Crusaders - 9
Lions - 0

OFFICIALS:

TBC

TEAMS:

TBC

TBC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:10 pm 

Really looking forward to this game. I hated the bye week, but hopefully it has helped the Crusaders players freshen up? The Lions will be very confident after beating the Chiefs in Hamilton on Friday night but they'll have to improve a bit to secure a victory in Christchurch.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:23 pm 

Bye's are a bit of a mixed bag. Will the team come back refreshed, or will they have lost momentum? My gut feel is that it's more often the latter. I wonder if anyone has done the stats? (I'm looking at you naki!)

Still, should be a good game though. Lions looked good and will have had a good confidence boost and another week to normalize to the time difference. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:07 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
Bye's are a bit of a mixed bag. Will the team come back refreshed, or will they have lost momentum? My gut feel is that it's more often the latter. I wonder if anyone has done the stats? (I'm looking at you naki!)

Still, should be a good game though. Lions looked good and will have had a good confidence boost and another week to normalize to the time difference. :thumbup:

I think byes often facilitate a change of momentum. So when a team is playing well, they can be a bad thing as they can nullify a team's positive momentum. However, if a team is playing poorly a bye can be a real blessing as they can allow a team to draw a line in the sand, and refocus and change how they are playing. Personally I think there should only be one bye across the SR season, the Aust/NZ teams should get it when the fly back from SA and the South African teams should get their bye after their Australasian tour. I guess we'll see on Friday night what impact the bye has on the Crusaders.

As for the Lions, as mentioned they will be feeling great about themselves, after a great win in Hamilton and with some of their stars back from injury. Whitely and Marx bring so much experience, class and confidence to this team. Their set piece looks great and they'll be targeting the Crusaders in this facet.

For the Crusaders, it will be interesting to see of Franks and Bridge return, after lenghy injury absences. Franks in particular has been sorely missed. Bridge must be extremely frustrated that injuries have prevented him from building on his great 2018 form that culminated in an All Black cap last November.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:55 am 

Injuries permitting, this is the 23 I'd like to see named for the Lions;

15. David Havili
14. Brayden Ennor
13. Jack Goodhue
12. Ryan Crotty
11. George Bridge
10. Richie Mo'unga
9. Bryn Hall

8. Kieran Read
7. Matt Todd
6. Whetu Douglas
5. Sam Whitelock
4. Scott Barrett
3. Owen Franks
2. Codie Taylor
1. Joe Moody

16. Andrew Makalio
17. Harry Allan
18. Mike Ala'alatoa
19. Quentin Strange
20. Jordan Taufua
21. Mitch Drummond
22. Mitch Hunt
23. Will Jordan

Tough for Sevu Reece to get dropped, as he's been in scintilating form over the last few weeks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:52 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:

15. David Havili
14. Brayden Ennor
13. Jack Goodhue
12. Ryan Crotty
11. George Bridge
10. Richie Mo'unga
9. Bryn Hall

8. Kieran Read
7. Matt Todd
6. Whetu Douglas
5. Sam Whitelock
4. Scott Barrett
3. Owen Franks
2. Codie Taylor
1. Joe Moody

16. Andrew Makalio
17. Harry Allan
18. Mike Ala'alatoa
19. Quentin Strange
20. Jordan Taufua
21. Mitch Drummond
22. Mitch Hunt
23. Will Jordan

Tough for Sevu Reece to get dropped, as he's been in scintilating form over the last few weeks.

I think I'd still prefer Taufua starting over Douglas as he adds slightly more explosiveness with ball in hand and is a more natural blindside (as opposed to Douglas who's an 8 that can play blindside), but it's really a toss of the coin selection. Great problem to have.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:04 am 

Is Bridge a left winger or is he adaptable?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:10 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:

He's never played on the right wing, as far as I know. He has played at fullback and left wing. So I guess he is adaptable.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:21 am 

An embarrassing array of riches. Anything short of another title claimed by at least 20 points in the final would be a disappointment. Anything less than a RWC semi would be a disappointment.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:24 am 

Kahu wrote:
An embarrassing array of riches. Anything short of another title claimed by at least 20 points in the final would be a disappointment. Anything less than a RWC semi would be a disappointment.

Our pack isn't as strong as many of the Hurricanes packs over the years, but it will have to suffice. Certainly we don't have the luxury of fielding an all-All Black pack.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:32 am 

I can't think of a better Hurricanes tight 5. Admittedly this backrow is nowhere close to the quality the Hurricanes fielded in the noughties however it will forever be a travesty that Jordan Taufua will leave the country without an AB test cap when so many inferior players have had the honor of wearing the Black jersey into battle.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:34 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

He's never played on the right wing, as far as I know. He has played at fullback and left wing. So I guess he is adaptable.

It seems to matter for some people but if he can play fullback I doubt he’s one of them. Wonder if he’s worried about this spot at all. Crusader outside backs are sickening this year.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:37 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

It seems to matter for some people but if he can play fullback I doubt he’s one of them. Wonder if he’s worried about this spot at all. Crusader outside backs are sickening this year.

Yeah they are. Sevu Reece is one of the form wingers in the entire comp right now, and he's probably not going to be in this week's 23 unless Roberston looks to rotation. The bad old days of starting Kieron Fonotia and Adam Whitelock on the wings are but a distant memory.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:37 am 

mrbrownstone wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:

15. David Havili
14. Brayden Ennor
13. Jack Goodhue
12. Ryan Crotty
11. George Bridge
10. Richie Mo'unga
9. Bryn Hall

8. Kieran Read
7. Matt Todd
6. Whetu Douglas
5. Sam Whitelock
4. Scott Barrett
3. Owen Franks
2. Codie Taylor
1. Joe Moody

16. Andrew Makalio
17. Harry Allan
18. Mike Ala'alatoa
19. Quentin Strange
20. Jordan Taufua
21. Mitch Drummond
22. Mitch Hunt
23. Will Jordan

I think I'd still prefer Taufua starting over Douglas as he adds slightly more explosiveness with ball in hand and is a more natural blindside (as opposed to Douglas who's an 8 that can play blindside), but it's really a toss of the coin selection. Great problem to have.

The Taufua/Douglas issue comes down to which the opposition would prefer not to come on with 20 minutes to go. Taufua is the one who would instill more fear.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:38 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

Yeah they are. Sevu Reece is one of the form wingers in the entire comp right now, and he's probably not going to be in this week's 23 unless Roberston looks to rotation. The bad old days of starting Kieron Fonotia and Adam Whitelock on the wings are but a distant memory.

Then stop reminding us, FFS :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by Kiwias on Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:39 am 

You're 100% correct Kiwias. Taufua offers plenty of impact whereas Whetu Douglas doesn't.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:40 am 

Kahu wrote:
I can't think of a better Hurricanes tight 5. Admittedly this backrow is nowhere close to the quality the Hurricanes fielded in the noughties however it will forever be a travesty that Jordan Taufua will leave the country without an AB test cap when so many inferior players have had the honor of wearing the Black jersey into battle.

Yeah i agree it's pretty shit that Brett Cameron is a test capped All Black, but Jordan Taufua will probably never be. Last year's injury was extremely untimely for Taufua.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:06 am 

Before the tour I had hoped than the Lions could somehow manufacture two wins. They can still do it but it would have been better if they hadn't messed up against the Brumbies as beating the Saders anywhere, let alone in CC, is a tough assignment.

It seems the Lions coach had something of a nervous breakdown so the Lions conditioning coach, Cash van Rooyen, will take over as his replacement till further notice

The combination of Lombard and Jantjies at 10/12 worked well against the Chiefs but Lombard returned home injured with another young utility back, Shaun Reynolds, flying in as replacement. Tyrone Green, another exciting youngster, is also coming so it will be interesting to see what team the new coaching staff puts out

I would go with:

15 Tyrone Green
14 Sylvian Mahuza
13 Lionel Mapoe
12 Shaun Reynolds
11 Aphiwe Dyantyi
10 Elton Jantjies
9 Ross Cronje
8 Warren Whiteley
7 Cyle Brink
6 Kwagga Smith
5 Marvin Orie
4 Rhyno Herbst
3 Carlu Sadie
2 Robbie Coetzee
1 Sti Sithole

16 Jan-Henning Campher
17 Frans van Wyk
18 Johannes Jonker
19 Stephan Lewies
20 Marnus Schoeman
21 Nic Groom
22 Franco Naude
23 Andries Coetzee

Last edited by Jensrsa on Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:58 am 

I see Malcolm Marx is on his way home for his Bok rest

Rookie hooker Jan-Henning Campher will join the Lions in Christchurch, which means Robbie Coetzee will start

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:25 pm 

Jensrsa wrote:

Rookie hooker Jan-Henning Campher will join the Lions in Christchurch, which means Robbie Coetzee will start

Seems a bit strange to take Marx all the way to NZ just to send him back to South Africa after one game. Moreover, wouldn't he have been better off being rested against the injury-depleted Chiefs team than the table-topping Crusaders?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:30 am 

Lions better play better than they did vs the chiefs even if the lions have the lead in the first half if they drop off in the second like they did vs the chiefs the crusaders could put a lot of points on them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:11 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

uhm not all left wingers can play on the right or atleast play well, may take time to develop but they would need to play constantly..my stance is that Bridge CANNOT play on the right wing so he can double as a replacement for Reiko Ioane but not ben smith on the right wing. i remember asking cory jane on twitter back when he was playing and he said he cannot play on the left and that Julian savea can't play on the right..we only saw Julian move there recently when his left wing spot for teh AB's was under threat by Reiko and he failed badly at playing 14, NMS could play 14.15 and Naholo both wings and openside flank :P ......looking at the saders outside backs, Havili can play 12, 14 and 15 (was always poor at 13), Mataele both wings, Will jordan 14, 15 (wasn't good on the left), Ennor 11, 12, 13, 14 and Reece 11, 13, 14, 15 ..if Bridge wants to be an AB (lets face it, utility wise, Havili is ahead of him right now in the pecking order), he should ask Razor to run him a lot ore on the right wing, rest crotty cause he NEEDS it and havili to 12, WJ at 15..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:29 am 

comets wrote:
uhm not all left wingers can play on the right or atleast play well, may take time to develop but they would need to play constantly..my stance is that Bridge CANNOT play on the right wing so he can double as a replacement for Reiko Ioane but not ben smith on the right wing. i remember asking cory jane on twitter back when he was playing and he said he cannot play on the left and that Julian savea can't play on the right..we only saw Julian move there recently when his left wing spot for teh AB's was under threat by Reiko and he failed badly at playing 14, NMS could play 14.15 and Naholo both wings and openside flank :P ......looking at the saders outside backs, Havili can play 12, 14 and 15 (was always poor at 13), Mataele both wings, Will jordan 14, 15 (wasn't good on the left), Ennor 11, 12, 13, 14 and Reece 11, 13, 14, 15 ..if Bridge wants to be an AB (lets face it, utility wise, Havili is ahead of him right now in the pecking order), he should ask Razor to run him a lot ore on the right wing, rest crotty cause he NEEDS it and havili to 12, WJ at 15..

Bit of an incoherent post, but I disagree with you that David Havili is ahead of George Bridge in the All Black pecking order. Havili has played more positions, and he's in good form, but I think that Bridge is rated more highly by the AB selectors at this stage of their careers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:32 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:

Seems a bit strange to take Marx all the way to NZ just to send him back to South Africa after one game. Moreover, wouldn't he have been better off being rested against the injury-depleted Chiefs team than the table-topping Crusaders?

Should of rested marx last week against the weaker team, they are going to need everything against the crusaders, or is it the SA mentality of ok we are going to target the game we know we can win?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:36 am 

Harden up!!! wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:

Should of rested marx last week against the weaker team, they are going to need everything against the crusaders, or is it the SA mentality of ok we are going to target the game we know we can win?

I would be shocked if the Lions weren't backing themselve to win every game. They have played in the last three Super Rugby finals, they are one of the elite teams in the comp. They should back themselves to win every time they play, and I am sure that their players are very confident going into their match on Friday night against the Crusaders. But resting Marx for this fixture is both strange and unusual.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:40 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Harden up!!! wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:

I would be shocked if the Lions weren't backing themselve to win every game. They have played in the last three Super Rugby finals, they are one of the elite teams in the comp. They should back themselves to win every time they play, and I am sure that their players are very confident going into their match on Friday night against the Crusaders. But resting Marx for this fixture is both strange and unusual.

They have not been up to their standards this year, im thinking anything less than a bonus point win is a negative for the crusaders in this one. But resting Marx for this one is really odd, unless they really are that *confident* for resting their best hooker in what to me seems to be the toughest game of the season, if you are really looking to win every game.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:54 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Harden up!!! wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:

The Lions initially selected Marx and Jantjies to "rest" on the bench against the Chiefs but felt they needed to get experienced heads on the field given the off-field drama of last week (head coach having a "breakdown" and defence coach losing his court defence, both returning home) so the were moved to starting positions.

Robbie Coetzee is also very experienced although he isn't as influential a player as Marx.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:08 am 

Harden up!!! wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:

They may well have lost to the Chiefs without Mark's.
I think if the Crusaders play well there will win by 20.

God call IMHO.

Of course I thought the Blues would account for the Highlanders so..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:35 am 

No surprise, Saders clear favourites with the bookies

Crusaders 1.12
Lions 7.9
Handicap: Crusaders -18

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:36 am 

Jensrsa wrote:

Crusaders 1.12
Lions 7.9

Those are utterly ridiculous odds given the quality of the Lions and the fact this is a replay of the last two finals.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:47 am 

The Lions cannot afford to go into their traditional 20 minute "rest" during the game. If we can get parity up front we have a chance, slim though it might be

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:52 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:

Crusaders 1.12
Lions 7.9

Those are utterly ridiculous odds given the quality of the Lions and the fact this is a replay of the last two finals.

Only a few bookies have given their odds so far, might change when more come online

Might be worth putting a bit on the Lions for an upset though :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:02 am 

Quote:
The Crusaders will be without three All Blacks for their Super Rugby Round 11 clash against the Lions in Christchurch on Friday.

The defending champions are returning to action this week following a bye and head coach Scott Robertson has decided to give All Black forwards Scott Barrett and Matt Todd an extended break.

It will be the pair’s second and final All Blacks rest week.

The Crusaders will also be without All Black prop Owen Franks this week.

Franks has a nagging shoulder injury, which is expected to be re-scanned in the next fortnight.

The good news for the Crusaders is that they are expected to have Codie Taylor and George Bridge available for Friday’s match.

Taylor missed his team’s last two matches due to a calf niggle, while Bridge has been out of action since injuring his knee/hamstring against the Waratahs in Round Six.

Both players took part in full training on Monday.

https://rugby365.com/tournaments/super-rugby/news-super-rugby/crusaders-without-key-all-blacks-for-lions-clash

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:31 am 

I'm looking forward to see how the youngster Carlu Sadie goes against Joe Moody