Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 2124, 2125, 2126, 2127, 2128, 2129, 2130 ... 2161  Next

Whether you can or can't actually vote IRL, In, or Out
In 60%  60%  [ 247 ]
Out 40%  40%  [ 166 ]
Total votes : 413
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:10 pm 

The DUP may well be in a strong position owing to the Fixed Term Parliament Act. That is, they can mess up May's Govt. without risking a Corbyn one, piling the pressure on May and emboldening the ERG.

Quote:
But what is being missed are the consequences of the Fixed Term Parliaments Act of 2011, and the increased leverage it gives to the DUP. Under the act, a parliament runs for five years unless there is a two-thirds majority for an early election or the government loses a vote of no confidence and no-one is able to form a new government within 14 days.

Thanks to the Fixed Term Parliaments Act, “confidence votes” have been explicitly drawn to exclude votes on the Budget or the Queen’s Speech. A government only falls if it loses a vote of no confidence. It no longer falls if it loses a major vote, a Budget vote or even the Queen’s Speech.

This obviously increases the leverage of the DUP – and Labour’s ability to harry the government day-to-day. The DUP can hold the government up, by backing them in confidence votes. But they can also let them down by deserting them on essentially everything else to secure bigger concessions from the Conservative Party.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/s ... arliaments

Last edited by Rugby2023 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:14 pm 

backrow wrote:
do Uganda, Kenya etc even have pensions ?
interesting that the article only shows the pension as a liability - what about the asset side such as the pension provider (at least some of whom would be british owned companies, predominatly invested in Uk assets including UK gilts) or the asset that retired UK pensioners receive an income and can spend it on Blue Rinse, denture cream and Bingo ?

pension deficits will naturally be worse for a country where life expectancy is higher, as well as peoples sense of entitlement that the state should provide. the sooner a Uk govt sets about properly funding peoples old age, such as Australians enforced superannuation scheme, the better. Alternatively, just stop providing a state pension at all & the hideous cost.

I do agree that the selling off of state assets has gone on way too long, and at too much long term costs - not so much the privitisation of utilities things, but schools selling their playing fields type.

Stop providing a state pension, let old people starve to death? Its one solution

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:20 pm 

sewa wrote:
backrow wrote:
interesting that the article only shows the pension as a liability - what about the asset side such as the pension provider (at least some of whom would be british owned companies, predominatly invested in Uk assets including UK gilts) or the asset that retired UK pensioners receive an income and can spend it on Blue Rinse, denture cream and Bingo ?

pension deficits will naturally be worse for a country where life expectancy is higher, as well as peoples sense of entitlement that the state should provide. the sooner a Uk govt sets about properly funding peoples old age, such as Australians enforced superannuation scheme, the better. Alternatively, just stop providing a state pension at all & the hideous cost.

I do agree that the selling off of state assets has gone on way too long, and at too much long term costs - not so much the privitisation of utilities things, but schools selling their playing fields type.

Stop providing a state pension, let old people starve to death? Its one solution

perhaps people can start providing for their own old age food needs ?
if they had more money in their pocket thanks to not having to pay tax for fund state pension, then they would have more money to put aside for their own age. If they choose to spunk it on clothes and holidays and normal stuff people with no sense of planning do, so be it.

to be clear, I'm just putting it there as an extreme example, I actually think people should be forced to pay a superannuation tax for their old age - sadly it would be political suicide in a low tax expectation, high provision entitlement such as the average Uk voter lives in.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:26 pm 

backrow wrote:
sewa wrote:
backrow wrote:

if they had more money in their pocket thanks to not having to pay tax for fund state pension, then they would have more money to put aside for their own age. If they choose to spunk it on clothes and holidays and normal stuff people with no sense of planning do, so be it.

to be clear, I'm just putting it there as an extreme example, I actually think people should be forced to pay a superannuation tax for their old age - sadly it would be political suicide in a low tax expectation, high provision entitlement such as the average Uk voter lives in.

I don't disagree with a superannuation tax but you already have PRSI, is that not supposed to be for benefits? I understand people won't want higher PRSI but sometimes governments need to do unpopular things, selling off the family china to avoid the hard decisions hasn't exactly been a roaring success.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:51 pm 

sewa wrote:
backrow wrote:
sewa wrote:
backrow wrote:

I don't disagree with a superannuation tax but you already have PRSI, is that not supposed to be for benefits? I understand people won't want higher PRSI but sometimes governments need to do unpopular things, selling off the family china to avoid the hard decisions hasn't exactly been a roaring success.

we'll have none of that fancy foreign mick PRSI rubbish here thanks - its National insurance.
We do have it - sadly its just not enough, the 11% rate (to cover everything) is pretty much what the aussies charge for their Pension alone (I may be a few years out on the stats here as been a while since I've been involved in anything related to this.)

I entirely agree with you about selling the family China not working well. its short sightedness in the extreme.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:56 pm 

Rugby2023 wrote:
The DUP may well be in a strong position owing to the Fixed Term Parliament Act. That is, they can mess up May's Govt. without risking a Corbyn one, piling the pressure on May and emboldening the ERG.

Quote:
But what is being missed are the consequences of the Fixed Term Parliaments Act of 2011, and the increased leverage it gives to the DUP. Under the act, a parliament runs for five years unless there is a two-thirds majority for an early election or the government loses a vote of no confidence and no-one is able to form a new government within 14 days.

Thanks to the Fixed Term Parliaments Act, “confidence votes” have been explicitly drawn to exclude votes on the Budget or the Queen’s Speech. A government only falls if it loses a vote of no confidence. It no longer falls if it loses a major vote, a Budget vote or even the Queen’s Speech.

This obviously increases the leverage of the DUP – and Labour’s ability to harry the government day-to-day. The DUP can hold the government up, by backing them in confidence votes. But they can also let them down by deserting them on essentially everything else to secure bigger concessions from the Conservative Party.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/s ... arliaments

If Theresa May doesn't get her EU deal through parliament then that would be viewed as a vote of no confidence.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:09 pm 

Nobleman wrote:
If Theresa May doesn't get her EU deal through parliament then that would be viewed as a vote of no confidence.

It wouldn't actually be one though. Conceivably, May could then hold a separate confidence vote and win it (which she probably would considering Tories & DUP won't vote for Corbyn).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:18 pm 

Rugby2023 wrote:
Nobleman wrote:

It wouldn't actually be one though. Conceivably, May could then hold a separate confidence vote and win it (which she probably would considering Tories & DUP won't vote for Corbyn).

Yip. The ERG consistently say there's no government confidence vote.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:27 pm 

Rugby2023 wrote:
Nobleman wrote:

Theresa May will almost certainly use the vote on the deal as a vote of no confidence, in order to get it through. These are the same tactics that John Major used with the Maastricht treaty in 1993.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:35 pm 

Nobleman wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:
Nobleman wrote:

Theresa May will almost certainly use the vote on the deal as a vote of no confidence, in order to get it through. These are the same tactics that John Major used with the Maastricht treaty in 1993.

I believe that's against the Fixed Terms Parliament Act 2011, my understanding it can no longer linked to other votes or legislation i.e. it has to be separate motion.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:38 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
S Club wrote:
sewa wrote:
This looks a good read, my free articles are used up so if anyone cares to paste in the rest :thumbup:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/10/10/jeremy-corbyn-says-schools-should-teach-children-grave-injustices/

School children should be taught about the “grave injustices” of the British Empire, Jeremy Corbyn will say on Thursday, prompting a furious response from Tory politicians.

The Labour leader will announce plans to improve the teaching of black British history and the history of the British Empire, colonialism and slavery “to help ensure their legacy is more widely understood across the country”.

Mr Corbyn will outline Labour’s plans to support a new Emancipation Educational Trust, aimed at educating future generations about slavery and the struggle for emancipation.

The trust will tell the story of "how slavery interrupted a rich African and black history", delivering school programmes for young...

British and Irish Empire, thank you very much. I think you do your great country a disservice by overlooking the crucial role you proudly played, shoulder to shoulder with the British in creating and maintaining imperial rule around the world.

Plenty of shit committed by the British Empire involved participation of Irish subjects. It's definitely something that's glossed over and should be more widely taught. :thumbup:

I wonder if the Portugal, Spain, Benin and Nigeria and modern day Arab states tie themselves in knots over their historical involvement in the slave trade?

I doubt it. I'm not suggesting that we should collectively wring our hands and self-flagellate over what our ancestors did, but neither should it be completely dismissed. Just because the Irish were net victims of British bad shit doesn't mean that there weren't Irish participants dishing out the shit in other places.

I'm not really trying to make any particular point, TBH. I just think that every country/ethnic group/religion/culture should at least be aware of the good and the bad in their history.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:43 pm 

British history tuition back in the 1980's covered the bad very well. It was before we knew we all needed a safe space to hear bad stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:44 pm 

Rugby2023 wrote:
Nobleman wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:
Nobleman wrote:

I believe that's against the Fixed Terms Parliament Act 2011, my understanding it can no longer linked to other votes or legislation.

She has already used the tactic for one of the votes on the withdrawal bill. She will almost certainly tell the 40 ERG MPs and the 10 DUP MPs that if they don't vote through her chequers deal then she will call a general election.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:50 pm 

bimboman wrote:
British history tuition back in the 1980's covered the bad very well. It was before we knew we all needed a safe space to hear bad stuff.

Really? What level of education were you up to in History?
I did both O level and A level History and none of what would be considered the bad stuff was ever covered. Cromwell in Ireland for instance was not mentioned at all in any History lesson I ever went to.
Neither was our deplorable treatment of numerous indigenous "brown" folk.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:51 pm 

c69 wrote:
bimboman wrote:

I did both O level and A level History and none of what would be considered the bad stuff was ever covered. Cromwell in Ireland for instance was not mentioned at all in any History lesson I ever went to.

I've covered this before with him. He appears to have studied a different syllabus.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:52 pm 

Nobleman wrote:
She has already used the tactic for one of the votes on the withdrawal bill. She will almost certainly tell the 40 ERG MPs and the 10 DUP MPs that if they don't vote through her chequers deal then she will call a general election.

There has to be a 2/3rds vote for a General Election. Tory & DUP won't vote for that, turkeys & Christmas.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:57 pm 

Rugby2023 wrote:
Nobleman wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:
Nobleman wrote:

I believe that's against the Fixed Terms Parliament Act 2011, my understanding it can no longer linked to other votes or legislation i.e. it has to be separate motion.

This is true, but there's nothing to stop them amending the fixed term act, well maybe if Labour absolutely shat themselves at the prospect of a general election and there were some Tory holdouts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:59 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
c69 wrote:
bimboman wrote:

I've covered this before with him. He appears to have studied a different syllabus.

It appears so. I remember you telling me what my education consisted of in detail.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:03 pm 

What did you study bimbo?
O level or A level?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:04 pm 

bimboman wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
c69 wrote:
bimboman wrote:

It appears so. I remember you telling me what my education consisted of in detail.

One of you is lying it appears.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:04 pm 

c69 wrote:
bimboman wrote:

You did a History A level in the 1980'd with no mention of at strikes me as immensely unlikely, but hey I bet you can nail what the Romans did for us.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:06 pm 

bimboman wrote:
c69 wrote:
bimboman wrote:

You did a History A level in the 1980'd with no mention of at strikes me as immensely unlikely, but hey I bet you can nail what the Romans did for us.

No mention of what exactly?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:07 pm 

c69 wrote:
O level or A level?

O level, A grade, Cambridge board.

A level, started not finished, went to work.

Irish history was covered quite extensively in the "modern British" section of the O level. Now do have a horrible day.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:08 pm 

Rugby2023 wrote:
Nobleman wrote:

There has to be a 2/3rds vote for a General Election. Tory & DUP won't vote for that, turkeys & Christmas.

There are only 40 ERG MPs and 10 DUP MPs they wouldn't be able to prevent it. If TM can't get her deal through parliament, then she may well call a GE to get the public support for the deal. When it comes to the crunch the swivel-eyed loons will back down , just as they did in 1993.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:08 pm 

c69 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
c69 wrote:
bimboman wrote:

No mention of what exactly?

Irish history. Even A level coverage of British history 1910-1925 would have covered Ireland and to cover that would have covered earlier migrations and Cromwell, as I said maybe you're really good on Rome.

Last edited by bimboman on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:09 pm 

Nobleman wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:
Nobleman wrote:

There are only 40 ERG MPs and 10 DUP MPs they wouldn't be able to prevent it. If TM can't get her deal through parliament, then she may well call a GE to get the public support for the deal. When it comes to the crunch the swivel-eyed loons will back down , just as they did in 1993.

There's 80 in the ERG.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:11 pm 

I did A level Modern European and British history as set by the Welsh Joint Education Committee (WJEC) iirc. We didn't even cover much Welsh stuff let alone Irish.
What level of education did you get to in history bimbo?
You seem to know alot about curriculums. I can only talk about my own educational exposure.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:14 pm 

c69 wrote:
I did A level Modern European and British history as set by the Welsh Joint Education Committee (WJEC) iirc. We didn't even cover much Welsh stuff let alone Irish.
You seem to know alot about curriculums. I can only talk about my own educational exposure.

Your A level in British history didn't cover the Easter rising ? Do f uck off.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:16 pm 

bimboman wrote:
c69 wrote:

No it did not. Did your A level or Degree or Masters cover it?
An other area of expertise for the ever expanding list.
Schools History curriculums.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:16 pm 

Nobleman wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:
Nobleman wrote:

Even Pro-EU Tory MPs aren't voting for a GE with the prospect of Corbyn. No one has any confidence that May would win it. As to public support for the deal, Remainers don't want to leave, and Leavers loathe Chequers. Corbyn would win.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:21 pm 

piquant wrote:
This is true, but there's nothing to stop them amending the fixed term act, well maybe if Labour absolutely shat themselves at the prospect of a general election and there were some Tory holdouts

Essentially she'd be asking Tory MPs to vote with Labour on legislation which makes a Corbyn Govt. possible in order to push through a Chequers deal with the EU that is highly unpopular and that Labour will vote against. Difficult to envisage.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:22 pm 

bimboman wrote:
Nobleman wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:
Nobleman wrote:

There's 80 in the ERG.

That was last month. They're down to 40 now.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... style-plan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:23 pm 

bimboman wrote:
c69 wrote:
O level or A level?

O level, A grade, Cambridge board.

A level, started not finished, went to work.

Oh dear me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:25 pm 

c69 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
c69 wrote:

Well my simplistic O level covered it, Britain 1910-25. As I say the idea that A Modern British history A level wouldn't mention the First World War isn't really believable, and you'd cover the Easter rising even in passing in studying the politics of 1916-17 Britain while studying the First World War. Maybe you did a massively shit exam board.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:31 pm 

Rugby2023 wrote:
piquant wrote:

Essentially she'd be asking Tory MPs to vote with Labour on legislation which makes a Corbyn Govt. possible in order to push through a Chequers deal with the EU that is highly unpopular and that Labour will vote against. Difficult to envisage.

If they didn’t vote in support of May they'd get questions every day until polling day about being gutless. I'm not saying they'd try to make it a confidence motion, but the fixed term act is an administration hurdle to clear rather than an impassable object

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:33 pm 

c69 wrote:

Purely anecdotic evidence, but picking up the first result after googling "irish history in british curriculum", it certainly makes it sound like you're more representative than your interlocutor: https://www.quora.com/In-British-school ... ain-played

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:36 pm 

bimboman wrote:
c69 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
c69 wrote:

Well my simplistic O level covered it, Britain 1910-25. As I say the idea that A Modern British history A level wouldn't mention the First World War isn't really believable, and you'd cover the Easter rising even in passing in studying the politics of 1916-17 Britain while studying the First World War. Maybe you did a massively shit exam board.

It wasn't the best exam board. There is a lot of stuff it didnt cover.
Not a jot about Ireland was mentioned. As I said very little Welsh history was covered, which is strange for a Welsh exam board.
The only time I remember Ireland being covered at all in school was in biology when we looked at potato blight.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:40 pm 

piquant wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:
piquant wrote:

If they didn’t vote in support of May they'd get questions every day until polling day about being gutless. I'm not saying they'd try to make it a confidence motion, but the fixed term act is an administration hurdle to clear rather than an impassable object

Let's just say it would be politically hazardous and consequently v.unlikely (though not impossible I'll cede).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:41 pm 

Toulon's Not Toulouse wrote:
c69 wrote:

Purely anecdotic evidence, but picking up the first result after googling "irish history in british curriculum", it certainly makes it sound like you're more representative than your interlocutor: https://www.quora.com/In-British-school ... ain-played

I did a bit about the Easter Rising/Independence and the (1960s-90s) Troubles at GCSE. The only Irish stuff we did at A Level was Catholic Emancipation, a bit but not much on The Famine, and then quite a lot on Home Rule. It was British Political History 1812-1914. It wasn't very judgemental or handwringy, though we did once have a discussion with our Teacher about which 19th Century Prime Minister you'd want to have a pint with.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:53 pm 

Toulon's Not Toulouse wrote:
c69 wrote:

What? Is Bimbo making up shit again?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 2124, 2125, 2126, 2127, 2128, 2129, 2130 ... 2161  Next