Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7229
Location: Sinkers
I'm doing the Yorkshire three peaks on Saturday. On my stag do so likely dressed as a gimp after a Friday night out in Blackpool. I'm feckin terrified.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1130
Off for a stroll down the Speyside way in a couple of weeks. Good excuse to work through the Whiskies in the Craigellachie Hotel and pop into as many distillery’s as we can muster.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20816
HKCJ wrote:
I'm doing the Yorkshire three peaks on Saturday. On my stag do so likely dressed as a gimp after a Friday night out in Blackpool. I'm feckin terrified.

Jesus, your poor head.

That's a decent day's walk when sober


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:02 pm
Posts: 365
Walked from Dinas to Corwen across the Aran and Berwyn mountains. Great walk.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6004
HKCJ wrote:
I'm doing the Yorkshire three peaks on Saturday. On my stag do so likely dressed as a gimp after a Friday night out in Blackpool. I'm feckin terrified.


which way walking?

if can time it right get the train. It feels and sounds like a cheat, in reality you just miss out a boring flat slog.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11026
Location: Mostly London........Mostly
SaintK wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Okay, not quite long distance but doing the Snowdon horseshoe this weekend and for a change the weather looks like I might be able to see something from the summit.

About 12k and between 5 and 6 hours if I remember correctly.
The views if clear are spectacular. Wouldn't want to do it in icy or windy conditions mind you


I was at school in that neck of the woods so have spent years scrambling all over Snowdonia in all conditions, character building and all that! Will have the wife in tow so hopefully conditions will stay nice. Will try and sneak Tryfan on Sunday morning if I am not too hungover.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7229
Location: Sinkers
frillage wrote:
HKCJ wrote:
I'm doing the Yorkshire three peaks on Saturday. On my stag do so likely dressed as a gimp after a Friday night out in Blackpool. I'm feckin terrified.


which way walking?

if can time it right get the train. It feels and sounds like a cheat, in reality you just miss out a boring flat slog.


HH - and I have a feeling a mutual Friend of ours will very much want to take his revenge after his stag in Thailand a few years back. :(

I have no idea to be honest.. best man is in charge of it all. Half the group will probably stay in the pub. I think we have a coach so maybe we are missing out the slog by taking he coach.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 33341
I will be walking a section of the Essex Way this weekend. Beat that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6004
HKCJ wrote:
frillage wrote:
HKCJ wrote:
I'm doing the Yorkshire three peaks on Saturday. On my stag do so likely dressed as a gimp after a Friday night out in Blackpool. I'm feckin terrified.


which way walking?

if can time it right get the train. It feels and sounds like a cheat, in reality you just miss out a boring flat slog.


HH - and I have a feeling a mutual Friend of ours will very much want to take his revenge after his stag in Thailand a few years back. :(

I have no idea to be honest.. best man is in charge of it all. Half the group will probably stay in the pub. I think we have a coach so maybe we are missing out the slog by taking he coach.


Would advise missing it, unless the distance walked and time do it in is relevant to the group. Would really say pull a cramp just after pen-y-Ghent with best man, send the rest ahead saying you will catch up on the road to Whernside you just need to stretch it. Jump a train and be sitting at the foot of Whernside smoking a fag and drinking a beer by time the rest get there (You would need to confirm traintimes they don’t run all time, think it is a spur off the settle Carlisle railway iirc, but think peak summer they run)

There are 2 ways, but Pen-y-Gent, Whernside, Ingleborough definitely the better way.
The short sharp bounce up P-y-G will blow cobwebs away and gets the slog between there and Whernside out way early in day if you do walk it.
If you Start up ingleborough and it’s a long slow tramp up the first peak, but that is a nice gentle descent to finish with to take in scenery the other way.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 4010
happyhooker wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Okay, not quite long distance but doing the Snowdon horseshoe this weekend and for a change the weather looks like I might be able to see something from the summit.

Crib goch's no fun if you can see and it's not snowing.


Despite having lived one Mountain along, I've never actually done it due to the weather not cooperating on days I climbed

The last time I was there, my ankle was still to weak to risk it

:blush:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20816
HKCJ wrote:
frillage wrote:
HKCJ wrote:
I'm doing the Yorkshire three peaks on Saturday. On my stag do so likely dressed as a gimp after a Friday night out in Blackpool. I'm feckin terrified.


which way walking?

if can time it right get the train. It feels and sounds like a cheat, in reality you just miss out a boring flat slog.


HH - and I have a feeling a mutual Friend of ours will very much want to take his revenge after his stag in Thailand a few years back. :(

I have no idea to be honest.. best man is in charge of it all. Half the group will probably stay in the pub. I think we have a coach so maybe we are missing out the slog by taking he coach.

Oh you poor cûnt. Mike will make you suffer.

Say hi from me


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7229
Location: Sinkers
He did indeed make me suffer over the course of the weekend. Only ended up doing one peak though in the end as we actually had to drive from Blackpool then when we got there it was some 3 Peaks charity event so there was literally hundreds of other walkers and not exactly the peace and solitude we were after. Managed a decent amount of Jura on the way round but declined the offer of doing a yard in the Old Hill Inn. I'm gonna sound like the Harry Enfield character who says everything is better in Scotland but there is no doubt that our countryside makes those wee English hills look pretty piddly.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11026
Location: Mostly London........Mostly
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Okay, not quite long distance but doing the Snowdon horseshoe this weekend and for a change the weather looks like I might be able to see something from the summit.

Crib goch's no fun if you can see and it's not snowing.


Despite having lived one Mountain along, I've never actually done it due to the weather not cooperating on days I climbed

The last time I was there, my ankle was still to weak to risk it

:blush:

It was carnage in the mountains this weekend with progress even along Crib Goch being painfully slow due to sheer numbers. The summit of Snowdon was like the sermon on the mount, there were hundreds of people, mostly 'charadee' walkers clogging up the place and flying drones all over the place. There would have been more solitude at Liverpool St station on Monday morning.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7229
Location: Sinkers
sounds like you had a similar experience to us Danny. I'm not knocking these charity walkers, good for them getting out and all that but fk me some of them were hilarious they take it so seriously. Energy gels, putting compeeds on blisters like they were doing the MDS, stopping every few kms.. I mean its not even a marathon.. and you're walking. Think they were a bit annoyed as our stag group dressed as Snow White and dwarves overtook most of them swigging cans of Asahi.

Anyway I shall stick to walking up here in future. Even in touristy areas like Glencoe you never get scenes like that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20816
danny_fitz wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Okay, not quite long distance but doing the Snowdon horseshoe this weekend and for a change the weather looks like I might be able to see something from the summit.

Crib goch's no fun if you can see and it's not snowing.


Despite having lived one Mountain along, I've never actually done it due to the weather not cooperating on days I climbed

The last time I was there, my ankle was still to weak to risk it

:blush:

It was carnage in the mountains this weekend with progress even along Crib Goch being painfully slow due to sheer numbers. The summit of Snowdon was like the sermon on the mount, there were hundreds of people, mostly 'charadee' walkers clogging up the place and flying drones all over the place. There would have been more solitude at Liverpool St station on Monday morning.

Snowdon is a pain nowadays unless it's poor weather (which I quite enjoy)

Did you manage tryfan? Cader Idris was quite empty last time I went up it.

But yeah, hkcj the peaks and certain of the wainrights are often too busy for fun nowadays


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11026
Location: Mostly London........Mostly
HKCJ wrote:
sounds like you had a similar experience to us Danny. I'm not knocking these charity walkers, good for them getting out and all that but fk me some of them were hilarious they take it so seriously. Energy gels, putting compeeds on blisters like they were doing the MDS, stopping every few kms.. I mean its not even a marathon.. and you're walking. Think they were a bit annoyed as our stag group dressed as Snow White and dwarves overtook most of them swigging cans of Asahi.

Anyway I shall stick to walking up here in future. Even in touristy areas like Glencoe you never get scenes like that.


I ended up picking up about a dozen of those empty energy gel packs off the path, scumbags.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11026
Location: Mostly London........Mostly
happyhooker wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Okay, not quite long distance but doing the Snowdon horseshoe this weekend and for a change the weather looks like I might be able to see something from the summit.

Crib goch's no fun if you can see and it's not snowing.


Despite having lived one Mountain along, I've never actually done it due to the weather not cooperating on days I climbed

The last time I was there, my ankle was still to weak to risk it

:blush:

It was carnage in the mountains this weekend with progress even along Crib Goch being painfully slow due to sheer numbers. The summit of Snowdon was like the sermon on the mount, there were hundreds of people, mostly 'charadee' walkers clogging up the place and flying drones all over the place. There would have been more solitude at Liverpool St station on Monday morning.

Snowdon is a pain nowadays unless it's poor weather (which I quite enjoy)

Did you manage tryfan? Cader Idris was quite empty last time I went up it.

But yeah, hkcj the peaks and certain of the wainrights are often too busy for fun nowadays


We had Tryfan pencilled in for Sunday but the wife was stiff as board after the horseshoe and didn't fancy it which was a shame.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 4010
danny_fitz wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Okay, not quite long distance but doing the Snowdon horseshoe this weekend and for a change the weather looks like I might be able to see something from the summit.

Crib goch's no fun if you can see and it's not snowing.


Despite having lived one Mountain along, I've never actually done it due to the weather not cooperating on days I climbed

The last time I was there, my ankle was still to weak to risk it

:blush:

It was carnage in the mountains this weekend with progress even along Crib Goch being painfully slow due to sheer numbers. The summit of Snowdon was like the sermon on the mount, there were hundreds of people, mostly 'charadee' walkers clogging up the place and flying drones all over the place. There would have been more solitude at Liverpool St station on Monday morning.


Where do you go to school? Friars?

Mate of mine just did a charity thing - up and down 6 of the paths in 12 hours

He's nuts


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7573
HKCJ wrote:
Currently lying in my tent with the rain pissing down and forecast to rain all day. A small price to pay however for yesterday which was the best days hike I think I’ve ever done. After an initialeasy 15k warm up on Thursday around Rubha Hunish where we got soaked we had far too many beers in the Flodigarry Hotel and set off late at about 9am.. walked the entire Trotternish ridge with a couple of stops on the way and barely a cloud in the sky. The views were just incredible. Has to be the best day of hiking you can do if you get good weather. Quite a few tourists around the Quiraing but once we were past that we didn’t see a soul. Saw a golden eagle and a sea eagle cruising around. Took a detour off to get a better view of Old Man of Storr. Got to campsite in Portree too exhausted to go for dinner.. the Garmin says 4500 calories and 37k so am off for a massive fcuking fry up.


HKCJ, I meant to ask you a bit more about this. I remember you saying earlier that you were more of a hiking man than a balancing on one toe across a tiny ridge type. Was this not fairly brutal in places? After my experience on Bidean (not enjoying some of the heights) I've decided not to put myself through that all again if I can avoid it but obviously still want to get up the hills.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11026
Location: Mostly London........Mostly
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Okay, not quite long distance but doing the Snowdon horseshoe this weekend and for a change the weather looks like I might be able to see something from the summit.

Crib goch's no fun if you can see and it's not snowing.


Despite having lived one Mountain along, I've never actually done it due to the weather not cooperating on days I climbed

The last time I was there, my ankle was still to weak to risk it

:blush:

It was carnage in the mountains this weekend with progress even along Crib Goch being painfully slow due to sheer numbers. The summit of Snowdon was like the sermon on the mount, there were hundreds of people, mostly 'charadee' walkers clogging up the place and flying drones all over the place. There would have been more solitude at Liverpool St station on Monday morning.


Where do you go to school? Friars?

Mate of mine just did a charity thing - up and down 6 of the paths in 12 hours

He's nuts


St Davids in Llandudno, so spent my formative years crawling around in caves, multi pitch climbing, canoeing, sailing and generally 'enjoying' the outdoors. In hindsight it was mental what the staff were getting us to do in the mountains in the middle of winter, sleeping in snowholes and iceaxe work, all character building I guess.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11026
Location: Mostly London........Mostly
HKCJ wrote:
. the Garmin says 4500 calories and 37k so am off for a massive fcuking fry up.

[/quote]

That the problem with 'calories burned' measurements , I use it as a target for how much I can eat and drink afterwards. Burned 5300 calories at Reading the regatta the other week which roughly translated into a very large curry and a skinful of pints!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 4010
danny_fitz wrote:

St Davids in Llandudno, so spent my formative years crawling around in caves, multi pitch climbing, canoeing, sailing and generally 'enjoying' the outdoors. In hindsight it was mental what the staff were getting us to do in the mountains in the middle of winter, sleeping in snowholes and iceaxe work, all character building I guess.


Ah, Clwyd then :lol:

Yep - we used to go into the old Copper mines without supervision :? :shock:

Great place as a teenager though


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7229
Location: Sinkers
slick wrote:
HKCJ wrote:
Currently lying in my tent with the rain pissing down and forecast to rain all day. A small price to pay however for yesterday which was the best days hike I think I’ve ever done. After an initialeasy 15k warm up on Thursday around Rubha Hunish where we got soaked we had far too many beers in the Flodigarry Hotel and set off late at about 9am.. walked the entire Trotternish ridge with a couple of stops on the way and barely a cloud in the sky. The views were just incredible. Has to be the best day of hiking you can do if you get good weather. Quite a few tourists around the Quiraing but once we were past that we didn’t see a soul. Saw a golden eagle and a sea eagle cruising around. Took a detour off to get a better view of Old Man of Storr. Got to campsite in Portree too exhausted to go for dinner.. the Garmin says 4500 calories and 37k so am off for a massive fcuking fry up.


HKCJ, I meant to ask you a bit more about this. I remember you saying earlier that you were more of a hiking man than a balancing on one toe across a tiny ridge type. Was this not fairly brutal in places? After my experience on Bidean (not enjoying some of the heights) I've decided not to put myself through that all again if I can avoid it but obviously still want to get up the hills.



No it was fine. Trotternish ridge is a different beast to the Cuillin ridge. I mean my mate was going right up to the cliff edges and leaning right over whilst I crawled up to them on my hands and knees to have a peak. I’m not great with ledges but I guess I could be worse. With the trotternish ridge there is only a drop on one side so you can stay quite a way from it easily enough. As far as I know the only really tricky bit is the ‘Bad Step’ on the trail which you can see videos of online. I wouldn’t fancy doing that when it’s wet but you can easily take an alternative route to avoid it like we did. Oh there was a pretty daunting couple of km just after the Camasunary bothy if you are walking South. It is a coastal path and was pretty scary in places but thankfully it was only for half an hour. The vast majority of the trail you are walking through glens, forest or can avoid the ledges.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11026
Location: Mostly London........Mostly
Well managed to get to the top of Grand Paradiso with Mrs Fitz which was pretty cool. Sadly had to sack in my Mt blanc plans as conditions are awful at the moment due to the current heatwave. 0 degrees at 5000m :?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 33341
This is a good video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A5HY7hDeQA

Hiking in north Iceland.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:51 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15393
Location: Haunting your dreams
I did a hike in southern Iceland in winter. Beautiful, but I'm glad I packed ski Goggles.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:15 am
Posts: 297
Seneca of the Night wrote:
This is a good video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A5HY7hDeQA

Hiking in north Iceland.


looks like a fun little walk. got lucky with the weather though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7573
Taking the day off work on 1st November for a hike in Glencoe or Cairngorms if any local, or not local, boardies fancied a day out. Could be tempted into an overnighter.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4681
Slight update.

Mini-KG has 6 day trek in Dec including Poon Hill, followed by 3-4 community work. Trek is slightly less than he would like (max 3500m I think) but overall looks great.

I think it will give him a good taste of things.

Spoke to another parent last night with kid on same trip - they did Kokoda this year which I think is meant to be 1) excellent, 2) tough.

Quite an Aussie thing to do - anyone done it? What’s the overall experience like?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:15 am
Posts: 297
Humid, muddy, tough is what I have heard, but usually you have porters I believe.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:27 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31905
Location: in transit
kiwigreg369 wrote:
Slight update.

Mini-KG has 6 day trek in Dec including Poon Hill, followed by 3-4 community work. Trek is slightly less than he would like (max 3500m I think) but overall looks great.

I think it will give him a good taste of things.

Spoke to another parent last night with kid on same trip - they did Kokoda this year which I think is meant to be 1) excellent, 2) tough.

Quite an Aussie thing to do - anyone done it? What’s the overall experience like?


Australians generally seem to think it’s very hard.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 21, 2018 12:24 am
Posts: 895
Location: Sydney (for now)
kiwigreg369 wrote:
Slight update.

Mini-KG has 6 day trek in Dec including Poon Hill, followed by 3-4 community work. Trek is slightly less than he would like (max 3500m I think) but overall looks great.

I think it will give him a good taste of things.

Spoke to another parent last night with kid on same trip - they did Kokoda this year which I think is meant to be 1) excellent, 2) tough.

Quite an Aussie thing to do - anyone done it? What’s the overall experience like?


Prepare for many steps, that's all I'll say


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: A5D5E5, Achahoish, AD345, backrow, camroc1, danthefan, eldanielfire, Fangle, fatcat, Fat Old Git, Google Adsense [Bot], guy smiley, Heymans, inactionman, Jim Lahey, Joost, Keith, Leinsterman, Mullet 2, my 2 cents, Oxbow, Risteard, RodneyRegis, Rowdy, SamShark, Yourmother, Zakar and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group