Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24534 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 583, 584, 585, 586, 587, 588, 589 ... 614  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:30 am 

Man In Black wrote:
I'm supposed to be getting a bike through this UK Cycle scheme which I'm looking forward to. I used to do a lot of riding as a young man but sort of gave it up.
Can anyone recommend a website or list of events that might be good to train for? I think something like the London to Brighton ride would be a good one.

Any of the wiggle sportives are great fun and well-run - https://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/

They usually have a mixture of distances to cater for riders of all levels/levels of fitness.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:08 am 

Joost wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
I'm supposed to be getting a bike through this UK Cycle scheme which I'm looking forward to. I used to do a lot of riding as a young man but sort of gave it up.
Can anyone recommend a website or list of events that might be good to train for? I think something like the London to Brighton ride would be a good one.

Any of the wiggle sportives are great fun and well-run - https://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/

They usually have a mixture of distances to cater for riders of all levels/levels of fitness.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:14 pm 

Did conventional deadlifts for the first time in years yesterday and I've forgotten how to pull. Upper/mid back is in pieces and I didn't push myself as everything felt wrong. Glutes and hamstrings are fine and it is normally them that kill me the next day.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:48 pm 

Had a back op just over a year ago. Bought some weights for home and started lifting (embarrassingly) lightly end of Nov.

Last month, did something to my elbows. Both hurt but my right is bad on the inside. Not tennis elbow.
Thought it might be golfer's elbow but some (don't judge me) YouTube self-diagnosis seems to disagree. Can't even wave hello without pain.

Stopped for a month (been cycling, HATE cycling!) and it's not appreciably better.

Properly annoyed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:43 am 

Got a half marathon on Sunday, thought I had a lot longer to train for it but I'll just have to go in with whatever fitness I have. Fun times on Monday I think.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:04 am 

2 weeks of chiropractic, dry needle therapy and deep tissue massage and I’ll be back in the gym tomorrow. Fingers crossed my back doesn’t seize up again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:11 pm 

So did conventional deadlifts again yesterday and everything felt so much better. Even had some speed of the floor. Hamstrings and glutes feel good today. Hopefully actually start to pull some decent weights again over the next few months.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:39 pm 

First time I’ve ever used straps for barbell rows today, I’m deadlifting twice a week at the moment and my hands are killing me, it was amazing.

Can’t believe I’ve only just stumbled across it :lol:

Did 5 sets of 6 at 115. Felt like I could have gone another 10kg heavier.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:46 pm 

newportblue wrote:
First time I’ve ever used straps for barbell rows today, I’m deadlifting twice a week at the moment and my hands are killing me, it was amazing.

Can’t believe I’ve only just stumbled across it :lol:

Did 5 sets of 6 at 115. Felt like I could have gone another 10kg heavier.

I used straps for high rep pull ups a couple of months ago and I was impressed with how good it felt. Really focused on fatiguing the lats, rather than losing grip.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:21 am 

Starting a desk based 9-5 job on Monday for the first time in a couple of years. Not sure if my gains will improve as the job is less physically demanding than my current one, or if I'll lose them all and tighten up from sitting down all day. Either way I'm decidedly :( about having to fit gym around work schedule as opposed to the other way around, which is how it's been for the last couple of years.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:34 am 

See if you can swindle a standing desk. Should be able to help you out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:27 pm 

I played football for the first time in 3 months on Tuesday and felt great. Looking forward to a positive summer and getting out twice a week on the pitch and other shit.

Until I just rolled my ankle in a pot hole near my gaff on the way home from the pub. FML.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:35 pm 

Tight triceps. Anyone got any advice on how to stop this? My upper body/arms day is variably effected by my right triceps tightening up something chronic. The problem is, I can't see a pattern. Theres no rhyme or reason to it. Some days it is tightening on the warm-up, while other days a get a great session in and it's only towards the end do they start to give out...and it's only the one arm?! :?

It's been suggested I'm not fueling right, and that may well be the case as I take absolutely no interest in what goes in and at what times. Could that be it, or something else?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:37 am 

Completed 5 days in a row training. Quite sore last night but chuffed I managed it.

Woke up this morning with the flu :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:46 am 

Rumham wrote:
I played football for the first time in 3 months on Tuesday and felt great. Looking forward to a positive summer and getting out twice a week on the pitch and other shit.

Until I just rolled my ankle in a pot hole near my gaff on the way home from the pub. FML.

:lol:
Soz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:47 am 

Jeff, stretch and mash the shit out of it with a lacrosse ball.
Maybe look at taking electrolyte supps?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:13 pm 

Did a half on Sunday. 1:50:38, was about 5 minutes slower than I wanted. Went out too quick and my plan of upping the tempo for the last 7 but I didn't have much left to up the tempo.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:02 am 

TheSmurf wrote:
Had a back op just over a year ago. Bought some weights for home and started lifting (embarrassingly) lightly end of Nov.

Last month, did something to my elbows. Both hurt but my right is bad on the inside. Not tennis elbow.
Thought it might be golfer's elbow but some (don't judge me) YouTube self-diagnosis seems to disagree. Can't even wave hello without pain.

Stopped for a month (been cycling, HATE cycling!) and it's not appreciably better.

Properly annoyed.

That sounds shit mate. It sounds like some type of tendonitus. I'm guessing you probably over-did the weights thinking they were "too light" (there's no such thing). Tendonitus in my arms is the bane of my exercise life. I pretty much just decided it's never going to get better so f-ck it. Just warm it up well and train anyway and deal with the ache afterwards. I've had it for about fifteen years since over-training in my youth. I've tried everything to fix it, including massive long lay-offs (like 6 months). The rest helps a bit, but the sad fact is that life is short and none of have 6 months to waste.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:05 am 

ElementFreak wrote:
Did a half on Sunday. 1:50:38, was about 5 minutes slower than I wanted. Went out too quick and my plan of upping the tempo for the last 7 but I didn't have much left to up the tempo.

You do realise that London was a full marathon?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:04 am 

Man In Black wrote:

Funnily enough I was just going to ask for a bit of help/guidance on this http://www.velothon.com/events/velothon ... z5DTqYd2pW

I've been roped in by work colleagues and have done very little training so far. I've 2 months to go and at present, I don't think my fitness level is going to get me around. I can ride for about 2.5 hours max, but I am training on a mountain bike (I'll be borrowing a roadbike for the month leading up and the event itself). Any suggestions? I'm assuming it's just going to be time in the saddle.....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:23 pm 

130kg back squat for 6 sets of 4
60kg split squats 5 sets of 10 each leg
5 sets of 10 50kg face down rows
5 sets of 10 45kg back extensions
15 Nordic hamstring curls
Some plyometrics a 1500m row and out

Slept about 3 hours last night and that was my most comfortable session in months

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:54 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:

You do realise that London was a full marathon?

I'm an overachiever like that, I just finished it early.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:29 pm 

Had two hours on the water on Saturday an four hours on Sunday. Lots of booze too so need to knuckle down this week.

This evening I have:

10 x 6min ergs (5 mins at UT1 and 1 min at LT1 max). No rests between sets. Rating 20 and 32.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:45 pm 

La heinous wrote:
Man In Black wrote:

Funnily enough I was just going to ask for a bit of help/guidance on this http://www.velothon.com/events/velothon ... z5DTqYd2pW

I've been roped in by work colleagues and have done very little training so far. I've 2 months to go and at present, I don't think my fitness level is going to get me around. I can ride for about 2.5 hours max, but I am training on a mountain bike (I'll be borrowing a roadbike for the month leading up and the event itself). Any suggestions? I'm assuming it's just going to be time in the saddle.....

Try and build up over a series of long rides at the weekends. Don't go mad during the week but do try and get some rides in at an easy pace and make sure you stretch.

Get the bike set up properly to try and avoid any niggles and pay attention to what you eat and drink on the longer rides at the weekends. You don' want to be one of those guys dropping your guts in a field because you've decided to try caffeine energy gels for the first time after 5 hours on the bike :lol: . I prefer High5 4:1 and plain water to drink, and bananas and clif bars to eat. Make sure you're eating and drinking regularly because its easy to get overexcited and fudge it up and once you're behind everything its that much harder.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:48 pm 

Lads if you're on Instagram Peter Stringer is well worth a follow, some really interesting assistance/mobility type stuff in amongst the incredible levels of pump :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:28 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
TheSmurf wrote:

Properly annoyed.

That sounds shit mate. It sounds like some type of tendonitus. I'm guessing you probably over-did the weights thinking they were "too light" (there's no such thing). Tendonitus in my arms is the bane of my exercise life. I pretty much just decided it's never going to get better so f-ck it. Just warm it up well and train anyway and deal with the ache afterwards. I've had it for about fifteen years since over-training in my youth. I've tried everything to fix it, including massive long lay-offs (like 6 months). The rest helps a bit, but the sad fact is that life is short and none of have 6 months to waste.

Cheers, I'm kind of doing the fuck-it thing now as well.
I think I buggered it doing goblet squats (because I don't have a squat rack at home), and messed them up doing a terrible form 50kg (see, very light!) bicep curl when finishing the set.

The only exercise I simply cannot do at the moment is lateral raises. Even with 10kgs by the second rep the inside of my elbows are on fire.
Weirdly bicep curls don't hurt that much, but again I'm starting again on pissy little weights.

Because of the back op I'm very gentle on deadlifts so they're not heavy enough to hurt anything yet.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:43 pm 

not sure those lateral raises are that great anyway. I'd suggest doing high-pulls (barbell thigh to neck) instead. I dunno though I'm no expert on that shit. good luck with it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:39 pm 

Lat raises done correctly are great for isolating the medial delts. High pulls are a power exercise which will work the delts somewhat, but are not ideal for specifically targeting the outside of the shoulders.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:16 am 

Did high/front raises (with dumbells to allow a little wrist flexibility) yesterday - worked the medial delts a little but my traps and upper back are deliciously sore :D
While it doesn't isolate the delts, they get enough and I can at least do them with minimal elbow pain.

Good advice and info both, thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:22 am 

Been very spotty getting to the gym the last few weeks, did an unplanned quick leg session last night. Squat 100kg x6, 4 sets, DL 130kg x6, 2 sets.
First session in a week and a half. Slept well after it. :thumbup:

Probably one last session in this gym before I move and get settled in my new place. Then I can get back into a rhythm.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:27 am 

Nolanator wrote:
Lat raises done correctly are great for isolating the medial delts. High pulls are a power exercise which will work the delts somewhat, but are not ideal for specifically targeting the outside of the shoulders.

Well, I'm not a bodybuilder. I've always suspected most of these isolation type exercises are a bit of gym wankery (although I still admit to doing beach-gun curls). As far as side raises go, I'd suggest at-least bending the elbows and leading up with the elbows. If your arms are just straight out (even relatively), I imagine it would be a lot of pressure on the elbow joint, which is exactly the spot he's having trouble with. And if your elbows are bent and you're leading up with your elbows, there's going to be a bee's-dick of difference between that a high-pull anyway. As I conceded before, I'm not physio expert or anything. Just relating a fair bit of experience in the gym and my own gut hunches.

TheSmurf wrote:
Did high/front raises (with dumbells to allow a little wrist flexibility) yesterday - worked the medial delts a little but my traps and upper back are deliciously sore :D
While it doesn't isolate the delts, they get enough and I can at least do them with minimal elbow pain.

Good advice and info both, thanks.

This is exactly the reason I prefer these types of compound moves ... the bang-for-your-buck. A couple (or even one good one tbh) of compound of moves should be enough - in my personal opinion - to do your entire shoulder. Unless you're a steroid-pumped competition bodybuilder. Then you might want to do more isolation stuff, I dunno about that and everyone is different, so meh... And yeah, they smash your traps. It's great for them. :) :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:45 am 

danny_fitz wrote:
Had two hours on the water on Saturday an four hours on Sunday. Lots of booze too so need to knuckle down this week.

This evening I have:

10 x 6min ergs (5 mins at UT1 and 1 min at LT1 max). No rests between sets. Rating 20 and 32.

That was fecking horrible.

Roughly averaged 2:01 splits on the low rating pieces and 1:43 on the high rating sprints.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:53 am 

P.S. regarding those high-pulls, which are one of my all-time favourite exercices, I found that through my own experience, it feels best to start them in a kind of quarter-squat position. So knees slightly bent, and bum and chest slightly out with a concave lower back. In a manner that your upper torso is perpendicular to the ground and the weight is coming straight up, starting at your mid things, the bar brushing your chest up to neck-level. This should take your back out of a little bit more and and put more emphasis on the shoulders, traps and biceps. If you want to make it a power move, you can explode upwards as you do it, even on to your toes.

I see this move as a subset of an Olympic clean'n'jerk. The first part is a deadlift, the next is the high-pull, the next a front-squat and the final an over-head press (or "jerk" if you do it as a power move). So if you think of it like that, you start in the position just before the deadlift ends and end in the position just before you catch the bar for the front squat. It's also part of a snatch (wide-grip deadlift, wide-grip high-pull, overhead squat).

As a side-point, it's part of the reason I recommend against doing Olympic lifts, especially in a crowded gym or if your technique is iffy or if you've never been properly trained and practised on how to bail on a lift: you can get almost all the benefits by breaking down the Oly moves without the safety risk. Olympic lifts, in my opinion, are necessary only for Olympic competition. For everyone else, the main benefit to them is they look bad-ass (and they're fun to do).

Sorry for the opinionated rants this morning. This is purely my own personal opinion and experience.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:20 am 

[/quote]
This is exactly the reason I prefer these types of compound moves ... the bang-for-your-buck. A couple (or even one good one tbh) of compound of moves should be enough - in my personal opinion - to do your entire shoulder. Unless you're a steroid-pumped competition bodybuilder. Then you might want to do more isolation stuff, I dunno about that and everyone is different, so meh... And yeah, they smash your traps. It's great for them. :) :thumbup:[/quote]

IMO There seems to have been a shift in the last few years and isolations are looked down on. I think it comes from crossfit and being “functional”. It’s a balance I think, while your programme should be largely based on compound lifts, there is nothing wrong with isolations. At the end of your session or maybe a “fluff” day they have their place.

Things like direct upper back work/ rear delts for shoulder health, triceps for better pressing, curls for the girls (and protecting yourself while deadlift) all should be in your programme if you have time as long as you’ve done your main work.

Plus who doesn’t love a pump.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:51 am 

I like high pulls but I do them as an explosive movement from the hang position, basically just doing the second pull of a snatch, though never really go heavy enough to really have to use the shoulders or arms in the movement. I would do cleans from the hang as well but I am so not mobile enough in my wrists and shoulders to actually catch the bar on my shoulders.

As for tendonitis, try and find a sports physio or someone who knows what they are talking about - I have tendonitis in my right shoulder probably caused by throwing the ball one handed into the lineout (and spending hours practising) and spending summers throwing tennis balls off a wall practising my catching for cricket. Shoulder still clicks but I don't get any pain anymore but that only came for doing loads of corrective exercises for my shoulders, especially face pulls and rotator cuff stuff. Have to be careful how I bench (I have to use a close thumbless grip) but otherwise it never bothers me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:23 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Well, I'm not a bodybuilder. I've always suspected most of these isolation type exercises are a bit of gym wankery (although I still admit to doing beach-gun curls). As far as side raises go, I'd suggest at-least bending the elbows and leading up with the elbows. If your arms are just straight out (even relatively), I imagine it would be a lot of pressure on the elbow joint, which is exactly the spot he's having trouble with. And if your elbows are bent and you're leading up with your elbows, there's going to be a bee's-dick of difference between that a high-pull anyway. As I conceded before, I'm not physio expert or anything. Just relating a fair bit of experience in the gym and my own gut hunches.

You're correct in how you say you should do them, but not for the reasons you state. A slight internal rotation in the shoulders and leading with the elbows (almost as if you're emptying a bottle) will isolate the medial delts and remove the temptation to externally rotate the shoulders and bring the thumbs pointing up. If it eliminates elbow pain, then that's a nice extra, but doesn't solve the issue of what's causing the pain.
It's a fair enough point, though, as there's always some niggle to work around or consider.

Quote:
This is exactly the reason I prefer these types of compound moves ... the bang-for-your-buck. A couple (or even one good one tbh) of compound of moves should be enough - in my personal opinion - to do your entire shoulder. Unless you're a steroid-pumped competition bodybuilder. Then you might want to do more isolation stuff, I dunno about that and everyone is different, so meh... And yeah, they smash your traps. It's great for them. :) :thumbup:

Absolutely, compound moves are king, but there's space for a couple of isolation movements; especially when it comes to the shoulders. Lots of pressing and so on will undoubtedly work your shoulders, but the medial and rear delts are not worked nearly as hard as the anterior ones with this approach. You say to do your entire shoulder, that means not neglecting parts of the shoulder, and this necessitates isolation movements. You need to to rear delt and rotator cuff work to compensate for all the pressing/compound lifts.
Controlled movements like upright rows are another alternative, which also work the range of shoulder rotation. Explosive stuff like high pulls will hit the traps and delts to a lesser extent, but explosive exercises are primarily for developing power and speed; they're not an ideal way to ensure shoulder health.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:18 am 

Yeah I get all the points above. And don't get me wrong, I don't mind some isolation work. Especially if it's a trouble area (rehabbing, etc.). I usually save it for biceps (who doesn't want big biceps?) and calves (mine are a trouble area), but don't do isolation on pretty much anything else.

Personally, I just don't like to spend much time in the gym. It saps motivation and encourages over-training (for me at-least). I want to get in and out. So if I can do a few different compounds and hit the major muscle groups from a variety of angles, that'll do me.

If in a week a do high-pulls, bench, shoulder press and bent-over rows, I'm going to go ahead and assume my shoulders (as well as my tricpes, traps, upper back, etc) has been worked out thoroughly enough for my needs. As well as acting as part of my weekly bicep, grip (forearms), chest, back, etc. routine.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:44 pm 

Ah I'm pretty much the same. My lower body days are squats and DLs followed by some optional assistance work if I feel like it - isolation for an area I feel needs work to help the big lifts; while my upper days are a couple of press and row variations with assistance/isolation afterwards.

I guess it just depends what you value as more important as assistance. I rarely do shrugs, but do lots of lat raises and face pulls. Will do a bit of curling or tricep work, but I don't get too fussed about them. I feel like they get hit enough in the compound movements.

The pump from lat raises is also my favourite pump. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:58 pm 

That last sentence is a tad gay

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:26 pm 

When I used to deadlifts, my traps would explode and I'd look like a smaller, hairier version of Bill Goldberg.

Not that I was particularly strong, but jeez my traps were quick growers... Unlike almost every other muscle group.
I may have stared at my little 'cobra hood' in the gym in the past. But I'm better now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24534 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 583, 584, 585, 586, 587, 588, 589 ... 614  Next