Chat Forum
It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 5:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 574, 575, 576, 577, 578, 579, 580 ... 591  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30464
Location: Pigdogistan
Candito week 5 heavy squat day. Hit 137.5kg x4, which was the max to aim for. Last rep a bit of a grind, bit got it. Nice elbow wobble!

Puts my predicted 1RM at 150, which is nice as I tested it before this cycle and got 145 and my numbers for the program are off a training max of 140.
Finished with a few sets of light DLs, good mornings and SL RDLs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3742
I'm absolutely f**ked after todays training. Deadlift singles at RPE 7 & 8, then 5x3 @ 140kg. Then Bench singles at 7 & 8 RPE, 6x3 @ 100kg, then an AMRAP set at 100kg. Then some accessory stuff.

Just got home after being on my feet all day and I think I might actually be dying.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12263
13 days into Feb and I'm on track to meet my small goal of an average of 8km for every day in Feb. 8.77km per day so far, longest of 15.55km and shortest 4km where I just went hard.

Got a few races I am working towards, as well as the Melbourne Marathon in October. Looking to go sub 3:45 ideally if I can.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Posts: 6143
Location: Stockholm
Yesterday evening, dressed in my new pristine white belt and white gi, with the new fold-lines still in it, I accidentally rocked up to the "experienced sparring" class in BJJ. That was a learning experience.

I told them I f-cked up reading the timetable, but they welcomed me anyway so it wasn't a wasted trip. Ended up grappling with a brown-belt with cauliflower ears for 6 x 5 minute rounds. Lesson learned: don't grapple with a dude with cauliflower ears. He was obviously taking it easy on me, and giving me lots of tips and pointers whenever I did something wrong (which was constantly), but still it was damn exhausting and crushing, but a very useful and positive experience.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30464
Location: Pigdogistan
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Yesterday evening, dressed in my new pristine white belt and white gi, with the new fold-lines still in it, I accidentally rocked up to the "experienced sparring" class in BJJ. That was a learning experience.

I told them I f-cked up reading the timetable, but they welcomed me anyway so it wasn't a wasted trip. Ended up grappling with a brown-belt with cauliflower ears for 6 x 5 minute rounds. Lesson learned: don't grapple with a dude with cauliflower ears. He was obviously taking it easy on me, and giving me lots of tips and pointers whenever I did something wrong (which was constantly), but still it was damn exhausting and crushing, but a very useful and positive experience.


Best way to improve is to train with guys who are better than you. :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Posts: 6143
Location: Stockholm
Nolanator wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Yesterday evening, dressed in my new pristine white belt and white gi, with the new fold-lines still in it, I accidentally rocked up to the "experienced sparring" class in BJJ. That was a learning experience.

I told them I f-cked up reading the timetable, but they welcomed me anyway so it wasn't a wasted trip. Ended up grappling with a brown-belt with cauliflower ears for 6 x 5 minute rounds. Lesson learned: don't grapple with a dude with cauliflower ears. He was obviously taking it easy on me, and giving me lots of tips and pointers whenever I did something wrong (which was constantly), but still it was damn exhausting and crushing, but a very useful and positive experience.


Best way to improve is to train with guys who are better than you. :thumbup:


So "anyone" then? :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30464
Location: Pigdogistan
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Yesterday evening, dressed in my new pristine white belt and white gi, with the new fold-lines still in it, I accidentally rocked up to the "experienced sparring" class in BJJ. That was a learning experience.

I told them I f-cked up reading the timetable, but they welcomed me anyway so it wasn't a wasted trip. Ended up grappling with a brown-belt with cauliflower ears for 6 x 5 minute rounds. Lesson learned: don't grapple with a dude with cauliflower ears. He was obviously taking it easy on me, and giving me lots of tips and pointers whenever I did something wrong (which was constantly), but still it was damn exhausting and crushing, but a very useful and positive experience.


Best way to improve is to train with guys who are better than you. :thumbup:


So "anyone" then? :lol:

:lol:
Depends where you're starting from!

I've spent my life playing seconds rugby at whatever level I was at; school or adult. Training is usually as a large squad with the seniors and 2nds together.
The odd time when the 2nds trained separately or I trained with the 3rds, it was noticeable that training standards dropped a bit and I'd feel my skills, sharpness etc dropping too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Posts: 6143
Location: Stockholm
Nolanator wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Yesterday evening, dressed in my new pristine white belt and white gi, with the new fold-lines still in it, I accidentally rocked up to the "experienced sparring" class in BJJ. That was a learning experience.

I told them I f-cked up reading the timetable, but they welcomed me anyway so it wasn't a wasted trip. Ended up grappling with a brown-belt with cauliflower ears for 6 x 5 minute rounds. Lesson learned: don't grapple with a dude with cauliflower ears. He was obviously taking it easy on me, and giving me lots of tips and pointers whenever I did something wrong (which was constantly), but still it was damn exhausting and crushing, but a very useful and positive experience.


Best way to improve is to train with guys who are better than you. :thumbup:


So "anyone" then? :lol:

:lol:
Depends where you're starting from!

I've spent my life playing seconds rugby at whatever level I was at; school or adult. Training is usually as a large squad with the seniors and 2nds together.
The odd time when the 2nds trained separately or I trained with the 3rds, it was noticeable that training standards dropped a bit and I'd feel my skills, sharpness etc dropping too.


That is true actually. The first time I trained at prop (believe it or not), was against the 1st team (I was playing 3rds). Talk about a baptism of fire. I was scarred to pack down on game-day because it was so brutal at training, but packing down against a fat 3rd grader was light-and-day compared to training. lol. So it was again beneficial in the long run. :lol:

Sometimes just gotta throw yourself in the deep end.

As far as jui-jitsu goes, I've got a few weeks experience. So basically anyone that's been training longer than that will kill me. To put it in perspective, in BJJ, it typically takes about three years of dedicated training (drills and sparring multiple times a week, preferably 4) just to advance to your blue belt. Most never see it. A blue belt in BJJ is actually pretty advanced. I was sparring against a brown belt. :lol: I'm ranting now, but interested to read the other day that in BJJ, the youngest you can expect to get a red belt (the highest level), if you started as a child is by the time you're 67. :shock: They don't f-ck around handing out belts to any fat kid who turns up to class. When I did karate in my teens, there were little fat kids with brown belts who I'm sure I could have snotted and I'm sure never faced, as you say, a proper challenge.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1170
So glad I’ve got these two candito squat sessions out of the way.

Tonight’s session was

Squat
170kg for max reps capped at 10. I got 8 reps.
Followed by 8x3 at 165kg. With 60 seconds rest between sets x(

Snatch grip deads
1x8 120kg
1x8 130kg
1x8 140kg
x(

Power cleans
2x3 85kg
2x3 90kg

Leg extensions
3x12


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12263
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Yesterday evening, dressed in my new pristine white belt and white gi, with the new fold-lines still in it, I accidentally rocked up to the "experienced sparring" class in BJJ. That was a learning experience.

I told them I f-cked up reading the timetable, but they welcomed me anyway so it wasn't a wasted trip. Ended up grappling with a brown-belt with cauliflower ears for 6 x 5 minute rounds. Lesson learned: don't grapple with a dude with cauliflower ears. He was obviously taking it easy on me, and giving me lots of tips and pointers whenever I did something wrong (which was constantly), but still it was damn exhausting and crushing, but a very useful and positive experience.


Best way to improve is to train with guys who are better than you. :thumbup:


So "anyone" then? :lol:

:lol:
Depends where you're starting from!

I've spent my life playing seconds rugby at whatever level I was at; school or adult. Training is usually as a large squad with the seniors and 2nds together.
The odd time when the 2nds trained separately or I trained with the 3rds, it was noticeable that training standards dropped a bit and I'd feel my skills, sharpness etc dropping too.


That is true actually. The first time I trained at prop (believe it or not), was against the 1st team (I was playing 3rds). Talk about a baptism of fire. I was scarred to pack down on game-day because it was so brutal at training, but packing down against a fat 3rd grader was light-and-day compared to training. lol. So it was again beneficial in the long run. :lol:

Sometimes just gotta throw yourself in the deep end.

As far as jui-jitsu goes, I've got a few weeks experience. So basically anyone that's been training longer than that will kill me. To put it in perspective, in BJJ, it typically takes about three years of dedicated training (drills and sparring multiple times a week, preferably 4) just to advance to your blue belt. Most never see it. A blue belt in BJJ is actually pretty advanced. I was sparring against a brown belt. :lol: I'm ranting now, but interested to read the other day that in BJJ, the youngest you can expect to get a red belt (the highest level), if you started as a child is by the time you're 67. :shock: They don't f-ck around handing out belts to any fat kid who turns up to class. When I did karate in my teens, there were little fat kids with brown belts who I'm sure I could have snotted and I'm sure never faced, as you say, a proper challenge.

All participation awards innit?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19394
Newport, ffs man :lol: :lol:

Did some legs today after a lazy 2 weeks which involved a lads weekend away. Felt quite good. Had worried about my hamstring, felt it "pop" two weeks ago after a DL+RDL session putting on my fudging trousers. Then again a week later taking off my fudging trousers. Felt OK today though.

Trying to do 28x28. 28 mins of cycling for 28 days of Feb. I'm hoping you can accumulate it in a couple of sessions :uhoh:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30464
Location: Pigdogistan
:lol:
Just fuck off, NPB.


How'd you find the sets of 3 EMOM? Not a pattern I've used before. Was a nice way to get in "heavy volume" without doing stupid shit like 10x10 of piss light weights. Had to actually work each set, but it was over quickly enough each time.

I'll probably restart a new cycle next week without taking a week off. There's a good chance that I won't actually be able to finish out the 5 weeks. Going to see a surgeon next week to discuss finally getting my mangled wrist fixed. If I do, it'll mean something stupid like three months in a cast and over six months of rehab. :thumbup: :uhoh:
Only been kicking the can down the road for three years with this injury.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5590
Put up a 500lb low bar tonight. I’m well chuffed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 722
Location: M.E.
Anyone any advice in relation to shoulder surgery recovery? I have been told that I need it, hopefully just arthroscopic shoulder surgery. Bone spur, tear in my rotator cuff to be anchored back, bits and pieces where they should not be.

I have googled how long I will be out of work, Doc said a few weeks but it depends on what he finds and my pain threshold. I am a big girl with pain.

He's told me that I should think about trying to cut some weight (im not fat fat) in as I won't be dong much (weights) for 6 months after it.

Any advice in relation to ways to aid recovery welcome.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30464
Location: Pigdogistan
Go to physio regularly, do what they say no matter what. Your recovery is only as good as the effort you put in to your rehab.

Shouldn't be too much pain if you're careful about not moving or trying to use your arm for anything.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9964
Location: Mostly London........Mostly
Racing at Henley this weekend, 3.5km Head Race, quite a strong field entered, we are going to get dicked on.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9964
Location: Mostly London........Mostly
.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1170
Nolanator wrote:
:lol:
Just fuck off, NPB.


How'd you find the sets of 3 EMOM? Not a pattern I've used before. Was a nice way to get in "heavy volume" without doing stupid shit like 10x10 of piss light weights. Had to actually work each set, but it was over quickly enough each time.

I'll probably restart a new cycle next week without taking a week off. There's a good chance that I won't actually be able to finish out the 5 weeks. Going to see a surgeon next week to discuss finally getting my mangled wrist fixed. If I do, it'll mean something stupid like three months in a cast and over six months of rehab. :thumbup: :uhoh:
Only been kicking the can down the road for three years with this injury.


They were “enjoyable”. I didn’t stick to the rest last night but kept it short. The first session I did do the EMOM and it killed me.

Enjoying the programme so far.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 722
Location: M.E.
Nolanator wrote:
Go to physio regularly, do what they say no matter what. Your recovery is only as good as the effort you put in to your rehab.

Shouldn't be too much pain if you're careful about not moving or trying to use your arm for anything.


I was hoping for a magic pill. After three Achilles surgeries I hope I've learned my lesson with rehab.

Might fly home two weeks after the surgery, I'll float that one with the doc


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Posts: 6143
Location: Stockholm
Stjudes wrote:
Anyone any advice in relation to shoulder surgery recovery? I have been told that I need it, hopefully just arthroscopic shoulder surgery. Bone spur, tear in my rotator cuff to be anchored back, bits and pieces where they should not be.

I have googled how long I will be out of work, Doc said a few weeks but it depends on what he finds and my pain threshold. I am a big girl with pain.

He's told me that I should think about trying to cut some weight (im not fat fat) in as I won't be dong much (weights) for 6 months after it.

Any advice in relation to ways to aid recovery welcome.


Yes! I got your "magic pill". Shoulder hanging. You just get a chin-up bar (or whatever) and hang on it so that your shoulders pull up around your ears. And that's it. Just hang there. It's a stretching exercise, not a strength one.

There is some pretty good evidence behind this and people are getting excellent results (myself included!). I first saw it on Joe Rogan's podcast when Rogan was banging on about it. Apparently some shoulder-surgeon discovered this, and after putting his patients on a "shoulder hanging" regime, he cut down his rate of shoulder surgery by a large factor. So many problems appear to be helped by it. It's simple as hell, but sh!t that works tends to be that way, as opposed to convoluted, overyly-complex bro-science.

Definitely it's worth a try anyway. I'm sure you can get more information from Google (or whatever):

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Hanging+for+s ... fab&ia=web


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 722
Location: M.E.
Yeah, I've been doing that (hanging) since hearing it on JRE last summer, sadly it does not repair the tears or chips floating around in there.

Did terabands, loads of physio. The surgery has to happen just hoping that there were some pointerd on recovery.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Posts: 6143
Location: Stockholm
Ah fair enough buddy.

Mine was never so bad I contemplated surgery but it drove helped for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 722
Location: M.E.
In fairness it really reduced certain pain and I was hoping the surgeon would say the knife wasn't needed.

How's yours when you roll? I hit the bags a bit but pals roll allot and it scares me so much to think of how much pain I would be in an arm bar. I can't even throw a tennis ball for the mutt without agony.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Posts: 6143
Location: Stockholm
Stjudes wrote:
In fairness it really reduced certain pain and I was hoping the surgeon would say the knife wasn't needed.

How's yours when you roll? I hit the bags a bit but pals roll allot and it scares me so much to think of how much pain I would be in an arm bar. I can't even throw a tennis ball for the mutt without agony.


Fine, no problems whatsoever. Which is f'n remarkable since for years when I was playing rugby (I think I've made up my mind that last year was my last one) I literally couldn't sleep on that side, and I accidentally rolled onto it, I'd wake up instantly. Now it's like there's nothing wrong with it. Crazy. It's been a niggling injury since I was in my mid-twenties.

I do get tendonitus in my biceps that goes all the way up to my shoulders. But to be honest when I get put in an arm-bar it kind of feels nice. lol. Good stretch. (obviously they're not cranking it like fuckwits).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 14284
Stjudes wrote:
Anyone any advice in relation to shoulder surgery recovery? I have been told that I need it, hopefully just arthroscopic shoulder surgery. Bone spur, tear in my rotator cuff to be anchored back, bits and pieces where they should not be.

I have googled how long I will be out of work, Doc said a few weeks but it depends on what he finds and my pain threshold. I am a big girl with pain.

He's told me that I should think about trying to cut some weight (im not fat fat) in as I won't be dong much (weights) for 6 months after it.

Any advice in relation to ways to aid recovery welcome.


About 6 months ago I hurt my right shoulder doing heavy dumbbell military presses. I lost form and the weight kicked out a bit. I was over doing it as uscle fatigue had set in.
I stopped doing military presses for about 4-5 months starting again recently. The injury still hasn't healed properly. I can do all types of lifts but I get a clicking sensation in my shoulder even if I lift light objects like a kettle or a book for example! I also experience some pain.
After the injury I kept lifting, push and pull type lifts (except military pressing) but would experience clicking sensation and pain doing simple bicep curls. This is still the case but not as bad as when the injury happened.

Any thoughts on that anyone? I’m thinking an impingement caised a partial rotator cuff tear.


Last edited by YOYO on Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30464
Location: Pigdogistan
Eh, go see a trained professional!


Re prepping for shoulder surgery; is it your dominant arm that's being done, Stjudes ?
If so, practice doing things with your weaker hand. Brushing your teeth, wiping your arse, wanking etc are so difficult with your weak hand. I found that I had to loosely tie my shoelaces with my shoe on my lap, and then pull the shoes on my feet pre-tied. You can't reach out in front for a good while.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6115
YOYO wrote:
Stjudes wrote:
Anyone any advice in relation to shoulder surgery recovery? I have been told that I need it, hopefully just arthroscopic shoulder surgery. Bone spur, tear in my rotator cuff to be anchored back, bits and pieces where they should not be.

I have googled how long I will be out of work, Doc said a few weeks but it depends on what he finds and my pain threshold. I am a big girl with pain.

He's told me that I should think about trying to cut some weight (im not fat fat) in as I won't be dong much (weights) for 6 months after it.

Any advice in relation to ways to aid recovery welcome.


About 6 months ago I hurt my right shoulder doing heavy dumbbell military presses. I lost form and the weight kicked out a bit. I was over doing it as uscle fatigue had set in.
I stopped doing military presses for about 4-5 months starting again recently. The injury still hasn't healed properly. I can do all types of lifts but I get a clicking sensation in my shoulder even if I lift light objects like a kettle or a book for example! I also experience some pain.
After the injury I kept lifting, push and pull type lifts (except military pressing) but would experience clicking sensation and pain doing simple bicep curls. This is still the case but not as bad as when the injury happened.

Any thoughts on that anyone? I’m think impingement or partial rotator cuff tear.


I get the same thing since dislocating both shoulders playing rugby/league. One thing that improved it a bit was lying on my side on the floor and going through full range of motion in all directions with a really light weight (think I did it with a milk bottle of water). Probably should have kept up doing it, but I'm rubbish at committing to rehab type exercises.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 722
Location: M.E.
Nolanator wrote:
Eh, go see a trained professional!


Re prepping for shoulder surgery; is it your dominant arm that's being done, Stjudes ?
If so, practice doing things with your weaker hand. Brushing your teeth, wiping your arse, wanking etc are so difficult with your weak hand. I found that I had to loosely tie my shoelaces with my shoe on my lap, and then pull the shoes on my feet pre-tied. You can't reach out in front for a good while.



Ha class, good idea. I have some practice already, I have to play tennis and darts with my weaker arm due to my shoulder. Brushing my teeth and holding my phone up is bad after a day in the gym too so I guess I'll start practicing with that. The tugging I will take under advisement. However one of the most annoying things is when I have a great time with the other half, having her lifted off the ground or supporting my weight on top and my shoulder decides to threaten to come out, those are not screams of passion from me.

I will keep you all posted. Looking like just before the Ireland game in Twickers. The surgeon is away before then and I have a hearing until the 15 March. I have advised to get in as good shape as possible before then. So after this weekend I swear it will be salads all the way.

I was on and off crutches for three years at one stage with achilles injuries and ballooned from low 90's kg to 113kg. Single, loads of booze and takeaways. With age (30's) and my f*cked legs I struggle to keep it 95kg and under now and that was after a year of hell to get down from 113.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1170
Finished week 2 of candito.

Happy to leave the max rep sets behind ( I hope)

Quite enjoyed getting a upper body pump with the higher rep accessories.

Finished this week with

Bench
Max reps at 117.5kg. Got 11. Happy with that.

Bent over rows
1x10 92.5kg
1x8 107.5kg
1x8 112kg

Military press
1x10 52.5kg
1x8 60kg
1x6 67.5kg

Chins
1x10 bw+5kg
1x8 bw+10kg
1x6 bw+12.5kg

Hammer curls
3x11

Lat raises
3x12


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30464
Location: Pigdogistan
Final day of Candito today. Back in Dublin, so had to bluff my way into a local gym. Just asked nicely if I could use it. They were very decent, TBF. :thumbup:

Hit the proscribed 170kg x4 on DLs, then finished with some good mornings, box jumps and ab work.
Way more teenagers than I'm used to, as I've exclusively used uni gyms to date, given studies/work. Felt old!

Reps were ok. Bit of a cat stretch and a hitch to lock out the last rep, but happy with the strength. Puts my predicted 1RM at 185, when I tested my true 1RM before Christmas it was 180.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9964
Location: Mostly London........Mostly
A busy weekend.

Competed in the Henley Eights and Fours Head on Saturday. Ended upper mid table which was roughly as expected, smoked a few uni crews half our age which felt good. Blowing out my arse at the end.

Hampton Court Half marathon on Sunday, plodded around in 1:55.04, quite happy with that given my legs were shot to bits from Saturday.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3742
Was on for a good rep total during an AMRAP bench set earlier, paused to catch my breath and my spotter grabbed the bar and racked it :frown:

Got 14@85kgs, was probably on for 18 or so :(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30464
Location: Pigdogistan
Dickhead. In those situations you have to explicitly say "don't touch it until I call you in". Loads of lads jump in and take loads of weight off it saying "All you. All you bro".
Twats.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3742
I made the mistake of asking a friend who has no idea about lifting instead of asking a stranger who looked like they knew what they were doing


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 14284
Demilich wrote:
YOYO wrote:
Stjudes wrote:
Anyone any advice in relation to shoulder surgery recovery? I have been told that I need it, hopefully just arthroscopic shoulder surgery. Bone spur, tear in my rotator cuff to be anchored back, bits and pieces where they should not be.

I have googled how long I will be out of work, Doc said a few weeks but it depends on what he finds and my pain threshold. I am a big girl with pain.

He's told me that I should think about trying to cut some weight (im not fat fat) in as I won't be dong much (weights) for 6 months after it.

Any advice in relation to ways to aid recovery welcome.


About 6 months ago I hurt my right shoulder doing heavy dumbbell military presses. I lost form and the weight kicked out a bit. I was over doing it as uscle fatigue had set in.
I stopped doing military presses for about 4-5 months starting again recently. The injury still hasn't healed properly. I can do all types of lifts but I get a clicking sensation in my shoulder even if I lift light objects like a kettle or a book for example! I also experience some pain.
After the injury I kept lifting, push and pull type lifts (except military pressing) but would experience clicking sensation and pain doing simple bicep curls. This is still the case but not as bad as when the injury happened.

Any thoughts on that anyone? I’m think impingement or partial rotator cuff tear.


I get the same thing since dislocating both shoulders playing rugby/league. One thing that improved it a bit was lying on my side on the floor and going through full range of motion in all directions with a really light weight (think I did it with a milk bottle of water). Probably should have kept up doing it, but I'm rubbish at committing to rehab type exercises.


Your situation sounds a bit more punishing than mine. Two shoulder dislocations sounds like a bitch. I’ve never dislocated a shoulder but have damaged the rotator cuff from heavy falls. I pretty much rested gym wise last week and the time off seems to have helped the impingement sensation. It’s not as bad, more tending to normal. Did a chest session this evening and impingement weakness didn’t seem as bad.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19248
Location: STRAYA!
Stevus55 wrote:
I made the mistake of asking a friend who has no idea about lifting instead of asking a stranger who looked like they knew what they were doing


A woman at my gym is/was my spotter. She's a powerlifter and calls me a farken pussy if I start to wobble.

Nothing like a petite 20yo girl screaming in your face to give you motivation.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 14284
Nolanator wrote:
Final day of Candito today. Back in Dublin, so had to bluff my way into a local gym. Just asked nicely if I could use it. They were very decent, TBF. :thumbup:

Hit the proscribed 170kg x4 on DLs, then finished with some good mornings, box jumps and ab work.
Way more teenagers than I'm used to, as I've exclusively used uni gyms to date, given studies/work. Felt old!

Reps were ok. Bit of a cat stretch and a hitch to lock out the last rep, but happy with the strength. Puts my predicted 1RM at 185, when I tested my true 1RM before Christmas it was 180.


Did you use straps Nolanator for those lifts?
Will straps help increase your non straps deadlift? I suppose not grip strength but perhaps leg, glute and general posterior chain strength.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12263
danny_fitz wrote:
A busy weekend.

Competed in the Henley Eights and Fours Head on Saturday. Ended upper mid table which was roughly as expected, smoked a few uni crews half our age which felt good. Blowing out my arse at the end.

Hampton Court Half marathon on Sunday, plodded around in 1:55.04, quite happy with that given my legs were shot to bits from Saturday.

Nice time, especially for someone who hasn't done any running.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:23 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 2704
Getting back into more regular cycling again - got the power, just working on stamina.... :blush: :lol:

Weight is dropping off.

I need to alternate days though as the ankle still gets tight due to scar tissue x(

really working on Mobility via Foam Roller workouts after my Physio gave me a (polite) bollocking.

One my new job location is sorted, back into Yoga.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5590
Absolutely frazzled after putting up a heavy single squat and deadlift in the same week. Was weak as Piss in my max effort upper session today, missed a 340 close grip bench which should have gone up. All because of trying to squeeze a missed session into a week instead of just binning it.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 574, 575, 576, 577, 578, 579, 580 ... 591  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BillW, Bindi, Cartman, Ewinkum, Google Adsense [Bot], guy smiley, JB1981, johnstrac, LandOTurk, Margin_Walker, mojo, SaintK, towny, village and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group