Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:13 am 

Currently lying in my tent with the rain pissing down and forecast to rain all day. A small price to pay however for yesterday which was the best days hike I think I’ve ever done. After an initialeasy 15k warm up on Thursday around Rubha Hunish where we got soaked we had far too many beers in the Flodigarry Hotel and set off late at about 9am.. walked the entire Trotternish ridge with a couple of stops on the way and barely a cloud in the sky. The views were just incredible. Has to be the best day of hiking you can do if you get good weather. Quite a few tourists around the Quiraing but once we were past that we didn’t see a soul. Saw a golden eagle and a sea eagle cruising around. Took a detour off to get a better view of Old Man of Storr. Got to campsite in Portree too exhausted to go for dinner.. the Garmin says 4500 calories and 37k so am off for a massive fcuking fry up.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:44 am 

Nice!

My parents lived on Skye and i have been there sometimes for 3 weeks of solid rain, apart from the glorious sunshine the day you leave.....

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:07 am 

Well have finished the trail and now sat in Broadford with a breakfast bap. Rest of the trail was pretty easy compared to Trotternish ridge but we had a fair bit of cloud and rain at night but days stayed dry at least. Could have done it in 4 days but we just found a nice spot last night and decided to give ourselves a wee walk out to Broadford through the ruins of the highland clearances.. very brooding and atmospheric. A great hike all in all and would recommend above West Highland Way.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:24 am 

HKCJ wrote:
Well have finished the trail and now sat in Broadford with a breakfast bap. Rest of the trail was pretty easy compared to Trotternish ridge but we had a fair bit of cloud and rain at night but days stayed dry at least. Could have done it in 4 days but we just found a nice spot last night and decided to give ourselves a wee walk out to Broadford through the ruins of the highland clearances.. very brooding and atmospheric. A great hike all in all and would recommend above West Highland Way.

That's interesting, was planning to that next year but I'll have a look at this one.

Ochils for a day was very nice!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:15 am 

HKCJ -

What shoes are you wearing on this jaunt?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:34 am 

Got to say there are some impressive tales here. The best I can do is yomping down railway tracks in the Peak District and with my mum in Jersey and Guernsey. She left me for dead!

My brother is the hiker. He's done the East-West trail and has hiked all around England, Wales and Scotland.

He's going to Ireland this year, not sure of the itinerary.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:38 am 

Monk Zombie wrote:
HKCJ -

And are you wearing underwear?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:02 pm 

Monk Zombie wrote:
HKCJ -

:lol: I presume this is alluding to the Hobbit story when I was hiking in NZ.. I had forgotten about that.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:05 pm 

slick wrote:
HKCJ wrote:

That's interesting, was planning to that next year but I'll have a look at this one.

WHW is a great hike don’t get me wrong but I thought this was a bit more spectacular but that could have been the weather. A lot of variety too.. ridge walking, valleys, coastal

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:26 pm 

I did hitch hike from Greece to Norwich, but not sure if that counts.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:33 pm 

tabascoboy wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Zakar wrote:
I live hiking but have done piss all since I've been here. I'd like to do an overnight in August. Any recommendations? Literally anywhere in Europe is fine.

Just in the uk there are loads. Pennine, coast to coast, West Highland way, Pembrokeshire coastal. Depends on your time/level.

The most spectacular I've done was more climbing orientated and included les dents du midi and mont blanc. Unbelievable. There's some decent stuff in the dolomites and the pyrenees outside the alps.

The 'pilgrimage' to santiaga De compostella was notable as much for the food as the hiking

And the Julian Alps of Slovenia.

just came across this thread,,,,,anyone done anything around the above ? I'm looking for something in Europe around September for say 4 days hiking - maybe 20 kms a day type stuff ; cheers

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:55 pm 

HKCJ wrote:
slick wrote:
HKCJ wrote:

WHW is a great hike don’t get me wrong but I thought this was a bit more spectacular but that could have been the weather. A lot of variety too.. ridge walking, valleys, coastal

Keep your eyes open for a lost camera

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... tures.html

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:08 pm 

Mr Mike wrote:
HKCJ wrote:
slick wrote:
HKCJ wrote:

:lol: the mate I was hiking with sent me that.. we were laughing cos we did actually have a 21 year old French girl ask to join us for lunch at Sligachan hotel and fair to say she was a very flirtatious young thing we both became very big fans of and he would happily go back to scan for pictures of her. She actually scribbled down where she works in Edinburgh and told me to come for a free drink. I thankfully accepted and surreptitiously put it in a bin. It was a good boost to the ego but explaining to the fiancé the harmless note in the pocket not worth the hassle!

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:17 pm 

Hiked the Arctic Circle Trail last summer. Really enjoyed it. Probably won't do anything big this summer but was thinking of maybe a hike in Scotland for a few days. Maybe with the wife...so something easy enough. Any recommendations??

Maybe a 2/3 day hike doable? Preferably with somewhere to stay on the way rather than camping. She will do a night in the tent but more that that is a hard sell...

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:12 am 

HKCJ wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
HKCJ wrote:
slick wrote:
HKCJ wrote:

:lol: the mate I was hiking with sent me that.. we were laughing cos we did actually have a 21 year old French girl ask to join us for lunch at Sligachan hotel and fair to say she was a very flirtatious young thing we both became very big fans of and he would happily go back to scan for pictures of her. She actually scribbled down where she works in Edinburgh and told me to come for a free drink. I thankfully accepted and surreptitiously put it in a bin. It was a good boost to the ego but explaining to the fiancé the harmless note in the pocket not worth the hassle!

Not out north Berwick way is it by any chance?

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:33 pm 

Nah pub in the grass market

Shabadoo - plenty of great day hikes from Glencoe

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:37 pm 

Any Irish hikers out there?
Going to start doing it myself, or at least I intend to, and could do with some decent trails where I wont end up snapping both my ankles alone on some blustery mountain.
I'm a total beginner.

I intend to do some of the more "intermediate" trails around Glendalough, but that's it.
I love the landscape around Wicklow and for now that's the realisitic furthest out I can get from Dublin.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:38 pm 

HKCJ wrote:
Nah pub in the grass market

Shabadoo - plenty of great day hikes from Glencoe

Burke and Hare it is then!!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:39 am 

These hiking trips you guys do. Just wondering if you have to carry your food or if there are places to stay along the journey, pubs etc that provide accommodation and food. Most of my hiking has been in NZ bush where you have to lug in your own food and cooking gear. Not having to carry that would be convenient. I trekked in the Anapurna region in Nepal where eating and staying in teahouses was very convenient. Just curious about these walks in Europe and the UK.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:48 am 

booji boy wrote:
These hiking trips you guys do. Just wondering if you have to carry your food or if there are places to stay along the journey, pubs etc that provide accommodation and food. Most of my hiking has been in NZ bush where you have to lug in your own food and cooking gear. Not having to carry that would be convenient. I trekked in the Anapurna region in Nepal where eating and staying in teahouses was very convenient. Just curious about these walks in Europe and the UK.

In my experience in the UK and Europe you don't really need to carry anything food wise beyond snacks for lots of hikes. Naturally, it depends on the hike, as some will end in a hut etc, or need full camping equipment.

It's less 'hard core' but still deeply satisfying having a Pint and pub feed after a full days walk, compared to setting up a fire/stove to cook. Both have their merits. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:52 am 

Zakar wrote:
booji boy wrote:

In my experience in the UK and Europe you don't really need to carry anything food wise beyond snacks for lots of hikes. Naturally, it depends on the hike, as some will end in a hut etc, or need full camping equipment.

It's less 'hard core' but still deeply satisfying having a Pint and pub feed after a full days walk, compared to setting up a fire/stove to cook. Both have their merits. :thumbup:

Absolutely agree. It's actually very appealing. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:17 am 

Depends on where you go. Personally I prefer to avoid hut/refuge meals and the like and have a good feed at the end to celebrate!

Typically breakfast is something like oats, watered down condensed milk and a cuppa. Lunch and dinner are one of dehydrated meal and cuppa, or bread wrap and dried meat and cheese. Supplement with dried fruits and Studentenfutter/trailmix/scroggin. Also, Kool-aid type powder drinks can be a good break from water/tea and boost moral/electrolytes when needed. Powder soups also.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:47 am 

Not strictly hiking related but my mate is doing 7 weeks kayaking around Svalbard.

He's dehydrating his arse off to make enough food for 2 people

:lol:

I am looking at getting back into hiking now my Ankle is fixed.

Tassie and NZ first - but definitely, a pub at the end kind of hike

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:49 am 

Mini-KG is walking part of Annapurna (Nepal) national park in December this year.

Any ‘Gotcha’s’ from anyone that has done (things to know - do or avoid).

Thanks, greg

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:14 am 

kiwigreg369 wrote:
Mini-KG is walking part of Annapurna (Nepal) national park in December this year.

Thanks, greg

The Annapurna circuit gets most of the press, but Annapurna Base Camp is one of the best treks you can do, you end up inside the basin, surrounded 360 by these massive mountains. You need to be there to see the sunrise, it's awe-inspiring. Go up the valley on the western side, cross to the east as high up as you can to avoid a flat walk then near vertical climb - it's a lot more gradual on the west. Above the tree line it's a serious avalanche risk, cross the danger zones before 10am. It's pretty well advertised, but there have been tragedies there.
There is a short trek to Poon hill for some good views of the mountains as well, but the trek is a bit meh, it's much better taking the time to get to base camp if possible.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:33 am 

kiwigreg369 wrote:

Thanks, greg

There's two main angles of attack with Annapurna Greg,

the full Annapurna Circuit (AC) or the Annapurna Base Camp (ABC)...

ABC is shorter and closer to Pokhara, a gorgeous little town that is an integral part of trekking there. The ABC trek heads into the southern side of the Annapurna range, following a valley up into a sort of bowl surrounded by the peaks of the western end of the range. It's a shorter walk, probably something like 11 days return from Pokhara. I've not done the whole thing, only wandered up to a village called Chomrong about 2 days from the actual ABC itself.

The AC is a different beast and was a full 21 day trek back in the day. Altitude is a major factor on that trek as you head up to and over the Thorung La, at 5416m a serious pass.

Both treks start in the lowlands, or middle hills and will be pretty temperate to begin at that time of year. Accommodation is in 'teahouses'... basic lodges with small rooms and a communal dining area. There is no need to carry food other than snacks. Breakfast, start walking, stop for lunch at a teahouse, walk again and stop somewhere that looks inviting about where you want to be at the end of each day. There are maps and guides with decent schedules readily available. Daily budget for two of us in 2014 before peak season really took off was about USD18 per day. We travelled basic, no frills.

December is a risky time to be contemplating the high passes of Nepal as winter is setting in and snowfall at altitude is no fun. A month after we crossed Thorung La a storm swept up the 'wrong side' of the mountains, coming in from the west of the pass. 42 people died including Nepali guides and porters, lost in heavy snow. I read one harrowing account from a bloke who was caught on the savage little climb to High Camp before the pass proper, he described hearing rocks falling around them as they tried to make their way up a very steep slope in deepening snow. I seriously suggest careful research about weather and trekking in December in Nepal generally and the high pass treks especially.

The ABC trek is still exposed but doesn't get to that extreme altitude.

Acclimatising to the thin air is essential. A rest day at 3500m should be taken to allow the body time to adjust. Hiking higher that day is ok but returning to 3500m to sleep is the go. From there, advancing more than 3-500m vertical per day is the safe limit for casual trekkers. That said, the normal timeframe for Thorung La is 3 days from Manang at 3500... the vertical advance is demanding on those days and looking back I'm sure I was struggling with mild altitude sickness on the last day, having slept at 4900m 2 days after leaving Manang. Up and over the pass sees you rapidly descend which is no problem... but altitude sickness is a real hazard and demands sensible managing.

Take a water purifier and avoid buying water everywhere. Plastic litter is a nightmare in the parks and litre bottles weight a shitload on top of your gear. I use a 'Steripen', battery powered UV light wand that effectively sterilises a litre in 90seconds. One of those and a solar powered recharger for batteries / phone / camera is the go. Keeping all batteries warm in the really cold weather stops them dying so they all go inside the sleeping bag in a seperate wet bag at night and stay buried somewhere warm until the day isn't freezing.

Happy to offer more advice if needed. It's a fantastic place, mindblowing, amazing...but care is needed.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:13 am 

Thank you both - noted both sets of comments and will use to ask him more.

He's going with these guys - https://antipodeans.com.au/nepal

ABC is target i believe - +4000m.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:23 am 

kiwigreg369 wrote:

Thanks, greg

Did it a few years ago, a couple of quick tips: I would get the jeep to Tal and not start at Bette Sahar (sp?) as you'll spend 2 days hiking up a dirt road as vehicles fly past- pretty unpleasant. To absolutely avoid altitude sickness, my guide book specifically advised staying a night at Ngawal as well as the standard 2 in Manang. A personal one, spend the last night at high camp and not at Throng La as the opening part of the walk i pretty unpleasant and it's better to get it out of the way as you finish the last day.

Other few tips: never pay for a room, always say you'll eat there and they'll give you it for free; make sure to check out the mountain themed movies in Manang; stay at the Bob Marley hotel once you're over the top; spend a night in Tato Pani (sp?) and check out the hot springs (although night time as the village use them as a communal bath during the day); and, do not accept a fellow travelers' joint above 3000m!

I would also chuck Poon Hill on the end of the trek if he's feeling up to it!

Also, for about $70 USD, spend a couple of nights at Temple Tree, Pokhara after- just the recovery ticket!

One of the best things I've done in my life (though it will, at times, not feel like that), he'll enjoy it!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:40 am 

Good advice about the Jeep to Tal from Caley Red. Definitely second that.contrary to Turbo I thought Poon Hill was better views than ABC base camp. Sunrise trek definitely worth it. Just shows everyone has a different take. I see he already has a company which probably gives you better peace of mind as it’s Ozzie I Guess but the trekking companies in Kathmandu are a fraction of the price and it’s the same porters and guides ultimately. If he is offered to drink millet with the locals it’s a fun thing to do but can give you a pretty decent hangover which at altitude is never great. Always ask before taking any pictures of the locals.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:45 am 

HKCJ wrote:
Good advice about the Jeep to Tal from Caley Red. Definitely second that.contrary to Turbo I thought Poon Hill was better views than ABC base camp. Sunrise trek definitely worth it. Just shows everyone has a different take. I see he already has a company which probably gives you better peace of mind as it’s Ozzie I Guess but the trekking companies in Kathmandu are a fraction of the price and it’s the same porters and guides ultimately. If he is offered to drink millet with the locals it’s a fun thing to do but can give you a pretty decent hangover which at altitude is never great. Always ask before taking any pictures of the locals.

Thank you both - just to confirm he'll be 16 in Dec.
Good reads.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:50 am 

kiwigreg369 wrote:
HKCJ wrote:

Good reads.

Ah ok then the hangovers probably don’t apply. Masturbating at altitude is highly tiring and there’s a distinct lack of Kleenex over 3500m

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:53 am 

HKCJ wrote:
kiwigreg369 wrote:
HKCJ wrote:

Good reads.

Ah ok then the hangovers probably don’t apply. Masturbating at altitude is highly tiring and there’s a distinct lack of Kleenex over 3500m

I'd give the hash a miss in that case as well :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:10 am 

kiwigreg369 wrote:
HKCJ wrote:

Good reads.

And avoid drinking the local water at all costs. I was pretty careful and fine whilst trekking but once back in Pokhara I got careless, not sure how, maybe just brushing my teeth using tap water instead of bottled water. Anyway it resulted in a bout of giardia. x( Pretty unpleasant! :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:21 am 

HKCJ wrote:

The trail from Besisahar to Tal was over run when they constructed the road but some dedicated work has seen the trail reinstated on the other side of the valley, over the river... from Bahundunda onwards it's ok walking. I went through there in 2014 and we weren't bothered by traffic until we'd got up to Danakyu.

It could well be worse now, progress can be pretty rapid with the roads and I met some Germans on the Everest trek in 2016 who had sworn off going anywhere near the Annapurna region after many years of repeated trips because of it.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:26 am 

I missed my stop on the train once when drunk and had to walk from Otahuhu to Mt Wellington.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:52 pm 

Ultralight gear list. Anyone is takes more stuff than this is ghey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-coZM7 ... ySZ4AaABAg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:18 pm 

Okay, not quite long distance but doing the Snowdon horseshoe this weekend and for a change the weather looks like I might be able to see something from the summit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:02 pm 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
Ultralight gear list. Anyone is takes more stuff than this is ghey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-coZM7 ... ySZ4AaABAg

Try getting away with that in mid June in Scotland when it starts snowing. I always carry way too much stuff (am usually around 13-15kg for a week away) but I'd much rather have it than not. A kindle for example is a necessity for me. I have made a few concessions over the years.. I've gone from a Trangia to a Jetboil which has made quite a difference.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:15 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
Okay, not quite long distance but doing the Snowdon horseshoe this weekend and for a change the weather looks like I might be able to see something from the summit.

About 12k and between 5 and 6 hours if I remember correctly.
The views if clear are spectacular. Wouldn't want to do it in icy or windy conditions mind you

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:17 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:

Crib goch's no fun if you can see and it's not snowing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next