Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1745, 1746, 1747, 1748, 1749, 1750, 1751 ... 2160  Next

Whether you can or can't actually vote IRL, In, or Out
In 60%  60%  [ 247 ]
Out 40%  40%  [ 166 ]
Total votes : 413
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm
Posts: 13506
https://twitter.com/RobDotHutton/status/1006277177988538368

:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm
Posts: 13506
Rugby2023 wrote:
Quote:
@profsked

Britain remained the most favoured location in Europe for foreign investments in 2017 according to the German financial newspaper Handelsblatt. In an item which started ‘Benefits of Brexit?’ It reported that Britain attracted 1,205 projects, Germany 1,124 and France 1,019.

Define project.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm
Posts: 13506
Image

:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14491
bimboman wrote:
sewa wrote:
Bimboman care to explain to us what exactly these market analysts do all day if an expert like you is driving trucks? Why aren't you in replacing the lot of the lasy bastards



You're thick; it would take me a life time to explain what a truck driver does let alone a city analyst.


Just to reapeat you dismissed a report where the city analysts missed their projections by a country mile using the reasoning there was some snow that everyone knew about and a holiday called Easter no one could have predicted :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keep on trucking city boy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 42869
paddyor wrote:
Image

:lol:

Ah, those sunlit uplands at last !

:lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm
Posts: 13506
camroc1 wrote:
paddyor wrote:

:lol:

Ah, those sunlit uplands at last !

:lol: :lol:

Featuring Nessy

Image

:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 42869
paddyor wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
paddyor wrote:

:lol:

Ah, those sunlit uplands at last !

:lol: :lol:

Featuring Nessy

Image

:lol:

And a London Routemaster Bus the last of which was retired in 2004. I'm surprised they didn't get any Spitfires into the montage !

:lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14491
paddyor wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
paddyor wrote:

:lol:

Ah, those sunlit uplands at last !

:lol: :lol:

Featuring Nessy

Image

:lol:


Brilliant, I didn't even see that :lol: :lol: :lol:

The lads in the Sun are sharp as fook, they must have some laugh taking the utter pish out of their readers


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5614
camroc1 wrote:
paddyor wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
paddyor wrote:

:lol:

Ah, those sunlit uplands at last !

:lol: :lol:

Featuring Nessy

Image

:lol:

And a London Routemaster Bus the last of which was retired in 2004. I'm surprised they didn't get any Spitfires into the montage !

:lol: :lol:

Look closer.....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 53068
sewa wrote:
bimboman wrote:
sewa wrote:
Bimboman care to explain to us what exactly these market analysts do all day if an expert like you is driving trucks? Why aren't you in replacing the lot of the lasy bastards



You're thick; it would take me a life time to explain what a truck driver does let alone a city analyst.


Just to reapeat you dismissed a report where the city analysts missed their projections by a country mile using the reasoning there was some snow that everyone knew about and a holiday called Easter no one could have predicted :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keep on trucking city boy



Which city analysts ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:44 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27856
It is a quite brilliant effort that tries to tap into the Brits love of humour and self depreciation. Probably a bit of overkill having the Causeway actually on the island though. Tbf the Prods #stupid ones will lap it up

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 42869
feckwanker wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
paddyor wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
paddyor wrote:

:lol:

Ah, those sunlit uplands at last !

:lol: :lol:

Featuring Nessy

Image

:lol:

And a London Routemaster Bus the last of which was retired in 2004. I'm surprised they didn't get any Spitfires into the montage !

:lol: :lol:

Look closer.....

Jesus, I missed that !

:lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14491
bimboman wrote:
sewa wrote:
bimboman wrote:
sewa wrote:
Bimboman care to explain to us what exactly these market analysts do all day if an expert like you is driving trucks? Why aren't you in replacing the lot of the lasy bastards



You're thick; it would take me a life time to explain what a truck driver does let alone a city analyst.


Just to reapeat you dismissed a report where the city analysts missed their projections by a country mile using the reasoning there was some snow that everyone knew about and a holiday called Easter no one could have predicted :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keep on trucking city boy



Which city analysts ?


Its in Jakes post on the previous page. The one you dismissed with they didn't anticipate Easter (major surprise that)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 53068
Again I did no such thing. You're a liar and thick.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:34 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27856
We are now moving into Post-Bimbo territory. God bless bimbo...God bless


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25935
I'm cheering for great betrayal.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25507
Location: Gypsy Jack Nowell
That’s progress, yesterday we were going to starve, today we’re laughing at the Sun.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25507
Location: Gypsy Jack Nowell
SamShark wrote:
I'm cheering for great betrayal.


You’re in good company.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16277
paddyor wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
paddyor wrote:

:lol:

Ah, those sunlit uplands at last !

:lol: :lol:

Featuring Nessy

Image

:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:thumbup:

Just as rooted in reality.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11438
bimboman wrote:
Again I did no such thing. You're a liar and thick.


Of the liar.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 42869
Tin-Tin is in lyrical form this morning.

Quote:
Fintan O'Toole: Brexit traps the DUP inside the Wicker Man
Subscriber only
Boris Johnson’s outburst reminds us that Brexit is an English nationalist project – it cannot allow the English bulldog to be wagged by an Irish tail
about 4 hours ago

Fintan O'Toole

4

Foreign secretary Boris Johnson: “We’re allowing the whole of our agenda to be dictated by this folly.” Photograph: Getty Images

What’s the best cinematic version of Brexit? I’ve previously suggested the final sequence of The Italian Job, where the truck is suspended half way over a ravine and the crew can’t get at their great pile of gold bars without tipping themselves into the abyss. But from an Irish point of view, we probably need a double bill in which it is shown alongside another British classic from the same era, The Wicker Man. Some horror fans have already noted the prescience of Summerisle, where most of the film is set. It is an Atlantic island that has cut itself off from the mainland and adopted a crazy cult. The cult is led by Lord Summerisle, a man with a self-consciously orotund vocabulary, mad hair and a great line in sacrificing the young generation for his bonkers beliefs – Christopher Lee as Boris Johnson, in other words.

But the most interesting parallel is the arrival on Summerisle of Edward Woodward’s Sergeant Neil Howie, innocently intent on doing his duty of investigating a suspected murder. He thinks of himself as embodying the majesty of the British state. He is upright. He is judgmental. He is righteous. And he is very devoutly Presbyterian, possibly even of the Wee Free variety. He is, of course, the Democratic Unionist Party. Howie becomes increasingly aware that he has no idea where he really is, that he has taken a one-way trip to a place with its own fatal laws. Lord Summerisle eventually summons him to his horrible death: “We confer upon you a rare gift, these days – a martyr’s death. You will not only have life eternal, but you will sit with the saints among the elect. Come!”



A 500km-long border barrier with turnstiles that open when we brush our passports against the 'gizmo'?
It is true that Lord Boris did not say these words in that private dinner with Tory diehards last week. But what he says on the recording leaked to Buzzfeed places Irish unionism right inside the giant Wicker Man with the torches just about to touch the kindling. It is not so much the idiocy of Johnson’s repeated belief that an international border is just like moving around London, though having previously compared the Irish frontier to passing from one London borough to another, he now compared it to travelling on the Tube: “You know, when I was mayor of London … I could tell where you all were just when you swiped your Oyster card over a Tube terminal, a Tube gizmo. The idea that we can’t track movement of goods, it’s just nonsense.”




"It is true that Lord Boris did not say these words in that private dinner with Tory diehards last week. But what he says on the recording leaked to Buzzfeed places Irish unionism right inside the giant Wicker Man with the torches just about to touch the kindling."
‘This folly’
Fatuous as these comparisons are (a 500km-long border barrier with turnstiles that open when we brush our passports against the “gizmo”?), the real point is what came next, the hissy fit about this whole bloody Irish border business: “It’s so small and there are so few firms that actually use that Border regularly, it’s just beyond belief that we’re allowing the tail to wag the dog in this way. We’re allowing the whole of our agenda to be dictated by this folly.” Infantile as this is, it expresses a kind of truth – one that is not yet spoken in public but soon will be. The truth is that the Brexiteers don’t give a flying frig for Ireland, North or South – and that includes Irish unionism and the DUP.

The DUP has gone one further than poor Sergeant Howie and helped to construct the wicker cage in which unionism will be torched
Johnson and his chums ignored Northern Ireland in their Brexit campaign. That seemed to be the ultimate height of irresponsibility but they have now gone further – they are exploiting it. Their current strategy is to use the EU’s offer of a special deal for Northern Ireland, preserving many of the advantages of the single market even while leaving it, as an opening through which they can force the EU to concede the same have cake/eat cake privileges to Britain. They are trying to turn the sympathy that comes from a horrible conflict, in which nearly 2 per cent of the population was killed or injured, into a way of getting one over on Michel Barnier. This is political depravity.

The Brexit balloon
But it won’t work and when it doesn’t, the rage that Johnson uttered in private will become more open and explicit. The Brexit balloon is supposed to soar into the skies when it cuts the ropes that bind it to Brussels. But its occupants are realising that there is another rope that keeps them earthbound – the one that ties them to Newry and Strabane. To salvage their fantasies, they will cut that rope too. Brexit is an English nationalist project – it cannot allow the English bulldog to be wagged by an Irish tail. If the tail has to be cut off – sorry but pass the shears old man.

The DUP thinks it’s the dog of course, but it’s not. To the Brexit believers, we are all part of the same Irish “folly”. The DUP has gone one further than poor Sergeant Howie and helped to construct the wicker cage in which unionism will be torched to appease the gods of Brexit. It could still save itself by voting with the opposition when the EU Withdrawal Bill returns to the House of Commons today. Or it can murmur ecstatically Kipling’s Ulster 1912: “We are the sacrifice.”


https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fint ... -1.3526939


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:54 pm
Posts: 3218
One Tory has resigned from his ministerial post to vote against the government already. Dr Phillip Lee whoever he is.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 53068
Of course it's the tail wagging the dog. 3 billion in total turnover is an irrelevance.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1896
Location: Dublin
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-44453540

Quote:
Justice Minister Phillip Lee has quit the government over its approach to Brexit.

Mr Lee accused the government of trying to "limit" Parliament's role in shaping the UK's departure from the EU.

He said Brexit as it was currently being pursued would damage businesses in his Bracknell constituency.

Brexit is "complex than was ever envisaged" and he could not support "how our country's exit from the EU looks set to be delivered", he added.

Mr Lee, who supported Remain in the 2016 EU referendum, has previously warned about the economic impact of Brexit.

In January he said forecasts of an economic hit raised "serious questions" about leaving the EU.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 53068
I like haggis wrote:
One Tory has resigned from his ministerial post to vote against the government already. Dr Phillip Lee whoever he is.



Will he though?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16473
Location: #68
bimboman wrote:
Of course it's the tail wagging the dog. 3 billion in total turnover is an irrelevance.


How?

You make promises, you keep them.

It’s all important for democracy apparently.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 53068
Blackrock Bullet wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Of course it's the tail wagging the dog. 3 billion in total turnover is an irrelevance.


How?

You make promises, you keep them.

It’s all important for democracy apparently.



Because the promise that we won't have a hard border our side is more than enough. The rest is a nonsense designed to keep,the U.K. In the customs union.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:54 pm
Posts: 3218
bimboman wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
One Tory has resigned from his ministerial post to vote against the government already. Dr Phillip Lee whoever he is.



Will he though?


Wouldn't make sense for him to resign and have a go at the govt if he was planning to vote with them now would it bimbo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 53068
I like haggis wrote:
bimboman wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
One Tory has resigned from his ministerial post to vote against the government already. Dr Phillip Lee whoever he is.



Will he though?


Wouldn't make sense for him to resign and have a go at the govt if he was planning to vote with them now would it bimbo



Abstaining is another option and important mathematically. So which is it Haggis which is it. ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1896
Location: Dublin
bimboman wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
bimboman wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
One Tory has resigned from his ministerial post to vote against the government already. Dr Phillip Lee whoever he is.



Will he though?


Wouldn't make sense for him to resign and have a go at the govt if he was planning to vote with them now would it bimbo



Abstaining is another option and important mathematically. So which is it Haggis which is it. ?


He seems to say in his resignation letter he will "support the amendment":

Quote:
It is important that individual ministers and Parliamentarians should be able to influence and speak up on these issues. But effective Government in our country also relies on the important principle of collective responsibility. Resigning my post in this Government will allow me to work towards what I believe can be a better future, inside or outside the EU, for my children, my constituents and my country.

That will start today when MPs vote on the House of Lords’ amendments to the EU Withdrawal Bill and I will support the amendment which – if it is adopted – will empower Parliament to reject a bad deal and direct the Government to re-enter discussions, extending or pausing negotiations which are being badly rushed because of the deadline that Article 50 imposes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 53068
Fair play. It's sad he's in a safe seat though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 42869
Blackrock Bullet wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Of course it's the tail wagging the dog. 3 billion in total turnover is an irrelevance.


How?

You make promises, you keep them.

It’s all important for democracy apparently.

Bimbo, and Boris, appear to have forgotten that whatever about NI, Ireland does not form part of the dog that is the UK.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16097
bimboman wrote:
Fair play. It's sad he's in a safe seat though.


did his constituency vote leave or remain?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16693
Location: West of Londinium
nardol wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Fair play. It's sad he's in a safe seat though.


did his constituency vote leave or remain?

Bracknell voted to leave - which is something of a surprise given Reading and Wokingham voted to remain.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14491
Nice tag line in the Guardian. Britain was inside with a load of opt outs, now it wants to be outside with a load of opt ins. Utterly delusional


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4499
I think it's safe to say that Brexiters are now at the point where they're more worried about justifying their stupidity in voting over any interest the absolute reality of the disaster that's unfolding.

It's quite frightening how bad things are and how worse they'll become.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 42869
sewa wrote:
Nice tag line in the Guardian. Britain was inside with a load of opt outs, now it wants to be outside with a load of opt ins. Utterly delusional

Originally said by the Luxembourg PM, I believe.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 53068
Jake wrote:
I think it's safe to say that Brexiters are now at the point where they're more worried about justifying their stupidity in voting over any interest the absolute reality of the disaster that's unfolding.

It's quite frightening how bad things are and how worse they'll become.



That's been completely deliberate post the vote. Mays a remainer.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 53068
camroc1 wrote:
sewa wrote:
Nice tag line in the Guardian. Britain was inside with a load of opt outs, now it wants to be outside with a load of opt ins. Utterly delusional

Originally said by the Luxembourg PM, I believe.



Which we are still pretending is a country. :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 42869
bimboman wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
sewa wrote:
Nice tag line in the Guardian. Britain was inside with a load of opt outs, now it wants to be outside with a load of opt ins. Utterly delusional

Originally said by the Luxembourg PM, I believe.



Which we are still pretending is a country. :thumbup:


The CIA say it is, and that's good enough for me.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... os/lu.html


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1745, 1746, 1747, 1748, 1749, 1750, 1751 ... 2160  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bobcock, charltom, David990, Edinburgh01, EverReady, Google Adsense [Bot], happyhooker, iarmhiman, jdogscoop, Laurent, ovalball, penguin, Red Revolution, Risteard, SEAsianExpat, swc, ZappaMan and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group