now send messages from your browser. Very useful if you have to send a lot of texts for work or whatever - https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/19/1747 ... eb-feature


TN - just tried this and when it works it's pretty flawless. But the connection to my phone seems a bit iffy, even though the phone is right beside the computer and has both Wifi and cell services. Assuming it will get better as they develop it, but it's so much easier sending texts this way. Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:19 pm
Posts: 7
Location: Amerika
Saint wrote:
Anyone looked at any ChromeOS devices yet? The HP X2 looks like it could tick all the boxes.......


ChromeOS is solid. I've had an HP Chromebook G5 for a couple years now. It was actually my work laptop for a bit when the company I worked for used all cloud based / Google products. Now it has taken the place of my old Nexus 10 tablet and my personal Windows 10 desktop.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:59 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13074
Yeah, I had the same issues. When they iron out the bugs it'll be great.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10859
Snooze wrote:
The Native wrote:
If you use Android Messages as your SMS option, you can now send messages from your browser. Very useful if you have to send a lot of texts for work or whatever - https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/19/1747 ... eb-feature


TN - just tried this and when it works it's pretty flawless. But the connection to my phone seems a bit iffy, even though the phone is right beside the computer and has both Wifi and cell services. Assuming it will get better as they develop it, but it's so much easier sending texts this way. Thanks.


I use pushbullet for that great for sending links. I get my phone notifications on my PC and I can send myself texts when I can't find my phone,


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3991
Location: Vancouver, BC
Boobs not Moobs wrote:
Snooze wrote:
The Native wrote:
If you use Android Messages as your SMS option, you can now send messages from your browser. Very useful if you have to send a lot of texts for work or whatever - https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/19/1747 ... eb-feature


TN - just tried this and when it works it's pretty flawless. But the connection to my phone seems a bit iffy, even though the phone is right beside the computer and has both Wifi and cell services. Assuming it will get better as they develop it, but it's so much easier sending texts this way. Thanks.


I use pushbullet for that great for sending links. I get my phone notifications on my PC and I can send myself texts when I can't find my phone,


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Wimmin.

:P

Now, where did I put that . . . . . .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3991
Location: Vancouver, BC
Saint wrote:
Anyone looked at any ChromeOS devices yet? The HP X2 looks like it could tick all the boxes.......


I don't get this. Android is owned by Google, no? And Chrome is a Google product, no? So aren't the 2 platforms both really just Google platforms/OS's? How do they differ?

Sorry if stoopid question.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 384
Location: Boston/ London
Boobs not Moobs wrote:
Snooze wrote:
The Native wrote:
If you use Android Messages as your SMS option, you can now send messages from your browser. Very useful if you have to send a lot of texts for work or whatever - https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/19/1747 ... eb-feature


TN - just tried this and when it works it's pretty flawless. But the connection to my phone seems a bit iffy, even though the phone is right beside the computer and has both Wifi and cell services. Assuming it will get better as they develop it, but it's so much easier sending texts this way. Thanks.


I use pushbullet for that great for sending links. I get my phone notifications on my PC and I can send myself texts when I can't find my phone,
I thought PB was no longer available (or do you pay some commercial license?)

Side note: doesn't iMessage work from your computer without being connected to your phone? Hangouts was great for me being able to text from my tablet/ computer when on wifi without my phone (e.g. when I'm on a plane or overseas without mobile service).

Yeah, I get that it's nice to be able to send lots of texts via a keyboard without having to take your phone out of your pocket, but having to 'tether' like that really seems to make it a not-very-useful feature for me. For me, there's really not much merit in abandoning your text app of choice + whatsapp (which has all the other features of RCS messaging, but is cross-platform


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15469
Location: South Oxfordshire
Snooze wrote:
Saint wrote:
Anyone looked at any ChromeOS devices yet? The HP X2 looks like it could tick all the boxes.......


I don't get this. Android is owned by Google, no? And Chrome is a Google product, no? So aren't the 2 platforms both really just Google platforms/OS's? How do they differ?

Sorry if stoopid question.


ChromeOS is more akin to Windows 10S - a stripped down desktop OS, but as it's effectively new from the ground up it's far.more efficient hardware wise so you pay a lot less for equivalent performance.

Although it was originally conceived of as a "thin" device, it increasingly supports offline apps. It also has an Android runtime so supports most Android apps


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3991
Location: Vancouver, BC
Saint wrote:
Snooze wrote:
Saint wrote:
Anyone looked at any ChromeOS devices yet? The HP X2 looks like it could tick all the boxes.......


I don't get this. Android is owned by Google, no? And Chrome is a Google product, no? So aren't the 2 platforms both really just Google platforms/OS's? How do they differ?

Sorry if stoopid question.


ChromeOS is more akin to Windows 10S - a stripped down desktop OS, but as it's effectively new from the ground up it's far.more efficient hardware wise so you pay a lot less for equivalent performance.

Although it was originally conceived of as a "thin" device, it increasingly supports offline apps. It also has an Android runtime so supports most Android apps


OK, thanks. Thinking about it, Android being the smartphone OS, and ChromeOS being the tablet/chromebook OS. and they have found a way to bring that to the smartphone world.

Thinking about getting a Chromebook to replace her aging laptop - internet and email usage is really all it's for.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6528
Just got S9+ after being pretty happy with S7. Still moving stuff over but apart from more storage and screen real estate theres not too much that has impressed me. The soft home key but annoys the shit out of me, Bixby never got started and got turned off - its absolute crap. S7 battery performance declined a lot over last 6 months and even replacing battery and resetting dodnt completely solve it. Planned obsolescence?

Also got an S3 - great bit of kit although step counter is very dodgy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15469
Location: South Oxfordshire
Snooze wrote:
Saint wrote:
Snooze wrote:
Saint wrote:
Anyone looked at any ChromeOS devices yet? The HP X2 looks like it could tick all the boxes.......


I don't get this. Android is owned by Google, no? And Chrome is a Google product, no? So aren't the 2 platforms both really just Google platforms/OS's? How do they differ?

Sorry if stoopid question.


ChromeOS is more akin to Windows 10S - a stripped down desktop OS, but as it's effectively new from the ground up it's far.more efficient hardware wise so you pay a lot less for equivalent performance.

Although it was originally conceived of as a "thin" device, it increasingly supports offline apps. It also has an Android runtime so supports most Android apps


OK, thanks. Thinking about it, Android being the smartphone OS, and ChromeOS being the tablet/chromebook OS. and they have found a way to bring that to the smartphone world.

Thinking about getting a Chromebook to replace her aging laptop - internet and email usage is really all it's for.


I'm thinking about the HP X2 as my primary laptop/tablet, and only using my corporate device for really hardcore content creation. I don't need to run any VMWare anymore, so it would seriously lighten my load when I'm out and about


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21721
Predictive text is driving me mad. Every time I put in a name (Swype) it defaults to picking an obscure email address that matches the name. I end up having to type it letter by letter.

So instead of John, I get johncockface@hotmail.com.

How do I stop this?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:04 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13074
Uncle Fester wrote:
Predictive text is driving me mad. Every time I put in a name (Swype) it defaults to picking an obscure email address that matches the name. I end up having to type it letter by letter.

So instead of John, I get johncockface@hotmail.com.

How do I stop this?

Use the Google Keyboard instead. It has swipe input as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27306
Uncle Fester wrote:
Predictive text is driving me mad. Every time I put in a name (Swype) it defaults to picking an obscure email address that matches the name. I end up having to type it letter by letter.

So instead of John, I get johncockface@hotmail.com.

How do I stop this?


You mates with him as well


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Android thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 2934
EverReady wrote:
You mates with him as well


:lol: :lol:

I got the Mate 10 again - good kit but Vodafail in Oz disable the secondary SIM :x


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1837 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AD345, anagallis_arvensis, Bayern, BBC 2, Beaver_Shark, booji boy, CrazyIslander, DOB, eldanielfire, Fangle, FullbackAce, Google Adsense [Bot], iarmhiman, Kanbei, kerrandy, Lazy Couch potato, New guy, ovalball, pigaaaa, SamShark, Theflier, The Native, TheSmurf, troglodiet, Wilderbeast and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group