Chat Forum
It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 5:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1872, 1873, 1874, 1875, 1876, 1877, 1878 ... 1887  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:00 am 

Nice article here about the ability, or inability, of social media campaigns to actually affect us.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/are-faceboo ... d-question

Quote:
Has the advent of the internet and its algorithms that both measure what engages us and suggest what will please us changed “hidden persuasion” into an actual science? McNamee and Harris think so, especially thanks to our current dependence on handheld phones:

"Smartphones changed the advertising game completely. It took only a few years for billions of people to have an all-purpose content delivery system easily accessible sixteen hours or more a day. This turned media into a battle to hold users’ attention as long as possible. And it left Facebook and Google with a prohibitive advantage over traditional media. ... [Their algorithms] appear value neutral, but the platforms’ algorithms are actually designed with a specific value in mind: maximum share of attention, which optimizes profits. They do this by sucking up and analyzing your data, using it to predict what will cause you to react most strongly, and then giving you more of that."

But despite what McNamee and Harris argue, there’s little independent research that supports their case against “filter bubbles.” And there is also plenty of research that calls those fears into question. Likewise, Tim Wu’s 2016 book “The Attention Merchants”—which may be regarded as a kind of 21st-century evolution of “The Hidden Persuaders”—carefully dodges the question of scientific validity with the qualitative argument that our attention as human beings is necessarily finite, so that anything that successfully demands our attention does so in a zero-sum game that necessarily eclipses something else that we might have attended to. Even so, Wu acknowledges early on that human beings are extraordinarily gifted when it comes to screening out things we have no interested in:

"The neuroscience of attention, despite having greatly advanced over the past few decades, remains too primitive to explain comprehensively the large-scale harvesting of attention. … But there is one thing scientists have grasped that is absolutely essential to understand about the human brain before we go any further: our incredible, magnificent power to ignore."

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:10 am 

13 INCONVENIENT TRUTHS ABOUT WHAT HAS BEEN HAPPENING IN GAZA

http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-news-an ... -explainer

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:21 am 

Trump admits paying Cohen for Stormy. After claiming no knowledge.

He couldn't lie straight in bed.....

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:23 am 

zt1903 wrote:

Good article.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:25 am 

Raggs wrote:
zt1903 wrote:

Good article.

Yep.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:27 am 

Santa wrote:
Raggs wrote:
zt1903 wrote:

Good article.

Yep.

Indeed. Though

1) The Embassy move massively inflamed the protests. Obviously Trump doesn't care and just wants to throw a bone to his religious fundamentalist support. Netanyahu must think all his Hanukkas have come at once.

2) Hamas is a symptom of Gaza's suffering, not the cause of it. The fundamental cause is Israel.

3) The UN has already made clear Israel's occupation is illegal, what good would another enquiry do?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:40 am 

Smutley wrote:
Santa wrote:
Raggs wrote:
zt1903 wrote:

Good article.

Yep.

Indeed. Though

1) The Embassy move massively inflamed the protests. Obviously Trump doesn't care and just wants to throw a bone to his religious fundamentalist support. Netanyahu must think all his Hanukkas have come at once.

2) Hamas is a symptom of Gaza's suffering, not the cause of it. The fundamental cause is Israel.

3) The UN has already made clear Israel's occupation is illegal, what good would another enquiry do?

1. No arguments that it didn't help, but it really wasn't the cause, which is what has been implied, and what the article wanted to make clear.

2. When they were voted in, they were a symptom, now they are also a cause. I'm not even going to touch "fundamental causes".

3. Yes, the settlements etc are illegal. That's not what a new enquiry would be about, but rather instead on the behaviour of Israel and Hamas during this conflict. And one not instigated or controlled by a clearly biased institution in the UNHRC.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:48 am 

Santa wrote:
Raggs wrote:
zt1903 wrote:

Good article.

Yep.

Totally reasonable and informative.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:56 am 

1) Well, they have been protesting for 70 years now. I think it's disingenuous to try to paper over the significance of the Embassy move. Especially when no concessions were wrung from Israel in return.

2) It's human nature, when threatened, to rally behind extremists. Sometimes it seems that the Palestinians are expected to respond to their three generations of oppression with pacifism.

3) Sure, my point was that Israel would ignore it.

The general tone of the article is that it's OK to herd millions of people into an open-air prison and wall them in. If only it was managed slightly better, everything would be grand.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:00 am 

Smutley wrote:
1) Well, they have been protesting for 70 years now. I think it's disingenuous to try to paper over the significance of the Embassy move. Especially when no concessions were wrung from Israel in return.

2) It's human nature, when threatened, to rally behind extremists. Sometimes it seems that the Palestinians are expected to respond to their three generations of oppression with pacifism.

The general tone of the article is that it's OK to herd millions of people into an open-air prison and wall them in. If only it was managed slightly better, everything would be grand.

I didn't get that as the general tone of the article at all.

Last edited by Santa on Thu May 17, 2018 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:00 am 

Quick question - am at work so can’t exactly research right now - but are stormy Daniels bangers fake or natural ?

Amazingly I am not that familiar with her so I’m guessing fake, chap at work reckons they real.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:16 am 

Some interesting reading:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/donald-trump-and-the-case-of-the-dollar107000000/ar-AAxkJuk?ocid=spartanntp

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:57 am 

Flockwitt wrote:

This is it. The big one.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 am 

bimboman wrote:
Santa wrote:
Raggs wrote:
zt1903 wrote:

Good article.

Yep.

Won't be read on here then.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:19 am 

Quote:
A truly independent, respected inquiry into Israel’s tactics and rules of engagement in Gaza is necessary to ensure any abuses are punished and create internationally recognized guidelines for how Israel and other state actors should deal with these situations on their borders.

I dont think Israel is interested in that. At all.

I heard the Prime minister declared Jerusalem was the indivisible capital of Israel during the opening of the US embassy. The guy is clearly not interested in finding a solution to that conflict.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:20 am 

La soule wrote:
Quote:
A truly independent, respected inquiry into Israel’s tactics and rules of engagement in Gaza is necessary to ensure any abuses are punished and create internationally recognized guidelines for how Israel and other state actors should deal with these situations on their borders.

I heard the Prime minister declared Jerusalem was the indivisible capital of Israel during the opening of the US embassy. The guy is clearly not interested in finding a solution to that conflict.

I don't think Israel would be interested in that either. It doesn't mean that it shouldn't happen though.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:22 am 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Santa wrote:
Raggs wrote:
zt1903 wrote:

Good article.

Yep.

Won't be read on here then.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Can't imagine what headspace a person could be in that they'd go to such lengths to justify the killing of 51 unarmed people

Truly pathetic

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:23 am 

Raggs wrote:
La soule wrote:
Quote:

I don't think Israel would be interested in that either. It doesn't mean that it shouldn't happen though.

Sure. But the US would veto any such initiative at the source and you can bet Israel would not comply even if the US did not use the veto.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:30 am 

Quote:

Can't imagine what headspace a person could be in that they'd go to such lengths to justify the killing of 51 unarmed people

Truly pathetic

Fair point. We should probably just run around with our hair on fire rending garments and shrieking at the moon whenever something bad happens. Facts get in the way of that.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:33 am 

Quote:

Truly pathetic

Fair point. We should probably just run around with our hair on fire rending garments and shrieking at the moon whenever something bad happens. Facts get in the way of that.

Is that what you do everytime you read about a migrant boat trying to cross the Med?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:34 am 

Quote:

a lot further lengths than causally deciding that 51 people were unarmed with absolutely no proof of such.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:36 am 

It's a pretty dumb article actually, "inconvenient truths" that people already know about. Most sensible people know it's a fairly grey situation, but go ahead and nod sagely like that article proves it all.

Seems to take the line of "well the Israelis are bad, no doubt, BUT HAMAS ARE WORSE THEY'RE SO BAD". At the end of the day it gets involved in victim blaming, they deserved it by, god forbid, getting involved in a protest.

Big meh from me.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:36 am 

La soule wrote:
Quote:

Truly pathetic

Is that what you do everytime you read about a migrant boat trying to cross the Med?

Yes.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:39 am 

Fair enough.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:39 am 

La soule wrote:
Quote:

Truly pathetic

Yes.

What are your garment costs from all the rending? By this stage I imagine you'd need velcro lined clothing so you can patch them back together and re-rend when the next article appears.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:42 am 

penguin wrote:
La soule wrote:
Quote:

Truly pathetic

Yes.

What are your garment costs from all the rending? By this stage I imagine you'd need velcro lined clothing so you can patch them back together and re-rend when the next article appears.

I reckon he wears a wig.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:43 am 

penguin wrote:
La soule wrote:
Quote:

Truly pathetic

Yes.

This is the tread of the trump renderers. That might be more appropriate on one of the culture wars threads.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:43 am 

Bullettyme wrote:
It's a pretty dumb article actually, "inconvenient truths" that people already know about. Most sensible people know it's a fairly grey situation, but go ahead and nod sagely like that article proves it all.

Seems to take the line of "well the Israelis are bad, no doubt, BUT HAMAS ARE WORSE THEY'RE SO BAD". At the end of the day it gets involved in victim blaming, they deserved it by, god forbid, getting involved in a protest.

Big meh from me.

If people know those truths why do they ignore them in their commentaries ?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:49 am 

penguin wrote:

This is the tread of the trump renderers. That might be more appropriate on one of the culture wars threads.

Suddenly an image of rendering Trump came to mind, and I imagined how much soap you could make from that fat bastard.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:55 am 

La soule wrote:
penguin wrote:
La soule wrote:

Yes.

I reckon he wears a wig.

That may well account for his apparent affinity for the Orange Shitgibbon. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:44 pm 

I must say I’m quite sensitive to the truth, because I have stake in the game.

It’s a fudge up.

Who did not predict this outcome? You have to be a fucking idiot to think this wasn’t going to happen as soon as the embassy announcement was made.

All this could have been avoided.

Which explains everything.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:49 pm 

houtkabouter wrote:

It’s a fudge up.

Who did not predict this outcome? You have to be a fucking idiot to think this wasn’t going to happen as soon as the embassy announcement was made.

Of course you'd have to be an idiot, the protests were organised even before they announced the moving day.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:52 pm 

houtkabouter wrote:

It’s a fudge up.

Not really. The protests were going on for ages, it's nakba day, there's always protests and a kick off. Basically Israel's independence day and nakba day are the same day. Israel got it's independence, the Arab nations around it disagreed with that and attacked, they lost and lost land as well. It was chosen to open the embassy because it was the independence day I presume, a celebration and a significant day to open it. It's not as though that day has no signficance to Israel and it was chosen purely to piss off the Palestinians.

Trump absolutely should have got something out of Israel for agreeing to open the embassy in Jerusalem, but that would have made no difference to the protests.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:56 pm 

Smutley wrote:

Quite.

Still, at least it goes some way to admitting culpability on the Israeli side which is a damn site more than you get from most US based jewish organisations.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:02 pm 

Quote:
Seems to take the line of "well the Israelis are bad, no doubt, BUT HAMAS ARE WORSE THEY'RE SO BAD".

Pretty much the only sensible line to take on the whole issue.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:03 pm 

bimboman wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:

Big meh from me.

Certainly contradicts your commentary anyway.

bimboman wrote:
Ok, it's a siege where of course all their basic needs are met, aid and food flood into their besieged areas.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:13 pm 

RuggaBugga wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:

Big meh from me.

Certainly contradicts your commentary anyway.

bimboman wrote:
Ok, it's a siege where of course all their basic needs are met, aid and food flood into their besieged areas.

Well not really.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:27 pm 

This makes some points that ought to be obvious but sadly seem to pass by many.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/05/16/o ... tests.html

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:28 pm 

1 of the current 26000 sealed indictments was unsealed yesterday.

Anthony Weiner’s

Interesting to see how that plays out

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:30 pm 

https://www.thejc.com/comment/comment/i ... d-1.464233

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1872, 1873, 1874, 1875, 1876, 1877, 1878 ... 1887  Next