Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25712 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 623, 624, 625, 626, 627, 628, 629 ... 643  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:01 pm 

Howya Bobbs. :thumbup:

Cracking weather to be running in this morning.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:26 pm 

Day two of camp

1 x 12km in a pair
4 x 1500m sprints in a pair
2 x 2000m coxed four

x(

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:50 am 

bobbity wrote:
Hope you are all well.

Little recommendation for those of us who aren't loving heavy squats any more, or are focusing on other things - slow negative and/or 1.5 rep "heavy" goblet squats optionally with pauses, heels elevated a bit for me.

Yep for me at present its goblet squats and retraining grip. Even making a tight fist is a bit painful through the forearm.

Still last week was much much worse . At least can sleep without drugs now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:16 pm 

Good couple of pressing sessions this weekend.

Yesterday did
7 sets of 4 on bench with 130.

Today
7 sets of 4 overhead press with 80

Pressing is moving well at the minute

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:17 am 

Was completely out of the gym last week as I was back home. Definitely a good thing. The lower back twinge I had has almost completely cleared up. Only time I notice it is getting out of bed and when I do a heavy sneeze. Feels good, though.
Got a couple of runs in which kept everything moving. Parkrun on Saturday with my dad and my GF. Was lovely and sunny.

Back lifting this week.
Yesterday:
Squats: 130x2,2,2, 120x3,3,3
Front squat: 70 x6,6,6
SL RDL
Landmine rotations

Spent a good hour foam rolling and stretching beforehand, wasn't in any rush. Then went for a run in the evening cuz it was so nice out. Legs are going to be feeling that for a few days.

This morning:
RDLs: 100 x8,8,8
Bench: 85 5x5
Paused incline: 60 x8,8,8
OHP: 50 x6,6,6 / Rear flies
Narrow LPD

Anyone have any experience with managing really flat feet? My left ankle isn't enjoying dorsiflexion, gives me pain right on the nobble on the inside of the ankle. Need to improve my foot posture.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:09 pm 

Sure enough, DOMS with a vengeance this morning from Monday's leg session. First squats in two weeks will do that.
Felt like I'd been run over by a bus when I woke up. Had a quick recovery swim in the pool before work to loosen up. Literally only 20 easy lengths. Definitely helped with the stiffness, but I'm just sleepy now. Must make more of a habit of it.

My right glute is noticeably more sore than my left. I've been trying to correct for an imbalance when my left side doesn't work as hard on heavy reps. That clearly didn't quite work out this time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:46 am 

DL/back day this morning. First "heavy" DLs in a few weeks.
Mucked around with deficit double paused DLs and staggered stance RDLs after the main DLs.
Did these lighter movements with hook grip. Fúck me, it's horrible. I really need to train myself to use this at properly heavy loads, mixed grip just doesn't suit me and wraps work well, but I lose tension in my torso setting them up. I only did 70kg with hook grip today, even 100 felt too sore. That's only 50% of my max. :(

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:55 pm 

The last three weeks of my contest prep have been a disaster. First the bicep tweak that meant no deadlifting, Stones, Farmers walks or circus Dumbbell. Now I’ve had a week off all lower body work because of ankle problem. Two weeks until the comp, I’m just hoping I don’t zero any events.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:06 pm 

Been back training fairly regularly since middle of Jan. Usually 2 days weights and 1 class a week (spin etc) for more cardio, at the minimum. Dropped a jean size at the start of April, and could probably go down another if I really wanted to. Delighted with that. Finish studying at long last in about a month so got the rest of the summer to try some extra exercises, while not shifting from my normal routine. Aiming to get down to 30" by end of the summer. Gym is currently closed for water damage though x(

Any suggestions welcome :thumbup:

edit:

usual routine's include (not necessarily everything every time)...

5 min warm up on a bike

Back/Biceps:

Seated row, 39kg, 10x5
Lat pull down, wide grip, 32kg, 10x3
Lat pull down, close grip, 32kg, 10x3
Bent over row, 17.5/20kg (depending on what's available), 12/10x3

21's, 15kg, 10x3 (usually struggle with 15-21 though in set 2 and 3)
Negatives, 10kg, 10x3
Bicep curls, 10kg dumbells, 10x3
Cable pull up, 18kg, 10x5

Chest/Shoulder/Triceps:

Chest press, 18kg, 10x3, followed by 16/10kg drop set
Bench press, 40kg, 10x5 (wouldn't bench overly regularly)
Chest press machine, 32kg, 10x5
Shoulder dumb bell press, 16/18kg, 10x3, followed by 14/16 & 10kg drop set
Skullcrushers, 8/10kg (depending on availability), 10x3/5
Cable pull down, 18kg, 10x3
V-Bar cable pull down, 18kg, 10x3

Legs:

Leg press, 75kg, 10x5
Squats, 50kg, 10x5
Occasionally would squad a light-ish barbell and then lift it overhead if shoulders haven't been done. 17.5kg, 12x3
Would do hamstring/calf curl machines as well, but haven't done legs in about a week x(

would usually finish off with some abs and 5/10 mins on a bike

Anything to add? Any good cardio routines to add if there is a spare day anywhere?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:03 pm 

mr flaps wrote:
The last three weeks of my contest prep have been a disaster. First the bicep tweak that meant no deadlifting, Stones, Farmers walks or circus Dumbbell. Now I’ve had a week off all lower body work because of ankle problem. Two weeks until the comp, I’m just hoping I don’t zero any events.

Consider it tapering your training volume. :thumbup:

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:06 pm 

Got sub-24 minutes parkrun for the first time in ages this morning. No big niggles and didn't feel too "hit by a bus" when I woke up.

URH, where you living? Go do your local parkrun on a Saturday morning for extra steady cardio with loads of motivation.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:14 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Got sub-24 minutes parkrun for the first time in ages this morning. No big niggles and didn't feel too "hit by a bus" when I woke up.

URH, where you living? Go do your local parkrun on a Saturday morning for extra steady cardio with loads of motivation.

The closest one I know of is in Lisburn, probably. I’m planning on doing some road running when the better weather comes in again.

I’ve seen some people, while at the gym, do: run, cycle, row, cycle, run, all for 1 mile/1600m’s. I might give that a go at some point, when the gym is open again

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:52 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Anything to add? Any good cardio routines to add if there is a spare day anywhere?

What’s the goal? If it’s purely fat loss then increasing the calories burnt throughout the day is the best way IMO. It gets thrown around a lot and is a simple answer to a complex problem but eating less and moving more is right.

You can burn a couple of hundred calories 3 times a week in the gym or burn a couple of hundred extra calories a day, each day by moving more.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:56 pm 

Bench killed me today. Think I’m going to change the exercise on my “medium” bench day.

Bench
10 sets of 3 132

Deficit dead’s
5x5 140

Pendley row
4x5 115

Ez bar curls

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:14 pm 

newportblue wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:

What’s the goal? If it’s purely fat loss then increasing the calories burnt throughout the day is the best way IMO. It gets thrown around a lot and is a simple answer to a complex problem but eating less and moving more is right.

You can burn a couple of hundred calories 3 times a week in the gym or burn a couple of hundred extra calories a day, each day by moving more.

Can't really do the latter given job restraints. It's not a desk job, but still not overly mobile. Work pretty long hours so in effect i'm restricted to gym time as well, for now. Diet has changed as I eat my lunch and that's about it really until 7 or so when I get my dinner, which does me well now

Fat goal while building some more muscle I suppose would be the two main aims. Not exactly concerned with numeric weight or what the scales say either, tbh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:08 am 

Do you buy your lunch or do you have access to a microwave in work?
Join the Tupperware massif, means you've much more control over what you eat.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:32 am 

Nolanator wrote:
Do you buy your lunch or do you have access to a microwave in work?
Join the Tupperware massif, means you've much more control over what you eat.

Yep, got a microwave. Usually get half of one of those microwavable bags of rice, some meat and veg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:10 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
mr flaps wrote:

Consider it tapering your training volume. :thumbup:

Good luck!

I’ve already told myself that porky pie.😂

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:06 am 

Couple of good sessions.

Sunday:
OHP, shrugs, delt raises, narrow bench, tricep extentions, curls.

This morning: Squats, front squats, sumo DL.

Been doing a lot of hanging from the pullup bar between sets, or doing scapular pull ups. Really nice stretch and helps free up everything.
Also doing more active warmup/activation work. Bird dogs, dead bugs, plank/plank rotation variations, SL glute work, scapular posture, etc depending on what I'm focusing on for that session.

Also been persevering with hook grip on all the sub maximal lifts. Managed 100kg shrugs and sumo DLs with it. High volume sets get quite uncomfortable after a bit and I haven't tried any heavier. Guess it just takes time and commitment.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:17 pm 

Very hard Duathlon yesterday - Storm the castle in Ludlow - 10km Run, 33km bike and 5km run

The two runs combined included 4 times up a 50m vertical ascents of offroad steps (different sizes and spacings nicknamed the Lactic Ladder) and 3 times up a 30m very steep road climb (the wall) to Ludlow castle as well as the rest of the route being mostly offroad so undulating andtricky underfoot. Across the two run legs took 6 or 7 minutes off last years time.

The 33km bike was a nightmare for me this year, firstly dropped the chain leaving transition which jammed between the chainring and frame and took me what felt like ages to free. Then, I just couldn't get going and into my normal rhythm, I even got off the bike again to check my brakes were not rubbing on the rear. There was a headwind but my legs were just not on it, I also had bad hayfever yesterday (I get hayfever about one year in 5) but I'm not using that as an excuse because my running was okay. Just one of those days and I finished about 10 minutes slower than last year having got overtaken lots on the bike when normally I am overtaking people. hit 72kph on one of the descents which was quite frightening in a gusty crosswind

Overall finish time was only about 4 minutes slower than last year in tougher conditions (windy and colder) so i will take that, just disappointed that my bike legs deserted me. Great race though as I really enjoy the tough ones

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:42 pm 

That sounds properly tough, BC.

Sessions going well, form is tight.

Tuesday:
RDLs, bench, paused incline bench, OHP, narrow LPD

This morning:
DLs, paused deficit DLs, hip thrusts, pull ups, seal row

Hammies still a bit sore from Tuesday, but it didn't affect the DLs, which went well. Building up the number of reps/load again. Still using wraps on heavy singles, but I managed 2 sets of 160x3 with just chalk. Hopefully the grip improved a bit.
Still working on killing all the nerve endings in my thumbs, hook grip for the deficit DLs.

Had a two hour train journey to a meeting and back on Tuesday and I've another trip this afternoon/tomorrow. Lots of sitting on trains and in meetings makes my hips ache. :((

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:44 am 

After straining my calf I'm now back in gym and the agility stuff is starting to show signs of improvement.

One thing I'm struggling with is my back exercises, which I've started to focus on for posture and for general strength - after a serious lower back injury a few years ago I'm ashamed the amount I've neglected these muscle areas. It's comfortably my worst muscle group for strength and condition.

It's quite hard to explain, but I just can't get the feeling of 'working' the muscles like i do for other exercises - I tend to simply fatigue in the round, being unable to complete a movement/set, but without the direct 'ache' and feeling of work in the muscle. If I do, for example, leg presses or kettle/goblin squats I can feel my glutes and quads in particular really working, and doing bench press I can feel the pecs and triceps really working and ultimately failing. When I do narrow or wide pulldowns, or seated rows, I just can't feel the muscle working, and perhpas consequentially the strength is not building.

Any ideas what I'm likely to be doing wrong? I've focused upon posture, and keeping shoulder blades down and back and giving them a pinch together at the end of the lift/pull, but it all feels disconnected.

As part of my membership I get a couple of free consultations with fitness instructors which I'm inclined to follow up on, but any ideas in meantime would be gratefully received. I appreciate the query is a bit weird and vague, but I'm not making much progress here and was wondering if others had experienced it.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:54 am 

bobbity wrote:
Hope you are all well.

Little recommendation for those of us who aren't loving heavy squats any more, or are focusing on other things - slow negative and/or 1.5 rep "heavy" goblet squats optionally with pauses, heels elevated a bit for me.

How do those work work? I've started doing goblet (I mistakenly heard them described as 'Goblin') squats mostly as I can never get near a squat rack, and looking to up the intensity a touch.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:59 am 

inactionman wrote:
bobbity wrote:
Hope you are all well.

How do those work work? I've started doing goblet (I mistakenly heard them described as 'Goblin') squats mostly as I can never get near a squat rack, and looking to up the intensity a touch.

1.5 rep squats are like this - drop down to the bottom of the squat, go 'halfway' back up (really about 3/4, I think - you don't want to stop with horizontal thighs), drop back down to the bottom then all the way back up.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:02 am 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
inactionman wrote:
bobbity wrote:
Hope you are all well.

1.5 rep squats are like this - drop down to the bottom of the squat, go 'halfway' back up (really about 3/4, I think - you don't want to stop with horizontal thighs), drop back down to the bottom then all the way back up.

Ta :thumbup:

My legs are hurting just thinking about that. Will give it a go this evening.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:17 am 

Good week so far:

Mon - Weights
Tues - 7km in a single - tech piece
Weds - 12km in a single with 4 x 1km sprint pieces
Thurs - Erg work - pyramid sprint training, (250m, 500m, 1000m, 500m, 250m) x 2

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:47 am 

Rowing camp after day 3

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:44 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
Rowing camp after day 3

Spoiler: show

Pfffft... that's exactly how my hands look after 3 days away from the missus as well...

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 5:22 pm 

inactionman wrote:
After straining my calf I'm now back in gym and the agility stuff is starting to show signs of improvement.

One thing I'm struggling with is my back exercises, which I've started to focus on for posture and for general strength - after a serious lower back injury a few years ago I'm ashamed the amount I've neglected these muscle areas. It's comfortably my worst muscle group for strength and condition.

It's quite hard to explain, but I just can't get the feeling of 'working' the muscles like i do for other exercises - I tend to simply fatigue in the round, being unable to complete a movement/set, but without the direct 'ache' and feeling of work in the muscle. If I do, for example, leg presses or kettle/goblin squats I can feel my glutes and quads in particular really working, and doing bench press I can feel the pecs and triceps really working and ultimately failing. When I do narrow or wide pulldowns, or seated rows, I just can't feel the muscle working, and perhpas consequentially the strength is not building.

Any ideas what I'm likely to be doing wrong? I've focused upon posture, and keeping shoulder blades down and back and giving them a pinch together at the end of the lift/pull, but it all feels disconnected.

As part of my membership I get a couple of free consultations with fitness instructors which I'm inclined to follow up on, but any ideas in meantime would be gratefully received. I appreciate the query is a bit weird and vague, but I'm not making much progress here and was wondering if others had experienced it.

I know what you mean and get the same lack of feeling training back movements. It’s not something I’ve ever thought about... until now.

Some suggestions I can think of off the top of my head.

Use straps where possible
Focus on tempo/ negatives
Make sure you’re getting full range of motion and a good stretch when the muscle is at its “longest”

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:37 pm 

I've found it hardest to maintain the mind muscle connection for my lats. For pretty much everything else I can concentrate on the movement and feel the target muscles contracting.
Found that narrow grip lat pulldowns helped my focus on the lat contraction. For pull ups or wide grip LPD, I need to reset my shoulder blades down and back at the start of each rep to get.the same effect.

It comes eventually. When you get it right you can really feel the soreness the next day.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:43 pm 

Bleh, train up to Brummieland yesterday evening, meeting this morning and afternoon, and then train back down this evening.

Got to the gym after 7, finished after 9.
Squats: 100x8, 4 sets
Bench: 92.5 x2,2, 95 x2,1, 90 x3
Paused bench: 75 x6, 3 sets
DB incline: 25 X10, 3 sets

Band work/scap posture stuff mixed in.

I was working beside guys from the powerlifting club. Meant my form was really good as I was constantly focusing on it from watching them.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:21 am 

Loaded my 270lb Stone for the first time on Friday and it went up pretty easily. My competition is next Saturday and all my events are looking ok except the circus Dumbbell, 3 weeks of not practicing it because of injury has really f**ked me. Probably going to zero that event, but all the others should be ok. Shitting myself though.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:01 am 

mr flaps wrote:
Loaded my 270lb Stone for the first time on Friday and it went up pretty easily. My competition is next Saturday and all my events are looking ok except the circus Dumbbell, 3 weeks of not practicing it because of injury has really f**ked me. Probably going to zero that event, but all the others should be ok. Shitting myself though.

Not ideal. Pretty technical movement to be going in relatively un-trained. Can you choose your opening lifts á la Olympic and power lifting, or is it set loads for all competitors?

How was the Atlas stone with the bicep?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:05 am 

Discovered a bag of Opel Fruits that my missus left in my place ages ago so munched on a few during this morning's session. Had some really good lifts, so I'm assuming that Opel Fruits are basically magic beans. :thumbup:

RDL: 110 x8,8,8
Bench: 88 x5,5,5,5,5
Pause incline: 65 x8,8,7
OHP: 50 x8,8,8
Narrow LPD: 60 x12,12,12, 40 x15

Bench technique continuing to improve. Didn't need a lift out or spot or anything and nailed every rep with good form. It's all about the arch and leg drive.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:02 am 

This thread is dying. :thumbdown:

DL'd 190 for the first time in 6 weeks. It was horrible and quite a grind. I'm fairly sure I lost my lat brace, but my lower back/hips felt decent.
Lots of other glute and back work after that.

Going to the final in Newcastle on Saturday, so I won't get my usual weekend exercise in.
Staying with a friend on Friday night before heading up and he said he'll probably go to the gym in the evening, so I'm entertaining the notion of doing my usual chest session on Friday morning and then my Sunday shoulder/arms session on Friday evening at his gym. Probably a silly idea, but it's a once off and I'll reduce the accessory work on each day so I'm not overdoing it.

Be grand.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:20 am 

Both my squat and bench have come on really well in the last few weeks (particularly considering that injury has forced me to adopt lowbar squatting).

Had a shit night sleep last night but have to go in and try 5 doubles of 95% effort deadlift (220kg). I smell an injury incoming.......

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:22 am 

Pizza. Pizza as recovery food is always the answer when you feel you need to pre-empt the consequences of an excessive session. :thumbup:

Mainline a load of preworkout powder beforehand and munch an bag of Skittles between sets. Also helpful in the short term, but the payback comes hard afterwards.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:26 am 

Nolanator wrote:
Pizza. Pizza as recovery food is always the answer when you feel you need to pre-empt the consequences of an excessive session. :thumbup:

Mainline a load of preworkout powder beforehand and munch an bag of Skittles between sets. Also helpful in the short term, but the payback comes hard afterwards.

I'm planning on a big pasta lunch and a Monster and jellies beforehand. Just have to keep the mental cues sharp though and keep that internal pressure in check for the big sets.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:46 am 

This week

Mon - Weights
Tues - Erg work 10 x 500m sprint
Weds -On the water 11km including 4 x 1km sprint pieces
Thurs - Erg work - pyramid sprint training, (250m, 500m, 1000m, 500m, 250m) x 2
Fri - Rest
Sat - 10km tech outing
Sun - First session 12km tech outing - Second session 1okm including 4 x 1km sprint pieces and practice starts

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:08 pm 

feckwanker wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

I'm planning on a big pasta lunch and a Monster and jellies beforehand. Just have to keep the mental cues sharp though and keep that internal pressure in check for the big sets.

When I first started using my belt earlier this year, I got me eating wrong one day and had loads of pasta or something for dinner the night before and then had a ton of Weetabix before bed and for breakfast.

Needless to say, I was particularly bloated and my belt was very uncomfortable that morning.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25712 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 623, 624, 625, 626, 627, 628, 629 ... 643  Next