Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:21 pm 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
Armchair_Superstar wrote:
So Kiwis "founded" going for a walk, in the bad bush North of Wellington.

Don't ever change, antipodeans.

Re read my post again you fcking imbecile. In NZ.

The tararua tramping club was the first one IN NEW ZEALAND.

Fck me what a retarded post. I'm going to be shaking my head all day in disbelief that such a pleasant thread could have been railroaded in such moronic fashion.

Don't get so upset Kiwi globus, antipodeans are meant to be tough.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:08 am 

DAC2016 wrote:
6 days is a good effort if you can do it.

Cheers Dai yeah we finished in 5. Definitely not recommended for the faint hearted. In reckon 7 days wouldve been perfect but didnt have the time off work.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:47 am 

RuggaBugga wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
I may as well blow the trumpet here as well..

I'm planning a return to Nepal later this year, in October. This time we're heading off to do the Three Passes trek in the Khumbu, the area around Everest. If we can manage it all, we'll climb ... oh bugger it, here's a pic of the profile

If we pull this off I reckon we'll have done one of the tougher walks going and I'll be well chuffed.

That looks full on :uhoh:

I believe anything above base camp you need oxygen. Right?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:01 am 

No, but it helps.

People have climbed Everest without it. fudge knows how.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:40 am 

guy smiley wrote:

I'm planning a return to Nepal later this year, in October. This time we're heading off to do the Three Passes trek in the Khumbu, the area around Everest. If we can manage it all, we'll climb ... oh bugger it, here's a pic of the profile

If we pull this off I reckon we'll have done one of the tougher walks going and I'll be well chuffed.

Awesome..

I'm taking my 5 year old boy back to NZ next month for a week of light hiking. 5 years living in Aus he needs to harden up..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:43 am 

Seneca = Hec?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:29 am 

HKCJ wrote:

Mat - have u booked Milford? If you plan on staying in huts you need to book miles in advance or else you will pay extortionate amounts to go with a tour company. I ended up missing out and doing Queen Charlotte and Routeburn instead so its still on my to do list.

Personally I wouldn't bother with Fuji unless you do it out of season.. it's a truly horrid descent anyway and with the numbers of people the whole thing is ridiculous. Get yourself some crampons, some good thermals, a warm jacket and a balaclava and just go straight up at the end of May (dont have to ski down and its icy if you do). A much more rewarding and spiritually uplifting experience. Trust me doing it in the tourist season is something I would never ever do again.

How far in advance? It's not going to be until next year at the earliest - I'm off anything serious until Dec x(

I used to be a fairly avid day walker when I lived in Wales - I climbed Snowdon at least once a month.

I'm just aiming for stuff really - I'd be interested in Fuji in May - mad but fun.

Hoping to do some Via Ferrata next year in Italy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:37 am 

Has no-one ever climbed Primrose Hill?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:27 pm 

HKCJ,

Did you do the TMB?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:48 pm 

I did the Great Rodney Parade to Newport town centre walk after a Munster game a few years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:07 pm 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
HKCJ wrote:

Mat - have u booked Milford? If you plan on staying in huts you need to book miles in advance or else you will pay extortionate amounts to go with a tour company. I ended up missing out and doing Queen Charlotte and Routeburn instead so its still on my to do list.

Personally I wouldn't bother with Fuji unless you do it out of season.. it's a truly horrid descent anyway and with the numbers of people the whole thing is ridiculous. Get yourself some crampons, some good thermals, a warm jacket and a balaclava and just go straight up at the end of May (dont have to ski down and its icy if you do). A much more rewarding and spiritually uplifting experience. Trust me doing it in the tourist season is something I would never ever do again.

How far in advance? It's not going to be until next year at the earliest - I'm off anything serious until Dec x(

I used to be a fairly avid day walker when I lived in Wales - I climbed Snowdon at least once a month.

I'm just aiming for stuff really - I'd be interested in Fuji in May - mad but fun.

I used to live in Llanberis, but only went up Snowdon a few times - once, when doing the 'horseshoe', and a couple of times when working on the 'PYG' track. Far rather go up Carnedd Llewellyn, Tryfan or the Glyders etc... Favourite area has to be the Rhinogs though - that walk is spectacular.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:06 pm 

GiorgioXT wrote:
Let's start with Alta Via 1 , the most famous and frequented.

It starts from Lago di Braies/Pragsersee

How long would that take?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:09 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
I did the Great Rodney Parade to Newport town centre walk after a Munster game a few years ago.

:lol:

HEC game?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:11 pm 

DAC2016 wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

HEC game?

Coldest game I have ever attended, just the act of holding a pint was like some perverse Japanese game show.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:14 pm 

Some Munster lad made me swap his shirt for the Dragons one I was wearing. As I was fecking legless I said yes. It turned out the Munster top was actually a Japan international Shirt which was around 2 sizes to fecking small anyway.

Happy ending to the story is that I eventually flogged the shirt on e-bay to some poor unsuspecting lad in Salt Lake City..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:19 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
DAC2016 wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

HEC game?

Coldest game I have ever attended, just the act of holding a pint was like some perverse Japanese game show.

you missed clermont leinster in Lansdowne ...

(the Clermont fans got stranded because of the snow that fell the next days.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:55 pm 

Great walk to do is to start in corwen then up onto the berwyn ridge then the aran ridge and then over to cadair iris to finish in Aberdyfi. Offas dyke is another good one of you have a week.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:05 pm 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
HKCJ wrote:

i've climbed Taranaki 5 times. It's a very interesting climb, as it is easy, but genuinely dangerous at the same time. More people have died on that mountain that any other in NZ, including Mt Cook. It's to do with the accessibility, and then the ease with which coming down you can end up on a point with only cliffs to go down.

I guess the trick is you are fine in clear weather, but in cloud, find a guide who knows the way, or you wil be toast.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:02 pm 

Salix wrote:
Great walk to do is to start in corwen then up onto the berwyn ridge then the aran ridge and then over to cadair iris to finish in Aberdyfi. Offas dyke is another good one of you have a week.

Off to cadair idris and surrounding area for the weekend as we speak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:12 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
Salix wrote:

Are you doing any of the tarren or waun-oer?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:18 pm 

theo wrote:
GiorgioXT wrote:
Let's start with Alta Via 1 , the most famous and frequented.

It starts from Lago di Braies/Pragsersee

How long would that take?

Five full days min to a week

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:01 am 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
i've climbed Taranaki 5 times. It's a very interesting climb, as it is easy, but genuinely dangerous at the same time. More people have died on that mountain that any other in NZ, including Mt Cook. It's to do with the accessibility, and then the ease with which coming down you can end up on a point with only cliffs to go down.

I guess the trick is you are fine in clear weather, but in cloud, find a guide who knows the way, or you wil be toast.

Chur! :thumbup:

I used to climb the Cuillins and Snowdon in cloud but I'm not too proud to get assistance - getting to the top is only half the battle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:01 am 

Red Chopper wrote:
I used to live in Llanberis, but only went up Snowdon a few times - once, when doing the 'horseshoe', and a couple of times when working on the 'PYG' track. Far rather go up Carnedd Llewellyn, Tryfan or the Glyders etc... Favourite area has to be the Rhinogs though - that walk is spectacular.

Yeah, My mate lived in Bethesda so we'd often head up the Glyders and Carneddau.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:51 am 

Salix wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Salix wrote:

Are you doing any of the tarren or waun-oer?

It was a mixed ability group so we just did the horseshoe round from the lake tal y llyn? ?? Saturday was glorious up there

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:02 pm 

For visitors to mzantsi you could try this

http://www.rimofafrica.org

9 different walks

Or all stitched together into a 650km walk over 58 days

Serious trek that through stunning country

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:46 pm 

Rim of Africa looks unreal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:47 pm 

Best multi day hikes I've done,

- Julian Alps around lake Bohinj for 5 days, it was a hard slog only on the first day but pretty easy going for rest of the trip. The views up top are just breathtaking.

- Kalaw to Inle lake (Myanmar) was a 4 day hike, the terrain itself I would class as medium grade but the heat and humidity made it a harder slog, we had a great guide (robin) who really made the trip for us. he was extremely knowledgeable in in all things botanical, he introduced us to a local shaman along the way and we got to stay a night in a monastery as well. and seeing Inle lake for the first time after that 4 day slog was the perfect end to that hike.

- I spent 6 days hiking part of the Annapurna circuit in Nepal, in hindsight I wish I allowed enough time to do the whole circuit because everything about the Himalayas is on a scale you just cant see anywhere else. very hard slog but strangely it somehow got easier as each day went by. I reckon I could spend months in Nepal.
- Roraima (Venezuela) for 10 days, now this joint really is something else we spent 4 days getting to the top, then spent 4 days exploring up there and 2 days getting back. the whole area is covered with these giant flat topped maintains and each one has it's own unique flora and fauna. the heat, humidity and the never ending heavy rain make getting to the top a challenge but it's well worth the effort, it's 55 square km's of the most alien looking landscape I've ever seen (the wind and rain have carved out the most amazing rock sculptures, there are crystallized sand valleys, strange meat eating plants, frogs that don't jump and the views of your surrounds will blow you away)

If the misses ever let me I would love to do the Chardar trek in northern India (I've seen a documentry on it and even though it looks incredibly hard going and a bit dangerous, it just looks like it would be an adventure and a half)

After reading about everyone's travels I'm hanging to get out there have another go, but the arrival of little junior means that doing things like that just got little bit more complicated.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:30 am 

some nice suggestions there and congrats on the little one! I'm really working hard on getting the missus into it but whilst she loves running she doesn't seem to understand the appeal of hiking. If I hadnt met her I'm pretty sure I would have quit my job and done the PCT.

It's quite hard to limit a bucket list of hikes to a sensible number/distances and have now crossed off a lot of the very best but on my list but ones i would still to do.. Skye, GR20, Grand Canyon rim to rim, Kalalau trail in Hawaii, Milford natch, Kokoda track in PNG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:27 am 

If you want a long distance hike, here's a suggestion...

Imageadult photo sharing

The Te Araroa trail is 3000km series of trails through the North and South Island, and can be accessed form any point.

At approx 100km a week, it'd take about 30 weeks to complete through some pretty up and down country and hit at least 3 seasons of the year.

There are some great parts of the trail, eg. for a guy who wants to walk with a lady who wants to run. I'd suggest the Queen Charlotte track, accessed through Picton in the South Island: travels the first part by boat through the sounds, then walk back to Anakiwa over as many days as you like....5 is very leisurely. There are four stops along the way...all at hotels....stay the night in comfort and experience kiwi dining, and have a few bevvies. Scenery is great, and pick your weather from a long range forecast. The brochure shown breaks down walking time...some people run it, and some cycle.

At the end of the hike, head into Blenheim and get stuck into the vinyards...Marlborough wines are top shelf...your Mrs would love it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:46 am 

I did actually have a good look at that. It goes through some pretty gnarly bush with some very fcuked up river crossings. Not sure I could handle 3 NZ seasons camping unless it was summer, summer and summer. Still if time, money and gf were no object it'd be the Great himalaya trail with a guide for me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:10 am 

HKCJ wrote:
I did actually have a good look at that. It goes through some pretty gnarly bush with some very fcuked up river crossings. Not sure I could handle 3 NZ seasons camping unless it was summer, summer and summer. Still if time, money and gf were no object it'd be the Great himalaya trail with a guide for me.

:nod:

http://www.greathimalayatrails.com/the-ght-collection/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:29 am 

Got to come back to this... I talked in here a couple of years back about the GHT and it's been in the back of my mind since then, but today I've had a decent look through their website...

and wow.

Quote:
Until recently, what little the outside world knew of Dolpa was gleaned from artistic and spiritual accounts from early visitors. Peter Matthiessen’s meditative book ‘The Snow Leopard’ and Eric Valli’s stunning movie ‘Himalaya (Caravan)’ only added to the allure of this unknown land. The region was only opened to foreigners in 1989, and receives a fraction of the visitors thronging other parts of Nepal. With more trekking agencies venturing into Inner Dolpo – allowing access beyond Phoksundo Lake to the 800-year-old Shey Gompa – a truly remarkable natural and cultural experience is there for the taking (even in the monsoon!). Look out for views of mighty Dhaulagiri (8167m), once thought to be the highest mountain in the world.

The greener, southern fringes of Dolpa, the largest district in Nepal, are distinctly Hindu. But venture north past the ring of high passes intoarid Inner Dolpo, and you will encounter not only Tibetan Buddhists, but also practitioners of the ancient Bön religion, extant in just two villages. The spirituality of Dolpa is visible everywhere – legend says Dolpa is a Beyul, one of the “hidden valleys” created by Guru Rinpoche as a refuge for those of exceptionally pure mind. Today, its northern reaches are settled by Rokpa farmers and Drokpa nomads from Tibet, who are cut off from the rest of Nepal by snow for most of the year. They live in some of the highest inhabited villages on Earth, nestling amongst mountains of stark, ascetic beauty.
- See more at: http://www.greathimalayatrails.com/dest ... wR74S.dpuf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:33 am 

This thread is driving me mad. Think I've missed mt window for these big one's :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:37 am 

slick wrote:
This thread is driving me mad. Think I've missed mt window for these big one's :(

Nah. I'm 55. If I make it back from the 3 passes I'll egg you on :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:25 am 

guy smiley wrote:
slick wrote:

Nah. I'm 55. If I make it back from the 3 passes I'll egg you on :thumbup:

Yeah, i'm probably being dramatic. But I want to do it now!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:30 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
Salix wrote:

Not far from Cader is the chunk of Welsh coastal walk everyone overlooks: Ceredigion. Everyone goes on about the pembrokeshire coast but Ceredigion also has a great coastline for walking.

Someone asked about weekish long UK hikes in october with pubs along the way? I would start at Borth in Ceredigion then follow the coastal path to Cardigan. That'll take 3-4 days. You could then carry on along the Pembrokeshire section to Fishguard, which'll take another 2 days.

Along the way it'd be pretty easy to find decent places to stay which'll give you good food and beer. Harbourmaster in Aberaeron, Pentre Arms in Llangrannog, Cnapan in Newport (no, not that Newport, another one).

Obviously you won't be as manly as Guy Smiley, but you'll have a lovely time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:08 am 

Don't be hating on the hiker...

the key is to get out there and empty your head in the wilderness. Whatever personal preference for challenge, diversity or landscape you have is part of the experience. I wanted to go to the Himalaya 30 years ago and never got around to it. I feel a sense of haste now because who knows what happen to throw a damper on my ability? If anything I've a sense of failure for not going way back then... and now, having had a taste I'm hooked and slightly in awe of it all but it's not about a competition. I like mountains, someone else might like the desert, etc...

I think hiking will be part of my life for years. I hope so.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:01 pm 

guy smiley wrote:
Don't be hating on the hiker...

the key is to get out there and empty your head in the wilderness. Whatever personal preference for challenge, diversity or landscape you have is part of the experience. I wanted to go to the Himalaya 30 years ago and never got around to it. I feel a sense of haste now because who knows what happen to throw a damper on my ability? If anything I've a sense of failure for not going way back then... and now, having had a taste I'm hooked and slightly in awe of it all but it's not about a competition. I like mountains, someone else might like the desert, etc...

I think hiking will be part of my life for years. I hope so.

No hating intended. I'm in awe of what you have planned.

I did some (much smaller scale) hiking and trekking in asia in my twenties adventurino days. Sadly not the Himalayas. I'll go there when life allows. For now, there's still pleasure to be had in being able to leave the house with a backpack and getting into the (relative) wild for a few days.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:42 am 

guy smiley wrote:

So, I made it back home to Fremantle unbroken from this trek and thanks for all the 'concern'...

I didn't complete the Three Passes and I'm philosophical about that. Basically, we kicked off by getting on the piss ridiculously the night before flying out of Perth and I was hungover still on reaching Kathmandu the next night. We had two nights there and flew to Lukla on Wed the 5th Oct... flights were delayed due to weather in the mountains so the airport was a surreal scene full of anxious travellers, gung ho European guides and f**king tour groups... the worst are the Japanese and Chinese but in my mind, any group is bad news. That didn't improve over coming days. After taking off about 3 hrs late we hopped around the ridge lines in heavy cloud, circled for a while and suddenly we were on the runway, no time to shit ourselves about Lukla.

We took off and started walking straight off the plane, nothing to see or hold us there. That first day was a shock to the system as I like to avoid training and go in cold. We got to Phakding and stopped for the night. There was a Japanese guy with a 2yr old son and guide staying there... wearing a Sherlock Holmes style hat and smoking a glorious pipe outside with his tea. Next morning he made filter coffee over breakfast. I was impressed.

We walked to Namche Bazaar on the second day... 800m elevation gain. It's a savage climb into Namche including the double swing bridge, a new one higher than an older one which must be over 100m up in the gorge... that was fun. Getting into Namche was excruciating but we got there, found a decent hotel and took a rest day to acclimatise to altitude. It's a bit rude being only two days in and having to do that... anyway, we walked over to Khumding the next day, looked around... all that.

Third day walking we got to Tengboche... another day of hard climbing but legs coming good and lungs not far behind. That night I felt a little bit of grumble bum... you know, the edge of the fully liquid fart. That's not a good thing to be feeling at 3900m faced with 2 weeks of altitude to come...

4th day of walking we got to Dengboche and I only just made it to the latrines. Hotel full of loud Germans. Not fun.

5th day we got to Chukhung... It took us 3 1/2 hrs, I was that crook. Had to stop trackside and... use some toilet paper. It wasn't a good day, the wind was biting cold, we really should have got there in an hour and half. I was f**ked.

Stayed at Chukhung for 3 nights. Originally planned two.... it's at 4700m and the first of the three passes, Kongma La is after here and it's an 800m climb to get up there so we planned an acclimatisation hike up Chukhung Ri to 5500m from here. I had to spend an extra day though eating plain rice and chicken soup, worrying about my energy levels. I had a go at the side hike and had to give up... on the second day there I made it up to 5500m but gave up on Chukhung Tse at 5800, just wasn't strong enough and the ridgeline up there looked badly exposed... and I'm afraid of heights. I'd also started coughing hard... caught a cold as well as the shits and the cough was worrying.

On the way down from there I decided to try and find a porter to carry my pack to the pass summit... I thought I was too weak to manage it. Got that sorted and on the 9th day we headed out and crossed Kongma La. It was absolutely savage :lol: seriously... holy crapburgers. It starts out reasonably steep and Just. Gets. Steeper. The last 200m or so was mostly near vertical... so steep the path was a hand stretch in front of your eyes. The last 50m was practically a vertical scramble up loose rock :lol: Every time I stopped for breath and looked around for the view I had to spin back and hold onto the mountain for vertigo. It was insane. The top section was beautiful.... there are lakes on the last plateau, the sky was cloudless, there were snow clad peaks all around, the lakes sparkling like crushed diamonds... incredible to be there and in only 7 days walking from Lukla airport.

The descent was worse. Straight out of hell. We could see Lobuche from the summit, just 4-5 km away and 700m below us, we could see helicopters taking off clearly. The climb down was 6-700 straight down loose rock with snow cover at the top obscuring the gaps and holes. I had taken over my pack again and the added weight was a real problem. once down off that there was a walk to the moraine of the Khumbu glacier and a crossing to Lobuche... that was awful. The moraine is 30-50m high, the glacier is underneath all the debris so it took almost 2 hours to pick our way through listening to rockfalls and movement all the way... a long day at about 10 hrs all up, I think.

10th day we walked Lobuche to Gorakshep. My coughing had become serious... really hacking from deep in the chest. It's not good at altitude... by the time we got to Gorak Shep I'd decided i was heading down in the morning and giving up the Three Passes. We were arguing and not getting on... it wasn't a good time. So Lucy took off to catch up with a group we'd been meeting and chatting with to carry on with them. I had a fat lunch of yak pattie and chips :nod: and then walked up Kala Patthar, another 400m up behind GorakShep for the views of Everest. I topped out up there at 5630m.... and enjoyed flawless blue sky over the mountain. Amazing... absolutely amazing experience to be mere kilometres from the mountain, so close I could make out the south summit, the Khumbu Icefall... all of it, right there. I'm very happy to have done that... and coughing my ring out too.

Next morning set the scene for the next three... I was lazy, got going about 0830 and set fire to the trail descending as fast as I could to outrun the f**king Israelis who really are wrong in so many ways... I got to Pheriche that night, saw the doctor there about my chest, Namche next night, Phakding next night because I was too tired to be arsed dealing with the last climb into Lukla so got there about 1030 next morning, presented my ticket and was on a plane in an hour to Kathmandu... plane to myself :lol:

From there I went to Pokhara for a few days, got on the piss with Lucy again, took off and trekked 4 days up around Tadapani, Ghandruk and Chomrong but soon got sick of climbing after a 900m day and scorched back out to Pokhara and a few days R&R before getting out.

Got really fit. Lost about 5-6kg. Proved I can cover a lot of ground in a hurry when i'm fit but I prefer to soak up the vibe when there's no Israeli's around... or people with trekking poles.

I fuggen hate trekking poles.
size: show

size: show

Edited for Seneca's paragraph fetish.

Last edited by guy smiley on Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:36 am 

Fok you and Trekking poles ;)

Fair play mate - I'm still busted and using the "trekking pole" as a walking stick - anything longer than 1Km is a bridge too far. Serious effort there!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next