Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 2125, 2126, 2127, 2128, 2129, 2130, 2131 ... 2161  Next

Whether you can or can't actually vote IRL, In, or Out
In 60%  60%  [ 247 ]
Out 40%  40%  [ 166 ]
Total votes : 413
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:57 pm 

La soule wrote:
Toulon's Not Toulouse wrote:
c69 wrote:
I did A level Modern European and British history as set by the Welsh Joint Education Committee (WJEC) iirc. We didn't even cover much Welsh stuff let alone Irish.
What level of education did you get to in history bimbo?
You seem to know alot about curriculums. I can only talk about my own educational exposure.

Purely anecdotic evidence, but picking up the first result after googling "irish history in british curriculum", it certainly makes it sound like you're more representative than your interlocutor: https://www.quora.com/In-British-school ... ain-played

What? Is Bimbo making up shit again?

Yep, I took my O levels just a couple of years ago. God you're dim.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:58 pm 

bimboman wrote:
La soule wrote:
c69 wrote:
I did A level Modern European and British history as set by the Welsh Joint Education Committee (WJEC) iirc. We didn't even cover much Welsh stuff let alone Irish.
You seem to know alot about curriculums. I can only talk about my own educational exposure.

Purely anecdotic evidence, but picking up the first result after googling "irish history in british curriculum", it certainly makes it sound like you're more representative than your interlocutor: https://www.quora.com/In-British-school ... ain-played

I thought we agreed that you, of all people, should not comment on other people intellect.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:01 pm 

I did my history A level (O and C) in the early 90s and there was no irish stuff. I did have an teacher from dublin as well.

My History degree didn't cover it either.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:05 pm 

ukjim wrote:
I did my history A level (O and C) in the early 90s and there was no irish stuff. I did have an teacher from dublin as well.

Polytechnic ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:11 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
c69 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
British history tuition back in the 1980's covered the bad very well. It was before we knew we all needed a safe space to hear bad stuff.

Really? What level of education were you up to in History?
I did both O level and A level History and none of what would be considered the bad stuff was ever covered. Cromwell in Ireland for instance was not mentioned at all in any History lesson I ever went to.
Neither was our deplorable treatment of numerous indigenous "brown" folk.

I've covered this before with him. He appears to have studied a different syllabus.

I have no doubt that he led the class while the teacher took notes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:12 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
c69 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
British history tuition back in the 1980's covered the bad very well. It was before we knew we all needed a safe space to hear bad stuff.

I did both O level and A level History and none of what would be considered the bad stuff was ever covered. Cromwell in Ireland for instance was not mentioned at all in any History lesson I ever went to.

I've covered this before with him. He appears to have studied a different syllabus.

Home schooled

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:14 pm 

Rinkals wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
c69 wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Dear Lord no, I wasn't even that studious. Got a decent memory though and my arithmetics sharp.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:17 pm 

bimboman wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
c69 wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Dear Lord no, I wasn't even that studious. Got a decent memory though and my arithmetics sharp.

Ah.

That accounts for it. I suspect that neither your memory nor your mathematics are quite as sharp as you think they are.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:29 pm 

bimboman wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
c69 wrote:
bimboman wrote:

It appears so. I remember you telling me what my education consisted of in detail.

It would seem your memory isn't that good.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:35 pm 

bimboman wrote:
ukjim wrote:

Polytechnic ?

as it happens no

I just missed the polys as they were new unis when I went. I went to an old uni.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:41 pm 

La soule wrote:
bimboman wrote:
La soule wrote:
c69 wrote:

I thought we agreed that you, of all people, should not comment on other people intellect.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:uhoh:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:43 pm 

bimboman wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
c69 wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, understanding is not putting it in a fruit salad.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:39 pm 

From the FT :

Quote:

Cabinet ministers briefed on the talks said the vexed issue of the Irish backstop — the last outstanding issue in negotiations on an exit withdrawal treaty — was close to being settled.

Mrs May has signalled she can accept demands by Brussels that Northern Ireland remain part of the single market during the period of a backstop — the treaty guarantee that there would be no return to a physical border in Ireland.

That would mean checks on industrial goods and other products travelling from mainland Britain to Northern Ireland, although Michel Barnier, EU chief negotiator, insisted these would be minimal.

The DUP strongly opposes the plan.

Mr Barnier is set to agree Britain’s demand for the backstop to include references to a customs union to the whole UK, which would avoid a customs border in the Irish Sea while a more comprehensive UK-EU trade agreement is completed.

Mrs May has accepted that there should be no firm end date to the backstop, although language will be found to say that it will be a temporary arrangement with “a clear pathway” to a final trade deal, intended to create frictionless trade.

https://www.ft.com/content/30fbcb64-cd7 ... ad351828ab

Expect the DUP to go even more loco; and SAmmy Wilson to self combust.

Popcorn time.....................

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:51 pm 

Haven't been reading the thread today so sorry for any RR, but felt the need to post the latest 'is the UK a joke country' news:

This seems normal and what we voted for
Quote:
A furious Conservative MP has demanded to know why he was not told about plans to turn a motorway in his constituency into a "parking lot" to handle the consequences of a "no-deal" Brexit.

Tom Tugendhat told the Commons that work on the M26 in Kent started on Wednesday night, even though he was given assurances that nothing was in the pipeline.

Highways England has confirmed to Sky News that as part of "wider resilience planning", the Department for Transport has asked it to "develop plans to utilise the M26 to hold heavy goods vehicles, should further capacity be required in the future".

Thick as mince "only upsides" guy starts getting ready for the back track

Quote:
Dithering former Brexit secretary David Davis has claimed that the “benefits” that Brexiteers were hoping for when the UK leaves the EU are starting to “vanish”.

And this

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:55 pm 

So what is the actual point of Brexit for the UK?

A hard brexit (which is what twats like Bojo/Rees-mogue want) will cripple the economy of both the UK and severly damage that of the ROI (yes it will).

IMO, I don't care whether or not there are custom checks for lorries from NI. The only legislation changes that would really affect myself is that of livestock being shipped from NI to GB and GB to NI. ATM, the vet will have to inspect all livestock travelling across the Irish sea, prior to leaving the farm/livestock mart, they will then get inspected once again if they arrive from GB to the farm in NI by DAERA vets. So they really can't make many more changes to that. It has been that way for a reason, farms in NI want to keep their Health status.

Custom checks on lorries will affect transport companies, not me, so I am fine with that, if done properly it shouldn't cost the housewife a huge amount, if anything. This will open new markets for NI, it is win - win, as if rumours are true then our goods produced here can be stamped with either an EU stamp or UK stamp. The local economy will flourish and it further cements NIs future within the UK.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:57 pm 

Speaking of Northern Ireland, the DUP have decided it's in their gift to get rid of the PM.

The latest Brexit bollocks “may lead to a different leader” for the Conservatives to “heal the wounds” if they want the Confidence & Supply agreement to “stay in place” by going “in a different direction” on Brexit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:58 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
From the FT :

Quote:

Cabinet ministers briefed on the talks said the vexed issue of the Irish backstop — the last outstanding issue in negotiations on an exit withdrawal treaty — was close to being settled.

Mrs May has signalled she can accept demands by Brussels that Northern Ireland remain part of the single market during the period of a backstop — the treaty guarantee that there would be no return to a physical border in Ireland.

That would mean checks on industrial goods and other products travelling from mainland Britain to Northern Ireland, although Michel Barnier, EU chief negotiator, insisted these would be minimal.

The DUP strongly opposes the plan.

Mr Barnier is set to agree Britain’s demand for the backstop to include references to a customs union to the whole UK, which would avoid a customs border in the Irish Sea while a more comprehensive UK-EU trade agreement is completed.

Mrs May has accepted that there should be no firm end date to the backstop, although language will be found to say that it will be a temporary arrangement with “a clear pathway” to a final trade deal, intended to create frictionless trade.

https://www.ft.com/content/30fbcb64-cd7 ... ad351828ab

Expect the DUP to go even more loco; and SAmmy Wilson to self combust.

Popcorn time.....................

May just needs to keep giving the DUP the mushroom treatment until the end of the month; & the budget vote. Once that's done, she's pulled the DUPs teeth.; they've lost their opportunity to trigger a confidence vote, & she can fall back on getting assorted Labour & others, to get any vote on Brexit thru.

... if she pulls it off, she could bizarrely end up on the list of the most cunning PM's ever. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:58 pm 

Willie Falloon wrote:

A hard brexit (which is what twats like Bojo/Rees-mogue want) will cripple the economy of both the UK and severly damage that of the ROI (yes it will).

IMO, I don't care whether or not there are custom checks for lorries from NI. The only legislation changes that would really affect myself is that of livestock being shipped from NI to GB and GB to NI. ATM, the vet will have to inspect all livestock travelling across the Irish sea, prior to leaving the farm/livestock mart, they will then get inspected once again if they arrive from GB to the farm in NI by DAERA vets. So they really can't make many more changes to that. It has been that way for a reason, farms in NI want to keep their Health status.

Custom checks on lorries will affect transport companies, not me, so I am fine with that, if done properly it shouldn't cost the housewife a huge amount, if anything. This will open new markets for NI, it is win - win, as if rumours are true then our goods produced here can be stamped with either an EU stamp or UK stamp. The local economy will flourish and it further cements NIs future within the UK.

Have you told Arlene?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:01 pm 

SamShark wrote:

On this; I wonder if the coppers up north have anything similar sitting in their in trays that might be used as leverage against the DUP ?

The investigation of where the money came from for their glossy campaign in the UK media wasn't very credible; & it had the potential to make the cash-for-ash graft look like small potatoes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:02 pm 

It wonder how long it will be before Carole retracts this story ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:13 pm 

Willie Falloon wrote:

Dogma !

Something Protestants have justifiable thrown in Catholics face for years, & now are seeing what it looks like from the other side.

The DUP have adopted a Political position that is 180 degrees against the best interests of their constituents, for exactly the reasons you've identified; because they are under some illusion, that they are playing the; 'long game'.

In reality the 'long game'; is a United Ireland, within the EU; & they'd be better serving their constituents, by realizing that, that is the way the demographics are going, & positioning themselves in such a way as to maximize their position within a future Dail.

If there is a United Ireland; whatever the main Unionist Party is, they'll have a much, more significant voice in it, under PR, that they ever really had Westminster. Under PR, in all probability, NI parties will control the balance of power in the Dail; & will, as a result have significant power in every Government Post-Unification.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:22 pm 

This is going from bad to worse yet, the usual Tory boy catamites lap up the bullshit

Quote:
Britain’s former ambassador to the EU has accused Theresa May of “culpable naivety” in Brexit negotiations and warned that the British establishment is running on “PPE tutorial level plausible bullshit”.

Sir Ivan Rogers, who was the UK’s permanent representative to the EU until 2017, when he quit after a run-in with Downing Street, said the EU had the UK “against the wall” and would continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:27 pm 

fishfoodie wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:

Dogma !

Something Protestants have justifiable thrown in Catholics face for years, & now are seeing what it looks like from the other side.

The DUP have adopted a Political position that is 180 degrees against the best interests of their constituents, for exactly the reasons you've identified; because they are under some illusion, that they are playing the; 'long game'.

In reality the 'long game'; is a United Ireland, within the EU; & they'd be better serving their constituents, by realizing that, that is the way the demographics are going, & positioning themselves in such a way as to maximize their position within a future Dail.

If there is a United Ireland; whatever the main Unionist Party is, they'll have a much, more significant voice in it, under PR, that they ever really had Westminster. Under PR, in all probability, NI parties will control the balance of power in the Dail; & will, as a result have significant power in every Government Post-Unification.

This has nothing to do with a United Ireland.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:33 pm 

Willie Falloon wrote:
fishfoodie wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:

Dogma !

This has nothing to do with a United Ireland.

Then why does the DUP object to a customs border in the Irish Sea ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:35 pm 

Are we going to have HMRC agents roaming the Free State and rocking up to business premises to carry out inspections?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:36 pm 

Complete text of Ivan Rogers speech at Cambridge.

Long but well worth the read.

https://share.trin.cam.ac.uk/sites/publ ... lution.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:49 pm 

camroc1 wrote:

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:24 am 

Good speech :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:16 am 

backrow wrote:
sewa wrote:
backrow wrote:
do Uganda, Kenya etc even have pensions ?
interesting that the article only shows the pension as a liability - what about the asset side such as the pension provider (at least some of whom would be british owned companies, predominatly invested in Uk assets including UK gilts) or the asset that retired UK pensioners receive an income and can spend it on Blue Rinse, denture cream and Bingo ?

pension deficits will naturally be worse for a country where life expectancy is higher, as well as peoples sense of entitlement that the state should provide. the sooner a Uk govt sets about properly funding peoples old age, such as Australians enforced superannuation scheme, the better. Alternatively, just stop providing a state pension at all & the hideous cost.

I do agree that the selling off of state assets has gone on way too long, and at too much long term costs - not so much the privitisation of utilities things, but schools selling their playing fields type.

Stop providing a state pension, let old people starve to death? Its one solution

perhaps people can start providing for their own old age food needs ?
if they had more money in their pocket thanks to not having to pay tax for fund state pension, then they would have more money to put aside for their own age. If they choose to spunk it on clothes and holidays and normal stuff people with no sense of planning do, so be it.

to be clear, I'm just putting it there as an extreme example, I actually think people should be forced to pay a superannuation tax for their old age - sadly it would be political suicide in a low tax expectation, high provision entitlement such as the average Uk voter lives in.

I agree. Most public service pay a superannuation anyway. However wasn't National Insurance supposed to be what people paid for the state pension? You might get around it by saying everyone pays a superannuation, but it's opt out. Most people won't opt out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:45 am 

La soule wrote:
c69 wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... s-research

Regardless it would appear that since you oldies went to school a more balanced view of British history has been taught:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... s-research

Quote:

Claims that the history of the British empire is not being widely taught in schools – and when it is that the content is negative and anti-British – are false, according to research.

Some historians and politicians have criticised schools for failing to teach about the empire and in particular the achievements of empire. Among them is the former education secretary, Michael Gove, who once complained that too much history teaching was informed by post-colonial guilt.

But a paper by Prof Terry Haydn of the University of East Anglia found that the study of the British empire was an “integral” part of the national curriculum in England, which stipulates that pupils should be taught about “ideas, political power, industry and empire: Britain, 1745-1901”.

Haydn’s findings are based on an analysis of curriculum specifications, text books and history education websites, as well as a small-scale survey of 15 heads of history departments. The report also concludes that neither the textbooks teaching about empire, nor the history websites used by schools, suggest an “anti-British” slant is being taught in schools.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:48 am 

c69 wrote:
This is going from bad to worse yet, the usual Tory boy catamites lap up the bullshit

Quote:
Britain’s former ambassador to the EU has accused Theresa May of “culpable naivety” in Brexit negotiations and warned that the British establishment is running on “PPE tutorial level plausible bullshit”.

Sir Ivan Rogers, who was the UK’s permanent representative to the EU until 2017, when he quit after a run-in with Downing Street, said the EU had the UK “against the wall” and would continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

The Wall of the People :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:49 am 

Willie Falloon wrote:

Win - win :lol: :lol: You know that that anyone exporting organic goods to the EU will go bust on the 1st of April? Oh and look the M26 is becoming a car park, sure its great :lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/oct/11/second-kent-motorway-is-possible-post-brexit-lorry-park

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:51 am 

The article state that Gove's view that education is anti British is untrue.

It does no mean that the kids are taught about your murderous rapist colonialist past.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:53 am 

Oh and no more grants Willie, thats about 50% of the average farm income, win win you clown :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:57 am 

Quote:
You know that that anyone exporting organic goods to the EU will go bust on the 1st of April? Oh and look the M26 is becoming a car park, sure its great :lol:

I'll give you 1/2 a dozen business exporting organic foods that will still be in business this time next year you massive fool.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:57 am 

camroc1 wrote:

Thanks for posting this superb link. Only halfway through. The EU as the Ancien Regime. Gove as Danton and JRM and pals as Robespierre. Please God, let BoJo not emerge as Napoleon.:P

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:58 am 

bimboman wrote:
Quote:
You know that that anyone exporting organic goods to the EU will go bust on the 1st of April? Oh and look the M26 is becoming a car park, sure its great :lol:

I'll give you 1/2 a dozen business exporting organic foods that will still be in business this time next year you massive fool.

Yes, ones that export to the US or Asia will be fine. Ones that are reliant on exports to the EU will be rightly fooked over on day 1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:03 am 

sewa wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Quote:

Yes, ones that export to the US or Asia will be fine. Ones that are reliant on exports to the EU will be rightly fooked over on day 1

Sad to see a neighbor taking such joy in Britain's problems. :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:05 am 

sewa wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Quote:

I'll give youn1/2 a dozen that export to the EU, fool.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:07 am 

Sandstorm wrote:
sewa wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Quote:

Sad to see a neighbor taking such joy in Britain's problems. :thumbdown:

Sad to see a neighbour deluding yourselves. Bimboman told us repeatedly there would be no impact whatsoever on logistics, now you are busy building the biggest carparks in Europe. Grow up and take some responsibility for your collective stupidity

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 2125, 2126, 2127, 2128, 2129, 2130, 2131 ... 2161  Next