Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 587, 588, 589, 590, 591, 592, 593 ... 612  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:46 am 

I'm considering getting some sort of fitness tracker/watch thingy. No interest in the really expensive ones, but wondering if anyone has experience of these sorts of devices?
Anything to be aware of, or is it as simple as check that a device has the functions I want and have at it? Some seem quite cheap.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:47 am 

newportblue wrote:
Good session last night

Deficit dead
125x3
150x3
162x2 2 sets

Bench
77x5
92x5
107x3
107x6
107x4
107x7
107x2
107x8
107x5

Deadlift
125x3
150x3
175x3
200x2
210x2 4 sets

Over head press
67.5x6 5 sets

Bent over row
107x8 4 sets

Due to test my maxes in the next few weeks so weights are increasing slightly and volume a bit down.

Good numbers.

Is that the actual order you did your routine in?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:27 am 

feckwanker wrote:
newportblue wrote:
Good session last night

Deficit dead
125x3
150x3
162x2 2 sets

Bench
77x5
92x5
107x3
107x6
107x4
107x7
107x2
107x8
107x5

Deadlift
125x3
150x3
175x3
200x2
210x2 4 sets

Over head press
67.5x6 5 sets

Bent over row
107x8 4 sets

Due to test my maxes in the next few weeks so weights are increasing slightly and volume a bit down.

Good numbers.

Is that the actual order you did your routine in?

Cheers.

That’s the order in should have been but I did BOR and OHP the other way round because of loading and unloading the bar.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:26 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
I'm considering getting some sort of fitness tracker/watch thingy. No interest in the really expensive ones, but wondering if anyone has experience of these sorts of devices?
Anything to be aware of, or is it as simple as check that a device has the functions I want and have at it? Some seem quite cheap.

What's your budget in mind? Apart from cheap.

The Garmin ones are all pretty top notch, and the FR35 is the base one I think.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:09 am 

Nolanator wrote:

I've ordered one of these: https://ouraring.com/
big feature being it tracks heart rate variability, and is waterproof. Read some good reviews on the first gen which was a big ugly ring, new one is a much better size. google discount codes if your interested as you should be able to get $100 off

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:41 am 

I did Hot Yoga yesterday. That shit is no joke.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:36 am 

Sorry lads

Quick point I want to make. Does anyone else find that extra cardio is the only sure fire way to drop the pounds with any sort of consistency?

Everyone tells me that I can lose weight without cardio if I get my nutrition right and train with weights 3-4 times a week I should be able to lose weight. But let's face it, if you are the type of guy who is susceptible to gaining fat, you probably have a slow metabolism and therefore aren't in the normal body range.

Summers here and I've added some interval sessions to my week and all of a sudden, I'm, losing fat and weight again. I know that everyone says its all about nutrition (and effectively you could lose weight without training at all) but for me the extra cardio is essential.

(I also find that doing the extra few bits allows me to indulge in a couple of glasses of wine on a Saturday night).

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:42 am 

ElementFreak wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Not really sure about a budget, was thinking of the order of £50. It's more driven by curiosity than serious activity tracking. If I'm enjoying it I may look at getting something more substantial in the future.
I'm presuming that anything with GPS jumps it up the price bands?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:54 am 

Nolanator wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Not really sure about a budget, was thinking of the order of £50. It's more driven by curiosity than serious activity tracking. If I'm enjoying it I may look at getting something more substantial in the future.

What sort of features are you after? Wonder if you can use your phone as a step tracker at least and you can download heart rate apps that use your finger over the camera ( pretty sure it’s not accurate but hopefully it’s consistent)

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:00 am 

Easy Now wrote:
Sorry lads

Quick point I want to make. Does anyone else find that extra cardio is the only sure fire way to drop the pounds with any sort of consistency?

Everyone tells me that I can lose weight without cardio if I get my nutrition right and train with weights 3-4 times a week I should be able to lose weight. But let's face it, if you are the type of guy who is susceptible to gaining fat, you probably have a slow metabolism and therefore aren't in the normal body range.

Summers here and I've added some interval sessions to my week and all of a sudden, I'm, losing fat and weight again. I know that everyone says its all about nutrition (and effectively you could lose weight without training at all) but for me the extra cardio is essential.

(I also find that doing the extra few bits allows me to indulge in a couple of glasses of wine on a Saturday night).

I guess it depends person, the calorie deficit is the most important thing ( not the only thing before I start a war :lol: ) whichever way you create it shouldn’t make much odds.

For me, Diet is easier and less time consuming. To create a 500 calorie deficit per day via exercise would take a lot of time and effort. Whereas creating it through food is just a case of dropping a couple of things out of the diet or reducing quantities.

Also means if you hit a plateau through diet you can add in exercise.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:03 am 

newportblue wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

What sort of features are you after? Wonder if you can use your phone as a step tracker at least and you can download heart rate apps that use your finger over the camera ( pretty sure it’s not accurate but hopefully it’s consistent)

I recently started using google fit as a step counter and route tracker. It's actually got a lot of info and it's interesting enough that I'm looking for more metrics. Half interested in seeing my HR throughout gym sessions and rest periods.

TBH, it's borne out of the fact that my dad has a smart watch of some type and uses Strava all the time when running or cycling.
I just find the analytics very interesting. I don't do nearly enough outdoor activities to justify proper toys, but I'm interested in something cheap enough.

I find that recording progress is the best way to push myself harder. Whether that's rep counts, weight, recovery periods, split times on the rower, times running a certain distance or (with a HR tracker) HR during a given exercise and the recovery afterwards.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:27 am 

ElementFreak wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

I have a fitbit but it will probably be my last one, I am currently on my third replacement watch as others all had faults. They are fine for running but any other sports they are a bit limited. Plus, for some reason their GPS does not work on water which is annoying when rowing.

Need to find a watch that works with rowing.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:28 am 

Easy Now wrote:
Sorry lads

It's about how much energy (i.e. calories) that you absorb compared to how much energy (i.e. calories) you output.

You can play with either side of that equation (modify how much you absorb/eat or how much you output/exercise) to the same end. Most people find it far easier to simply eat less in the first place than to have to work off that energy afterwards. To put it in perspective, your "couple of glasses (two?) of wine on Saturday night" is equivilant to about 270 calories, or for an average-sized man, about a 25 minute run at a medium pace. Much easier to just not drink the two glasses of wine in my book.

Really though, if you're serious about losing weight you shouldn't be drinking any alcohol. Not only is it calories you just don't need, it also has a bunch of other effects on your body that will make it harder to lose weight (it slows you down, disrupts your recovery and disrupts your sleep, alcohol is also an energy source that is processed by the body is a very weird way).

Also, the reason people are telling you to "do weights 3 or 4 times a week" is not so much to help you "lose weight", but rather to "retain lean muscle mass"; when you are on a calorie deficit (whether that's created through exercise or eating less, or a combination of both), your body will "eat itself" to provide energy, and for whatever reason (it doesn't make sense to me), you body will often choose to get that energy from both muscle mass and fat mass in roughly equal proportions. In order to tell your body that you want to burn the fat and not the muscle, you have to do weights, which is effectively telling your body, "hey I still need these muscles, don't use them!". This is still important even if you're not some meat-head bodybuilder and "just want to lose a bit of weight". It's obvious if you do the maths: if you're 100kg and 20% bodyfat and you lose 10kg, 50% of which is muscle and 50% of which is fat, you're end up being 90kg and 17% bodyfat (which is pretty soft). Not that great really, consiering you just lost 10kg! But if you lose 10kg and 95% of it is fat and only 5% is muscle, then you're still end up being 90kg, but at a much trimmer 13% bodyfat (which is pretty ripped).

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:43 am 

Nolanator wrote:
newportblue wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

I recently started using google fit as a step counter and route tracker. It's actually got a lot of info and it's interesting enough that I'm looking for more metrics. Half interested in seeing my HR throughout gym sessions and rest periods.

TBH, it's borne out of the fact that my dad has a smart watch of some type and uses Strava all the time when running or cycling.
I just find the analytics very interesting. I don't do nearly enough outdoor activities to justify proper toys, but I'm interested in something cheap enough.

I find that recording progress is the best way to push myself harder. Whether that's rep counts, weight, recovery periods, split times on the rower, times running a certain distance or (with a HR tracker) HR during a given exercise and the recovery afterwards.

I’m the same, it’s one of the reasons I love lifting so much is because of the data ( Altho obviously things like cycling have huge amounts of data to).

I don’t really have any recommendations to be honest, You can get the cheapest garmin for about 90 quid but doesn’t have heart rate.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:03 am 

From my very basic understanding of starvation response in humans, that is not how the human body works. Indeed I thought it was a human evolutionary advantage that compared to other animals we burn very little skeleton muscle during prolonged periods of calorific deficit. It is only after prolonged periods of fasting that the body, and depletion of fat stores will the body resort to significantly breaking down muscle as an energy need. Also in my experience, most people who claim to have lost loads of muscle when dieting, didn't have very much muscle to begin with - all gyms have permabulkers...

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:33 am 

boringperson12 wrote:
From my very basic understanding of starvation response in humans, that is not how the human body works. Indeed I thought it was a human evolutionary advantage that compared to other animals we burn very little skeleton muscle during prolonged periods of calorific deficit. It is only after prolonged periods of fasting that the body, and depletion of fat stores will the body resort to significantly breaking down muscle as an energy need. Also in my experience, most people who claim to have lost loads of muscle when dieting, didn't have very much muscle to begin with - all gyms have permabulkers...

I can guess at the bit of my post that you are referring to.

It doesn't make much sense from an evolutionary perspective: fat is the body's store of energy reserves to be called on in times of starvation and/or scarcity. It makes no sense that when that time comes, the body should use up useful muscle tissue when it could be using useless fat, which was stored for exactly that purpose.

It's one thing I've struggled to understand, but in my experience, and to my knowledge, it seems to be exactly what happens if you're not lifting weights or working out the muscles in some other way (and even if you are, albeit to a smaller extent).

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:36 am 

Nolanator wrote:
newportblue wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Garmin are still really the market leader for this kind of stuff.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:43 am 

Nolanator wrote:

I can't recommend the Garmin Fenix 5 enough. It's not "cheap" (although it is as far as most watches go). It's got a fantastic amount of statistical data that is supplies you with, from (by all acounts, pretty damn accurate) estimates at your V02 Max, to your sleeping patterns, stress levels (measured through heart-rate-variability, which is a scientifically sound method), calorie-burn estimates, running stride, all-day-heart-rate, GPS-tracked runs, etc. It even somehow manages to detect what type of weight lifting movement you are doing and how many reps! (i.e. it will detect if you're doing bench press or shoulder press or bicep burls or whatever - don't ask me how it works that magic). The battery life absolutely blows all the competition out of the water, even though the Garmin watch measures your heart-rate all-day (and night) and most of the competitors do not. If I go on several runs and leave it on all day and night it will still be >80% after three days. And it charges to full in about 20 minutes anyway.

I have found that it's been the single most motivational bit of kit I've ever bought. Since I got it, I've only been training more and more (and on "boring shit" like running that I hated before) ... and to top it off, it looks the shit too ...

Spoiler: show

I'm getting deja vu ... I think I've posted this before ... :lol: :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:53 am 

:thumbup:
Sound stuff chaps. That's pretty much my thinking, Ika, it'll motivate me to exercise in ways that I don't traditionally enjoy just doing by myself.

Regarding the weight lifting measurement, there's probably an accelerometer which tracks the movement patters and matches them to a database.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:00 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
boringperson12 wrote:

It doesn't make much sense from an evolutionary perspective: fat is the body's store of energy reserves to be called on in times of starvation and/or scarcity. It makes no sense that when that time comes, the body should use up useful muscle tissue when it could be using useless fat, which was stored for exactly that purpose.

It's one thing I've struggled to understand, but in my experience, and to my knowledge, it seems to be exactly what happens if you're not lifting weights or working out the muscles in some other way (and even if you are, albeit to a smaller extent).

A complete guess but if you’re on restricted calories I wonder if your body is trying to protect itself by getting rid of muscle so that overall you need less calories to survive. Less muscle = less calories needed.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:03 pm 

newportblue wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
boringperson12 wrote:

A complete guess but if you’re on restricted calories I wonder if your body is trying to protect itself by getting rid of muscle so that overall you need less calories to survive. Less muscle = less calories needed.

:idea: ... never thought of that!

You're a smart cookie. That is totally possible. A very plausible explanation.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:05 pm 

I’ve been thinking the same about one of these fit watches so glad to see so many posts. That one Big Mog posted does look nice.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:07 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Sound stuff chaps. That's pretty much my thinking, Ika, it'll motivate me to exercise in ways that I don't traditionally enjoy just doing by myself.

Regarding the weight lifting measurement, there's probably an accelerometer which tracks the movement patters and matches them to a database.

One of the most positive effects it's had on me is in monitoring and actively ensuring good recovery. I've never really thought about it before, but since I get all the data in-my-face every day, I've been going to much greater efforts to get good quality sleep, avoid alcohol and caffiene, etc., and been feeling generally much better for it too. It's crazy how big a difference just a one afternoon beer makes on your HRV and recovery, let alone a bunch of them.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:12 pm 

About to head offshore with work for 10 days (diet and sleep pattern will go to shit) so decided to go for a new deadlift PB. Managed to pull 230kg beltless at 91.9kg body weight for a 2.5kg personal best. 240kg should hopefully be attainable sometime in July.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:47 pm 

feckwanker wrote:
About to head offshore with work for 10 days (diet and sleep pattern will go to shit) so decided to go for a new deadlift PB. Managed to pull 230kg beltless at 91.9kg body weight for a 2.5kg personal best. 240kg should hopefully be attainable sometime in July.

Great dead lifting. :shock:

I still have you on bench press PB for similar enough weight. ;)

Edit: feck me you’ve exceeded what the yanks like to refer to as a 500lbs dl. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:29 pm 

feckwanker wrote:

Nice work :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:59 pm 

feckwanker wrote:

Good job :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:53 pm 

Today is meant to be an Uppers Dominant Fullbody Session but my back is a bit stiff so I took it very easy on the lowers stuff.

Flat Bench
60 x 10
90 x 6
100 x 5
110 x 4
115 x 2
60 x 12

Machine Pulldown
+40 x 10
+50 x 8
+55 x 6
+57.5 x 5

Seated Dbell Press
30 x 10
30 x 7
30 x 3 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Barbell Row
70 x 8
80 x 6
85 x 6
60 x 10

Squat Jumps from box/Band Facepulls
BW x 3 Green band x 15
BW x 3 Green band x 15
BW x 3 Green band x 15

Box Squats
40 x 8
60 x 6
70 x 6

Fairly happy with the benching, both reps on 115 flew up so there is plenty in the tank but my triceps were bucked after the second set of shoulder presses. Not done Bent Rows in a long time and only second time doing Box Squats but the weight was very easy on both exercises. Currently have the ice pack on my lower back, it has been icky for a while...

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:57 pm 

Lower body volume this morning.

Squats: 100 x8, 5 sets
RDLs: 100 x8, 3 sets
GMs: 40 x12, 3 sets
Seated calf raises: 45 x15, sets
SL curl: 20 x15, 3 sets
SL extension: 20 x15, 3 sets

Fairly waddled out of the place. Have a feeling that I might hit a wall by this afternoon!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:32 pm 

2k test this evening, 7:10, not great

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:23 am 

danny_fitz wrote:

Getting close to sub-7 minutes :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:57 am 

Joost wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

Getting close to sub-7 minutes :thumbup:

So near yet so far.

10 seconds it still an age! I actually paced myself wrong last night, reckon I could have maintained a lower target split and squeezed out a 7:05-6. Its such fine margins, I aimed for a 1:45 split last week and completely blew up at 1200m, was absolutely f*cked. Last night I was aiming around 1:47, maybe a 1:46.5 next time.

One of the young lads who joined our squad a few months back scored 6:36 for 2k.

The cünt

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:55 am 

Full Body with a Lowers Emphasis this morning. Don't know the exact weight of Hexbar, it's either 17 or 18 kgs. Very warm and am going to be sat in a car for most of the rest of the day, so took it relatively easy.

Hexbar Deadlift
+40x8
+80x8
+120x5
+150x3
+160x3
+180x3
+190x3

Hexbar Squat Jumps
bar x 5
+10 x 5
+15 x 5

Reverse Lunge
BW x 8
BW x 8
BW x 8

Land mine Press
Bar x 10
+15 x 8
+20 x 8

Landmines
Bar x 10 x 3

Various shoulder health stuff.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:14 pm 

Made a mess of my run this morning. Got to the start and realised that I'd forgotten my barcode. Legged it home and back down, adding an extra 3km to my running, but missed the start by about 5 minutes. Picked up the crowd around the corner from the start about 500m in. When I joined it was the tail end and just people who were walking.

Steamed up the field but still only got 30minutes. Got lots of extra running in, which will certainly help in the long term.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:29 pm 

How’re you getting on in So’ton Nol, did you find somewhere to train in the end?

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:53 pm 

Protip: If you forget your barcode but want to know your time, just memorise your token number and look it up later when results get posted. It won't show up on your record, but at least you'll know what time you got.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:45 pm 

Joost wrote:
How’re you getting on in So’ton Nol, did you find somewhere to train in the end?

Yeah, just joined the Uni gym. It's around he corner from work and reasonably well equipped.

Ended up living on Winchester road, just near the top left corner of the Common. Bit more value for money, close to shops and handy for work etc.

Unreal weather the last few weeks, had a nice introduction to the place. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:47 pm 

The Mute wrote:
Protip: If you forget your barcode but want to know your time, just memorise your token number and look it up later when results get posted. It won't show up on your record, but at least you'll know what time you got.

Thought about just running it and taking an approximate time at the end, but it wanted my run logged on my account! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:24 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
I did Hot Yoga yesterday. That shit is no joke.

My Yoga instructor insists it's absolutly no better for you than normal temperature yoga.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:03 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
The Mute wrote:

Thought about just running it and taking an approximate time at the end, but it wanted my run logged on my account! :lol:

You are hooked :lol:

If running at home I don't need to worry as I can access the results system and add myself in :smug:

I might be setting up a new parkrun nearby as Co-event director soon which would be an interesting exercise

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 587, 588, 589, 590, 591, 592, 593 ... 612  Next