Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104812 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 2495, 2496, 2497, 2498, 2499, 2500, 2501 ... 2621  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:16 pm 

Uncle Fester wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:
Trump accuses Clinton of murdering Epstein on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/neal_katyal/status/ ... 84384?s=19
What's the story with libel in the US?

I recall Trump was talking about strengthening libel laws - wonder what he'd think if he was the one being sued for once?

I wonder if 're-tweeting' has been tested in law. Mr Mike, over to you.

Incidentally, this did happen the other day:

https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/1 ... 8579525637

And Kamala did exactly the same thing.

(I had to read through Coulter's twitter feed to get to that - whoah - she's smoking...)

Actually Warren's tweet didn't name anybody so you're talking out your hat as usual.
He isn’t. You don’t need to name someone if the individual is readily identifiable by facts already publicly available.

Politicians are expected to cop more that ordinary citizens so there’s is a question about whether the Clintons would be held to that standard, and the US jealously preserves freedom of speech. Moreover there is a reasonable argument that the original tweet was satire and could be shown as an attempt to counterbalance and expose the hysterical nature of the Trump hashtag. Others would say that gives the President more credit than he deserves.

On the other hand, individuals can assume greater responsibility to refrain from certain statements if reasonable observers could conclude that through that person’s position and access to information that they may have more knowledge and as such be able to substantiate the accusations being made.

Mishmash of analysis based on a mix of jurisdictions but on balance I can’t see a realistic prospect of Trump facing legal consequences (because I doubt there is a sustainable legal claim nor a willing plaintiff in the Clintons). Warren is far more vulnerable, particularly using a specific legal charge and being a lawyer. She should be far better than that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:01 pm 

Uncle Fester wrote:

Ken White ( the don’t talk to the cops guy @popehat on twitter) reckons his tweets are covered by hyperbole. So many of them are clearly nonsense that they can’t be taken seriously. Good chance he’ll be discussing it this week on a podcast called All The presidents lawyers.

Somewhat ironically, section 230 of the communications act(the one they’re constantly moaning about incorrectly) probably covers him and twitter too in this case.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:15 pm 

Uncle Fester wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:

I recall Trump was talking about strengthening libel laws - wonder what he'd think if he was the one being sued for once?

(I had to read through Coulter's twitter feed to get to that - whoah - she's smoking...)

Actually Warren's tweet didn't name anybody so you're talking out your hat as usual.

I swear there is something wrong with you guys. You might get the impression from my appeal to Mr Mike's authority that I am not a lawyer, and don't pretend to be. Ann Coulter, whose tweet I linked to is a lawyer of course. At no point am I talking at all, let alone 'out of a hat'.

As it turned out, Ann Coulter does appear to know a bit more about the law than you, as Mr Mike clarified, and the only person making a complete arse of themselves turned out to be you.

All of this could have been avoided of course if you hadn't blundered in and accused people of things they didn't say. But like I said, I swear there is something wrong with you guys, as this happens time and time again. And still you never fcking learn.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:19 pm 

Mike is obviously right that the chances of Clinton suing are essentially zero.

Warren's tweet is definitely risky, but even though the guy was acquitted she could probably argue honest opinion as a defence.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:22 pm 

Uncle Fester wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:

I swear there is something wrong with you guys. You might get the impression from my appeal to Mr Mike's authority that I am not a lawyer, and don't pretend to be. Ann Coulter, whose tweet I linked to is a lawyer of course. At no point am I talking at all, let alone 'out of a hat'.

As it turned out, Ann Coulter does appear to know a bit more about the law than you, as Mr Mike clarified, and the only person making a complete arse of themselves turned out to be you.

All of this could have been avoided of course if you hadn't blundered in and accused people of things they didn't say. But like I said, I swear there is something wrong with you guys, as this happens time and time again. And still you never fcking learn.

Yeah, lawyers call for frivolous lawsuits all the time(Avenatti)and coulter is a partisan hack so it’s a really weak appeal to authority.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:27 pm 

paddyor wrote:
Yeah, lawyers call for frivolous lawsuits all the time(Avenatti)and coulter is a partisan hack so it’s a really weak appeal to authority.

Okay, I tell you what I will do, I will link directly to the tweet, taking out Coulter's comments, then Mr Mike can comment on it:

https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1159902078103445507

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:47 pm 

paddyor wrote:

Okay, I tell you what I will do, I will link directly to the tweet, taking out Coulter's comments, then Mr Mike can comment on it:

But you already referenced the coulter opinion....

FWIW I think Warren is dumb to bring it up but I think she’s protected because it’s very much an opinion that the investigation was illegitimate. It’s different than say Alex Jones alleging that the Sandy Hook families are crisis actors and denying facts such as their kids are dead.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:55 pm 

paddyor wrote:

I don't get Warren. She seems obsessed with being or appearing to be a minority for deacdes. It's what hugely undermines her political appeal in which she is clearly a knowledgeable and well researched politician on matters like Wall Street and corporate shenanigans. There she looks like she genuinely has the know how, will power and ideas to clean up big business. But on matters of race she seems so weird, possibly a bit self loathing and self defeating given her weird need to identity as native American decades ago for no apparent reason.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:55 am 

don't worry about twatter chaps, the orange shitgibbon has a solution

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:58 am 

Just wait until they make saying something unfavorable about POTUS an act of treason.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:00 am 

eldanielfire wrote:
for no apparent reason.

I mean, Occam's Razor - maybe she was actually told she was by her family and believed it?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:07 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
Just wait until they make saying something unfavorable about POTUS an act of treason.

This is where Trump is full of shit, like with Omar & co. He’s for free speech until someone says something he doesn’t agree with.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:10 am 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
for no apparent reason.

I mean, Occam's Razor - maybe she was actually told she was by her family and believed it?

I don’t see any reason to doubt that she thought she was part native, especially coming from Oklahoma.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:59 pm 

Quote:
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump Aug 10

Anthony Scaramucci, who was quickly terminated (11 days) from a position that he was totally incapable of handling, now seems to do nothing but television as the all time expert on “President Trump.” Like many other so-called television experts, he knows very little about me.....

.....other than the fact that this Administration has probably done more than any other Administration in its first 2 1/2 years of existence. Anthony, who would do anything to come back in, should remember the only reason he is on TV, and it’s not for being the Mooch!

This is such a dick thing to do, I am guessing it is because of Scaramucci's appearance on Bill Maher.

An appearance where Scaramucci was slightly critical of Trump's lack of planning (and understanding) of the trade war with China...

...but the Mooch specifically said more than once that he couldn't just walk away from his FRIEND.

Trump being the plum that he is, responds like this.

What an utter bellend.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:29 pm 

Bowens wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
for no apparent reason.

I don’t see any reason to doubt that she thought she was part native, especially coming from Oklahoma.

I thought the implication was she lied about it for positive discrimination purposes?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:32 pm 

BokJock wrote:
Quote:

Anthony Scaramucci, who was quickly terminated (11 days) from a position that he was totally incapable of handling, now seems to do nothing but television as the all time expert on “President Trump.” Like many other so-called television experts, he knows very little about me.....

.....other than the fact that this Administration has probably done more than any other Administration in its first 2 1/2 years of existence. Anthony, who would do anything to come back in, should remember the only reason he is on TV, and it’s not for being the Mooch!

This is such a dick thing to do, I am guessing it is because of Scaramucci's appearance on Bill Maher.

An appearance where Scaramucci was slightly critical of Trump's lack of planning (and understanding) of the trade war with China...

...but the Mooch specifically said more than once that he couldn't just walk away from his FRIEND.

What an utter bellend.

He simply cannot handle anything other than fawning worship, can he?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:41 pm 

I really would like SOTN or any of his "friends" to give a redeeming quality this manchild possesses.

*besides making the libtards froth :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:45 pm 

paddyor wrote:
Bowens wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
for no apparent reason.

I thought the implication was she lied about it for positive discrimination purposes?

Is it a lie if she thought she had native ancestry?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:12 pm 

BokJock wrote:
I really would like SOTN or any of his "friends" to give a redeeming quality this manchild possesses.

He believes there is good people on both sides

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:10 pm 

Bowens wrote:
paddyor wrote:

Is it a lie if she thought she had native ancestry?

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:18 pm 

Startling bad "analysis" of Bolton's comments of Sky News

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:10 pm 

BokJock wrote:

sourced the novichock for Epstein hanging himself ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:32 pm 

BokJock wrote:
Quote:

What an utter bellend.

Can we get a list of all of the things this Administration has done, and actually compare it to all of the previous ones? Is it mostly as follows?

- Played more golf?
- Created more froth?
- Helped more Nazis feel safe?
- increased sales of Citronella torches?
- Found a use for for all those old cages?
- Hired and then fired more of the "best people"?
- Sent more tweets?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:34 pm 

Fat Old Git wrote:
BokJock wrote:
Quote:

What an utter bellend.

Can we get a list of all of the things this Administration has done, and actually compare it to all of the previous ones? Is it mostly as follows?

- Played more golf?
- Created more froth?
- Helped more Nazis feel safe?
- increased sales of Citronella torches?
- Found a use for for all those old cages?
- Hired and then fired more of the "best people"?
- Sent more tweets?

Made the libtards froth.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:38 pm 

That's covered under point 2.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:07 pm 

Fat Old Git wrote:
That's covered under point 2.

Fair point. Missed it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:36 pm 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
for no apparent reason.

That she had very very distant Native american ancestry,but no know relatives and yet she was putting down on forms she is a minority in the 80's while later denying she ever had?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:05 am 

Mullet 2 wrote:

Link? Or at least something to go on.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:10 am 

paddyor wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2018/0 ... the-media/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:57 am 

BokJock wrote:
Quote:

What an utter bellend.

I watched it, they deserve each other

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:34 am 

Cuomo should start doing his show like this. If Lindsey Graham defends child detention, call him a punk bitch and say you’re gonna ruin his shit.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JordanUhl/st ... 7256364032

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:34 am 

Kiwias wrote:
paddyor wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2018/0 ... the-media/

Jesus.

Mind you, Kate Burley doesn't really represent the pinnacle of journalism, either.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:19 am 

Pesky varmints

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/12/climate/endangered-species-act-changes.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:23 am 

ticketlessinseattle wrote:
BokJock wrote:
Quote:

What an utter bellend.

I watched it, they deserve each other

And the trump supporters will absolutely lap it up. Cause trump is being all alpha a s++t and telling it like it is.

But they are completely missing the irony that he posted the incapable man into the role thus showing is inability to appoint the right people in the right roles.

But apparently disloyalty is a big turn on for the trumpets.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:46 am 

The Mooch on Maher did have an interesting little line when challenged on Trump's (obviously) racist rhetoric, that their was a group of them (former and current staffers) that were willing to walk away or turn their backs on him if the (obvious) race baiting continued.

Seemed to be a sort of pact. Not sure how much it will matter at this stage as Trump will just make up a silly nickname and call them all losers who just want to be on TV (another massively ironic thing for the ratings obsessed reality TV star to say). The scared-of-brown-people base will just lap it up.

But maybe, just maybe, it might influence some of the more sane republicans to turn away too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:07 am 

BokJock wrote:

Apparently Nixon wasn't Republican enough for these dead eyed sociopaths.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:22 pm 

Some of his birther stuff is just crazy, I mean insane...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS87-2VRE-Y

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:44 pm 

BokJock wrote:
The Mooch on Maher did have an interesting little line when challenged on Trump's (obviously) racist rhetoric, that their was a group of them (former and current staffers) that were willing to walk away or turn their backs on him if the (obvious) race baiting continued.

Seemed to be a sort of pact. Not sure how much it will matter at this stage as Trump will just make up a silly nickname and call them all losers who just want to be on TV (another massively ironic thing for the ratings obsessed reality TV star to say). The scared-of-brown-people base will just lap it up.

But maybe, just maybe, it might influence some of the more sane republicans to turn away too.

the Mooch stole the limelight from orange shitgibbon from day 1,,,,,he was never going to make it to day 12.....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:18 pm 

With the Cuomo thing Trump again shows that he doesn’t stand for freedom of expression or any of the culture war stuff the right is currently obsessed with, he stands for Trump and anyone who is a sycophant for Trump.

Sean Hannity actually had the correct take on it so fair play to him.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:27 pm 

That idiot Ben Shapiro had a decent take on it - he completely understood Fredo losing it but suggested it is better to ignore these idiots who confront them in public. He also stressed that the Fredo/ethinc slur thing is utter bollocks and that Cuomo has form for comparing things to the N word, such as when he said using the term fake news is like calling a journalist the N word. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104812 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 2495, 2496, 2497, 2498, 2499, 2500, 2501 ... 2621  Next