Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 632, 633, 634, 635, 636, 637, 638  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:39 am 

Do you squat high or low bar, NPB?

I was always under the impression that hips shooting is an issue with the posterior chain, that having your glutes take more of the load keep the hips more open throughout the movement.
Mad numbers on the squats. :thumbup:

Good pressing session this morning. Bar movement felt good.

Bench: 90 x5, 5 sets
Pin bench: 80x5, 4 sets
DB shoulder press: 22.5 x8, 3 sets
Cable TPD
Cable kickbacks
Cable facepulls
Abs/skipping circuit

Did pin bench with it set just above my chest. Fully deloaded the bar on each rep. Never done it before. Really good for power out of the bottom, obviously, but found it helped me concentrate on my technique a lot.
Was messing and did cable kickbacks for a pump, making sure to keep my upper arm behind the line of my torso. Holy shit, the burn right in a the top was intense, felt like someone stabbing me. I've clearly never really worked that head in isolation before.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:58 am 

Nolanator wrote:

I was always under the impression that hips shooting is an issue with the posterior chain, that having your glutes take more of the load keep the hips more open throughout the movement.

Cable TPD
Cable kickbacks
Cable facepulls
Abs/skipping circuit

Did pin bench with it set just above my chest. Fully deloaded the bar on each rep. Never done it before. Really good for power out of the bottom, obviously, but found it helped me concentrate on my technique a lot.
Was messing and did cable kickbacks for a pump, making sure to keep my upper arm behind the line of my torso. Holy shit, the burn right in a the top was intense, felt like someone stabbing me. I've clearly never really worked that head in isolation before.

Fnar fnar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:00 am 

Yesterday was a pulling session, with hip thrusts, two-handed and single-handed work, and curling out at the end.

Way more material.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:01 am 

:o

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:05 am 

Went to the gym as well. Waaaaaayyyyyyyyy!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:46 am 

Nolanator wrote:

Cable TPD
Cable kickbacks
Cable facepulls
Abs/skipping circuit

Low bar generally.

Without being too boring and technical ( it’s just squatting). I feel like my posterior chain is much stronger than my quads. When I struggle my body defaults to its strongest position, which causes a “good morning” squat if that makes sense.

I’m open to ideas but just read weaker quads cause the issue. Might work on them for a while and then look at something else.

How did you shoulders feel after pin bench? I hear it can cause some irritation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:56 am 

newportblue wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Low bar generally.

Without being too boring and technical ( it’s just squatting). I feel like my posterior chain is much stronger than my quads. When I struggle my body defaults to its strongest position, which causes a “good morning” squat if that makes sense.

I’m open to ideas but just read weaker quads cause the issue. Might work on them for a while and then look at something else.

How did you shoulders feel after pin bench? I hear it can cause some irritation

I know exactly what you mean. I call it the stripper squat.
I get you. You're used to the flatter torso posture, so you revert to that when you struggle. There's definitely way less quad activation that way.

For me it's different. I squat high bar but have issues with my left hip not driving as hard. So I kick my hips to the right and drive off my right side, which is way more powerful. It stems from the glutes, from what I can tell. When I do exercises which should isolate the glutes like SL hip thrusts or low step ups, I can feel my right glute working well, but on my left side the hammies and quads take over where they can. It's more a mind muscle connection thing than anything.
When I get it right on a heavy squat, the bar flies up without shifting sideways or my back flattening.

Pin bench was fine. I exaggerated the elbows beyond the bar a bit and squeezed everything in my back really hard. Meant my shoulders stayed open and I didn't shift to an uncomfortable position. Having that split second where I deloaded at the bottom of each rep gave me a chance to re-brace everything when I felt my form slip as the fatigue built up.

Re quad isolation; recently I've been doing narrow stance squats with my heels elevated as assistance on my squat day. Ridiculous quad work. First time I did it they were sore for 5 days.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:21 pm 

It’s interesting how we develop these imbalances isn’t it? I would imagine my stronger posterior chain generally comes from doing lots of powerlifting movements and neglecting the quads. Get so hooked on numbers.

I did those narrow stance squats... killed me. I will go back to them at some point.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:31 pm 

I've got a slight impingement at the front of my left hip. If I squeeze my glutes hard and focus on externally rotating my hip, I can feel a pinch deep down. Probably just one of the those not-quite-injuries that everyone has, but you only notice when you put it through extreme stress/activity. I'd say it'a labrum or capsule issue.
I think that probably lead to a slight movement dysfunction over the years, which has also affected how the muscles around it work. I had a groin issue there a few years ago which spread into a lower back spasm, couldn't do big lower body movements for about 6 months. That groin is still not as strong as my right side.

Now at least I'm aware of it and do loads of banded mobilisations at the start of each session which loosens everything up and gets it all moving better.

Just one of those things that I've to spend an extra few minutes on if I want to squat deep and heavy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:33 pm 

Nobody died from sunstroke on their daft amounts or exercise in the sun today?

Bank holiday squat session followed by food and a mid afternoon nap today. Perfect.

Worked up to 145. Got one, bailed on the second. Lost my hip shape, probably should have had it.

https://imgur.com/a/arCthrq

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:52 pm 

It was a close run thing. Finished in 11th place overall which was ace. Never seen a race with so many people walking.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:18 pm 

Missed a 105kg bench by a whisker this morning. Should have had it, would have on another day. Was banging out singles at 102.5 fine. Heavy, but form was good and the bar was fast.
Followed up with reps at lower weights, and then pin press.

Was wearing a stringer and I was sliding around on the bench by the end, far too sweaty. Tried chalking up the bench, but it did nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:00 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Missed a 105kg bench by a whisker this morning. Should have had it, would have on another day. Was banging out singles at 102.5 fine. Heavy, but form was good and the bar was fast.

Was wearing a stringer and I was sliding around on the bench by the end, far too sweaty. Tried chalking up the bench, but it did nothing.

Nice-sch!

As we’re talking pressing and you’re a strong lad and roughly a similar size/shape to me, how realistic do you reckon pressing a 48kg KB overhead would be for you?

It’s the next standard on my list and seems a long way off at the moment - wondering whether it’s even worth aiming for. The next standard up is bodyweight bench x 15 reps (which somehow seems more achievable!)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:02 pm 

Tried coastal rowing for the first time over the weekend down Swanage way in Dorset. Did 17km in a single on Saturday and another 17km on Sunday. It's fecking ace.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:06 pm 

Joost wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Nice-sch!

As we’re talking pressing and you’re a strong lad and roughly a similar size/shape to me, how realistic do you reckon pressing a 48kg KB overhead would be for you?

It’s the next standard on my list and seems a long way off at the moment - wondering whether it’s even worth aiming for. The next standard up is bodyweight bench x 15 reps (which somehow seems more achievable!)

Ooh. Not happening. That's fierce heavy. I can strict/military press 72.5, that KB is way over half of that. Granted, I never train unilateral OH work, so I guess some focus on that would improve it.

Is it a strict KB press, or a push press type explosive movement?

I think Bobbity posted those standards here a while ago? Can you throw them up again? They seemed a bit all over the shop. Some stuff that I can do fine, and then a massive jump to the next one. As if their should really be a milestone between them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:07 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
Tried coastal rowing for the first time over the weekend down Swanage way in Dorset. Did 17km in a single on Saturday and another 17km on Sunday. It's fecking ace.

Saw that. Impressive stuff. How were the conditions? Choppy/windy at all?

I was happy with my Saturday morning parkrun and then saw you rowing all that, and BS running 50-something km. Both in ridiculous heat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:11 pm 

Anyone here into Wild Swimming? Thought it could be a fun activity every now and again and a good chance to get out of London.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:18 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

Saw that. Impressive stuff. How were the conditions? Choppy/windy at all?

I was happy with my Saturday morning parkrun and then saw you rowing all that, and BS running 50-something km. Both in ridiculous heat.

By coastal rowing standards it was pretty flat, there were a few choppy sections when local currents converged around headlands but the boats are pretty forgiving and stable. It was actually pretty cool temperature wise on the coast, perfect conditions really. Stunning bit of coastline. Might have to add a few coastal events to my regatta calendar next year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:30 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Joost wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Nice-sch!

Ooh. Not happening. That's fierce heavy. I can strict/military press 72.5, that KB is way over half of that. Granted, I never train unilateral OH work, so I guess some focus on that would improve it.

Is it a strict KB press, or a push press type explosive movement?

I think Bobbity posted those standards here a while ago? Can you throw them up again? They seemed a bit all over the shop. Some stuff that I can do fine, and then a massive jump to the next one. As if their should really be a milestone between them.

These ones (I’m aiming for 6s across the board, which I think is realistic and am already there or there abouts with all of them apart from the press):

Spoiler: show
Men’s Standards
Squat Movement

1. Proper Form in the Goblet Squat
2. Goblet Squat: 24K x 10
3. Double KB Front Squat: 32K x 10
4. Bodyweight Back Squat
5. Bodyweight Front Squat
6. Bodyweight Back Squat x 15
7. Bodyweight Overhead Squat x 15

Press Movement
1. Push Ups x 10
2. One Arm KB Press: 24K x 5 per Side
3. Double KB Press: 32K x 5
4. Bench Press: Bodyweight
5. One Arm Overhead Press: ½ Bodyweight
6. Bench Press: Bodyweight x 15
7. Two Arm KB Press: Bodyweight

Hip Hinge Movement

1. Hip Hinge with Proper Form (From stand, floor and loaded)
2. Kettlebell Swing: 24K x 20 (Proper Form)
3. Double Kettlebell Clean: 32K x 10
4. Barbell Clean: Bodyweight
5. Barbell Deadlift: Double Bodyweight
6. Barbell Snatch: Bodyweight
7. Barbell Deadlift 2.5 x Bodyweight

Pull Movement
1. Batwings, thumbs in armpits, 16K x 10 seconds
2. Bodyweight Row on Rings/TRX x 20
3. Bodyweight Row, feet elevated, x 10
4. Chin Ups x 5
5. Pull Ups x 8-10
6. Pull Ups x 15
7. Weighted Pull Up with 48 K

A bit of side-lean is ok, but needs to be a pure press - can do a 32 for reps on both sides and 36 on the right (just), but anything more feels a long way off!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:38 pm 

Joost wrote:
These ones (I’m aiming for 6s across the board, which I think is realistic and am already there or there abouts with all of them apart from the press):

Spoiler: show
Men’s Standards
Squat Movement

1. Proper Form in the Goblet Squat
2. Goblet Squat: 24K x 10
3. Double KB Front Squat: 32K x 10
4. Bodyweight Back Squat
5. Bodyweight Front Squat
6. Bodyweight Back Squat x 15
7. Bodyweight Overhead Squat x 15

Press Movement
1. Push Ups x 10
2. One Arm KB Press: 24K x 5 per Side
3. Double KB Press: 32K x 5
4. Bench Press: Bodyweight
5. One Arm Overhead Press: ½ Bodyweight
6. Bench Press: Bodyweight x 15
7. Two Arm KB Press: Bodyweight

Hip Hinge Movement

1. Hip Hinge with Proper Form (From stand, floor and loaded)
2. Kettlebell Swing: 24K x 20 (Proper Form)
3. Double Kettlebell Clean: 32K x 10
4. Barbell Clean: Bodyweight
5. Barbell Deadlift: Double Bodyweight
6. Barbell Snatch: Bodyweight
7. Barbell Deadlift 2.5 x Bodyweight

Pull Movement
1. Batwings, thumbs in armpits, 16K x 10 seconds
2. Bodyweight Row on Rings/TRX x 20
3. Bodyweight Row, feet elevated, x 10
4. Chin Ups x 5
5. Pull Ups x 8-10
6. Pull Ups x 15
7. Weighted Pull Up with 48 K

A bit of side-lean is ok, but needs to be a pure press - can do a 32 for reps on both sides and 36 on the right (just), but anything more feels a long way off!

Yeah, there's no consistency there.
I can do no.6 for squat no bother, but have horrible shoulder and thoracic mobility, so heavy OH squats are out of the question. The jump from BWx15 to BW OHx15 is enormous. There really should be some 1.5xBW metric in there.

Can only get no.4 on press. At a guess I'd only have 7 reps in me at BW. Bench is my weakes lift, relatively, TBF.

I've almost got no.7 on hinge, but I can't do a snatch for the same reasons that I can't OH squat, never-mind BW snatch. Plus, KB cleans are explosive movements, DLs are not. There's obviously some crossover, but one doesn't lead to the other.

Can probably do no.6 on pull, haven't maxed out pull ups in ages. Definitely can do no.5. Again, the jump from BWx15 to +48kg is massive. There no coherent progression from one to the other. One is a strength stamina challenge, the other is pure strength. I can just about do a pull up with 25kg added, 48kg may as well be another 100kg.

It's silly having highly technical Olympic lifts in there. There's a huge amount of technique involved and unless you specifically train them to a high level, you're not going to hit those metrics.
The exercise selection seems very arbitrary.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:57 pm 

Here’s the full article, in-case it’s of interest: http://danjohn.net/2013/04/strength-standards-sleepless-in-seattle/

I love Dan John’s stuff - believe ODave has done a fair bit of work with him. The 7s are the minimum standards required for a top-level College thrower in track and field (DJ’s background), so well out of reach for most of us!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:06 pm 

Joost wrote:
Here’s the full article, in-case it’s of interest: http://danjohn.net/2013/04/strength-standards-sleepless-in-seattle/

I love Dan John’s stuff - believe ODave has done a fair bit of work with him. The 7s are the minimum standards required for a top-level College thrower in track and field (DJ’s background), so well out of reach for most of us!

Always thought they were a bit mixed up to be honest. Think some of them ( like the squat level 7) aren’t really strength movement.

Wouldn’t it be better to use less movements as you go up the levels?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:28 pm 

Got back from SA on Sunday and weighed myself for first time in a month. I’d put on 9kgs ffs. Bit pissed off as I’d worked so bloody hard to get down to 73 but all that good work undone in just 4 weeks. I can only assume it was all the biltong. Went for run today and was so far off my usual pace it wasn’t funny. Bit annoying as have the Glasgow half coming up and was hoping for something in the 1.30 ballpark but now think anything sub 1.45 will be an achievement.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:50 pm 

HKCJ wrote:
Got back from SA on Sunday and weighed myself for first time in a month. I’d put on 9kgs ffs. Bit pissed off as I’d worked so bloody hard to get down to 73 but all that good work undone in just 4 weeks. I can only assume it was all the biltong. Went for run today and was so far off my usual pace it wasn’t funny. Bit annoying as have the Glasgow half coming up and was hoping for something in the 1.30 ballpark but now think anything sub 1.45 will be an achievement.

Fark :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:57 pm 

newportblue wrote:
Joost wrote:

Always thought they were a bit mixed up to be honest. Think some of them ( like the squat level 7) aren’t really strength movement.

Wouldn’t it be better to use less movements as you go up the levels?

I guess you can always find a half-way house on something like the deadlift if you don’t want to try BB snatches (I have no particular inclination to learn to OH squat or Snatch - that’s for professional athletes or instagram-obsessed crossfitters who want to get injured in my book!)

I can’t help thinking the press section is out of whack with the other standards (eg 15xbw back squats is a lot easier than bench presses!), but perhaps I’m just a weak presser :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:11 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
Anyone here into Wild Swimming? Thought it could be a fun activity every now and again and a good chance to get out of London.

Yes, its brilliant. Much better than in a pool.

Just need to be a bit careful

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:53 pm 

Joost wrote:
(I have no particular inclination to learn to OH squat or Snatch - that’s for professional athletes or instagram-obsessed crossfitters who want to get injured in my book!)

I can’t help thinking the press section is out of whack with the other standards (eg 15xbw back squats is a lot easier than bench presses!), but perhaps I’m just a weak presser :(

I agree with all that!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:25 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Joost wrote:
(I have no particular inclination to learn to OH squat or Snatch - that’s for professional athletes or instagram-obsessed crossfitters who want to get injured in my book!)

I agree with all that!

I don’t even think overhead squat is a strength movement really.

I’d agree as well. It took me a lot longer to get the bwx15 on bench than it did with squat.

I’ve always done the standards of squat, bench, deadlift and overhead press in relation to body weight. Suppose it’s different if you want some more explosive movements in there. Like clean or snatch.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:05 pm 

Yeah, I'd consider fairly advanced stats to be 1.5x bench, 2x squat, 2.5x DL. Maybe 1x on OHP, but that seems tougher than the other benchmarks for me.

Having it all relative to BW focuses on strength.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:45 pm 

A big erg tonight 8)

21,100m
Rate 20
1h 32m

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:21 pm 

Tonight’s session

Bench

5x10 75

Deadlift
5x5 180

Db press
4x11 32

Single arm press (machine thing)
4x10 15

Concentration curls
4x12

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:27 pm 

Tough session this morning. Enjoyable.

DL: 190 x2, 5 sets
Hip thrusts: 180 x10, 3 sets
Seal row: 75 x6, 3 sets
Narrow LPD: 50 x15, 3 sets
Bicep triple set (EZ curls, decline DB curls, DB hammer curls)
Conditioning/core

The lat pulldown station was busy so tried my best to do it on one of the normal cable stations. The weights stack wasn't heavy enough and sitting on the floor was awkward enough.

Finished with three rounds of skipping for 1 minute, KB farmer's walks, ab rollouts. I'd love to get into proper farmer's walks with heavy weights. Heaviest KBs available are 32kg, which is grand for a quick blast, but not really challenging.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:42 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Tough session this morning. Enjoyable.

DL: 190 x2, 5 sets
Hip thrusts: 180 x10, 3 sets
Seal row: 75 x6, 3 sets
Narrow LPD: 50 x15, 3 sets
Bicep triple set (EZ curls, decline DB curls, DB hammer curls)
Conditioning/core

The lat pulldown station was busy so tried my best to do it on one of the normal cable stations. The weights stack wasn't heavy enough and sitting on the floor was awkward enough.

Finished with three rounds of skipping for 1 minute, KB farmer's walks, ab rollouts. I'd love to get into proper farmer's walks with heavy weights. Heaviest KBs available are 32kg, which is grand for a quick blast, but not really challenging.

Never really done farmers walks but would like to try.

Thinking my next gym purchase will be either some mini farmers walk handles or maybe a trap bar ( seen one with an open side, which might be good for farmers walks )

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:06 pm 

My light week for deadlift.

365x8 3 sets

Deficit deadlift 275x5 3 sets (2.75”)

Farmers walk 380 for 60’ 5 sets

Kroc rows 100x25. 100x20. 100x15

Hammer curls.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:13 pm 

I took a curvy smoking hot Swedish girl in her skin-tight workout clothes to the gym and taught her proper deadlift form.

It was one of my most fun workouts in a long time.

I lifted something much heavier than I should have of course.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:22 pm 

Do you have access to proper farmer walk handles to be shifting that kind of weight around?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:29 pm 

Speaking of farmers carries, I’d love to try some strongman type training for conditioning. Some of it looks like a lot of fun and I absolutely hate most traditional cardio.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:32 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Do you have access to proper farmer walk handles to be shifting that kind of weight around?

I bought one of these and keep it at my gym. https://www.titan.fitness/pair-of-hd-fa ... tform.html

It’s a small independent gym where I train clients so I’ve loaded it with my own strongman gear.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:46 pm 

Stevus55 wrote:
Speaking of farmers carries, I’d love to try some strongman type training for conditioning. Some of it looks like a lot of fun and I absolutely hate most traditional cardio.

Same. Since they got a prowler in my gym I've been using it a couple of times a week in mini circuits at the end of sessions. Mix it with skipping, core work, KB carries etc.
It's definitely more fun than steady cardio, and feels like it'll translate more directly into barbell lifting.

mr flaps wrote:
I bought one of these and keep it at my gym. https://www.titan.fitness/pair-of-hd-fa ... tform.html

It’s a small independent gym where I train clients so I’ve loaded it with my own strongman gear.

:thumbup: Nice.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:13 am 

Solid upper tonight

Log press 180lbsx5 5 sets

Close grip bench 275lbsx5 5 sets

Seated single arm Dumbbell press 70lbsx10 3 sets

Upper back accessories

Push downs and some hammer curls.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 632, 633, 634, 635, 636, 637, 638  Next