Chat Forum
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 2:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68954 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1694, 1695, 1696, 1697, 1698, 1699, 1700 ... 1724  Next

Whether you can or can't actually vote IRL, In, or Out
In 60%  60%  [ 236 ]
Out 40%  40%  [ 155 ]
Total votes : 391
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:15 am 

Already starting to sell the family jewelries I see. It has not even started yet!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:16 am 

camroc1 wrote:
Barnier tells the UK to put up or shut up.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_SP ... 511_en.htm

Quote:
will require adequate enforcement and dispute settlement mechanisms

Interesting that bit- adequate doesn’t mean European court.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:18 am 

bimboman wrote:
Calculus wrote:
Gospel wrote:
Of course not. We sell more to the ROW year on year than we do to the EU. I don't know how much that extends to other member states. I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar stat for the more evolved economies.

thought this was quite interresting when it comes to calculating those trade figures.

https://news.sky.com/story/revealed-how ... s-11057545

2% is considerable.

Quote:
In July alone, the latest month for which trade figures exist, gold accounted for more than a tenth of the value of everything exported by the UK overseas - making it Britain's top export above cars, engines and pharmaceuticals.

In the fourth quarter of last year, a sharp outflow of gold showed up as a sudden spike in exports, causing some economists to conclude that Britain's manufacturers were starting to benefit from a post-Brexit jump in confidence.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:24 am 

bimboman wrote:
Calculus wrote:
Gospel wrote:
Of course not. We sell more to the ROW year on year than we do to the EU. I don't know how much that extends to other member states. I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar stat for the more evolved economies.

thought this was quite interresting when it comes to calculating those trade figures.

2% is considerable.

Yeah, massive

Will of the people
, innit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:45 am 

goose81 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
goose81 wrote:
@gospel whatever about the trade deals, how do you think you will get a better deal with a population of 80 m or whatever it is v the EU doing deals with these countries with 500m population? You'll get the deals done but they will be worse than the deals you would have had with them if in the EU..

This isn't remarkably stupid post regarding trade deals. 200 million of those 500 are poor and an irrelevance in terms of much of the trade that is important.

Trade is reciprocal ..... You get this right ?

Currently there's one signed EU trade deal.

It's potential market, potential for cheap fdi jobs etc. God speed on your negotiating but I think you are going to be bent over. The US won't even do a deal until you put the NHS on the table

Quite. Watch the red line mentality vanish.

Theresa: Donald, we've noticed we run a decent surplus in trading with the USA. Anything you can do to help?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:01 am 

Rinkals wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Calculus wrote:
Gospel wrote:

2% is considerable.

Quote:
In July alone, the latest month for which trade figures exist, gold accounted for more than a tenth of the value of everything exported by the UK overseas - making it Britain's top export above cars, engines and pharmaceuticals.

In the fourth quarter of last year, a sharp outflow of gold showed up as a sudden spike in exports, causing some economists to conclude that Britain's manufacturers were starting to benefit from a post-Brexit jump in confidence.

Yeah they cherry picked. Though cars are still well down, we export 15-16 billion of gold annually out of 300 billion. You should have read the long article.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:14 am 

bimboman wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Calculus wrote:
Gospel wrote:

2% is considerable.

Quote:

Yeah they cherry picked. Though cars are still well down, we export 15-16 billion of gold annually out of 300 billion. You should have read the long article.

Christ.

I was responding to your claim that 2% is not significant.

2% probably isn't all that significant (see Shereblue's post above), but it's the use of misleading statistics to propel your argument that I was trying to draw attention to.

But you knew that already, didn't you, you dishonest f*ck.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:16 am 

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:31 am 

Zico wrote:
The problem with giving a balanced platform on Brexit is that you end up giving equal standing to the outright lies and fairytales from the Brexiters. The BBC doesn't do enough to call them out on the lies and so a lot people will then think they might actually be true. They don't give airtime to Russian propaganda without making clear it's complete bullshit.

Given their propaganda during the referendum and the fact none of their predictions post the vote and triggering article 50 then shouldn't this point be equally applied to Remainers?

Oh and as it's been measured the BBC do not give equal airtime to brexiters as they do remainers. Just about all news shows have had more Remainer guests than pro-Brexit ones and they have given more emphasis to connecting negative economic news to Brexit #despitebrexit then the more frequent good news of the economy to Brexit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:42 am 

1. I doubt that.

2. Its not the BBC's fault that there are maybe 4 articulate Brexiteers on the whole of the UK.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:25 am 

The numbers I used came from this notorious Brexit cheerleader mouthpiece: https://fullfact.org/europe/uk-eu-trade/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:38 am 

nardol wrote:
1. I doubt that.

2. Its not the BBC's fault that there are maybe 4 articulate Brexiteers on the whole of the UK.

The BBC have been flailing since the referendum result because the last thing they expected to happen was for the UK to vote to leave and it's been said that many in the organisation feel responsible because they provided balance where they should have challenged Brexiteers more on the key issues. :|

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:03 pm 

Gospel wrote:
nardol wrote:
1. I doubt that.

The BBC have been flailing since the referendum result because the last thing they expected to happen was for the UK to vote to leave and it's been said that many in the organisation feel responsible because they provided balance where they should have challenged Brexiteers more on the key issues. :|

The question is I wonder is how much does the media influence public opinion? If it's got such an impact why would Corbyn have such a foothold last election? Why has Brexit opinion not changed despite a savage 18 month campaign against it? I rather suspect the media over state their influence. I also rather suspect, and have always claimed this, Britain always had a good chance of voting out due to a passionate working class voice up north and urban media types and politicians and chattering classes in London have no idea.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:07 pm 

So whats the latest over in Pigdogland

May facing down the brokenteers to save the UK with a Customs Union deal or not?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:34 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
Gospel wrote:
nardol wrote:
1. I doubt that.

The question is I wonder is how much does the media influence public opinion? If it's got such an impact why would Corbyn have such a foothold last election? Why has Brexit opinion not changed despite a savage 18 month campaign against it? I rather suspect the media over state their influence. I also rather suspect, and have always claimed this, Britain always had a good chance of voting out due to a passionate working class voice up north and urban media types and politicians and chattering classes in London have no idea.

I think what you're trying to say is that the average British voter prefers to be uninformed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:43 pm 

Rinkals wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Gospel wrote:
nardol wrote:
1. I doubt that.

I think what you're trying to say is that the average British voter prefers to be uninformed.

Lots of people during the referendum complained they didn't know what the right choice was, what the actual details of the argument were. I don't recall many people running around making sure they'd read and understood the various European treaties though, and of course it was impossible to scrutinise the leave campaign as it was pie in the sky gibberish.

That people aren't going to spend time trawling through treaties and whatnot is why referendums are a bad idea, if every voter was informed on every issue you could start to function less with a representative parliament but it's just not the case.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:46 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
So whats the latest over in Pigdogland

May facing down the brokenteers to save the UK with a Customs Union deal or not?

Brexiteers want both free trade and protectionist policies. We can get trade deals with everyone without any compromises from ourselves. We won't know what we will get until we get it which is in the capable hands of theresa may, DD and Liam Fox.

We shouldn't point out that approaching 2 years later and a lot of money spent we don't really know what we heading for but what we really want is a chocolate cake, fruit cake and a delightful sponge but are likely to be served a shit fudge cake because the remain campaign which was shit said something stupid to counter some other bullshit from the other side in the slurry pool of shit that is UK politics.

Listening to theresa may on brexit is like listening to corporate bullshit that makes me want to be disruptive and take the piss. Next we are going to learn our brexit policy is extremely granular and organically growing while we negotiate to reach a synergy with the EU.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:52 pm 

Petej wrote:
Listening to theresa may on brexit is like listening to corporate bullshit that makes me want to be disruptive and take the piss. Next we are going to learn our brexit policy is extremely granular and organically growing while we negotiate to reach a synergy with the EU.

That's depressingly spot on. We all know she's just treading water because there's no compromise to be had in either her cabinet or elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:55 pm 

piquant wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Gospel wrote:
nardol wrote:
1. I doubt that.

Lots of people during the referendum complained they didn't know what the right choice was, what the actual details of the argument were. I don't recall many people running around making sure they'd read and understood the various European treaties though, and of course it was impossible to scrutinise the leave campaign as it was pie in the sky gibberish.

That people aren't going to spend time trawling through treaties and whatnot is why referendums are a bad idea, if every voter was informed on every issue you could start to function less with a representative parliament but it's just not the case.

It's been said many times before on this thread but the vast majority of the British public have never really understood what the ECSC/EEC/EU was about because they were never told.
Not by politicians, not by business leaders, not by the media and not in schools or universities...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:58 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
Gospel wrote:
nardol wrote:
1. I doubt that.

According to YouGov 80% of the public had already decided which way to vote before the campaigning began. Given the dominant motivation behind the vote to leave was a return of sovereignty the detail was never really in play. Try telling a passionate scots nationalist he'll be poorer out of the Union - he won't give a flying fuck. The EU has never captured the hearts and minds of the UK public in the way it has for those on the continent which is not to blame the bloc but more a case of the cynicism and lack of democratic transparency from our own politicians.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:00 pm 

clementinfrance wrote:
It's been said many times before on this thread but the vast majority of the British public have never really understood what the ECSC/EEC/EU was about because they were never told.
Not by politicians, not by business leaders, not by the media and not in schools or universities...

They know it's a trading bloc that's grown beyond it's remit and wants to be a superstate. It's the over reach that has got people's backs up and the fact we were denied a say for multiple treaties.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:05 pm 

Gospel wrote:
clementinfrance wrote:

They know it's a trading bloc that's grown beyond it's remit and wants to be a superstate. It's the over reach that has got people's backs up and the fact we were denied a say for multiple treaties.

How so?

Your post illustrates Clement's point.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:06 pm 

clementinfrance wrote:
piquant wrote:

Very true, the amount of nonsense spouted and accepted about what the EU could so was shameful, both on those making so many false claims and the gullibility of those accepting the claims.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:10 pm 

La soule wrote:
Gospel wrote:
clementinfrance wrote:

How so?

:)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:30 pm 

piquant wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Gospel wrote:
nardol wrote:
1. I doubt that.

Yes, but isn't it inevitable that the moment you start to become informed you lose your objectivity?

Anyone who knows what they're are talking about is tainted by that knowledge and therefore cannot be trusted to be objective.

Therefore, the only people whose opinion one can trust are the hopelessly uninformed. Ergo, the MSM is untrustworthy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:52 pm 

La soule wrote:
Gospel wrote:
clementinfrance wrote:

How so?

The UK public were not consulted over Nice, Maastrict or Lisbon which fundamentally changed the UK's relationship with the bloc.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:59 pm 

piquant wrote:
Very true, the amount of nonsense spouted and accepted about what the EU could so was shameful, both on those making so many false claims and the gullibility of those accepting the claims.

If this is true then how come after two years of blanket coverage of the UK's intimate relationship with the EU has the leave vote remained the same? Why can't you understand as I have that leave voters just want out of the bloc regardless. Personally speaking I've moved from being fairly ambivalent about membership to a reluctant leaver on account of what I have learned and observed in the last 24 months.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:02 pm 

Gospel wrote:
La soule wrote:
Gospel wrote:
clementinfrance wrote:

How so?

The UK public were not consulted over Nice, Maastrict or Lisbon which fundamentally changed the UK's relationship with the bloc.

OK. Those were "just" further steps in the European project though so Clement's point still stands.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:03 pm 

Gospel wrote:
piquant wrote:

If this is true then how come after two years of blanket coverage of the UK's intimate relationship with the EU has the leave vote remained the same? Why can't you understand as I have that leave voters just want out of the bloc regardless. Personally speaking I've moved from being fairly ambivalent about membership to a reluctant leaver on account of what I have learned and observed in the last 24 months.

You are blaming the evil EU for holding its ground, right?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:05 pm 

Gospel wrote:
La soule wrote:
Gospel wrote:
clementinfrance wrote:

How so?

Yet the govts/parties in charge at the time of signature of the Maastricht and Nice treaties were re-elected by the British electorate.

So the UK public did have its say...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:07 pm 

Gospel wrote:
piquant wrote:

I suspect the balance don't want out regardless, they want out and more jobs and more money which will not result, they want out and no further payments into the EU which they'll likely not get, they want out and less immigration and so the outcome of a trade agreement with India and others could well annoy them. Maybe if they're pushed on all the gaps between their expectations and what's far more likely to result they'll declare 'stuff it I just want out anyway' but at that point you'd know you were listening to a moron

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:09 pm 

clementinfrance wrote:
Gospel wrote:
La soule wrote:
Gospel wrote:
clementinfrance wrote:

How so?

Yet the govts/parties in charge at the time of signature of the Maastricht and Nice treaties were re-elected by the British electorate.

None of the parties in the HoC were advocating a referendum. So the UK public had no opportunity to "have its say".

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:11 pm 

La soule wrote:
Gospel wrote:
La soule wrote:
Gospel wrote:
clementinfrance wrote:

How so?

OK. Those were "just" further steps in the European project though so Clement's point still stands.

For the majority of the UK public they were getting more Europe than they voted for. Why is that so hard to understand?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:19 pm 

Tony Blair's Therapist wrote:
clementinfrance wrote:

None of the parties in the HoC were advocating a referendum. So the UK public had no opportunity to "have its say".

When voting for a party or MP you have a load of binary choices to make.

One of those choices is Pro-EU MP or Anti-EU MP.

Unless there was literally zero anti-EU MP's during the elections following the signature of these treaties then actually yes the Brtitsh public did have its say...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:20 pm 

Quite bizarre how certain posters think they speak for everyone who voted for leave.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:21 pm 

piquant wrote:
Gospel wrote:
piquant wrote:

I suspect the balance don't want out regardless, they want out and more jobs and more money which will not result, they want out and no further payments into the EU which they'll likely not get, they want out and less immigration and so the outcome of a trade agreement with India and others could well annoy them. Maybe if they're pushed on all the gaps between their expectations and what's far more likely to result they'll declare 'stuff it I just want out anyway' but at that point you'd know you were listening to a moron

Poling doesn't back you up on this from what I have seen. People expect to be poorer following Brexit and immigration was never about the numbers - it was about having the right to say who can and who can't come into the country. According to the EU the UK is the most tolerant society for non-European immigration so i don't believe we're suddenly going to get upset over a few more visas for Indian students and professionals.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:22 pm 

clementinfrance wrote:
clementinfrance wrote:

When voting for a party or MP you have a load of binary choices to make.

One of those choices is Pro-EU MP or Anti-EU MP.

Unless there was literally zero anti-EU MP's during the elections following the signature of these treaties then actually yes the Brtitsh public did have its say...

You're splitting hairs. Many constituencies don't have an anti-EU MP (or an anti-EU electable candidate).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:24 pm 

We also didn't get a vote on Iraq, or Libya, we didn't get a vote on aircraft carriers with no aircraft (and Corbyn mayn't offer a vote on nuclear subs with no nukes), we didn't get a vote on Cameron kicking off a massive reform of the NHS, this could go on and on when really we shouldn't given the general lack of understanding, instead we have a representative parliament. And when it comes to the EU those who do spend their time reading up on the issues find themselves strongly in favour of the EU, which isn't really all that surprising

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:25 pm 

Calculus wrote:
Quite bizarre how certain posters think they speak for everyone who voted for leave.

I'm reiterating the results of extensive poling that has been ongoing since the referendum two years ago. I'm just trying to understand the trends.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:28 pm 

piquant wrote:

We also didn't get a vote on Iraq, or Libya, we didn't get a vote on aircraft carriers with no aircraft (and Corbyn mayn't offer a vote on nuclear subs with no nukes), we didn't get a vote on Cameron kicking off a massive reform of the NHS, this could go on and on when really we shouldn't given the general lack of understanding, instead we have a representative parliament. And when it comes to the EU those who do spend their time reading up on the issues find themselves strongly in favour of the EU, which isn't really all that surprising

I was answering Clement who said the UK public could have voted for parties who were against the treaties.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68954 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1694, 1695, 1696, 1697, 1698, 1699, 1700 ... 1724  Next