Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23071 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 571, 572, 573, 574, 575, 576, 577  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:52 pm 

Present and correct!

I only row for "cardio" purposes, though. Never going to do it as a proper sport, so any improvements will just be down to me trying to get better, rather than coaching or proper training.

Thought I saw another example of spasticated rowing technique earlier, but then realised that the guy was doing legs only reps as a warm up, rather than not knowing what he was doing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:03 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Present and correct!

I only row for "cardio" purposes, though. Never going to do it as a proper sport, so any improvements will just be down to me trying to get better, rather than coaching or proper training.

Thought I saw another example of spasticated rowing technique earlier, but then realised that the guy was doing legs only reps as a warm up, rather than not knowing what he was doing.

It is worth downloading the concept 2 app on your phone, you can then Bluetooth it to the erg machine and track all your scores and see your improvement over time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:02 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
3 x 20 min erg this evening, rating 24, 26 and 28 respectfully with an 8 min rest in between.

Actually struggled this evening. Being on the piss watching the rugby yesterday probably did not help.

1:59.7 / 2:03.1 / 2:03.2 (Avg 2:02.0)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:04 am 

By the 9th of January I was on track to run over 2500km this year. In the last 6 days with a little one being here I haven't been able to get out and run and I've had to pull out of a rugby tournament that I was always going to be 60/40 on going at best. Hopefully I will be able to get out and get some normality back in our routine.

Having said that, I wouldn't not have him around. I always thought it was a cliche that your life view changes when you have a kid, but at the moment I can't see anything else mattering apart from the wife and him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:59 am 

ElementFreak wrote:
By the 9th of January I was on track to run over 2500km this year. In the last 6 days with a little one being here I haven't been able to get out and run and I've had to pull out of a rugby tournament that I was always going to be 60/40 on going at best. Hopefully I will be able to get out and get some normality back in our routine.

Having said that, I wouldn't not have him around. I always thought it was a cliche that your life view changes when you have a kid, but at the moment I can't see anything else mattering apart from the wife and him.

Slacker.

Starting a family to get out of training, call yourself an athlete?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:19 am 

Nolanator wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Squatted in my brand new lifting shoes over lunch. I like them. :thumbup:

Squat: 112.5 x6, 4sets
DL: 140 x6, 2 sets
Glute hip thrusts: 60 x10, 3 sets
Core work

Never done squats and DLs on the same day. Definitely not something you could do with lots of volume, but the DLs felt pretty good with the legs already worked out from the squats.

Texas Method has you squatting and DL on the same day. It feels a bit weird first up.

I've been stuck in variations of squat one day and DL another for years, it's a nice change of pace. Allows you to get two lower body days in per week, rather than one per exercise. This week and next I'm in 5 days, 2 lower and 3 upper, then on to 4 a week for the 3 following weeks as I taper towards more strength based sessions.
Gonna be feeling it!

Have you tried Bill Starr 5x5?

You squat 3 times a week plus deadlift on one day. Bench 3 times a week too plus cleans. It's pretty basic but hits to the major points.

I tried to set up a routine for 4 times a week but was always missing a day here and there. This is 3 times a week and easy enough to schedule around. And it really works.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:30 am 

Rumham wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Core work

Never done squats and DLs on the same day. Definitely not something you could do with lots of volume, but the DLs felt pretty good with the legs already worked out from the squats.

Texas Method has you squatting and DL on the same day. It feels a bit weird first up.

I've been stuck in variations of squat one day and DL another for years, it's a nice change of pace. Allows you to get two lower body days in per week, rather than one per exercise. This week and next I'm in 5 days, 2 lower and 3 upper, then on to 4 a week for the 3 following weeks as I taper towards more strength based sessions.
Gonna be feeling it!

You squat 3 times a week plus deadlift on one day. Bench 3 times a week too plus cleans. It's pretty basic but hits to the major points.

I tried to set up a routine for 4 times a week but was always missing a day here and there. This is 3 times a week and easy enough to schedule around. And it really works.

I shall look this up, currently doing basic circuit training outside of my ergs and on the water training but could do with more focus on strength training. As alluded to above some of the scores posted on here have left me feeling somewhat weak!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:07 pm 

3 x 10 TR min erg this evening.

Each set is 4 mins rate 26, 3 mins rate 28, 2 mins at rate 30 and 1 min at rate 32

8 min rest between sets.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:17 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
3 x 10 TR min erg this evening.

Each set is 4 mins rate 26, 3 mins rate 28, 2 mins at rate 30 and 1 min at rate 32

8 min rest between sets.

1:53.5 / 1:56.1 / 1:57.0 (Avg 1:55.5) 7788m

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:21 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
Rumham wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Core work

Gonna be feeling it!

I shall look this up, currently doing basic circuit training outside of my ergs and on the water training but could do with more focus on strength training. As alluded to above some of the scores posted on here have left me feeling somewhat weak!

These types of program are great but you need to leave your ego at the door and start at sensible weights.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:02 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:

Slacker.

Starting a family to get out of training, call yourself an athlete?

I've never called myself an athlete, apart from ironically when eating something massive and terrible for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:38 pm 

Banged out a 470lb low bar the other night. Very happy with that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:16 pm 

mr flaps wrote:

213kg! That's mental.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:21 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
mr flaps wrote:

213kg! That's mental.

What is a low bar ?
That’s about twice my body weight so just trying to picture if I could do that or not

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:29 pm 

backrow wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
mr flaps wrote:

213kg! That's mental.

What is a low bar ?
That’s about twice my body weight so just trying to picture if I could do that or not

Squat. Low bar refers to the position of the bar on your back/shoulders, as that dictates which particular muscles are emphasised in the movement.

That's a huge number. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:32 pm 

mr flaps wrote:

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:35 pm 

Always fun when someone at the gym/on here is casually lifting more than your lifetime goal!

My lifetime goal is a 2.5 bodyweight deadlift (roughly 225kg, currently pb is 185kg would be happy with 207kg this year) - my deadlift night seems to coincide with another of the regular lifters at the gym, as he's usually on the platform next to me. On Monday he was doing 240kg for reps, then cracked out 280kg :(

Flaps' squat is similarly annoying!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:36 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
backrow wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
mr flaps wrote:

213kg! That's mental.

What is a low bar ?

Squat. Low bar refers to the position of the bar on your back/shoulders, as that dictates which particular muscles are emphasised in the movement.

That's a huge number. :lol:

I see

At 1.93m and 102kg I’m totally the wrong shape for anything gym related, my levers are just too long.
At school I was the only one who could push the leg press with all the weights on, and do this several times - but had to push the seat back a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:39 pm 

I have been using an ERG for the first time ever at the gym.

Got a couple of questions:

The rower is a Concept 2. I've been setting the adjustment to 10. Is that normal, or am I likely to get a better work-out if I set it to a lower level initially?

I haven't really been going for speed initially, as I've been trying to get my technique right and get mentally in the zone for doing it for a set amount of time. Currently doing 15 minutes at about 2:20, but I am finding the hardest thing (from about the 8 minute mark) is arse pain from the seat (seems the same as I get from riding a bike for too long). Is this likely something to do with technique, or just something that will improve as I get used to it?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:42 pm 

backrow wrote:
At 1.93m and 102kg I’m totally the wrong shape for anything gym related, my levers are just too long.
At school I was the only one who could push the leg press with all the weights on, and do this several times - but had to push the seat back a bit.

Ah, you might need a different posture for an exercise compared to someone like Happyhooker, but most movements should be fine. The big difference is that you've to move the weight through a longer path, so the time under tension becomes an issue and it's more tiring.
Think some tall people have good deadlifts, whatever way the hinge with long levers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:45 pm 

Demilich wrote:

The rower is a Concept 2. I've been setting the adjustment to 10. Is that normal, or am I likely to get a better work-out if I set it to a lower level initially?

I haven't really been going for speed initially, as I've been trying to get my technique right and get mentally in the zone for doing it for a set amount of time. Currently doing 15 minutes at about 2:20, but I am finding the hardest thing (from about the 8 minute mark) is arse pain from the seat (seems the same as I get from riding a bike for too long). Is this likely something to do with technique, or just something that will improve as I get used to it?

IIRC, the resistance value can be a can of worms. I've always been under the impression to just stick it at 5 and crack on.
I've found that my arse gets quite sore from muscular tiredness, my glutes be burning. Danny's probably the one to ask, but I think that the discomfort shouldn't be a huge issue as your technique improves. Or maybe you just learn to blank it. I have seen rowing machines with heavily padded seats, though, so some do find it problematic.

How many strokes per minutes are you hitting with that 2:20/500m?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:47 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
backrow wrote:

Ah, you might need a different posture for an exercise compared to someone like Happyhooker, but most movements should be fine. The big difference is that you've to move the weight through a longer path, so the time under tension becomes an issue and it's more tiring.
Think some tall people have good deadlifts, whatever way the hinge with long levers.

Yeah I think I've seen Eddie Hall, Hapthor and Brian Shaw do some pretty decent DLs from time to time. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:52 pm 

Joost wrote:
Always fun when someone at the gym/on here is casually lifting more than your lifetime goal!

My lifetime goal is a 2.5 bodyweight deadlift (roughly 225kg, currently pb is 185kg would be happy with 207kg this year) - my deadlift night seems to coincide with another of the regular lifters at the gym, as he's usually on the platform next to me. On Monday he was doing 240kg for reps, then cracked out 280kg :(

Keep in mind that I weigh 125kg.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:54 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
backrow wrote:

I remember I helped a mate move once , he was smaller than me but a gym rat . He had a large telly, and was back in the CRT days so was a big heavy bastard. I found he really struggled with carrying his end of the telly, for me it was heavy but not impossible - he kept having to put it down which surprised me. I could have managed the weight on my own, but was too large to hold safely on your own.

Put us in some gym tests and he would have smashed me, but carrying something in the real world, he was rubbish.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:58 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Demilich wrote:

IIRC, the resistance value can be a can of worms. I've always been under the impression to just stick it at 5 and crack on.
I've found that my arse gets quite sore from muscular tiredness, my glutes be burning. Danny's probably the one to ask, but I think that the discomfort shouldn't be a huge issue as your technique improves. Or maybe you just learn to blank it. I have seen rowing machines with heavily padded seats, though, so some do find it problematic.

How many strokes per minutes are you hitting with that 2:20/500m?

Cheers, will give 5 a go and see if it makes much difference.

Not sure - haven't even noticed that particular reading on the display - will check it out next time and see.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:54 pm 

Hit the display button until you get the most values on the screen. SPM should be in the top right.
As your form improves you'll notice that you can hit better split times without particularly fast stroke rates.
Also, if you're struggling to maintain a split pace, don't row faster, row more powerfully.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:24 pm 

Demilich wrote:

A damper setting of 3–5 will give you the best workout. New to the sport rowers often set it at 10 because they think that a higher number must be more challenging (or will reward them with a better time). The challenge is to accelerate the flywheel at a lower damper setting, where power must be applied in an efficient, fast, manner. A damper setting of 10 is more like a slow heavy rowboat—still a workout, but more about strength than cardiovascular fitness. Keep in mind top rowers do not train competitively at a 10! Emulate them; aim for 3 to 5.

As for arse pain some soreness is normal when you are starting out, a bit like when you do a long bike ride for the first time in ages. It should pass after repeat sessions. Do be careful with what you wear though as some clothing can ‘rub’ so avoid shorts with heavy stitching (ie rugby shorts).

As for technique, YouTube is your friend, try ‘row perfect’ or even the concept 2 website. There are loads of national coaches and ex Olympian rowers on YouTube offering their $0.02.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:39 pm 

Thought i’d Combine my conditioning and some extra squat volume today.

So did 15 EMOM of 2 reps of squat at 152kg.

Was “fun”.

Interesting to do a different style of work out.

The weight was fairly light, did all sets beltless.

Will increase the weight next time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:36 pm 

Nasty little session last night. My hamstrings are in tatters.

Front squat 275 x 8 x 3 sets
175 x 10 x 3 sets

Sumo deadlift worked up to 3 singles at 405 ( I’m not enjoying these, but I’m told they lead to the promised land)

Belt squat RDL’s with a black band and 90lb of plates and a 88lb Kettle Bell. 5 sets of 10.

3 x 45 second marches in the belt squat.

Kettle bell windmills will a 62lber 3x10

Last edited by mr flaps on Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:37 pm 

What's your max for comparison, NPB?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:38 pm 

One week of my current program done. Lots of volume this week and similar again next week.

Today involved benching 75kg to failure. Got 11, which is grand, I suppose. Wasn't far off a 12th, but wanted to keep to quality reps and form.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:48 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
What's your max for comparison, NPB?

Best I’ve done is 242 but I’m not near that at the moment.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:42 pm 

[quote="boringperson12"]Yup. Be realistic with your 5 rep max as the first 3-4 weeks are about getting used to the volume. Week 4 is your max so everything up to that point is ok. I found it tough the first time out but now I've done it a few times it's not an issue.

I was properly farked trying this and doing some running at training in the beginning. I can only imagine the recovery rugby players must do in season as this is a piece of piss compared to their programs.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:47 pm 

Joost wrote:

These lads are elite level lifters. There's no point in looking at those numbers and thinking anything other than, fudge me, that's heavy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:12 am 

Just back from a weeklong trip to Cape Town, fudge me it is a dream to cycle there. Amazing scenery, plenty of tough mountain climbs and good weather. Must have been my most active week ever for a vacation, 100kms+ done, lots of hiking, golfing and swimming.

Probably should post this on the cycling thread but this seems good for random thoughts, I took a lend of a mates bike (Cannondale CAAD8) there and it made me think that perhaps mine is a little small, or isn't as good as fit. Found my climbing to be much more sustained there, with a lot less burn in the legs, and I was going into cat 3 climbs after only 4km and feeling good. It could have also just been the warm weather too.

Back to the gym this week, hoping to keep up the decent progress I was making before last week.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:28 am 

3 x 20min erg last night, rating 22, 3 min rest between pieces.

1:59.1 / 2:01.0 /2:03.5 (avg split 2:01.2) 14851m

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:38 am 

Anyone on here completed an Ironman 70.3 before and kept up their weight training?

I'm thinking of doing one in August and have been looking up training programmes but they are all swim/cycle/run (which is obviously the most relevant) but I wouldn't mind keeping two full body weight sessions in my training because Id end up looking like a stick if i didn't.

Is that too much load trying to combine all four?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:27 pm 

Yesterday's squat session involved a set of 10 at 112.5kg, followed by 5 sets of 3 reps each minute on the minute at 115kg.

The 115kg is well within my comfort zone for three reps, but there was only about 30 seconds between re-racking bar bar and having to lift it out again. You fairly accumulate the fatigue like that!
Finished out with RDLs, crab walks, single arm KB carries and some glute/core work.
Feeling it now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:31 pm 

Do you think its possible to get significantly stronger without a training partner or someone to spot?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:34 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
Do you think its possible to get significantly stronger without a training partner or someone to spot?

Yes, definitely. Do it with pins in a rack, so you can always bail if needs be.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23071 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 571, 572, 573, 574, 575, 576, 577  Next