Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:33 pm 

Watching some highlights and was perplexed as to why this was a 'No Try'. Where the decoy ends up cuts off a defender's pursuit line, I guess ...

https://youtu.be/Yohd506l5MM?t=6m59s

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:06 pm 

It's a blanket rule now, if you catch it before you go pass your teammate then it's interference because you're running with the ball behind your own player. It's mandatory to avoid having to discern what constitutes interference

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:29 pm 

They have tried to strictly codify the obstruction law as to remove any interpretation (a bit like rugby has tried to do with tackles in the air). This shows that this is not really the answer, that is a try all day.

We need to allow refs to use their common sense, even it it results in some inconsistencies from week to week. I'd prefer that rather than blanket rules - every situation is different.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:03 am 

One thing I've been annoyed by in rugby (watching and having it happen to me) is dummy runners stepping right into my pursuit line. I wasn't technically 'obstructed' from making a tackle, but defenders are delayed from getting to a spot quicker than they would... or not at all if inside their 22m.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:42 am 

NZ teams used to employ the early obstruction tactic. They'd obstruct the defender then move away in time but the defender isn't able to get into position to make a decision.