Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2592 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:40 am 

We truly live in the age of stupid.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:55 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:

I often find myself wondering whether 'Idiocracy' was more of a terrifying prophecy than terrible comedy more and more these days.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:47 am 

Working Class Rugger wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

I often find myself wondering whether 'Idiocracy' was more of a terrifying prophecy than terrible comedy more and more these days.

Trump isn't quite as jacked as Terry Crews, but other than that the prophecy holds up I think

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:36 am 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Fat Old Git wrote:

And it is not coincidental that it arrived as the internet became widely entrenched in society.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:46 am 

Enzedder wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

And it is not coincidental that it arrived as the internet became widely entrenched in society.

I think you are mistaking a symptomatic link for a causal link.

There seems to be more stupid about because the internet allows them to communicate their stupidity in ways which weren't possible before. Suggesting that the Internet makes people stupid (which what I think you are saying) is silly.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:57 am 

Rinkals wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

There seems to be more stupid about because the internet allows them to communicate their stupidity in ways which weren't possible before. Suggesting that the Internet makes people stupid (which what I think you are saying) is silly.

I agree - they may have been stupid or susceptible to stupid idea before - but the monorail salesmen used to have physically go from town to town, now they can sell monorails to all the towns simultaneously without ever having to leave their parents basement or Russian cyber-troll factory.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:01 am 

This one been done

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/prognosis/article/Texas-state-rep-calls-vaccines-sorcery-13826725.php

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 5:21 pm 

Fat Old Git wrote:

And it gets worse

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 5:30 pm 

Damn, that's beyond willful ignorance, that's Silver levels of stupidity right there.

"No one dies from Measles." You dense asshole.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 5:37 pm 

Rinkals wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

True - but it also makes it far easier to access ill-informed opinion than ever before. Historically the info available to people has been fairly well tested prior to publication. As such it was easy to be a passive consumer and trust to its accuracy. The internet allows for a mass of untested info to reach people, but it's being consumed and trusted as if it's as tested and accurate as before

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 5:37 pm 

BokJock wrote:

From that article:
Quote:
But Stickland continued the onslaught with others happy to engage the fight. In a span of an hour, he tweeted that vaccines are "dangerous," that a doctor concerned about the child's vulnerability to disease is a "brainwashed commie" :shock: and that a defender of science is a "typical leftist trying to take credit for something only The Lord God Almighty is in control of." :shock:

There really is no limit to the stupidity of some Republicans

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:01 am 

If you're pro plague, and don't immunise your child against an easily preventable disease, you should be charged with child endangerment. If the child dies, you should be charged with manslaughter.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:15 am 

Zakar wrote:
If you're pro plague, and don't immunise your child against an easily preventable disease, you should be charged with child endangerment. If the child dies, you should be charged with manslaughter.

Issue would be that the fuckers would hold them up as martyrs for the cause. I've always thought that if you don't vaccinate your children and they infect others leading to serious consequences the parents of the innocent children should have the ability via legislation to be able to sue the anti-vax fuckheads into oblivion. I honestly think that would scare them far more than the prospect of nervous showers.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:52 am 

Saint wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

True - but it also makes it far easier to access ill-informed opinion than ever before. Historically the info available to people has been fairly well tested prior to publication. As such it was easy to be a passive consumer and trust to its accuracy. The internet allows for a mass of untested info to reach people, but it's being consumed and trusted as if it's as tested and accurate as before

Point taken.

But surely you have to be stupid to begin with?

While the internet does allow misinformation to be widely disseminated, it also provides the resources to validate and refute.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:01 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:

Thank god! I was made for times like these.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:28 am 

MungoMan wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

Thank god! I was made for times like these.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:06 pm 

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:12 pm 

Fat Old Git wrote:

The only thing Idiocracy got wrong was that it'd take 500 years to get to that point.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:17 am 

Somebody ate the onion

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:23 am 

:lol: I hope he doesn't get in too much trouble for that

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:40 am 

Zakar wrote:

Issue would be that the fuckers would hold them up as martyrs for the cause. I've always thought that if you don't vaccinate your children and they infect others leading to serious consequences the parents of the innocent children should have the ability via legislation to be able to sue the anti-vax fuckheads into oblivion. I honestly think that would scare them far more than the prospect of nervous showers.

Yes. There's case law in England that says that knowingly going about in public with an infectious disease is a public nuisance (a crime) and if a person could prove they were infected by that person they could sue in private nuisance (a tort) and probably other causes as well. It would be an extension of the law to sue a parent who negligently created the risk of their unvaccinated child becoming a public nuisance and so causing harm to others, but I don't see why the argument should inevitably fail.

If in a suitable case it was tried and it did fail for reasons of law, I agree that legislation should be introduced to amend the law to allow actions like that to succeed.

A few well publicised bankruptcies and the pro-plaguers would be queuing outside the jab clinic from first light. The selfishness that makes them freeload on herd immunity also makes them very sensitive to being made poor.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 2:09 pm 

Lord Denning wrote:
Zakar wrote:

Yes. There's case law in England that says that knowingly going about in public with an infectious disease is a public nuisance (a crime) and if a person could prove they were infected by that person they could sue in private nuisance (a tort) and probably other causes as well. It would be an extension of the law to sue a parent who negligently created the risk of their unvaccinated child becoming a public nuisance and so causing harm to others, but I don't see why the argument should inevitably fail.

If in a suitable case it was tried and it did fail for reasons of law, I agree that legislation should be introduced to amend the law to allow actions like that to succeed.

A few well publicised bankruptcies and the pro-plaguers would be queuing outside the jab clinic from first light. The selfishness that makes them freeload on herd immunity also makes them very sensitive to being made poor.

Is that only if it is a notifiable infectious disease?

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:39 am 

Conversation between an aunt and her niece. Wow!
Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:10 am 

Good God I hope that's a troll. "My many hours on google make me the equivalent of an immunologist" :lol: That's just a little on the nose right there.

The most succinct catch-all response to these types I've seen is "Your inability to grasp Science is NOT a valid argument against it"

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:18 am 

Turbogoat wrote:
Good God I hope that's a troll. "My many hours on google make me the equivalent of an immunologist" :lol: That's just a little on the nose right there.

The most succinct catch-all response to these types I've seen is "Your inability to grasp Science is NOT a valid argument against it"

I have read the comments on Reddit - FWIW, it looks genuine enough 🤦🏻‍♂️😱

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:30 am 

Turbogoat wrote:

I can absolutely believe someone could do 'hours of research' and genuinely believe they have the equivalent knowledge base to that of an immunologist. Because I have had very similar interactions with an uncle of mine. A right nutter (being anti-vax is actually his least crazy argument) who I've been taking apart at family events for years. Fortunately, there's been a schism in the family and he and his deluded sprog are no longer welcome.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:40 pm 

Watch 'em come crawling back for "their share" of Mother's estate after she's gone, though.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:50 pm 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Rinkals wrote:
Saint wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

Point taken.

But surely you have to be stupid to begin with?

While the internet does allow misinformation to be widely disseminated, it also provides the resources to validate and refute.

Yes, but in the past the stupid still got vaccines because their doctor told them to. Now they don't ask because they found out something on the internet and accepted it as valid. i.e the point made in red is the problem and then they can spread this "information" to other susceptible morons and the "Houston, we have a problem"

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:18 pm 

It’s not about the science to these people, it’s about making sure the Gubment doesn’t screw you over!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 2:38 am 

Interesting to see this vid from Robert F Kennedy Jr on some of the issues of the Vaccine industry as opposed to the premise of vaccines themselves, I learnt a few interesting things re the lack of oversight/proper testing and the protection exemptions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMH6hfw ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:09 am 

Sandstorm wrote:
It’s not about the science to these people, it’s about making sure the Gubment doesn’t screw you over!!!!

Science is just a belief system don't you know. [\people who don't understand science]

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:18 am 

Hong Kong wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:

The niece would know whether or not her aunt went to college.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:48 am 

It's a microcosm of what we're seeing on all sorts of issues, this strident attitude that experts are one of the following:

charlatans
instruments of misinformation and control whether that be at the behest of governments or corporate interests (or the illuminati)
misinformed

Combined with the notion that hours of poring over random pages down bestows them with some arcane knowledge and insight that the masses just can't grasp or access.

Misplaced superiority complex combined with genuine stupidity and/or ignorance.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 2:03 pm 

c69 wrote:
Lord Denning wrote:
Zakar wrote:

Is that only if it is a notifiable infectious disease?

The authorities are old (1815 and 1881) so they make no mention of notifiable diseases. The later one says "When the disease is infectious, there is a legal obligation on the sick person, and on those who have the custody of him, not to do anything that can be avoided which shall tend to spread the infection..." so it leaves it wide open.

In any event, measles, whopping cough, diphtheria, mumps and rubella - i.e. the core of the infectious childhood diseases vaccinated against - are all notifiable.

I imagine an action like that against someone with a cold would fail on the basis that the likelihood of harm be too low and too remote. Going to a hospital ward when you know you have flu though...

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 2:05 pm 

Macrosan wrote:
Hong Kong wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:

The niece would know whether or not her aunt went to college.

I have several aunts whose educational history I have no idea about.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:50 am 

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:18 am 

Taranaki Snapper

Absolutely outstanding. The best part is knowing the stupid bint will rush home from hospital and spread this conspiracy rumour among her equally vapid friends.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:19 am 

Taranaki Snapper wrote:

:lol: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:36 am 

I really want to believe that anecdote is true.

It should certainly work on some people.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:38 am 

Kiwias wrote:
Taranaki Snapper

Absolutely outstanding. The best part is knowing the stupid bint will rush home from hospital and spread this conspiracy rumour among her equally vapid friends.

I so want this to be true...it's from reddit, so it must be, right?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2592 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65  Next