Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24093 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 573, 574, 575, 576, 577, 578, 579 ... 603  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:38 am 

Finishing my first week of candito...

I really really dislike high rep deadlifts and I haven’t done them years.

Only had 2 sets of 8 at 170 to do last night but it was horrible.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:42 am 

ElementFreak wrote:
8km race last night in the 36 degree heat. There was about 2000-2500 around a very thin track so ended up finishing in 40:35 when I was aiming for under 40 minutes.

Got another one in a couple of weeks on a bit of a flatter terrain and more room, going to turn the screws up for that one and aim for sub 36ish.

I one day thought I could get a sub 40 min 10km, not a fecking chance now.

Got a half marathon next week, barely done enough training to get around. Hopefully rowing fitness will cross over to running!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:45 am 

Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu last night. Damn that's hard work. My abs and shoulders are sore AF today, despite being worked out fairly regularly in the gym, and the tops of my toes are torn to shreds. But looking forwards to going back on Monday. :)

Wrestling is one of the hardest workouts I've done. Even more than the boxing classes (both are beginner classes at that).

I'd love to wear my polar watch to get a record of my heart-rate and a rough idea of calories burned - I bet both are through the roof. Obv. not an option though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:48 am 

newportblue wrote:

:lol:
Those numbers!

I found those two sets interesting after having done squats already. Definitely felt my posterior chain working harder.

You won't be doing any DLs this week, just whatever variation you fancy. The EMOM squats are tough. I enjoyed them, though.

I've two sets of squats and two sets of DLs later today, working up to 90-95% on both.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:27 pm 

Thinking of entering my first power lifting meet. I had a look at the Connecticut records for my age and weight class in “raw modern” and I think I can definitely be competitive.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:32 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Joost wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Been offered and accepted a job in Southampton starting in a few months.

Anyone know any good gyms there? There seem to be a bunch of 24/7 warehouse style ones which look most likely.

Welcome to the area Nol!

David Lloyd is very good (really good free weights, lots of platforms etc) but quite expensive and out of town. There’s a bodybuilding gym called Area 51 which is a real lifter’s gym. There’s a few Easy Gym-type things and the new Uni gym on Commercial Rd (near the station) looks good, expect you’d have to chase away lots of skinny Asian students doing curls in the squat rack though. There’s also a few CrossFit ‘boxes’ (spit), if that’s your thing. Plenty of choice, anyway.

Deadly. :thumbup:

You in town yourself?

I'll be fairly central and without a car, so looking for place close enough by.

Saw the various EasyGym type franchises. They'd work, but I'd have to figure a time to go when they're not busy. The Uni gym would be great as it's next to work, but I'm not sure what the equipment is like our how busy it gets. I guess a tour would answer that.
Saw that Area 51 place online. Looks nice, but quite small.

I'm genuinely considering locations to live with equal weighting given to proximity to work and gyms. :proud:

Yep, live near the centre of town (let me know if you need any tips on where to/not to get a place! You shouldn’t struggle too much if you’re working near Commercial Rd.

I go to the David Lloyd on the East side of the city, but you’d need a car to get there really or be a keen cyclist. The uni gym on Commercial Rd is brand new and looks like it has cages/racks as well as the usual cardio machines. It’ll probably be packed at lunchtime/5:30, but not too bad at other times. Used to work just down the road and a few of my colleagues seemed to get on well with it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:00 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
newportblue wrote:

Those numbers!

I found those two sets interesting after having done squats already. Definitely felt my posterior chain working harder.

You won't be doing any DLs this week, just whatever variation you fancy. The EMOM squats are tough. I enjoyed them, though.

I've two sets of squats and two sets of DLs later today, working up to 90-95% on both.

Looking at next week and it looks interesting. I’m a fair down on my strength at the minute so not expecting big things on the max rep stuff.

I’ve got max reps on 120kg bench tonight, I’m hoping for 6/7. I would my best at that weight is 10 or 11 tho

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:01 pm 

A cheeky 10mile run tonight

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:02 pm 

mr flaps wrote:
Thinking of entering my first power lifting meet. I had a look at the Connecticut records for my age and weight class in “raw modern” and I think I can definitely be competitive.

Do it and don’t worry about being competitive. At the competitions I’ve done there is a massive range of abilities.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:41 pm 

newportblue wrote:
mr flaps wrote:

Do it and don’t worry about being competitive. At the competitions I’ve done there is a massive range of abilities.

“ if you ain’t first, you’re last” 😂

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:42 pm 

Joost wrote:
Yep, live near the centre of town (let me know if you need any tips on where to/not to get a place! You shouldn’t struggle too much if you’re working near Commercial Rd.

I go to the David Lloyd on the East side of the city, but you’d need a car to get there really or be a keen cyclist. The uni gym on Commercial Rd is brand new and looks like it has cages/racks as well as the usual cardio machines. It’ll probably be packed at lunchtime/5:30, but not too bad at other times. Used to work just down the road and a few of my colleagues seemed to get on well with it.

Yes please! /threadjack

I'll be working in the Highfield campus. The old uni gym is pretty much across the road from my building, but I'm not sure how much meathead equipment they have.

From what I can gather, Shirley, Basset, Highfield and Portswood are all decent (although the latter can be a bit studenty).
Avoid Millbrook and St. Denis (and east of the river, too far away).

I'm thinking somewhere around Shirley or Inner Avenue/Polygon could work. Will probably try to cycle to work, so don't mind being a fair walk from work. Would open up more of the centre of town to me (as well as a decent choice of gyms), as I know I'll just get lazy and never do anything if I'm any distance away.
I can work around busy times. Probably just get in the habit of going in the mornings.

I'll be contacting the Uni sports centre and asking exactly what equipment they have. I'd lose my shit in place with one squat rack etc.
That Area 51 gym looks tidy, but only has one platform.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:46 pm 

newportblue wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
newportblue wrote:

Those numbers!

Looking at next week and it looks interesting. I’m a fair down on my strength at the minute so not expecting big things on the max rep stuff.

I’ve got max reps on 120kg bench tonight, I’m hoping for 6/7. I would my best at that weight is 10 or 11 tho

Did squats 130x3 and 137.5x2 plus DLs 160x3 and 167.5x2 there over lunch. Finished with light good mornings and SL RDLs with ab work mixed in.
I like the progression. Week 1 is mostly volume. Week 2 is volume but with more strength focus. The squat volume is done through high sets of low reps and short recovery. Week 3 is much more strength focused in terms of reps, but then week 4 continues that trend with volume assistance reintroduced. Week 5 is pure strength.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:07 pm 

Quote:
Did squats 130x3 and 137.5x2 plus DLs 160x3 and 167.5x2

Quote:

:uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

Insane.

:(

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:09 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:11 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:

danny_fitz wrote:
3 x 20 min erg this evening, rating 24, 26 and 28 respectfully with an 8 min rest in between.

:uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

Insane.

:((

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:50 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Yes please! /threadjack

I'll be working in the Highfield campus. The old uni gym is pretty much across the road from my building, but I'm not sure how much meathead equipment they have.

From what I can gather, Shirley, Basset, Highfield and Portswood are all decent (although the latter can be a bit studenty).

I'm thinking somewhere around Shirley or Inner Avenue/Polygon could work. Will probably try to cycle to work, so don't mind being a fair walk from work. Would open up more of the centre of town to me (as well as a decent choice of gyms), as I know I'll just get lazy and never do anything if I'm any distance away.
I can work around busy times. Probably just get in the habit of going in the mornings.

I'll be contacting the Uni sports centre and asking exactly what equipment they have. I'd lose my shit in place with one squat rack etc.

Your info on living areas is pretty much spot-on, the far west of Shirley is a bit downbeat, but sounds like you’re sticking to the area between Hill Lane to the West and around the Avenue to the East - that’ll be fine. Maybe avoid the area around Bedford Place (student bars) and the houses within a mile of the campus if you want to get any sleep.

Unless it’s changed from a couple of years ago, the old uni gym is painful - one cage, one smith machine, a couple of benches with a handful of dumbells and good luck getting near any of it!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:00 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Insane.

Nolanator wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

danny_fitz wrote:
3 x 20 min erg this evening, rating 24, 26 and 28 respectfully with an 8 min rest in between.

Insane.

Fight.. fight...fight

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:28 pm 

Joost wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Yes please! /threadjack

Your info on living areas is pretty much spot-on, the far west of Shirley is a bit downbeat, but sounds like you’re sticking to the area between Hill Lane to the West and around the Avenue to the East - that’ll be fine. Maybe avoid the area around Bedford Place (student bars) and the houses within a mile of the campus if you want to get any sleep.

Unless it’s changed from a couple of years ago, the old uni gym is painful - one cage, one smith machine, a couple of benches with a handful of dumbells and good luck getting near any of it!

What about the area west of the common, bounded by Winchester road and the A3057 (that's what Google maps calls it)?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:56 pm 

I can finally get back to training after having stitches removed. I've decided I think I might drop the Texas Method. Although I was kinda enjoying it I think the schedule just didn't work for me. I prefer to front load my training in the week in case I miss Fridays. Might go back to 531.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:10 am 

Started doing squats again in the last 2 weeks. Liking back and front squats but don’t plan going really heavy. I’ve not really done a lot of squatting over the years but I like the solid feel it gives to me base. Been doing deadlift as well. Will keep that going as well but again, don’t plan going overly heavy, maybe keep it around 1.5 bw.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:43 am 

danny_fitz wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:
8km race last night in the 36 degree heat. There was about 2000-2500 around a very thin track so ended up finishing in 40:35 when I was aiming for under 40 minutes.

Got another one in a couple of weeks on a bit of a flatter terrain and more room, going to turn the screws up for that one and aim for sub 36ish.

Got a half marathon next week, barely done enough training to get around. Hopefully rowing fitness will cross over to running!

You should be all good, I didn't do any running last year and just used the Pete Plan as my fitness base and was fit enough to run a 15km quite easily and you've been doing a hell of a lot more than I used to do.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:43 am 

Surprised myself last night with 120x9 on bench.

Thought I was only gonna get 6.

Max rep squats next week

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:54 am 

YOYO wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Insane.

Nolanator wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

danny_fitz wrote:

Insane.

Fight.. fight...fight

:lol: :lol:

It does amuse me how the other thinks they are insane, although I do basic weight training one day a week the numbers being posted by some one here are utterly mental! some People are lifting more then twice my body weight!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:59 am 

ElementFreak wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:

You should be all good, I didn't do any running last year and just used the Pete Plan as my fitness base and was fit enough to run a 15km quite easily and you've been doing a hell of a lot more than I used to do.

I barely run these days, stupidly signed up to a half marathon before realising I have bugger all time to train outside rowing so have only managed to get five training runs in thus far and the race is next week. Got up to 10 miles last night but my splits for the last few were appalling. Even more stupidly I have a head of the river race at Henley the day before the half marathon so I am going to die. Never posted a plus 2h half before, I think that is going to change.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:16 am 

newportblue wrote:

Max rep squats next week

Rep out up to a max of ten, surely?

I think you should be hitting 8+ on those bench rep-out sets, given that they're calculated off your 1RM. Think I hit 11 and 13 on the two sessions at 75/72.5 kg. Working off a training 1RM of 95.*
*I dropped my actual 1RMs by 5kg for calculating the numbers in the program. Would rather quality reps than struggle the whole time. Plus, I lose my bench technique a lot above about 80%.

danny_fitz wrote:
It does amuse me how the other thinks they are insane, although I do basic weight training one day a week the numbers being posted by some one here are utterly mental! some People are lifting more then twice my body weight!

TBH, I find these comparisons motivating in a weird way. No matter how strong or fit you get, there's always someone fitter or stronger. Everyone has their level, and the important thing is that they're getting exercise done.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:44 am 

Nolanator wrote:
*I dropped my actual 1RMs by 5kg for calculating the numbers in the program. Would rather quality reps than struggle the whole time. Plus, I lose my bench technique a lot above about 80%.

It's much better to do this. You max out too quickly also and end up shagged way before the end of the program.

I've made it week 5 of Bill Starr which is one week beyond your input max. I reckon I have 3 more weeks of increases before it goes tits up but bench feels ok. Deadlifts are fine but squats are not much good now with my ankle severely limited in movement. I'm going to try that candito thing afterwards and back into Bill Starr to get near my target.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:29 am 

Nolanator wrote:
newportblue wrote:

Max rep squats next week

Rep out up to a max of ten, surely?

I think you should be hitting 8+ on those bench rep-out sets, given that they're calculated off your 1RM. Think I hit 11 and 13 on the two sessions at 75/72.5 kg. Working off a training 1RM of 95.*

danny_fitz wrote:

TBH, I find these comparisons motivating in a weird way. No matter how strong or fit you get, there's always someone fitter or stronger. Everyone has their level, and the important thing is that they're getting exercise done.

Yes you’re right max rep squats capped at 10.

If I’m honest my maxes are all over the place with having 2 months away from pushing the lifting. I did a couple of heavy singles the other week and just based my maxes off them plus a bit more. I’m hoping I get back up to speed fairly quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:31 am 

Do any of you chaps use protein shakes / supplements. Its something I dabbled with when playing rugby and looking into incorporating them into my diet again.

Any advice?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:53 am 

danny_fitz wrote:
Do any of you chaps use protein shakes / supplements. Its something I dabbled with when playing rugby and looking into incorporating them into my diet again.

Any advice?

Yeah, I'd have whey protein shakes relatively regularly. Not to gain weight or bulk but just to make sure I get enough protein as I'm not great at eating in any sort of routine and it's much handier to have a shake when you are running out the door.

I can't say this is any better or worse than anything else on the market. They are so much more drinkable now than ever before though. Plus it's been readily available even in the back of beyonds so I've stuck with it since the start.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:17 pm 

Rumham wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

Any advice?

Yeah, I'd have whey protein shakes relatively regularly. Not to gain weight or bulk but just to make sure I get enough protein as I'm not great at eating in any sort of routine and it's much handier to have a shake when you are running out the door.

I can't say this is any better or worse than anything else on the market. They are so much more drinkable now than ever before though. Plus it's been readily available even in the back of beyonds so I've stuck with it since the start.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

Yeah the Maximuscle ones from about 15 years ago tasted like they had been flavoured with the sweat from a tramps balls.

Basically over the last 14 months I have lost about 12kg in weight, was not worried about this as I was focussing on my bodyfat % but I weighed myself this morning and I have probably been the lightest I have been in decades and basically do not want to lose any more weight. So looking at something to maintain my current bodyweight while continuing to reduce my body fat % (i.e. increase muscle mass).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:34 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:

Any advice?

Protein powder. I also take ZMA at night for recovery and it makes me sleep like a log.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:18 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:

Any advice?

If you’re in the uk I would look at myprotein, bulkpowders or proteinworks. Cheap and probably not the best quality but does what it says on the tin.

In terms of actual supplements the only two I would really recommend would be a protein powder (just plain whey unless you have trouble with dairy.) and creatine. Altho not sure how beneficial creatine would be for rowing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:39 pm 

I use myprotein, think they're great. They've a huge selection so you can get the cheapest stuff, or get a vegan protein etc if you want (my mate does this cuz he's lactose intolerant). You can get a load of accessories and clothing too, save you making multiple purchases from different suppliers.

I use whey and creatine every day and take caffeine tablets before each session (I don't drink tea/coffee). I've used ZMA before and had great sleep and mad dreams.
I also use their multivitamin, alpha men, but that's just out of convenience; could use any brand really.

If you're losing a lot of weight, don't be afraid to increase your total calorie intake outside of just protein.

I've tried other supps the odd time, like BCAAs and glutamine, but TBH I think eating and sleeping properly will cover most bases when it comes to recovery.
Briefly tried aspartic acid, which is supposed to increase testosterone levels a small amount, but it gave me the shits and I gave it away to a friend.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:18 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
Demilich wrote:
I have been using an ERG for the first time ever at the gym.

Got a couple of questions:

The rower is a Concept 2. I've been setting the adjustment to 10. Is that normal, or am I likely to get a better work-out if I set it to a lower level initially?

I haven't really been going for speed initially, as I've been trying to get my technique right and get mentally in the zone for doing it for a set amount of time. Currently doing 15 minutes at about 2:20, but I am finding the hardest thing (from about the 8 minute mark) is arse pain from the seat (seems the same as I get from riding a bike for too long). Is this likely something to do with technique, or just something that will improve as I get used to it?

A damper setting of 3–5 will give you the best workout. New to the sport rowers often set it at 10 because they think that a higher number must be more challenging (or will reward them with a better time). The challenge is to accelerate the flywheel at a lower damper setting, where power must be applied in an efficient, fast, manner. A damper setting of 10 is more like a slow heavy rowboat—still a workout, but more about strength than cardiovascular fitness. Keep in mind top rowers do not train competitively at a 10! Emulate them; aim for 3 to 5.

As for arse pain some soreness is normal when you are starting out, a bit like when you do a long bike ride for the first time in ages. It should pass after repeat sessions. Do be careful with what you wear though as some clothing can ‘rub’ so avoid shorts with heavy stitching (ie rugby shorts).

As for technique, YouTube is your friend, try ‘row perfect’ or even the concept 2 website. There are loads of national coaches and ex Olympian rowers on YouTube offering their $0.02.

At a different gym now and they have the same rowing machines. They don't look in any better nick, but I assume they are better maintained because they perform entirely differently.

At the previous gym I struggled to get near 2 minute split times on 4.5 damper, even just going as hard as possible for the first 30 seconds. These ones at the gym are a hundred times smoother, and I can easily drop below 2 minute splits for a quick burst. They also mean I am feeling it much more in my legs, rather than just in my arms/upper body. Much easier to improve technique on as well.

Mixing them up with the stair climber (the one with the revolving mini-staircase, not the paddles you push down on), which is an absolute cunt of a machine. Might not be that highly thought of, but I often trained for rugby doing shuttles up the grand-stand stairs, so it suits me. Also hard to cheat yourself by slacking off on without ending up in a pile on the floor.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:22 pm 

The stairmaster is an excellent location for prime totty. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:26 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
The stairmaster is an excellent location for prime totty. :thumbup:

Not in Peckham it ain't. :lol:

They also need to start informing girls not to wear light grey sweat/pants tights when working out vigorously - not at all flattering (unless you have one of those "girls who wet themselves" fetishes).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:33 pm 

Re. protein shakes and losing weight, imo unless you are very sore after a workout or getting hurt you are probably getting enough protein to recover adequately. If you are losing more weight than you want to, just add more calories (probably carbs) into your diet. Protein shakes are very low calorie anyway so won't do much to halt weight loss.

I've pretty much given up all supplements as I wanted to see ultimately if they are worth the price. I get enough protein from my regular diet (albeit I do eat a ton of calories) and I haven't really noticed a dip in performance.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:18 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Joost wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Yes please! /threadjack

What about the area west of the common, bounded by Winchester road and the A3057 (that's what Google maps calls it)?

The A3057 is Shirley High St. General rule is that the roads closer to Common are fine, the further North West you go into that triangle the grimmer it gets - it’s not dangerous (like some bits of St Mary’s or Lordshill) but it is a bit downbeat. I live in the bottom bit of that triangle and it’s fine and great for being close to town and getting plenty of bang for your buck, property-wise.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:11 am 

Stevus55 wrote:
Re. protein shakes and losing weight, imo unless you are very sore after a workout or getting hurt you are probably getting enough protein to recover adequately. If you are losing more weight than you want to, just add more calories (probably carbs) into your diet. Protein shakes are very low calorie anyway so won't do much to halt weight loss.

I've pretty much given up all supplements as I wanted to see ultimately if they are worth the price. I get enough protein from my regular diet (albeit I do eat a ton of calories) and I haven't really noticed a dip in performance.

Basically our weekend outings have ramped up quite a bit over the last few months as we shift our training focus to the regatta season (sub 2000m sprint races). Typically I have a two hour or so session on the Saturday and anything up to three and a half hours plus on the Sunday spread over two sessions plus all the midweek training (ergs and circuits). Generally I am wrecked on Sundays, especially my legs. Ideally looking to keep on losing the body fat (which is happening slowly) while increasing my muscle mass. I have upped my carb intake but still dropping weight. I am 43 so obviously not expecting to be getting down to sub 8% body fat or anything but I am enjoying beating lads 20 years younger then me on the ergs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:37 am 

danny_fitz wrote:
Stevus55 wrote:

Basically our weekend outings have ramped up quite a bit over the last few months as we shift our training focus to the regatta season (sub 2000m sprint races). Typically I have a two hour or so session on the Saturday and anything up to three and a half hours plus on the Sunday spread over two sessions plus all the midweek training (ergs and circuits). Generally I am wrecked on Sundays, especially my legs. Ideally looking to keep on losing the body fat (which is happening slowly) while increasing my muscle mass. I have upped my carb intake but still dropping weight. I am 43 so obviously not expecting to be getting down to sub 8% body fat or anything but I am enjoying beating lads 20 years younger then me on the ergs.

I think for the protein shakes it depends on your body type and the type of sport you do. I have never been predisposed to gaining a lot of muscle, unless I am doing 2 weights sessions a week and really prioritising protein in my diet the muscle just melts off. I also think for your weekly training volume versus the "short" distance you're competing over, you'll notice an improvement from any extra muscle you hang on to.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24093 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 573, 574, 575, 576, 577, 578, 579 ... 603  Next