Chat Forum
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 3:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23619 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 572, 573, 574, 575, 576, 577, 578 ... 591  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5054
It's just something I've been mulling over the last few days. I've been doing this new program and the bench component was too heavy so I had to drop the weight, then it got me thinking if I had a training partner I likely would have given it more of a go. So my question to myself and I guess my general thoughts are whether it is possible to be pushing it to the limit without someone else there. I guess it might just be a slower process to work up from reduced weight.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1178
danny_fitz wrote:
Demilich wrote:
I have been using an ERG for the first time ever at the gym.

Got a couple of questions:

The rower is a Concept 2. I've been setting the adjustment to 10. Is that normal, or am I likely to get a better work-out if I set it to a lower level initially?

I haven't really been going for speed initially, as I've been trying to get my technique right and get mentally in the zone for doing it for a set amount of time. Currently doing 15 minutes at about 2:20, but I am finding the hardest thing (from about the 8 minute mark) is arse pain from the seat (seems the same as I get from riding a bike for too long). Is this likely something to do with technique, or just something that will improve as I get used to it?


A damper setting of 3–5 will give you the best workout. New to the sport rowers often set it at 10 because they think that a higher number must be more challenging (or will reward them with a better time). The challenge is to accelerate the flywheel at a lower damper setting, where power must be applied in an efficient, fast, manner. A damper setting of 10 is more like a slow heavy rowboat—still a workout, but more about strength than cardiovascular fitness. Keep in mind top rowers do not train competitively at a 10! Emulate them; aim for 3 to 5.

As for arse pain some soreness is normal when you are starting out, a bit like when you do a long bike ride for the first time in ages. It should pass after repeat sessions. Do be careful with what you wear though as some clothing can ‘rub’ so avoid shorts with heavy stitching (ie rugby shorts).

As for technique, YouTube is your friend, try ‘row perfect’ or even the concept 2 website. There are loads of national coaches and ex Olympian rowers on YouTube offering their $0.02.


The optimal damper setting is discussed regularly on this thread but one thing I havent seen considered is body size. I am 1.73m and use a setting of 7 for a 2K. With my relatively short arms I cannot be pulling as long a stroke as say a 1.93m rower. Does length of stroke have any bearing in this debate? Do smaller rowers tend to use higher damper settings?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9991
Location: Mostly London........Mostly
Lisbon Nick wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Demilich wrote:
I have been using an ERG for the first time ever at the gym.

Got a couple of questions:

The rower is a Concept 2. I've been setting the adjustment to 10. Is that normal, or am I likely to get a better work-out if I set it to a lower level initially?

I haven't really been going for speed initially, as I've been trying to get my technique right and get mentally in the zone for doing it for a set amount of time. Currently doing 15 minutes at about 2:20, but I am finding the hardest thing (from about the 8 minute mark) is arse pain from the seat (seems the same as I get from riding a bike for too long). Is this likely something to do with technique, or just something that will improve as I get used to it?


A damper setting of 3–5 will give you the best workout. New to the sport rowers often set it at 10 because they think that a higher number must be more challenging (or will reward them with a better time). The challenge is to accelerate the flywheel at a lower damper setting, where power must be applied in an efficient, fast, manner. A damper setting of 10 is more like a slow heavy rowboat—still a workout, but more about strength than cardiovascular fitness. Keep in mind top rowers do not train competitively at a 10! Emulate them; aim for 3 to 5.

As for arse pain some soreness is normal when you are starting out, a bit like when you do a long bike ride for the first time in ages. It should pass after repeat sessions. Do be careful with what you wear though as some clothing can ‘rub’ so avoid shorts with heavy stitching (ie rugby shorts).

As for technique, YouTube is your friend, try ‘row perfect’ or even the concept 2 website. There are loads of national coaches and ex Olympian rowers on YouTube offering their $0.02.


The optimal damper setting is discussed regularly on this thread but one thing I havent seen considered is body size. I am 1.73m and use a setting of 7 for a 2K. With my relatively short arms I cannot be pulling as long a stroke as say a 1.93m rower. Does length of stroke have any bearing in this debate? Do smaller rowers tend to use higher damper settings?


Generally your height or weight should have no bearing on the damper setting.

Next time you are on a Concept 2 erg, press the 'menu' button, then 'other options', then 'display drag factor'. Then take several firm strokes on the erg, a number should appear on the display, you want something around 115 - 125. If it is too low, move the damper handle up a fraction and pull a few more hard strokes, the number should rise. Obviously if the number is too high, drop the handle. What you will find is the handle will always end up somewhere between 3 - 5 (usually about 4.5).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1178
danny_fitz wrote:
Lisbon Nick wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Demilich wrote:
I have been using an ERG for the first time ever at the gym.

Got a couple of questions:

The rower is a Concept 2. I've been setting the adjustment to 10. Is that normal, or am I likely to get a better work-out if I set it to a lower level initially?

I haven't really been going for speed initially, as I've been trying to get my technique right and get mentally in the zone for doing it for a set amount of time. Currently doing 15 minutes at about 2:20, but I am finding the hardest thing (from about the 8 minute mark) is arse pain from the seat (seems the same as I get from riding a bike for too long). Is this likely something to do with technique, or just something that will improve as I get used to it?


A damper setting of 3–5 will give you the best workout. New to the sport rowers often set it at 10 because they think that a higher number must be more challenging (or will reward them with a better time). The challenge is to accelerate the flywheel at a lower damper setting, where power must be applied in an efficient, fast, manner. A damper setting of 10 is more like a slow heavy rowboat—still a workout, but more about strength than cardiovascular fitness. Keep in mind top rowers do not train competitively at a 10! Emulate them; aim for 3 to 5.

As for arse pain some soreness is normal when you are starting out, a bit like when you do a long bike ride for the first time in ages. It should pass after repeat sessions. Do be careful with what you wear though as some clothing can ‘rub’ so avoid shorts with heavy stitching (ie rugby shorts).

As for technique, YouTube is your friend, try ‘row perfect’ or even the concept 2 website. There are loads of national coaches and ex Olympian rowers on YouTube offering their $0.02.


The optimal damper setting is discussed regularly on this thread but one thing I havent seen considered is body size. I am 1.73m and use a setting of 7 for a 2K. With my relatively short arms I cannot be pulling as long a stroke as say a 1.93m rower. Does length of stroke have any bearing in this debate? Do smaller rowers tend to use higher damper settings?


Generally your height or weight should have no bearing on the damper setting.

Next time you are on a Concept 2 erg, press the 'menu' button, then 'other options', then 'display drag factor'. Then take several firm strokes on the erg, a number should appear on the display, you want something around 115 - 125. If it is too low, move the damper handle up a fraction and pull a few more hard strokes, the number should rise. Obviously if the number is too high, drop the handle. What you will find is the handle will always end up somewhere between 3 - 5 (usually about 4.5).


Thanks. Will try this evening.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:07 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30603
Location: Pigdogistan
Man In Black wrote:
It's just something I've been mulling over the last few days. I've been doing this new program and the bench component was too heavy so I had to drop the weight, then it got me thinking if I had a training partner I likely would have given it more of a go. So my question to myself and I guess my general thoughts are whether it is possible to be pushing it to the limit without someone else there. I guess it might just be a slower process to work up from reduced weight.


Having a partner (or some randomer) to help definitely makes a difference.

If you've no-one to train with, find a way that you can bail safely. For squats you can dump the bar off your back onto the floor, if the floor is strong and you don't mind making noise. For benching, you'll need safety pins set just below where the bar reaches at the bottom of the rep.

If you have the confidence to safely fail a rep, you'll be less worried about attempting close to your max.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1172
Nolanator wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
It's just something I've been mulling over the last few days. I've been doing this new program and the bench component was too heavy so I had to drop the weight, then it got me thinking if I had a training partner I likely would have given it more of a go. So my question to myself and I guess my general thoughts are whether it is possible to be pushing it to the limit without someone else there. I guess it might just be a slower process to work up from reduced weight.


Having a partner (or some randomer) to help definitely makes a difference.

If you've no-one to train with, find a way that you can bail safely. For squats you can dump the bar off your back onto the floor, if the floor is strong and you don't mind making noise. For benching, you'll need safety pins set just below where the bar reaches at the bottom of the rep.

If you have the confidence to safely fail a rep, you'll be less worried about attempting close to your max.


Obviously as Nol says it’s important to work out a way to bail but the majority of your work you shouldn’t be close to failing. Most of your working sets should be in the 70% to 85% of your 1 rep max range or to look at it another way you should always have 1 to 2 reps left in the tank.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3749
You can always do the roll of shame if you get pinned under a heavy bench


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:51 pm
Posts: 625
Had to roll a bar off once, my nuts weren't happy :lol:

Two weeks off from gym due to man flu. Back at it again today. Uppers so did flat bench, standing straight arm cable pushdowns, machine pulldowns, bottoms up kettlebelll presses (for shoulder stability and grip) and one arm dbell rows. Should be doing lowers tomorrow, then uppers again Friday.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:40 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30603
Location: Pigdogistan
Yeah, you shouldn't be going close to failure for the majority of your sets. It's different if you're testing a 1RM or repping until failure; always have a spotter for those if possible.


boringperson12 wrote:
Had to roll a bar off once, my nuts weren't happy :lol:


Best way to roll of shame is to roll it to your pelvis/hip crease and then sit up, dumping the bar forward onto the bench. Need to brace your abs hard, though.
When you get it to your hip crease it's at a natural fulcrum when you sit up, rolling it further doesn't make it easier to sit up and just crushes your nuts and thighs.


I've had the odd bit of practice down the years!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5591
Last nights bench session

Floor press, worked up to a single of 325lbs
Bent over row 5x10 at 225lb
Bench press 5x5 at 255lb
Pull downs, face pulls, dumbbell tricep extension.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1178
Lisbon Nick wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Lisbon Nick wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Demilich wrote:
I have been using an ERG for the first time ever at the gym.

Got a couple of questions:

The rower is a Concept 2. I've been setting the adjustment to 10. Is that normal, or am I likely to get a better work-out if I set it to a lower level initially?

I haven't really been going for speed initially, as I've been trying to get my technique right and get mentally in the zone for doing it for a set amount of time. Currently doing 15 minutes at about 2:20, but I am finding the hardest thing (from about the 8 minute mark) is arse pain from the seat (seems the same as I get from riding a bike for too long). Is this likely something to do with technique, or just something that will improve as I get used to it?


A damper setting of 3–5 will give you the best workout. New to the sport rowers often set it at 10 because they think that a higher number must be more challenging (or will reward them with a better time). The challenge is to accelerate the flywheel at a lower damper setting, where power must be applied in an efficient, fast, manner. A damper setting of 10 is more like a slow heavy rowboat—still a workout, but more about strength than cardiovascular fitness. Keep in mind top rowers do not train competitively at a 10! Emulate them; aim for 3 to 5.

As for arse pain some soreness is normal when you are starting out, a bit like when you do a long bike ride for the first time in ages. It should pass after repeat sessions. Do be careful with what you wear though as some clothing can ‘rub’ so avoid shorts with heavy stitching (ie rugby shorts).

As for technique, YouTube is your friend, try ‘row perfect’ or even the concept 2 website. There are loads of national coaches and ex Olympian rowers on YouTube offering their $0.02.


The optimal damper setting is discussed regularly on this thread but one thing I havent seen considered is body size. I am 1.73m and use a setting of 7 for a 2K. With my relatively short arms I cannot be pulling as long a stroke as say a 1.93m rower. Does length of stroke have any bearing in this debate? Do smaller rowers tend to use higher damper settings?


Generally your height or weight should have no bearing on the damper setting.

Next time you are on a Concept 2 erg, press the 'menu' button, then 'other options', then 'display drag factor'. Then take several firm strokes on the erg, a number should appear on the display, you want something around 115 - 125. If it is too low, move the damper handle up a fraction and pull a few more hard strokes, the number should rise. Obviously if the number is too high, drop the handle. What you will find is the handle will always end up somewhere between 3 - 5 (usually about 4.5).


Thanks. Will try this evening.


Can you give me the lottery numbers danny as you were bang on about the readings. A setting of 7 gave 145, lowering it to 5 gave 123 and 4 gave 115.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9991
Location: Mostly London........Mostly
Lisbon Nick wrote:

Thanks. Will try this evening.


Can you give me the lottery numbers danny as you were bang on about the readings. A setting of 7 gave 145, lowering it to 5 gave 123 and 4 gave 115.[/quote]

:thumbup:

Are you using an erg down a local gym??? If so it sounds like it is new or in good nick. Usually they are not maintained or cleaned and on some ergs it feels like someone has emptied a bucket of porridge into the drum as ten years of pubes and dust play havoc.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1178
danny_fitz wrote:
Lisbon Nick wrote:

Thanks. Will try this evening.


Can you give me the lottery numbers danny as you were bang on about the readings. A setting of 7 gave 145, lowering it to 5 gave 123 and 4 gave 115.


:thumbup:

Are you using an erg down a local gym??? If so it sounds like it is new or in good nick. Usually they are not maintained or cleaned and on some ergs it feels like someone has emptied a bucket of porridge into the drum as ten years of pubes and dust play havoc.[/quote]

Its down the gym which has four Concept 2s which while not brand new appear well maintained.

I dont do a huge amount of rowing mainly 2Ks or incorporated into a crossfit type exercise. Last night I did a 27 calorie row, 27 thrusters followed by 21,15 and 9 of each. In this case I didnt row flat out to save energy for the thrusters which totally f***ed me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9991
Location: Mostly London........Mostly
Lisbon Nick wrote:
Lisbon Nick wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Lisbon Nick wrote:

Thanks. Will try this evening.


Can you give me the lottery numbers danny as you were bang on about the readings. A setting of 7 gave 145, lowering it to 5 gave 123 and 4 gave 115.


:thumbup:

Are you using an erg down a local gym??? If so it sounds like it is new or in good nick. Usually they are not maintained or cleaned and on some ergs it feels like someone has emptied a bucket of porridge into the drum as ten years of pubes and dust play havoc.


Its down the gym which has four Concept 2s which while not brand new appear well maintained.

I dont do a huge amount of rowing mainly 2Ks or incorporated into a crossfit type exercise. Last night I did a 27 calorie row, 27 thrusters followed by 21,15 and 9 of each. In this case I didnt row flat out to save energy for the thrusters which totally f***ed me.


2ks can be quite brutal and only last 7 mins or so, just for variety try these:

10 x 4 min, 3min rest between sets, rating alternating between 20 and 26

3 x 10 min, (4'+3'+2'+1') R26+R28+R30+R32


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:35 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30603
Location: Pigdogistan
Peak lower body volume session today. :o

Squat: 115kg x10
Squat: 110kg x3, 10 sets EMOM
RDLs: 70kg x8, 3 sets
Assorted assistance work: Step ups, clams, side plank/glute work


Actually enjoyed the 10 sets. Was at about 78% of my 1RM, so the weight was fine for 3 reps, but the accumulated fatigue was interesting. Was absolutely cruising for sets 4-7, hit the grove form wise, and then the last few sets were definitely more of a struggle as the tiredness kicked in.
Was sweating like a tap and breathing pretty hard for the whole ten minutes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12271
Lisbon Nick wrote:
[
Its down the gym which has four Concept 2s which while not brand new appear well maintained.

I dont do a huge amount of rowing mainly 2Ks or incorporated into a crossfit type exercise. Last night I did a 27 calorie row, 27 thrusters followed by 21,15 and 9 of each. In this case I didnt row flat out to save energy for the thrusters which totally f***ed me.


Personally I like the Pete Plan for beginners, teaches you about pacing and how to go harder on efforts etc and it definitely improves your fitness levels.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1172
Back on the gain train after 2 months losing weight and doing more cardio.

Going to do Candito 6 week strength program before jumping back into Sheiko.

Did some testing tonight

Hit 210kg squat and 145kg bench. Hopefully these will come back up quickly.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:07 pm
Posts: 6587
I got hacked down from behind playing soccer last week and badly sprained my ankle. So squats are out for the next few weeks.

There is always something that puts a spanner in the works. Whether it is this stupid injury, short notice work trips or general life shit. I don't think I've gotten an uninterrupted 8 weeks done in about 4 years.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Posts: 6179
Location: Stockholm
Man In Black wrote:
It's just something I've been mulling over the last few days. I've been doing this new program and the bench component was too heavy so I had to drop the weight, then it got me thinking if I had a training partner I likely would have given it more of a go. So my question to myself and I guess my general thoughts are whether it is possible to be pushing it to the limit without someone else there. I guess it might just be a slower process to work up from reduced weight.


I actually had this discussion just a day or two ago. My personel opinion is that yes, you can do it easily by using safer exercise variations and employing drop-sets before failure.

I have to think that any benefit you get from pushing to 100% failure over pushing to 90% failure, then dropping the weight and doing it again is either negligible or non-existent.There's even a chance it maybe better to do it the second way.

I also believe that the truth is that nobody really knows without the benefit of a real scientific reserach, although I'm sure you'll get a lot of convinced bro-science opinions one way or the other.

Forget the bs. Just lift heavy things consistently until your muscles are sore. It's not rocket science.


Nolanator wrote:
If you've no-one to train with, find a way that you can bail safely. For squats you can dump the bar off your back onto the floor, if the floor is strong and you don't mind making noise. For benching, you'll need safety pins set just below where the bar reaches at the bottom of the rep.

... or just use the cage for what it's designed for. I don't ever intentionally do squats to failure, but if I fail at some lift I just rest the bar on the cage and duck out.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5591
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
It's just something I've been mulling over the last few days. I've been doing this new program and the bench component was too heavy so I had to drop the weight, then it got me thinking if I had a training partner I likely would have given it more of a go. So my question to myself and I guess my general thoughts are whether it is possible to be pushing it to the limit without someone else there. I guess it might just be a slower process to work up from reduced weight.


I actually had this discussion just a day or two ago. My personel opinion is that yes, you can do it easily by using safer exercise variations and employing drop-sets before failure.

I have to think that any benefit you get from pushing to 100% failure over pushing to 90% failure, then dropping the weight and doing it again is either negligible or non-existent.There's even a chance it maybe better to do it the second way.

I also believe that the truth is that nobody really knows without the benefit of a real scientific reserach, although I'm sure you'll get a lot of convinced bro-science opinions one way or the other.

Forget the bs. Just lift heavy things consistently until your muscles are sore. It's not rocket science.


Nolanator wrote:
If you've no-one to train with, find a way that you can bail safely. For squats you can dump the bar off your back onto the floor, if the floor is strong and you don't mind making noise. For benching, you'll need safety pins set just below where the bar reaches at the bottom of the rep.

... or just use the cage for what it's designed for. I don't ever intentionally do squats to failure, but if I fail at some lift I just rest the bar on the cage and duck out.


You should have enough feel as you progress through your sets to know how the next set is going to go.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Posts: 6179
Location: Stockholm
Should I just? :P


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:38 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30603
Location: Pigdogistan
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
If you've no-one to train with, find a way that you can bail safely. For squats you can dump the bar off your back onto the floor, if the floor is strong and you don't mind making noise. For benching, you'll need safety pins set just below where the bar reaches at the bottom of the rep.

... or just use the cage for what it's designed for. I don't ever intentionally do squats to failure, but if I fail at some lift I just rest the bar on the cage and duck out.


Well, clearly. This was int he context of him training by himself in a garage or something. Might not have a full cage.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5591
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Should I just? :P



Yarp😂


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3749
Got my first real taste in a long time of what it can be like to be a girl in the gym yesterday. Had some old guy come up and lecture me for 5 mins about how I shouldn't be using clips on the bench in case I fail and need to tilt the bar and slide the weights off.

It's been a long running joke between my and my gf that people (men) regularly comment on her form and offer up tips/advice, while leaving me well alone.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:12 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30603
Location: Pigdogistan
I'm not sure I'd agree with that. I've accidentally gone to do squats and forgot the clips and lost the weights as I was shuffling back into position.
Unexpectedly dumping the weights off one side is not fun.

If you're unsure about if you'll make a lift, get a spot.

If I'm repping to failure I make sure to say that to my spotter, that I'll be fine and will flat out fail after a while. If I'm testing a 1RM I'll tell them to stay away until I call them in.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3749
I definitely disagreed with him but wasn't about to get into a discussion about it. If I'm worried about failing I'll get a spot, but the way my training is set up I'm very rarely in a position where failing is likely.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5054
Stevus55 wrote:
Got my first real taste in a long time of what it can be like to be a girl in the gym yesterday. Had some old guy come up and lecture me for 5 mins about how I shouldn't be using clips on the bench in case I fail and need to tilt the bar and slide the weights off.

It's been a long running joke between my and my gf that people (men) regularly comment on her form and offer up tips/advice, while leaving me well alone.


Had some old Turk tell me that squatting or deads in bare feet can snap the arches in your foot so you need something with a good arch. :?

But yeah, I've seen loads of dudes walk over to women to assist them in the thigh machine or lat pulldown. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:58 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30603
Location: Pigdogistan
There was an auld lad who used to go to my old gym. He'd go in his martial arts pyjamas, lift some weights that were far too heavy with about 10% ROM and really fast uncontrolled reps and grunt the whole time.
You could tell he thought he was a bit bad ass. Apparently he tried giving a guy I knew some impolite advice once, this guy being perfectly competent in the gym already. Told him to fudge off.

I don't like to laugh at people in the gym too much, as everyone has to start at a certain level, and not everyone is as obsessive/critical of their own form, but some people are just bell ends. This guys struck me as someone you'd hate to get stuck talking to in real life.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:07 pm
Posts: 6587
Funny that, I was just about to post about the shocking form of some people doing weights in my gym. The trainers just sit there on their phones while these lads are bending their backs in half, lifting far too much weight and mangling basic exercises so badly it is difficult to watch.

I've genuinely felt an urge to correct some of them for their own health but keep to myself. There must be 2 or 3 athletic enough trainers milling about but I've never seen them step in. I'm not sure what their purpose is to be honest as they barely help the chicks too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:51 pm
Posts: 625
I wouldn't put clips on a barbell for benching, in fact the only time I ever use clips is when deadlifting (doing reps) or doing something explosive like high pulls. Never had a weight fall off or really move a significant amount either.

As for giving advices in the gym, unless someone asked me (which would be as rare as hen's teeth) I just keep my opinions to myself. About 5 or 6 years ago, I did have someone half my age and weight try and tell me I was going too low on the squat. I kept nodding and saying ok, then kept doing the exact same thing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 14309
Nolanator wrote:
There was an auld lad who used to go to my old gym. He'd go in his martial arts pyjamas, lift some weights that were far too heavy with about 10% ROM and really fast uncontrolled reps and grunt the whole time.
You could tell he thought he was a bit bad ass. Apparently he tried giving a guy I knew some impolite advice once, this guy being perfectly competent in the gym already. Told him to fudge off.

I don't like to laugh at people in the gym too much, as everyone has to start at a certain level, and not everyone is as obsessive/critical of their own form, but some people are just bell ends. This guys struck me as someone you'd hate to get stuck talking to in real life.


This weird old timer once tried taking weights off the barbell I was about to bench. I was in place about to unrack the bar with about 120kg on it and he starts trying to take off a plate on one side. I looked at him incredulously at what he was at. He just walked away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5591
Decent overhead press session last night.

Press worked up to 215 for 3 then 170 5x5

Kroc rows 3x20 with 100lber

Incline pres 3x10 80lbers

Pull down/push up super sets 4x10

Face pulls.

Pretty happy with that, my pressing has been wank for a while.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:28 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30603
Location: Pigdogistan
Been offered and accepted a job in Southampton starting in a few months.

Anyone know any good gyms there? There seem to be a bunch of 24/7 warehouse style ones which look most likely.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5591
Nolanator wrote:
Been offered and accepted a job in Southampton starting in a few months.

Anyone know any good gyms there? There seem to be a bunch of 24/7 warehouse style ones which look most likely.


I go here when I visit my brother. It’s pretty good.

http://www.samsonsgym.co.uk/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:07 pm
Posts: 6587
mr flaps wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Been offered and accepted a job in Southampton starting in a few months.

Anyone know any good gyms there? There seem to be a bunch of 24/7 warehouse style ones which look most likely.


I go here when I visit my brother. It’s pretty good.

http://www.samsonsgym.co.uk/


Crikey.

Quote:
- Plenty of choice: Large areas with two sets of dumbell stations going up to a massive 75kgs


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9991
Location: Mostly London........Mostly
So, a 3 x 20 min low rating erg on Monday was a sod as I had been in Italy the week before eating my body weight in pizza and pasta.

3 x 10 min sprint ergs this evening, might bring a bucket.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5250
Nolanator wrote:
Been offered and accepted a job in Southampton starting in a few months.

Anyone know any good gyms there? There seem to be a bunch of 24/7 warehouse style ones which look most likely.


Welcome to the area Nol!

David Lloyd is very good (really good free weights, lots of platforms etc) but quite expensive and out of town. There’s a bodybuilding gym called Area 51 which is a real lifter’s gym. There’s a few Easy Gym-type things and the new Uni gym on Commercial Rd (near the station) looks good, expect you’d have to chase away lots of skinny Asian students doing curls in the squat rack though. There’s also a few CrossFit ‘boxes’ (spit), if that’s your thing. Plenty of choice, anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9991
Location: Mostly London........Mostly
danny_fitz wrote:
So, a 3 x 20 min low rating erg on Monday was a sod as I had been in Italy the week before eating my body weight in pizza and pasta.

3 x 10 min sprint ergs this evening, might bring a bucket.



1:50.9/1:52.8/1:52.9


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12271
8km race last night in the 36 degree heat. There was about 2000-2500 around a very thin track so ended up finishing in 40:35 when I was aiming for under 40 minutes.

Got another one in a couple of weeks on a bit of a flatter terrain and more room, going to turn the screws up for that one and aim for sub 36ish.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:47 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30603
Location: Pigdogistan
Joost wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Been offered and accepted a job in Southampton starting in a few months.

Anyone know any good gyms there? There seem to be a bunch of 24/7 warehouse style ones which look most likely.


Welcome to the area Nol!

David Lloyd is very good (really good free weights, lots of platforms etc) but quite expensive and out of town. There’s a bodybuilding gym called Area 51 which is a real lifter’s gym. There’s a few Easy Gym-type things and the new Uni gym on Commercial Rd (near the station) looks good, expect you’d have to chase away lots of skinny Asian students doing curls in the squat rack though. There’s also a few CrossFit ‘boxes’ (spit), if that’s your thing. Plenty of choice, anyway.


Deadly. :thumbup:

You in town yourself?

I'll be fairly central and without a car, so looking for place close enough by.

Saw the various EasyGym type franchises. They'd work, but I'd have to figure a time to go when they're not busy. The Uni gym would be great as it's next to work, but I'm not sure what the equipment is like our how busy it gets. I guess a tour would answer that.
Saw that Area 51 place online. Looks nice, but quite small.

I'm genuinely considering locations to live with equal weighting given to proximity to work and gyms. :proud:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23619 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 572, 573, 574, 575, 576, 577, 578 ... 591  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BillW, Bing [Bot], dam0, Farva, _fatprop, Google Adsense [Bot], guy smiley, koroke hangareka, Mr Mike, Nolanator, The Native, Wilderbeast and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group