Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 627, 628, 629, 630, 631, 632, 633 ... 641  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:58 am 

Events and weights have been released for strongman Nationals.

Log clean and press 290lbs/131kg for reps in 60 seconds.

Yoke Walk 820lbs/372kg for 60’

Axle bar deadlift 600lbs/272kg for reps in 60 seconds.

Farmers walk 320lbs/145kg(each hand) 60’

Stone over bar 330lbs/150kg reps in 60 seconds

Pretty intimidating weights.☹️

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:40 am 

Those numbers are just stupidly big to me. :lol:

How do they compare to the weights you did in the state competition the other week? Or are they all different exercises? No circus DB, I see.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:47 am 

Was away for a beery weekend and got back home around 6 on Sunday. Went to the gym after 7 in a moment of inspiration to clear out the system. Went well enough, then two good sessions yesterday and this morning.

Sunday was shoulders/arms (OHP, shrugs, lat raises, narrow bench, curls, tri extensions), Monday legs (squat, front squat, sumo DL, back extensions, abs), today chest (push press, bench, incline bench).

Changed up today's session to start with push press, just felt like doing something more dynamic than all the powerlifting focused movements I've been doing for ages.Was good. Worked up to three singles at 80kg, just testing out what I can comfortably lock out overhead. Speed/power of the movement will come on with practice.
Bench was difficult afterwards, although my hips were tight from yesterday so had trouble getting clean technique.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:54 am 

I have had a crappy week or so with niggly stuff (pinched nerve, crappy ankle and other stuff aka getting old) causing issues and eating badly ie lots of bread (yummy bread but excessive amounts) - I have put on 3kg in a week!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:56 am 

I put on a few kgs since I last weighed myself last Wednesday. Burgers, chips, and pints. It'll be gone in a week. Although my lifting belt is ridiculously tight now. Obviously a lot of bloat from the alcohol and carby food. I even put a screwdriver in my kit bag in case it's too much.
DLs later in the week will be the test.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:31 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Those numbers are just stupidly big to me. :lol:

How do they compare to the weights you did in the state competition the other week? Or are they all different exercises? No circus DB, I see.

I think it’s ridiculously heavy for a amateur over 40’s competition. It’s 75lbs more on the deadlift and it’s from regular height. Farmers is 140lbs heavier. 55lbs heavier on the stone. Didn’t have Yoke at the regional competition, but that weight is f**king absurd. The log is 70lbs heavier (regional was strict press only)

Having second thoughts about going to be honest.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:38 pm 

Fùcking hell. :uhoh:
This seems more tailored towards the mutants.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:24 pm 

https://youtu.be/7cWgc4q7pxg

Very good video by Alan Thrall about what constitutes "good" squat depth.
Spoilers; it depends on your physiology, training goals, sports goals, etc. Just don't quarter squat.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:53 pm 

mr flaps wrote:

Bloody hell. Intimidating is an understatement. Good luck with that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:47 pm 

kiwinoz wrote:
mr flaps wrote:

I’m going give it a miss and do a few more regional events. I’ll have a crack at that next year.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:59 pm 

mr flaps wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:
mr flaps wrote:

I’m going give it a miss and do a few more regional events. I’ll have a crack at that next year.

I have just had a crack at those in the gym, I think I can quite honestly say my figures are quite inspiring:

Log clean and press 290lbs/131kg for reps in 60 seconds - 0 reps

Yoke Walk 820lbs/372kg for 60’ - 0m

Axle bar deadlift 600lbs/272kg for reps in 60 seconds. - 0 reps

Farmers walk 320lbs/145kg(each hand) 60’ - 0m

Stone over bar 330lbs/150kg reps in 60 seconds - 0 reps

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:08 pm 

blindcider wrote:
mr flaps wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:
mr flaps wrote:

I have just had a crack at those in the gym, I think I can quite honestly say my figures are quite inspiring:

Log clean and press 290lbs/131kg for reps in 60 seconds - 0 reps

Yoke Walk 820lbs/372kg for 60’ - 0m

Axle bar deadlift 600lbs/272kg for reps in 60 seconds. - 0 reps

Farmers walk 320lbs/145kg(each hand) 60’ - 0m

Stone over bar 330lbs/150kg reps in 60 seconds - 0 reps

😂

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:13 am 

Yesterday's DL/back session really took it out of me. Didn't go to bed early enough on Wednesday and I was like an extra from the Walking Dead by the time I left work around 7pm. Had a pizza with two tines of sasrdines mashed on top and bag of peanut MnMs for dinner and was in bed by half nine. Got more than 8 hours quality sleep.
Holy crap it feels better today and lead to a very good session.

Low bar squats and heavy benching. Managed three sets of 2 at 100kg, plus various lighter sets. Well happy with that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:14 am 

Won the 8+ D category at Reading Regatta yesterday, got to the semifinal of the 4+. The wife won her coxless four division so a happy household.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:52 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
Won the 8+ D category at Reading Regatta yesterday, got to the semifinal of the 4+. The wife won her coxless four division so a happy household.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:57 am 

ElementFreak wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

Cheers

The first heat of the 8+ was particularly satisfying as we were racing against a fairly useful Bristol Uni crew who were way too cocky for my liking on the start line, all pissing about and acting like it was a formality, we had to put the manners on them. It was a tight race but we managed to squeak home by a length. The cheeky upstarts.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:11 am 

danny_fitz wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

Cheers

The first heat of the 8+ was particularly satisfying as we were racing against a fairly useful Bristol Uni crew who were way too cocky for my liking on the start line, all pissing about and acting like it was a formality, we had to put the manners on them. It was a tight race but we managed to squeak home by a length. The cheeky upstarts.

Noice. Winning and putting manners on people is sooooo much more satisfying than just winning. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:31 am 

Nolanator wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

Cheers

Noice. Winning and putting manners on people is sooooo much more satisfying than just winning. :thumbup:

Age wise our boat is closer to 40 then 20 so it is always nice to beat the youngsters. They were all big lads averaging 6.30 ergs, but as they say, ergs don't float. One of their lads was sporting a bandanna, I simply refuse to get beaten by anyone wearing a bandanna. Same goes for the c*nt last year in a Vesta boat who had a top knot, f*ck off am I losing to a top knot.

Last edited by danny_fitz on Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:42 am 

:lol:
Faultless argument, really. I was at a tag blitz a few summers ago with a scratch team and some "touring" English team were over. Bunch of absolute knobs. Sleeveless tops, caps on backwards, started taking the piss with skillz. No look around the back passes etc.

Apparently they have tryouts for the team and train really hard, then go to events all around the place to win them.

They were very good and won the tournament, but everyone else couldn't stand them. :lol:
Dickheads.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:56 am 

Nolanator wrote:
Faultless argument, really. I was at a tag blitz a few summers ago with a scratch team and some "touring" English team were over. Bunch of absolute knobs. Sleeveless tops, caps on backwards, started taking the piss with skillz. No look around the back passes etc.

Apparently they have tryouts for the team and train really hard, then go to events all around the place to win them.

They were very good and won the tournament, but everyone else couldn't stand them. :lol:
Dickheads.

Sevens rugby seems to attract those kind of teams. Years ago I was playing in the Kinsale 7s (got murdered by Lenister academy) and there was an English side who had a few lads wearing bandannas on the rugby field. Predictably during their first game the oppo team were doing their best to rip them off their heads which was very funny.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:06 am 

Nolanator wrote:

Dickheads.

Reminds me of the Colleges plate final when I was at law school - we had a good side, but trained once a week and drank for the remainder - we lost the game by 7 points in a game that could’ve gone either way. After the game, the two changing rooms were separated by a big communal shower block, so you could see/listen-in to what the other team were upto, if you were so-inclined.

I can still picture our loosehead, cigarette hanging out of his mouth and looking more than a little confused, as he took in the other team’s post-match debrief from two coaches (including whiteboard) and rub-down from two physios while we dug out the tinnies and assigned the dick of the day shirt.

Sometimes being over-professional can make you look a bit silly!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:19 am 

Nice.

Years ago as an undergrad my club at the time entered a team into the 7s tournament being held by my university. I wasn't involved in entering the team, but ended up tagging along and ditching the afternoon of lab work to play.
We ended up getting to the final and getting shat on, but did really well up until that point, given that we actually played rugby and had skills and technique, even though we were a rabble by our own standards. We won the semi final by two points when I scored a try in the corner and our kicker nailed the drop goal conversion. I scored with a one handed reach and dot down on the line like BOD in his pomp. I never came close to anything like that again. :lol:
I subluxed my shoulder at one point when I caught a lineout and took a tackle to the armpit while my arms were still over my head.
Took an hour or so with an ice pack and a sit down while we waited for the group matches to finish up, and went at it again.

Sure enough, I properly dislocated that shoulder the following autumn. x(

Another year we got knocked out in the semi, and the prize was a slab of cans. We drank those in the sun watching the final. Was a much better prize than a trophy, IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:30 am 

Joost wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Dickheads.

Reminds me of the Colleges plate final when I was at law school - we had a good side, but trained once a week and drank for the remainder - we lost the game by 7 points in a game that could’ve gone either way. After the game, the two changing rooms were separated by a big communal shower block, so you could see/listen-in to what the other team were upto, if you were so-inclined.

I can still picture our loosehead, cigarette hanging out of his mouth and looking more than a little confused, as he took in the other team’s post-match debrief from two coaches (including whiteboard) and rub-down from two physios while we dug out the tinnies and assigned the dick of the day shirt.

Sometimes being over-professional can make you look a bit silly!

I was playing in a hockey competition many moons ago, it was more of a drinking festival then any kind of serious sporting contest, lots of teams in fancy dress nailing funnels and the like. All good fun.

Halfway through day 1 a very sleek bus with tinted windows rolls up and a team with very smart matching training gear step off followed by a coach, a physio, kit man etc. Everyone was what the f*ck and we find out it was Cannock hockey club who at the time were basically the Man U of hockey and had a few GB squad players on their side and one former Olympic gold medallist. They predictably started working their way through the competition smashing teams 14-1 and 9-0 etc, it was an absolute farce. After each game they had their warm downs and debriefs before getting back on the bus and buggering off back to their hotel while other sides were camping on site and hitting the bar. We met them in the final and by this stage everyone was cheering us on and booing Cannock every time they got the ball. We quickly went 3 nil down but managed to haul ourselves back to 3 all before they knocked in another few goals. We scored again in the last 10 mins to make it a tense end to the game as we had our tails up and they started losing their shit. We lost 5-4 and these c*nts did not even stick around and have a beer afterwards. Us setting up a black tie silver service sit down half time lunch on the astro pitch with champagne being served by pretty girls probably did not endear us to them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:04 pm 

I’ve been taking advantage of the nice weather recently and have eschewed the gym for my patio, with its pull-up bar and myriad kettlebells (quite like Dan John’s idea of training with the seasons and training outside as often as possible in the summer).

At the risk of getting all ‘I doubled my pullup PB in 4 weeks with this one weird trick’, I can heartily recommend this programme - https://www.strongfirst.com/the-fighter-pullup-program-revisited/

Maxed out at 5 when I started and am now doing sets of 9. Will test my new PB later and see where I get to (eventual aim is 15-20, hoping I can crack 12 this evening).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:22 pm 

I do get jealous of outdoor training when the sun is shining. Fecking love activity out in the fresh air and and sunshine.

Managed to get a minor neck spasm during my first working set this morning. Hooray for me.
Not too bad, I was able to finish my session, but it catches when I try and turn my head to the left. An evening of hot water bottle and lacrosse ball "therapy" awaits.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:21 pm 

Quote:
I do get jealous of outdoor training when the sun is shining. Fecking love activity out in the fresh air and and sunshine.

Take up rowing :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:36 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
Quote:

Take up rowing :D

Outdoor meathead gym is the dream.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:05 pm 

Hey BC what the hell does your jumbled alphabet mean on your strava runs?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:10 am 

Hit a log and lost our fin, made for interesting rowing back to the clubhouse!

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:26 am 

ElementFreak wrote:

It's just a reference to my training plan sessions for the Yorkshire Marathon (Hence YM). Keeping the pattern consistent so I can easily data-scrape it afterwards to see exactly how well I kept to my initial plan - Milage/paces/sessions/days

Getting a lot of questions from friends on this too, giving out lots of random answers. :lol:

So yesterdays YMTPD16S4C - 6E is a 6mile easy pace run on Day 16 of the plan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:52 am 

I thought it meant that you were running while thinking in Welsh.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:50 am 

blindcider wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:

It's just a reference to my training plan sessions for the Yorkshire Marathon (Hence YM). Keeping the pattern consistent so I can easily data-scrape it afterwards to see exactly how well I kept to my initial plan - Milage/paces/sessions/days

Getting a lot of questions from friends on this too, giving out lots of random answers. :lol:

Just out of interest - what would you suggest as a weekly/monthly base mileage that would make a marathon achievable?

And how would that be affected by doing the marathon as part of an Ironman?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:02 pm 

Armchair_Superstar wrote:
blindcider wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:

Just out of interest - what would you suggest as a weekly/monthly base mileage that would make a marathon achievable?

I am no expert as this is my first stand alone marathon but,

I reckon you want to be at least covering the 26 miles each week probably getting up near 40 when you have built the distance up of your long run. The key thing is to build up slowly to avoid injury. If you just want to run/finish a marathon then you can get away with a lot less provided you accept it is going to hurt. If you are targeting a time then you have to prepare more specifically.

You need to be cleverer when you do it as part of an Ironman - A major part of getting a decent marathon time here is getting off the bike fresh enough to run so your bike fitness needs to be on point too. I think you need to keep it to 3 run sessions a week with one longer run here with the others being brick sessions or some sort of speed/strength work. The swim and bike training unfortunately adds muscle to the areas that are as much use as tits on a bull w.r.t. running.

Plenty of training plans out there in internet world, you just have to be prepared to be flexible with them IMO. Its also important to both engage fully with the plan but also not be afraid to drop/shorten sessions and not try to make them back up if your body needs you to.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:24 pm 

Complaining about adding muscle mass.

Bastard.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:35 pm 

blindcider wrote:
blindcider wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:

I am no expert as this is my first stand alone marathon but,

I reckon you want to be at least covering the 26 miles each week probably getting up near 40 when you have built the distance up of your long run. The key thing is to build up slowly to avoid injury. If you just want to run/finish a marathon then you can get away with a lot less provided you accept it is going to hurt. If you are targeting a time then you have to prepare more specifically.

You need to be cleverer when you do it as part of an Ironman - A major part of getting a decent marathon time here is getting off the bike fresh enough to run so your bike fitness needs to be on point too. I think you need to keep it to 3 run sessions a week with one longer run here with the others being brick sessions or some sort of speed/strength work. The swim and bike training unfortunately adds muscle to the areas that are as much use as tits on a bull w.r.t. running.

Plenty of training plans out there in internet world, you just have to be prepared to be flexible with them IMO. Its also important to both engage fully with the plan but also not be afraid to drop/shorten sessions and not try to make them back up if your body needs you to.

Thanks!

I'm not that interested in competing with others, more in gradually building the capacity to complete the thing. I have about 5 or 6 bike/gym sessions a week that I really enjoy and won't be stopping. I have the time to start slowly building something else in, and running is hard to beat for convenience. It might give me a bit more incentive to swim more regularly as well and see how I can build the volume.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:39 pm 

Nolanator wrote:

Bastard.

Just hold out for your mid-thirties :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:41 pm 

Nolanator wrote:

Bastard.

Just hold out for your mid-thirties :lol:

I'm already 31. Shit. :((

Straight on to the tren-train when that happens.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:08 pm 

Nolanator wrote:

Bastard.

It wasn't a complaint just pointing out that Calf and Shoulder/Obliques muscle development is just extra weight to carry around when running. Essential for swim and bike though

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:21 pm 

blindcider wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:

No worries. I figures the 6E was 6 miles easy based on the distance, but the other stuff was almost as if you just "hacker type" like in the movies, something like this for example:

Quote:
abfvuihfgiewjabcuiaosegf78wsxb 6 miles easy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:16 am 

He's clearly a Russian spy and is communicating with his handling agent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 627, 628, 629, 630, 631, 632, 633 ... 641  Next