Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25590 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 621, 622, 623, 624, 625, 626, 627 ... 640  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:53 pm 

The belt :thumbup:

One of my calluses tore off last week x(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:56 pm 

I'm a fidgeter, bite my nails, hands constantly moving. I pick at my callouses absent-mindedly and then bite them off without realising that people are looking at me. :lol: x(
They're usually fairly soft as a result and the fresh surface constantly tears on the gnurling.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:27 pm 

3 x 2000m this evening

500m at rating 26
1000m at rate 30
and 500m at 32+

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:10 pm 

What's your grip strength like Nols? Any particular reason for the straps? Worried about bicep tears?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:11 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
3 x 2000m this evening

500m at rating 26
1000m at rate 30
and 500m at 32+

What drag factor do you use for these?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:14 pm 

ManInTheBar wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
3 x 2000m this evening

500m at rating 26
1000m at rate 30
and 500m at 32+

Typically around 125

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:17 pm 

feckwanker wrote:
What's your grip strength like Nols? Any particular reason for the straps? Worried about bicep tears?

It's fairly shit double overhand, TBH. Mixed grip feels weird cuz I haven't done it in ages. I feel like my torso is twisted unevenly because my shoulders have very different ranges of motion and flexibility.

I can pull 150kg double overhand with chalk, but I can feel it beginning to go, and that makes my form go to shit. Wraps just let me concentrate on posture, hip hinge, etc without distractions.

I probably should do more grip work, though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:17 pm 

I wonder if in Nols' anecdote from the previous page, was his name Danny Fits ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:20 pm 

backrow wrote:

That's much funnier than your first attempt. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:30 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
ManInTheBar wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
3 x 2000m this evening

500m at rating 26
1000m at rate 30
and 500m at 32+

Typically around 125

Impressive rates for that drag

I used to pretend I was a GB triallist (140), then when I got older a GB Girl (130). Now I take Steve Gunn's advice and do them all at 110

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:35 pm 

ManInTheBar wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
ManInTheBar wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
3 x 2000m this evening

500m at rating 26
1000m at rate 30
and 500m at 32+

Typically around 125

Impressive rates for that drag

I used to pretend I was a GB triallist (140), then when I got older a GB Girl (130). Now I take Steve Gunn's advice and do them all at 110

I used to knock around 115 but my coach decided to ramp it up.

Last year, he made us do all our ergs on setting 0 but to keep the same watts output. Now that was a cruel and usual punishment.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:40 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
I used to knock around 115 but my coach decided to ramp it up.

Last year, he made us do all our ergs on setting 0 but to keep the same watts output. Now that was a cruel and usual punishment.

Apparently there is (or was) a GB camp test which was 20 minutes, free rate, lever = 0 and a wet towel over the flywheel. If you've ever tried that ...... I lasted about 5 minutes before falling over with a HR at >180

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:55 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
backrow wrote:

That's much funnier than your first attempt. :lol:

ah I'm sure you'd find a way to make it fit in ya with all that Chalk ye harp on about, Mr kex-Banger
good CObus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:55 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
feckwanker wrote:

It's fairly shit double overhand, TBH. Mixed grip feels weird cuz I haven't done it in ages. I feel like my torso is twisted unevenly because my shoulders have very different ranges of motion and flexibility.

I can pull 150kg double overhand with chalk, but I can feel it beginning to go, and that makes my form go to shit. Wraps just let me concentrate on posture, hip hinge, etc without distractions.

Tried hook grip? It’s not comfortable but I think a lot of the whinging about the pain is overblown tbh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:00 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
feckwanker wrote:

Only had this epiphany recently. Hugely important IMO, disappointed I neglected it for so long. Much more stability on all lifts, and a confident grip really helps with maintaining good lift posture/discipline.

I recommend farmer's walks. My old gym used to have this beauty too but of all the gyms I've been to it's the only place I've ever seen it:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:40 pm 

Stevus55 wrote:
Tried hook grip?

Yes. Fuck hook grip.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:48 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:59 am 

danny_fitz wrote:
3 x 2000m this evening

500m at rating 26
1000m at rate 30
and 500m at 32+

:(( :x :blush:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:01 am 

danny_fitz wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
3 x 2000m this evening

500m at rating 26
1000m at rate 30
and 500m at 32+

Good work, especially the second one. Hard hard to lay it down when you know you have another one to do afterwards

Are you in the Vets Head? I see a Twickers D crew at 111.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:52 am 

ManInTheBar wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
3 x 2000m this evening

500m at rating 26
1000m at rate 30
and 500m at 32+

Good work, especially the second one. Hard hard to lay it down when you know you have another one to do afterwards

I was blowing out my hole after the second piece.

To be honest I might add an extra days rest, I am perpetually knackered at the moment and feel I am doing weights and ergs at what feels like an up hill struggle. Too old for six days a week.

I am doing the HOTR on the Saturday, there is a chance I might get collared for the D crew on the Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:57 am 

danny_fitz wrote:
ManInTheBar wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
3 x 2000m this evening

500m at rating 26
1000m at rate 30
and 500m at 32+

I was blowing out my hole after the second piece.

To be honest I might add an extra days rest, I am perpetually knackered at the moment and feel I am doing weights and ergs at what feels like an up hill struggle. Too old for six days a week.

I am doing the HOTR on the Saturday, there is a chance I might get collared for the D crew on the Sunday.

Appropriate rest is key to gaining the maximum benefit from training. Coaches need to balance beasting with listening to athlete's bodies, taking into account their actual performance.

I'm in the bows of 123, the first of the E crews to start. We are being chased by
Sideways Shovers
University Barge Club Philadelphia (USA)
Ardingly
Molesey (Searle)

We think they have ordered the crews from youngest to oldest rather than fastest to slowest. Should make for interesting times!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:10 pm 

ManInTheBar wrote:
Appropriate rest is key to gaining the maximum benefit from training. Coaches need to balance beasting with listening to athlete's bodies, taking into account their actual performance.

I'm in the bows of 123, the first of the E crews to start. We are being chased by
Sideways Shovers
Ardingly
Molesey (Searle)

We think they have ordered the crews from youngest to oldest rather than fastest to slowest. Should make for interesting times!

I should be nowhere near the senior mens squad but we lack the critical mass in numbers to create proper competition in the A boat. I was asked to join the squad as I was posting better scores then some of lads half my age. Not sure if the coach just wanted me there as a motivational tool 'Look, that old f*cker over there is beating you, what are you going to do about it". It's nice being a fast balanced boat though.

Basically we are going through a bit of a rebuilding phase after a few disastrous coaching appointments that resulted in mass walk outs from both the mens and ladies squads, Kingston and Molsey did well out of our exodus. We have slowly turned a corner and we have some decent talent coming through our learn to row and junior sections. It will be another couple of seasons before we can have a crew to compete at Henley though. I am currently grooming a few of the older learn to row guys to form a Masters C boat, they are big ex rugby lads with a nice competitive edge, raw but keen and can do some damage over 1000m.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:13 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
ManInTheBar wrote:

Sideways Shovers
Ardingly
Molesey (Searle)

I should be nowhere near the senior mens squad but we lack the critical mass in numbers to create proper competition in the A boat. I was asked to join the squad as I was posting better scores then some of lads half my age. Not sure if the coach just wanted me there as a motivational tool 'Look, that old f*cker over there is beating you, what are you going to do about it". It's nice being a fast balanced boat though.

Basically we are going through a bit of a rebuilding phase after a few disastrous coaching appointments that resulted in mass walk outs from both the mens and ladies squads, Kingston and Molsey did well out of our exodus. We have slowly turned a corner and we have some decent talent coming through our learn to row and junior sections. It will be another couple of seasons before we can have a crew to compete at Henley though. I am currently grooming a few of the older learn to row guys to form a Masters C boat, they are big ex rugby lads with a nice competitive edge, raw but keen and can do some damage over 1000m.

Excellent! It's not all about HRR, really it isn't. Plenty of 1k regattas with good pots, in grand settings and with new foe to crush under your heels.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:20 pm 

ManInTheBar wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
ManInTheBar wrote:

Sideways Shovers
Ardingly
Molesey (Searle)

Excellent! It's not all about HRR, really it isn't. Plenty of 1k regattas with good pots, in grand settings and with new foe to crush under your heels.

I am all over chasing pots this summer!

Still, nothing can beat the joke pot I got last season at Chiswick regatta where we got through to the final only to find that Thames had been disqualified for racing with a new non registered crew member. The other semi finalist Thames had beaten had already packed up and gone home so we ended up in the final on our own, all we had to do is complete the course and cross the finish line and we nearly f*cked that up when our bow man had an epileptic fit about 600m in, while we were trying to secure him in the boat the stream carried us across the line and since we had not technically had assistance from the rescue boat who were still making their way to the scene we were deemed to have 'won' the race. I think it was a sympathy pot.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:36 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
ManInTheBar wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
ManInTheBar wrote:

Sideways Shovers
Ardingly
Molesey (Searle)

Still, nothing can beat the joke pot I got last season at Chiswick regatta where we got through to the final only to find that Thames had been disqualified for racing with a new non registered crew member. The other semi finalist Thames had beaten had already packed up and gone home so we ended up in the final on our own, all we had to do is complete the course and cross the finish line and we nearly f*cked that up when our bow man had an epileptic fit about 600m in, while we were trying to secure him in the boat the stream carried us across the line and since we had not technically had assistance from the rescue boat who were still making their way to the scene we were deemed to have 'won' the race. I think it was a sympathy pot.

Epilepsy eek!

I have twice seen crews/scullers fall in from winning positions as they approach the finish line - in one case we decided that the double concerned were still attached to the boat (they were upside down) and in the other the sculler just got laughed at as she swam across the finish.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:44 pm 

ManInTheBar wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
ManInTheBar wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
ManInTheBar wrote:

Sideways Shovers
Ardingly
Molesey (Searle)

Epilepsy eek!

I have twice seen crews/scullers fall in from winning positions as they approach the finish line - in one case we decided that the double concerned were still attached to the boat (they were upside down) and in the other the sculler just got laughed at as she swam across the finish.

This lad was at bow so everyone had assumed he had just caught a crab so got all sorts of abuse when he failed to recover himself until our two seat piped up "Erm......I think he is having some kind of seizure". Luckily his shoes kept him in the boat as he was on his back on the canvas.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:53 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
This lad was at bow so everyone had assumed he had just caught a crab so got all sorts of abuse when he failed to recover himself until our two seat piped up "Erm......I think he is having some kind of seizure". Luckily his shoes kept him in the boat as he was on his back on the canvas.

Nasty!

I have been at 4 regattas where there were 'heart attacks'. Two were fatal, 2 survived. Two were during or immediately after racing, one was a coach who had an episode while following a race and the other was a competitor in the car park.

I think I'm unlucky and you shouldn't go to events where I am officiating.

I am coming to Twickenham Regatta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:02 pm 

ManInTheBar wrote:
in the other the sculler just got laughed at as she swam across the finish.

Does that count as a valid finish?

Having seen a guy having a fit in the gym on Monday, where he had medical attention within seconds; the thoughts of someone having one out on the water is scary. :uhoh:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:06 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
ManInTheBar wrote:
in the other the sculler just got laughed at as she swam across the finish.

Does that count as a valid finish?

Nope, the rule says that you have to be "attached to the boat" - every crew must finish with the same number that it started with.

It is a very long standing rule that was introduced in 18oatcake following a race at Henley Royal Regatta when the cox of the Brasenose four jumped out of the boat shortly after the start and the remaining oarsmen won quite easily (thus inventing a whole new class of racing now seen to best advantage in the GB coxless four).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:38 pm 

Didn't sleep enough last night and had a very taxing session yesterday morning, but I felt strong this morning.

Started with three sets of eight on squats to get reps in, then all chest work.
Worked up to a bench single at 102.5kg (lifetime PR by 500g :smug: ), but failed at 105. Very close to getting it. Think my lats (left one specifically) are getting stronger, so my bench technique is improving. The strength is coming along, but I fail by losing my lat brace. Few back off sets at 92kg

Finished chest work with paused incline and floor press. Then I did a few DB carries, after the chat about grip strength yesterday. I only went with 20kg DBs in each hand, but made of point of keeping good form. Forearms were knackered afterwards and I can feel it in my upper traps now. I might try and fit loaded carry variations in a couple of times a week for grip strength, core, and conditioning work. :thumbup:

Evidence of the new PR. Time to back off the singles for a few weeks and bring up the number of reps I can do at slightly lighter weights. One of my goals is to able to do "a few" reps at 100kg, not just a single RPE 9 effort.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:29 pm 

ManInTheBar wrote:

Forgot to reply to this. Look me up when you are there (I will be the one with all the pots) cand I shall get you a pint in our clubhouse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:01 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
ManInTheBar wrote:

Forgot to reply to this. Look me up when you are there (I will be the one with all the pots) cand I shall get you a pint in our clubhouse

Excellent, I will be the pompous tw@t in the Blazer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:00 am 

Got the first decent cycle of the year in yesterday, been really limited by working a 6 Day week for the past 2 months meaning I've had to make do with my commutes and a time limited weekend spin. Thankfully that's finishing up now.

Also got a Polar M200 watch for cheap so keen to play around with that. Bit disappointed that it stopped after about 3 hours of my ride yesterday, but probably it's meant more for running than cycling.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:39 am 

Opened a new sack of whey this morning. Turns out I didn't buy the correct flavour. It's unflavoured. Only another 4kg to get through. :( x(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:49 am 

Nolanator wrote:
Opened a new sack of whey this morning. Turns out I didn't buy the correct flavour. It's unflavoured. Only another 4kg to get through. :( x(

you need to mix it with some Dried Grass to make it more potable.

Spoiler: show
Whey-hay !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:54 am 

Hah, mix it with wheat grass and call it a superfood. Profit.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:22 pm 

Decided to indulge myself and maxed out on DLs this morning. Also gave mixed grip a go after the chat on here last week. I haven't done mixed grip in a couple of years. Felt pretty weird to start, hips and shoulders weren't level, torso was a bit twisted. Filmed myself so I was able to correct to the point where it was OK. Then went heavy.
Managed a rep at 200kg. Felt pretty rough and my shoulders were a bit forward, but I'm delighted. Haven't done that in over three years and I had a hip/groin injury in that time period where I couldn't squat or DL really for 6 months.
Won't go that heavy again for a while, I'll focus on cleaning up my mixed grip form, but at least I know I have it in me.

Did a few back off doubles at 160kg with my grip the other way around just to keep everything even. Then a couple of sets deficit double pause DLs, but my back and CNS were fairly shagged by that stage, so I didn't push things.

https://youtu.be/KbYWaqlD4Z4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:33 pm 

Toughie this week.

Monday - circuit training
Tuesday - 30 min erg, (2 mins sprint followed by 4 min UT1 x 5)
Wednesday - 2km erg test indoors followed by two 3k on the water sprints
Tonight - 5km on the water sprint
Saturday - Head of the River race, basically the boat race course in reverse, 6.8 km, up against 311 other crews.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:54 pm 

I’ve started seeing some improvements to my terrible squats lately, managed a 3x3 @ 140kgs earlier this week.

Finally getting a little daylight between my squat and bench numbers :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:05 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
Toughie this week.

Monday - circuit training
Tuesday - 30 min erg, (2 mins sprint followed by 4 min UT1 x 5)
Wednesday - 2km erg test indoors followed by two 3k on the water sprints
Tonight - 5km on the water sprint
Saturday - Head of the River race, basically the boat race course in reverse, 6.8 km, up against 311 other crews.

PLUS 22 womens crews - watch out of Oxford Brookes, they'll be tasty (not necessarily in a Yeeb sense)

I see that the Chinese national squad are racing and doubtless many of our own National Treasures will be in crews 2 and 4.

Good Luck!!!

[globus]

One of my mates is due to be Starter

[/globus]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25590 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 621, 622, 623, 624, 625, 626, 627 ... 640  Next