It is currently Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

How much bored
- Mmm...much. 49%  49%  [ 30 ]
- Not that much. 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
- No. The music is much great ! 41%  41%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 61
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:24 pm 

Are you disappointed with the music right now ? .. do you feel this is a strong era music wise ?
Do you feel past decades were objectively richer, or do you feel it's about the same, or do you feel it's even better now.
Are you happy with the creativity and quality of the music of the past decade :?: :idea: :arrow:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:32 pm 

As you get older, you lose your enthusiasm to investigate and discover new music. Music is the same as it ever was but we are getting weaker mentally.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:08 pm 

Tschussie wrote:
As you get older, you lose your enthusiasm to investigate and discover new music. Music is the same as it ever was but we are getting weaker mentally.

When I was younger there were Nirvana, Guns n Roses, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Faith no More, Red Hot Chili peppers, Coolio, Tupac, Gipsy Kings, Megadeth, Robert Miles, REM, etc etc etc etc etc all releasing album on same years.
Honestly I do not see anything like that now

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:19 pm 

The music I'm into has never been better or more accessible :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:26 pm 

Tschussie wrote:

Yeah. Bollox. And your 2nd sentence highlights the truth: there is nothing new**.

**Not necessarily all bad.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:33 pm 

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Tschussie wrote:

Yeah. Bollox. And your 2nd sentence highlights the truth: there is nothing new**.

Music is different now but we are getting old. Music always has original ideas on the fringes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:35 pm 

AlanBengio wrote:
Tschussie wrote:

When I was younger there were Nirvana, Guns n Roses, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Faith no More, Red Hot Chili peppers, Coolio, Tupac, Gipsy Kings, Megadeth, Robert Miles, REM, etc etc etc etc etc all releasing album on same years.

Maybe the money is in performing now as everyone rips off the albums.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:35 pm 

Tschussie wrote:

Possibly, but I am devouring new music at the moment. The internet has become a magical tool for discovering new bands

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:36 pm 

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Tschussie wrote:

Your post would look like the wall of a pre-school class if it had all the necessary asterisks on it

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:36 pm 

Where are the ABBAs of today?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:37 pm 

I listen to very little music these days, but that I do listen to, appears to me that the artist all seem to be all out to show their vocal range. Even to screaming. :?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:37 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
Tschussie wrote:

Possibly, but I am devouring new music at the moment. The internet has become a magical tool for discovering new bands

Yeah but you are the exception, not the rule.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:39 pm 

In fairness I have comparatively little in the way of demands on my time. I do have a friend in his 40s who knows basically all current music inside out. Dude's knowledge is freakish

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:41 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
In fairness I have comparatively little in the way of demands on my time. I do have a friend in his 40s who knows basically all current music inside out. Dude's knowledge is freakish

Like exercise, the brain and the body need to stay alert. If you stay sharp then your mind can appreciate.

Edit: I sound like a wanker.

Last edited by Tschussie on Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:42 pm 

I think it has become more difficult to find the really good music that appeals to you - partly because there is just so much music easily available - it takes a huge effort to sort through all the dross. And the mainstream 'pop' music is so bland, and dumbed down now, so you rarely see really good bands there - as you would have done 20 years ago.

The other issue is - because you can have all your own music instantly available, wherever you are, you are more likely to just go with something you know you like, than put the radio on and get, maybe, 1 in 10 tracks that interest you.

Fortunately, for me, I get suggestions from people in my guitar club that help me find artists I like.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:42 pm 

I like a bit of scream though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzsGmdmhDTI

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:45 pm 

As a given, current musicians that are making waves aren't very good at playing their instruments.
There are always exceptions and niche markets and the world is still full of talented musicians.
They just don't seem to be making it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:51 pm 

Flametop wrote:
As a given, current musicians that are making waves aren't very good at playing their instruments.
There are always exceptions and niche markets and the world is still full of talented musicians.
They just don't seem to be making it.

If you want to make it big - you just don't waste your time learning an instrument - it simply isn't needed for most chart acts.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:03 pm 

Good new music is hard to find but it is out there

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:06 pm 

AlanBengio wrote:
Tschussie wrote:

You're really stretching with some of those names! Coolio FFS

Music is still in good health if you look for it.

I'm not sure about kids going looking for it as much nowadays though, I think they just go for playlists on spotify.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:15 pm 

Tschussie wrote:

True, but I do go through the effort though. My actual final conclusions aren't important for the sake of the thread, and this isn't a music forum, but I would look at a few objective things:

- you could actually listen to good mainstream music back then. Turned on the radio in the car, and actually find yourself singing along. Ace of Base, Michael Jackson...there were good musicians with actually good song-writing. Now, that is totally impossible. No musician listens to Katy Perry, or Will Smith's fkng kids, and what not.

- if you take a genre as massive/influential as metal music, and you look at the best albums, they're all from the 80's or 90's, and it's not only because of legendary status, it's because, when the fokking hellllll is the last time you've heard out a Master of Puppets, Reign in Blood, Covenant... no movement has achieved the pure abundance of creativity from those two decades, no band today is comparable to a Morbid Angel or a Metallica, and no album is a magnum opus in the same breath as those landmarks.

What current band (from any genre) can you put alongside the classics, as equals or better, and not start blushing from shame ? I wouldn't have any, and it's not for glorifying my own nostalgic period.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:19 pm 

there's always been good stuff, mehh stuff and outright shite.

Sometimes it takes the good stuff awhile to become accessible.

I'm rapidly getting to the end of my 50th decade and I reckon music is as good as it's ever been. I still look back to stuff way before I 'awoke' to music so I have stuff like Atomic Rooster, Peter Green, Free etc all the way through to the current stuff. Fair enough I usually lag a year or two behind the cutting edge, but that's because it takes a while to filter through.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:20 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
Tschussie wrote:

well quite, music has never been more accessible.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:24 pm 

Tschussie wrote:

What a load of bollocks.

Those who think like this can't really like music that much at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:40 pm 

The big stadium rock band thing is gone to shit and has been for a long while. (except for the same old bands doing it)
But there is still great music there, you just gotta look under the rock dork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOWf8uqGf8A

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:44 pm 

Kid A wrote:
Tschussie wrote:

What a load of bollocks.

I constantly listen to new music but I was making the point that many people harken backwards. Usually looking to their teenage years.

If you didn't get that from my post then... the (we) was us old.folks on the bored.

Last edited by Tschussie on Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:47 pm 

Deadly Derek wrote:
Where are the ABBAs of today?

Daft punk are the modern equivalent I would have said

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:55 pm 

Kid A wrote:
Tschussie wrote:

What a load of bollocks.

You are talking Bollocks. I`m am at an age where I was fortunate enough live through and to hear the Rock`n`Roll break through,The Beatles change EVERYTHING Glam Rock come and go.Sex Pistols, Queen up to Oasis.. When I retired I stopped listening to the radio. (Used to listen to it in work) So around the time of Coldplay etc I lost interest in NEW music. I am quite happy living with my vast musical memories without listening to the "crap" I feel there is out today. Yes an occasional new song sounds good, but compared to what I have heard in my life, the majority is sh*te.
But there is NO WAY I don`t really like music that much. It is like telling an Opera lover that the music he likes is crap so he can`t really like music. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:01 pm 

None of the regular posters on here have the energy of a teenager to discover and invest themselves in new music.

Kids absorb themselves in new music, certainly much more than any grown-ups.

Complaining about music being better in the past is just complaining that you stopped engaging - you got old.

Last edited by Tschussie on Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:05 pm 

#BringBackBritpop

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:14 pm 

Judith Durham and the Seekers were the best Oz band ever.

Its been a slippery slope for the last 52 years TBH :(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:15 pm 

Are we, the old fogies, suggesting that music has stopped developing?

That sounds like something our grandparents would say to deny evolution.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:18 pm 

Tschussie wrote:
None of the regular posters on here have the energy of a teenager to discover and invest themselves in new music.

Complaining about music being better in the past is just complaining that you stopped engaging - you got old.

Growing old happens to most of us. I am not COMPLAINING. Just stating a preference. I also enjoy a lot of the OLD Blues music Yes I did stop engaging, mainly because I didn`t enjoy what I was hearing, nothing to do with age, if it was age, I would have given up listening long before I did. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:19 pm 

Don't you dare talk about being bored with current music if you haven't given Lorde's new album a good listen.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:22 pm 

GWO2 wrote:
Tschussie wrote:

Growing old happens to most of us. I am not COMPLAINING. Just stating a preference. I also enjoy a lot of the OLD Blues music Yes I did stop engaging, mainly because I didn`t enjoy what I was hearing, nothing to do with age, if it was age, I would have given up listening long before I did. :lol:

Norhing wrong with increasing your focus on what you enjoy.

However, I think it is healthy for the mind to always hear new music. Listening to the same songs for 20 years will corrupt the mind.

Last edited by Tschussie on Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:24 pm 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Don't you dare talk about being bored with current music if you haven't given Lorde's new album a good listen.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:26 pm 

Tschussie wrote:
GWO2 wrote:
Tschussie wrote:

Norhing wrong with increasing your focus on what you enjoy.

Crying out loud, when you get to my age you can`t increase your focus much. You`ll forget where the hell you are. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The sixties/ seventies/ eighties were my era, musically. There was so much live music everywhere; even I was in in a couple of bands at various points. And it was easy to see the "big" performers, so I saw The Stones, Dylan, The Who, Hendrix, Rafferty, Manfred Mann, Emerson Lake and Palmer, et al without breaking sweat, really. Joe Cocker was my regular friday night piss up gig.

Everything seemed so fresh because there was so much that hadn't been done before, and there were people pushing back the boundaries almost daily. I just think it must be so much harder now. Yes, it's much easier to record and transmit, and if you are good at soshul meeja you can publicise stuff like never before. But it's harder to be original and ground breaking, so even very talented artists must find it hard to make their mark. And, if I'm honest, I just don't see the excitement, creativity (or the hedonistic rock and rollers!) that were so evident way back when.

This is (not - edit) intended to sound sour or smartarse; just a reflection on how things have moved on.

Last edited by nuffsaid on Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bogbunny wrote:
Judith Durham and the Seekers were the best Oz band ever.

Its been a slippery slope for the last 52 years TBH :(

The funny thing is, I remember a few years ago someone from Oz or NZ posting on here that the music scene down under was dead. Since then there have been some fantastic bands come out of both countries. Off the top of my head there's the Delta Rigs, The Trouble With Templeton, The DMAs, Pond, Flyying Colours and Fazerdaze. I'm pretty sure there's plenty more.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:29 pm 

Tschussie wrote:
Are we, the old fogies, suggesting that music has stopped developing?

That sounds like something our grandparents would say to deny evolution.

Music is developing all the time. Just like when black sabbath came on the scene back in the day. That was development. There will be some plum in 20 years time getting nostalgic about coldplay, wondering why we cant have bands like that anymore.
I do agree that as you get older most of us lose the passion for really following music. Other things take hold. I would love to be as passionetly into music as i was 10 yrs ago. I dont have the time to follow it like i use to, thats why spotify is great. Just stick on discover weekly and add something you like to your playlist.