Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25820 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 614, 615, 616, 617, 618, 619, 620 ... 646  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:44 am 

No doubt the MacDougal book is an entertaining read, but before I shell out, can somebody confirm if he's actually advocating parkour, foraging or dangling about in trees like those MovNat weirdoes? Because I'm as likely to do any of those as I am to take up ultrarunning.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:10 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
Mog, a while back you were talking about some watches and recommended one that had some fancy functions. Can you recall what they were? I’m in the market for a new one.

It's the Garmin Fenix 5 that I use and really love.

If you're interested, I'm sure you can stick that in the search function and get a few "reviews" that I wrote for it in other threads. :) Short summary is that it's more a fitness watch that smart watch, and it excels at that.

Thanks dude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:11 am 

Womack wrote:
No doubt the MacDougal book is an entertaining read, but before I shell out, can somebody confirm if he's actually advocating parkour, foraging or dangling about in trees like those MovNat weirdoes? Because I'm as likely to do any of those as I am to take up ultrarunning.

The history part is really interesting and worthy of reading on its own.

He does link it into parkour/Natural movement/body as a system and nutrition and newer fads like OCR and Crossfit as a better way of getting fit than the traditional weight lifting isolation methodologies. He doesn't quite go the full Ika in the way he did in Born to Run with creating the minimalist footwear cult.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:20 am 

Womack wrote:

Someone mentioned this in the book thread as well; tempted to give it a look!

I have an image in my mind of you trying Parkour Wommers (tbf, this would be me as well):

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:36 am 

:lol:

I'm as lithe as a cat, I'll have you know :x

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:05 pm 

Getting more confident with my knee.

Squat

135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 5
335 x 3
365 x 3
405 x 1

5 rounds in 22 minutes-
225 x 10 - KB swing(80lb) x10 - ski erg 10 cals
(This was horrible)

GHR 3x10

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:07 pm 

Thought we agreed to go metric, what is all this lb's shite.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:13 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:

I’m too lazy to convert it all, especially with the DOMS I’ve got from that work out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:31 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:

60, 100, 140, 150, 165, 180 kg -ish.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:37 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Winnie wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Really good pressing strength session this morning.
Bench: 95 x,2,2,2, 85 x4,4,4
Pendlay row: 70 x6,6,6,6
OHP: 60 x3,3,3
Incline DB row: 20 x10,10,10

Been working on shoulder mobility before these sessions and it's definitely helping. There the usual stuff like foam roller work on the lats to improve OH extension, but I've found that mashing the front of the shoulder really lets me brace with good form during lifts.
I lie face down with a KB on it's side and the handle pointing up directly into the front of my shoulder. Elevating my arm on a roller or step stretches it even more. Allows me to dig into all the tissues across the front of the shoulder capsule from the top of my pec, through the front delt and even a little bit down the arm. The improvement in movement is night and day afterwards.

Please don’t take this the wrong way.
Is that all you did in your session
Is short blasts with heavier weight the way to go
I was in the gym for an hour I do about 10’or 11 different lifting exercises and a mile run
Not seeing many gains though and still have a gut and love handles

That was my heavy upper body session. Those lifts were all a significant percentage of my max lifts, aparr from the DB rows. That means a fairly long time limbering up to that weight in terms of stretching and warning up, with fairly significant rest periods throughout.

At a basic level, strength training is typically focused on heavy* weights for fewer reps, size building is slightly lighter for more volume. It depends what you want.

*Heavy for me is not heavy for Flaps or NPB, but might be significantly more than someone else could lift.

What weights exercises did you do? I don't even mean how heavy, just reps and sets.

I should also mention that I train several times a week; 3 upper body sessions and 2 lower body. I might only do a relatively small number of working sets on my heavy days, but over the course of a week I'll do a fairly significant amount per muscle group. It means I can train with more intensity for each session and still gets lots of reps done in a week, without burning out.

This morning was lower body volume:
Squats: 122.5 X5, 5 sets
RDLs: 110 x10, 3 sets
Hyperextensions: 15 x15, 3 sets
Step ups: 40 x20, 3 sets

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:50 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

60, 100, 140, 150, 165, 180 kg -ish.

I don’t like the ish.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:51 pm 

Well, 225lbs is a shade over 102kg, so it's not exact.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:40 am 

Nolanator wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Winnie wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Been working on shoulder mobility before these sessions and it's definitely helping. There the usual stuff like foam roller work on the lats to improve OH extension, but I've found that mashing the front of the shoulder really lets me brace with good form during lifts.
I lie face down with a KB on it's side and the handle pointing up directly into the front of my shoulder. Elevating my arm on a roller or step stretches it even more. Allows me to dig into all the tissues across the front of the shoulder capsule from the top of my pec, through the front delt and even a little bit down the arm. The improvement in movement is night and day afterwards.

I was in the gym for an hour I do about 10’or 11 different lifting exercises and a mile run

That was my heavy upper body session. Those lifts were all a significant percentage of my max lifts, aparr from the DB rows. That means a fairly long time limbering up to that weight in terms of stretching and warning up, with fairly significant rest periods throughout.

At a basic level, strength training is typically focused on heavy* weights for fewer reps, size building is slightly lighter for more volume. It depends what you want.

*Heavy for me is not heavy for Flaps or NPB, but might be significantly more than someone else could lift.

What weights exercises did you do? I don't even mean how heavy, just reps and sets.

I should also mention that I train several times a week; 3 upper body sessions and 2 lower body. I might only do a relatively small number of working sets on my heavy days, but over the course of a week I'll do a fairly significant amount per muscle group. It means I can train with more intensity for each session and still gets lots of reps done in a week, without burning out.

Step ups are something I have to add to my training.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:52 am 

2 x 6000m last night rating 20 with 5 mins rest between pieces.

Really struggling at the moment, well off the pace, hoping it is just Christmas excess still working its way out the system.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:00 am 

PB for 1km swim this morning at 18:43 8) Had to pause several times to let quicker swimmers fast so swim fitness is good

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:00 am 

mr flaps wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Winnie wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Step ups are something I have to add to my training.

TBH I only did them cuz a girl I know was doing them and I was in two minds about what to finish the session with.
Was either going to do machine isolation work, or another compound, but I was fairly wrecked by then. The light step ups were more technical and stamina than heavy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:20 pm 

Good session today

Bench
5x5 107.5

Bench is feeling good again, building back up nicely.

Beltless deads
1x5 180 rpe 9
4x5 145

Would like to get to 200x5 and keep these at rpe 9 and beltless.

Pull ups
4x5 bw + 11.25

Curls obviously

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:23 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:

Really struggling at the moment, well off the pace, hoping it is just Christmas excess still working its way out the system.

Are you doing any deload?

I think I’m a bit younger than you, if I don’t back off for one week in four I really start to struggle.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:26 pm 

newportblue wrote:
Good session today

Bench
5x5 107.5

Beltless deads
1x5 180 rpe 9
4x5 145

Pull ups
4x5 bw + 11.25

Curls obviously

Nice. I don’t do much beltless work anymore, my last back tweak put me off.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:30 pm 

5km with mad DOMS in the hamstrings when you get out of bed is tough. Needless to say, didn't challenge my best time. Was quite gassed as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:45 pm 

mr flaps wrote:
newportblue wrote:
Good session today

Bench
5x5 107.5

Beltless deads
1x5 180 rpe 9
4x5 145

Pull ups
4x5 bw + 11.25

Curls obviously

The mate. I’m not sure the beltless makes much difference to anything other than it’s limiting the weight for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:02 pm 

newportblue wrote:
mr flaps wrote:
newportblue wrote:
Good session today

Bench
5x5 107.5

Beltless deads
1x5 180 rpe 9
4x5 145

Pull ups
4x5 bw + 11.25

Curls obviously

The mate. I’m not sure the beltless makes much difference to anything other than it’s limiting the weight for me.

I just have much more confidence bracing into a belt.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:23 am 

I am on a Jim stoppani programme which is 6 days a week in the gym. leg day I am avoiding bar the calf work outs as I can barely get my legs in to my suits. Years of squats and DL's ruined being able to buy normal clothes. I have lost almost all upper body definition however my thighs never shrink. I am a cheat I know.

I did a few sets of empty bar squats for mobility, however I have to front squat as my arm is not flexible enough to hold the bar behind me. I had my shoulder rebuild last April.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:07 am 

Armchair_Superstar wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

I think I’m a bit younger than you, if I don’t back off for one week in four I really start to struggle.

Pretty much training 6 days a week without any planned 'deload'. Get the odd weekend off when I am watching Munster/Ireland play and thats about it.

Did 25km in a single yesterday and another 12km on Saturday. Really trying to develop as a sculler at the moment as I want to start enterting competitions in the summer. Need lots more work on my core though.

Last edited by danny_fitz on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:12 am 

Hey guys. Been out of sport for nearly a year besides refereeing and coaching, gained waaaaaaayyy to much weight and back to the gym after work. Any workout suggestions for strength, weight loss and fitness build-up to return to rugby in February?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:51 pm 

Just do the main compound lifts with good form. Squats, DLs, bench, pull ups, OHP. Nothing fancy needed when building back up a foundation. Maybe look into something like Starting Strength.

Great session this morning. Hadn't intended on going so heavy with the DLs, but the RPE wasn't as high as if thought it would be and I had no discomfort during the reps. Nice little blood blister pressure mark on my lower abdomen where the belt dug into my pelvis.

Squat: 130x2, 135x2, 5 sets, 130x5
DLs: 160x3, 170x2,2, 180x1
Hip thrusts: 150x10, 3 sets
BSS: 15x12 each, 3 sets

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:13 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
Hey guys. Been out of sport for nearly a year besides refereeing and coaching, gained waaaaaaayyy to much weight and back to the gym after work. Any workout suggestions for strength, weight loss and fitness build-up to return to rugby in February?

Try using super sets and giant set as much as possible.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:48 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

Pretty much training 6 days a week without any planned 'deload'. Get the odd weekend off when I am watching Munster/Ireland play and thats about it.

Did 25km in a single yesterday and another 12km on Saturday. Really trying to develop as a sculler at the moment as I want to start enterting competitions in the summer. Need lots more work on my core though.

There will be longer-term gains to be had from getting used to all the volume and you will probably be making good skills gains as well.

It just gets harder to continually improve a particular test result without building a bit of rest and recovery in.

If you're aiming for the summer then most programmes would have you doing winter volume at the minute anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:55 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

There will be longer-term gains to be had from getting used to all the volume and you will probably be making good skills gains as well.

It just gets harder to continually improve a particular test result without building a bit of rest and recovery in.

If you're aiming for the summer then most programmes would have you doing winter volume at the minute anyway.

Current training schedule involves a lot of mileage as we are in middle of the head season so ergs are of the 45mins / 11km plus variety with 5km tests thrown in. As we move into the regatta season we will migrate to sprint training so 10 x 500m / 2km tests etc. Got a bit fed up with being in big boats as other squad members have been a bit slack with their training which makes it very frustrating when they are blowing out their arses half way through a race and essentially become passengers. At least with a single scull there is nobody to blame but yourself if you perform badly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:31 pm 

Last nights upper body session.

Floor press 275lbs 5x5

Superset-Duffalo bar bench 235lbs 3x8 bent over row 185lbs 3x10

Croc rows 135lb Dumbbell 3x10

Incline Dumbbell press 75lbers 3x12

Face pulls/pull aparts

Curls/tricep extensions.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:35 pm 

My coach is a sadist. I took 3 weeks off for Xmas and he programmed me tempo pause squats as a welcome back present :|

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:24 pm 

Stevus55 wrote:
My coach is a sadist. I took 3 weeks off for Xmas and he programmed me tempo pause squats as a welcome back present :|

That will be some serious DOMS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:17 pm 

Stevus55 wrote:

Revolting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:05 pm 

Just half an hour on the erg last night, it was horribly though.

5 x (2 min full tilt sprint followed by 4 min UT1 at stroke rate 20)

Breathing out my fecking hole

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:43 pm 

I started training again for the first time in 6-7 months this week with an upper body session. That was on Monday so I was expecting it to be reasonably painful for the next day or two as muscles get worked again fir the first time in so long but it’s now Thursday and my muscles (back and chest/upper bicep mostly) are still just as painful if not worse. Surprisingly, did a lower body + tricep sesion yesterday and my legs are fine today

Is this normal? Aside from just maning up (har har) any tips for rest/recovery? I had booked in for a circuits class today but i’m having second thoughts to just rest today and do some cardio today just

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:37 pm 

Completely normal. Anecdotally, I've found that after a reasonable amount of time off, the muscle pain will build up over 48 hours after the session and only ease off after another day or two. It can be absolutely crippling. On rare occasions I've resorted to ibuprofen or paracetamol to help get to sleep.

When I'm in a regular routine and eating/sleeping appropriately I can handle fairly large amounts of weekly volume with minimal DOMS.
Take a week or two off and the first week back is noticeably more painful. Several months will mean loads of pain.

It'll pass.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:47 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Completely normal. Anecdotally, I've found that after a reasonable amount of time off, the muscle pain will build up over 48 hours after the session and only ease off after another day or two. It can be absolutely crippling. On rare occasions I've resorted to ibuprofen or paracetamol to help get to sleep.

When I'm in a regular routine and eating/sleeping appropriately I can handle fairly large amounts of weekly volume with minimal DOMS.
Take a week or two off and the first week back is noticeably more painful. Several months will mean loads of pain.

It'll pass.

Yeah, no doubt it’ll pass but i’ve never felt post gym pain like it before. I’m a teacher so even reaching up to point out something on the board was a struggle :lol:

Think I might try this class today later as well. I’ll rest tomorrow :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:49 pm 

Give the circuits class a go. Chances are it won't be excessively intense for any one specific muscle group, but it'll get things moving and get the blood flowing. Certainly helps with recovery, in my experience.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:34 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Give the circuits class a go. Chances are it won't be excessively intense for any one specific muscle group, but it'll get things moving and get the blood flowing. Certainly helps with recovery, in my experience.

Having not trained for 6 months or so my fitness is way down, so any class is intense for me at this stage :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:35 pm 

2 x 6000m rating 20 last night.

8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25820 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 614, 615, 616, 617, 618, 619, 620 ... 646  Next