Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:51 pm 

Don't get uppity, don't make jokes about Brexit or JRM or BoJo, don't suggest they didn't know what they were voting for, and you'll be just fine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50644317
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... rity-feast

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:59 pm 

If there is one thing the right and the left can do is feign shock at being insulted.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:02 pm 

dantedelew wrote:
Don't get uppity, don't make jokes about Brexit or JRM or BoJo, don't suggest they didn't know what they were voting for, and you'll be just fine.

Err, know your audience before you open your mouth or take the gig.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:09 pm 

I'm glad. He's shit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:13 pm 

Is it not that they can't be arsed with yet another left comic.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:15 pm 

dantedelew wrote:

ROFLMAO

Thats your take on it?

Lefty unfunny Feckwit behaves like a feckwit, get called out for it and then moans like shit.

"Nish Kumar tried his student union calibrated Mash Report material out on a crowd of middle-aged cricket fans"
"I’ve been at the Lord Taverners Christmas lunch (raising money for disabled kids to play sport).

Nish Kumar was booked as the comedian. He had a shocker. Kicked off with how sh*t Boris was at everything and then moved on to imperial British rule gags. He then praised former speaker Bercow (in audience). Moved on to why Brexit was a bad idea. We should have a second referendum as the only way out, because it had all gone badly. Everyone was thick. The audience were racist. The audience were disrespectful to Second World War dead.

Tried to recover with a half-arsed apology which was he was doing gig for free and if we all donated more the charity could pay a right wing comic Instead of him for free… Nearly £200,000 raised at the lunch.

Was being slow Clapped. Refused to leave stage until clapping ended otherwise they would have to continue for his fully allotted time… another 4 minutes.

Eventually the compere (someone he described as “dressed like he worked for the queen”) stepped on to the stage. Killed his mic and ushered him away.

During it all a bread roll was thrown."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:30 pm 

And other lefty news about biting Gammon (well not the spazzy remain shite meme) but proper "pigs"

"The son of Diane Abbott, the Shadow Home Secretary, has been arrested for biting a police officer on Whitehall on Friday. He was charged in Westminster magistrates court yesterday. Cambridge-educated James was bailed over to appear in Central London magistrates court in February.

The incident happened outside the Foreign Office from where he was sacked from his Rome Embassy job in June. "

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:00 pm 

Glaston wrote:
dantedelew wrote:

ROFLMAO

Thats your take on it?

Lefty unfunny Feckwit behaves like a feckwit, get called out for it and then moans like shit.

"Nish Kumar tried his student union calibrated Mash Report material out on a crowd of middle-aged cricket fans"
"I’ve been at the Lord Taverners Christmas lunch (raising money for disabled kids to play sport).

Nish Kumar was booked as the comedian. He had a shocker. Kicked off with how sh*t Boris was at everything and then moved on to imperial British rule gags. He then praised former speaker Bercow (in audience). Moved on to why Brexit was a bad idea. We should have a second referendum as the only way out, because it had all gone badly. Everyone was thick. The audience were racist. The audience were disrespectful to Second World War dead.

Tried to recover with a half-arsed apology which was he was doing gig for free and if we all donated more the charity could pay a right wing comic Instead of him for free… Nearly £200,000 raised at the lunch.

Was being slow Clapped. Refused to leave stage until clapping ended otherwise they would have to continue for his fully allotted time… another 4 minutes.

Eventually the compere (someone he described as “dressed like he worked for the queen”) stepped on to the stage. Killed his mic and ushered him away.

To be fair could they just not let him get on with his crap comedy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:10 pm 

dantedelew wrote:

Shit comedian doesn't know his audience and it backfires. Been the same for live stand-up for decades mate. Nothing to do with him being Asian of they being white.

Twitter had plenty of clips how how awful he was and anyone who has tragically encountered the Mash report knows he's desperately unfunny already.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:12 pm 

Maybe a charity lunch is the wrong place for an overtly political set, whatever those politics may be.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:14 pm 

croyals wrote:
Maybe a charity lunch is the wrong place for an overtly political set, whatever those politics may be.

If twitter is right, then his Brexit stand-up is "White people go home and kill your grandparents over brexit". And that's it. I don't think Dave Chapelle is seeing a challenger here.

Last edited by eldanielfire on Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:15 pm 

le chat wrote:
Glaston wrote:
dantedelew wrote:

ROFLMAO

Thats your take on it?

To be fair could they just not let him get on with his crap comedy.

That's my feeling. It's somewhat entitled to start booing, slow handclapping, and lobbing bread rolls at someone who is doing a charity gig, even if he's a bit shit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:19 pm 

He added it was particularly funny when he told the jeering audience “I should have known this would happen when I agreed to do a set in front of people who colonised my ancestors”. One man shouted back: “That was ages ago.”

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:20 pm 

Fücking snowflakes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:22 pm 

IBWT wrote:
He added it was particularly funny when he told the jeering audience “I should have known this would happen when I agreed to do a set in front of people who colonised my ancestors”. One man shouted back: “That was ages ago.”

:lol: :lol:

That is far funnier than anything Nish Kumar has ever said.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:48 pm 

In their defense they threw bread rolls and not bottles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:58 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:02 pm 

fatcat wrote:
Spoiler: show

Not a convincing headline, Jess Philips only talks about a topic she can make into about herself:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:23 pm 

It's been a while since we saw an op as shit as this. Who is this Cuck?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:17 pm 

le chat wrote:
Is it not that they can't be arsed with yet another left comic.

I routinely boo people I disagree with.

Causes me no end of bother at work.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:22 pm 

dantedelew wrote:

I loved this little footnote in that Guardian link
Quote:
Since you’re here….
We have a small favour to ask. The Guardian is expanding its New Zealand coverage to engage with the most critical issues affecting New Zealanders – from the escalating climate catastrophe to widespread inequality to social and housing issues. At a time when factual information is a necessity, we believe you deserve access to accurate reporting with integrity at its heart. But we need your ongoing support to keep up this work.

More people in New Zealand, like you, are reading and supporting the Guardian’s journalism – made possible by our choice to keep it open to all. We do not have a paywall because we believe everyone deserves access to factual information, regardless of where they live or what they can afford.

Our editorial independence means we set our own agenda and voice our own opinions. Guardian journalism is free from commercial and political bias and not influenced by billionaire owners or shareholders.This means we can give a voice to those less heard, explore where others turn away, and rigorously challenge those in power.

We need your support to keep delivering quality journalism, to maintain our openness and to protect our precious independence. Every reader contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support The Guardian from as little as NZ$1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.

Can't wait.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:28 pm 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
It's been a while since we saw an op as shit as this. Who is this Cuck?

tbh it's shit and the 2 posters above you seem to lap this shit up.
Pathetic twats

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:29 pm 

The comedian sounds like the soft-cock.

Got triggered by a bit of heckling and ran away.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:36 pm 

Dark wrote:

Errrrrrrr, no

Whoever booked him for that gig needs their head looking at. Completely the wrong crowd for him, but he's been pretty consistent in what he does for the last few years, so they can't claim to be surprised.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:38 pm 

Political comedy is shit really isn't it?

I'm always amazed people pay good money to be lectured to by boring comedians like Nish Kumar or Russell Howard, I don't get the appeal at all. I imagine somebody throwing a bread roll was by far the most entertaining part of the routine.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:42 pm 

He’d have won them over with a decent catch of the roll.

He’s not funny and went straight in with insulting the audience- expected outcome all round.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:45 pm 

New guy wrote:

I'm always amazed people pay good money to be lectured to by boring comedians like Nish Kumar or Russell Howard, I don't get the appeal at all. I imagine somebody throwing a bread roll was by far the most entertaining part of the routine.

Actually once upon a time political comedy was excellent. Once upon a time we had things like the golden years of Have I Got News For You, Drop the Dead Donkey, Rory Bremner and Friday/Saturday Night Armistice. All really well observed and witty political comedies of different kinds. All mostly written or delivered by mostly left wingers, but there weren't simply rehashing a political angle, they dissected and ripped into the politics of all sides. It was genuinely all great stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:47 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
New guy wrote:

Actually once upon a time political comedy was excellent. Once upon a time we had things like the golden years of Have I Got News For You, Drop the Dead Donkey, Rory Bremner and Friday/Saturday Night Armistice. All really well observed and witty political comedies of different kinds. All mostly written or delivered by mostly left wingers, but there weren't simply rehashing a political angle, they dissected and ripped into the politics of all sides. It was genuinely all great stuff.

The modern political comedians are the equivalent of booking chubby brown for the imams birthday. No wit just bile.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:49 pm 

Glaston wrote:
dantedelew wrote:

ROFLMAO

Thats your take on it?

Racist jokes are not that funny...
doubt you'll find many, but yeah no right wing comedian would be doing a gig for free either

you can have this one
Spoiler: show

loves racist jokes and fart jokes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:00 pm 

New guy wrote:

Not if its actually funny

Many of the most celebrated comedians of all time were almost exclusively 'political'. Lenny Bruce, Mort Sahl, Carlin, Bill Hicks etc. The problem with most political comedy today is that they prefer to preach to the converted and are looking for "clap-ter" over actual laughs - and have ready and willing audiences lining up to do it. There's clearly a growing fatigue with this approach now such that even the likes of Seth Meyers, who has made his career on liberal political humour, introduced a 'skip political material' pop up on his latest Netflix special.

Colin Quinn's last special (more of a one man show) on CNN is probably the best example I can think of proper political humour. Think it's called Red State Blue State.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:05 pm 

Most political comedy is not clever. Even historically. There's no art to it. No creativity.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:09 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
New guy wrote:

You had more serious politicians (better material to work with). The current bunch are mostly a bunch of shallow jokers and charlatans. The likes of Abbott, Raab, hancock, burgon, grayling etc......

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:24 pm 

New guy wrote:

nah, this was:
IBWT wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:45 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
Dark wrote:

Errrrrrrr, no

Whoever booked him for that gig needs their head looking at. Completely the wrong crowd for him, but he's been pretty consistent in what he does for the last few years, so they can't claim to be surprised.

It’s a pretty poor take. By all accounts the comedian wasn’t particularly triggered himself (laughed about it on Twitter instead of complaining) and actively tried to stay on stage as opposed to running off.

I haven’t seen anything original by Nish but I liked him in taskmaster. He was shit at the tasks but more than happy to laugh at himself over it, which is normally a good sign.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:17 am 

Had the misfortune of seeing this plum at the Edinburgh festival around 2015 and all he did was rant about 'white people'. I think, in his own mind, he thought it was all very edgy but it was just not funny, like a bien pensant Chubby Brown.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:31 am 

naki wrote:
New guy wrote:

Many of the most celebrated comedians of all time were almost exclusively 'political'. Lenny Bruce, Mort Sahl, Carlin, Bill Hicks etc. The problem with most political comedy today is that they prefer to preach to the converted and are looking for "clap-ter" over actual laughs - and have ready and willing audiences lining up to do it. There's clearly a growing fatigue with this approach now such that even the likes of Seth Meyers, who has made his career on liberal political humour, introduced a 'skip political material' pop up on his latest Netflix special.

Colin Quinn's last special (more of a one man show) on CNN is probably the best example I can think of proper political humour. Think it's called Red State Blue State.

Bill Hicks was broad enough and open minded enough to clobber all forms of top-down politics irrespective of whether they were left or right. Hated consumerism, of course. But - just like Carlin - couldn't stand the preachy know-better alternative that is generally held up as an antidote. I suspect that even-handed sledgehammer is part of the reason they each garnered such a devoted following. They were both more philosophical than partisan. They were - in other words - vastly more sophisticated thinkers than a lot of the hack, one-sided comedians doing the rounds these days.

'Clap-ter' is a superb neologism, by the way. Where's it from?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:47 am 

hermes-trismegistus wrote:
naki wrote:
New guy wrote:

Bill Hicks was broad enough and open minded enough to clobber all forms of top-down politics irrespective of whether they were left or right. Hated consumerism, of course. But - just like Carlin - couldn't stand the preachy know-better alternative that is generally held up as an antidote. I suspect that even-handed sledgehammer is part of the reason they each garnered such a devoted following. They were both more philosophical than partisan. They were - in other words - vastly more sophisticated thinkers than a lot of the hack, one-sided comedians doing the rounds these days.

'Clap-ter' is a superb neologism, by the way. Where's it from?

I agree, both Hicks and Carlin - while being nominally liberal in the American sense - had philosophical rather than strictly political beefs with the world around them and like most of the best comedians zeroed in on hypocrisy more than anything else. I'd suspect both of them would have a field day with both sides of the US political aisle these days.

But it is a lucrative business to be partisan these days. Jim Jefferies had a massive career boost when he started taking on conservative bugbears. Amy Schumer, after "playing" a foul mouthed Sarah Silverman-type shock artist for years, saw the benefit of ramping up her political content as she became more and more successful. You even saw poor besieged Louis CK, who had always been both liberal and willing to poke fun at liberals, going all in for Hillary before the last election - though it didn't save him from his comeuppance.

It's interesting though that arguably the best or at least most notable Americans comics working today are ostensibly liberal-minded comedians who have come under fire for criticising the hypocrisy of the left of late - Bill Burr, Dave Chappelle. For anyone with a well-honed bullshit detector there are plenty of sacred cows wandering about. Not sure how the climate is in the UK. Of course the recipe for truly huge success eg Kevin Hart, Jerry Seinfeld, even Sebastian Maniscalco its always safer to say completely apolitical.

Clap-ter? Probably stole it from an interview somewhere, seems to fit perfectly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:49 am 

BillW wrote:
dantedelew wrote:

Quote:
Since you’re here….
We have a small favour to ask. The Guardian is expanding its New Zealand coverage to engage with the most critical issues affecting New Zealanders – from the escalating climate catastrophe to widespread inequality to social and housing issues. At a time when factual information is a necessity, we believe you deserve access to accurate reporting with integrity at its heart. But we need your ongoing support to keep up this work.

More people in New Zealand, like you, are reading and supporting the Guardian’s journalism – made possible by our choice to keep it open to all. We do not have a paywall because we believe everyone deserves access to factual information, regardless of where they live or what they can afford.

Our editorial independence means we set our own agenda and voice our own opinions. Guardian journalism is free from commercial and political bias and not influenced by billionaire owners or shareholders.This means we can give a voice to those less heard, explore where others turn away, and rigorously challenge those in power.

We need your support to keep delivering quality journalism, to maintain our openness and to protect our precious independence. Every reader contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support The Guardian from as little as NZ$1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.

Can't wait.

Their Journalism isn't actually that partisan, certainly in comparison to some of the other papers out there - Their opinion columns clearly are but thats a slightly different issue to their journalism IMO.

Edit to add: Had the daft plums not seen Nish Kumars stand-up before booking him? Seems harsh to berate the comic for doing a similar act to that which has made him successful more than the idiot who selected him.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:57 am 

blindcider wrote:
BillW wrote:
dantedelew wrote:

Quote:
Since you’re here….

Can't wait.

Their Journalism isn't actually that partisan, certainly in comparison to some of the other papers out there - Their opinion columns clearly are but thats a slightly different issue to their journalism IMO.

Edit to add: Had the daft plums not seen Nish Kumars stand-up before booking him? Seems harsh to berate the comic for doing a similar act to that which has made him successful more than the idiot who selected him.

Agreed, you wouldn't book Jim Davidson to compere at the Women's Equality Party's Christmas party. Know your audience.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:01 am 

Quote:
The Irish Border

@BorderIrish
14h14 hours ago

The inability of a Lords’ Taverner to hit a comedian with a bread roll from cover tells you all you need to know about the current state of English cricket.