Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:35 am 

How they handled allegations of his sexual misconduct. He's been reported tot he police and denies sexually assaulting 2 of his former staff:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/0 ... aff-first/

Amazingly on twitter pro Scottish independence tweeters seem to think it's a Unionist conspiracy because Scotland is about to announce Indy Ref2. Worse than Corbynistas.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:43 am 

Have to say, I agree with him, how can someone not be told the nature of the complaint against them? how can you present evidence when you don't know the accuser(s) or the nature of it?

Personally, for me, anything than undermines Sturgeon has to be a good thing for the country: her rhetoric and policies are running the country into the ground.

An anecdotal story, I used to work with this trader whose brother was very senior at a law firm where Sturgeon was working at; now, on two occasions she allegedly brought back men to the office and took a rogering on the boardroom table. Whether or not this is true, I'll never know but I don't see any reason why it would be made up (exaggerated perhaps). It's time for these men to step forward and have their #metoo moment.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:49 am 

Caley_Red wrote:
Have to say, I agree with him, how can someone not be told the nature of the complaint against them? how can you present evidence when you don't know the accuser(s) or the nature of it?

Personally, for me, anything than undermines Sturgeon has to be a good thing for the country: her rhetoric and policies are running the country into the ground.

An anecdotal story, I used to work with this trader whose brother was very senior at a law firm where Sturgeon was working at; now, on two occasions she allegedly brought back men to the office and took a rogering on the boardroom table. Whether or not this is true, I'll never know but I don't see any reason why it would be made up (exaggerated perhaps). It's time for these men to step forward and have their #metoo moment.

Oh I agree that Salmond should at least know the allegations in principle. At first thought it seems ridiculous not to.

But we only have his side of the story and he's master of presentation. For all we know there was good reason and protocol not to do something to reveal the identity of his accusers as he's a powerful and influential figure. As we don't have the full story, I believe the Scottish government is gagged at the moment, we will have to wait to know all the pieces of this case.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:02 am 

I would say something like "I hope the stench of the scandal hangs around for a while as it could be electorally damaging" but I am not convinced it will. Scotland is in danger of moving in the direction of the USA where hardened political leanings on both sides mean that their candidates can act with impunity and never have to worry about losing much of the vote.

This is where Scotland already is with the SNP, in my view. Their tenure has been, by most reasonable metrics, a disaster: when I left school, Scotland was one of the world's top performers in Math, Science and Reading. Now it's about average for OECD (and about the same as England) which is unacceptable. Yet, even though many of their policies have resulted in dreadful outcomes, their electoral numbers refuse to move that much (although Sturgeon's personal ratings are terrible). If dreadful governance doesn't budge poll numbers all that much, a cheeky Clintonesque side show won't either.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:20 am 

Caley_Red wrote:
I would say something like "I hope the stench of the scandal hangs around for a while as it could be electorally damaging" but I am not convinced it will. Scotland is in danger of moving in the direction of the USA where hardened political leanings on both sides mean that their candidates can act with impunity and never have to worry about losing much of the vote.

This is where Scotland already is with the SNP, in my view. Their tenure has been, by most reasonable metrics, a disaster: when I left school, Scotland was one of the world's top performers in Math, Science and Reading. Now it's about average for OECD (and about the same as England) which is unacceptable. Yet, even though many of their policies have resulted in dreadful outcomes, their electoral numbers refuse to move that much (although Sturgeon's personal ratings are terrible). If dreadful governance doesn't budge poll numbers all that much, a cheeky Clintonesque side show won't either.

I can't say it's just Scotland. You only need to mention Corbynista to understand you get an irrational anti-fact idiot who'll constantly blame the BBC/mainstream media as a constant conspiracy, call anyone who doesn't share their views racist, Tory or red-Tory, will even refute Corbyn was doing something EVEN when Corbyn wrote about it himself and then will revetr to whatever whataboutism they can munster to not embrace or reference the facts.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:28 am 

The polarization in Scotland, particulalrly on social media is a different level IMO. They all have names for each other, there is never any agreement over anything and the abuse that is flung about is incredible. No one seems to realise that you actually have to engage with people to get them to change their minds.

Twitter this morning since the story broke has been horrendous, particulalrly full of women defending him against these accusations without any thought and claiming conspiracy.

It really does remind me of America and Trump at the moment, there is literally nothing the SNP can do that will move their base.

As an aside, eldaniefire, who is that woman in your avatar? Spitting image of someone I know.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:48 am 

slick wrote:
The polarization in Scotland, particulalrly on social media is a different level IMO. They all have names for each other, there is never any agreement over anything and the abuse that is flung about is incredible. No one seems to realise that you actually have to engage with people to get them to change their minds.

It's exactly the same down here. I'm not saying it's as intense, but teh exact same vicious behaviour online is occuring.

Quote:

Twitter this morning since the story broke has been horrendous, particulalrly full of women defending him against these accusations without any thought and claiming conspiracy.

It really does remind me of America and Trump at the moment, there is literally nothing the SNP can do that will move their base.

Same on both Corbynistas and Brexit.

Quote:

As an aside, eldaniefire, who is that woman in your avatar? Spitting image of someone I know.

Susan Dey. I had to reverse image it as I forgot. She's old now but I love that picture.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:50 am 

Caley_Red wrote:

Rumour has it she bats for the other team and the hubby is a front as much as she is a front for her hubby's political machinations.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:52 am 

slick wrote:

Referendums do this, its the same hardliners with Brexit. The yanks are either democrats or repubs, no middle ground or compromise anymore it seems and if you are willing to talk to the other side that is as good as you saying you are one of them and are not to be trusted.

It will undoubtedly eventually swing back but not in the immediate term.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:18 am 

Caley_Red wrote:

Can't see any reason to make up a story about the first minister being shagged in the office?

Surely, the reason to make it up will be the amount of times it's been told? Very interesting story...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:25 am 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:

Rumour has it she bats for the other team and the hubby is a front as much as she is a front for her hubby's political machinations.

Ah. Now on twitter I heard rumours refering to "Scotlands other big beast" and references will journalists reveal the truth about a "her". There was some usual BS about "if's it's who I think is is he worked with...." misisng the reference to a she, but there was another snide remark that joking referenced the her as JK Rowling and the reply was Rowing writers books their appeal to children, but "she" finds children rather appealing. And some references to 20 years ago.

That wasn't the exact exchange but it certainly went like that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:57 am 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
slick wrote:

Referendums do this, its the same hardliners with Brexit. The yanks are either democrats or repubs, no middle ground or compromise anymore it seems and if you are willing to talk to the other side that is as good as you saying you are one of them and are not to be trusted.

It will undoubtedly eventually swing back but not in the immediate term.

I hope you are right but I just can't see it until another referendum is completely off the table. The only way I can see that happening at the moment is if the SNP run the whole place into the ground.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:02 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
Worse than Corbynistas.

correction.

Corbynazis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:02 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:

Ah. Now on twitter I heard rumours refering to "Scotlands other big beast" and references will journalists reveal the truth about a "her". There was some usual BS about "if's it's who I think is is he worked with...." misisng the reference to a she, but there was another snide remark that joking referenced the her as JK Rowling and the reply was Rowing writers books their appeal to children, but "she" finds children rather appealing. And some references to 20 years ago.

Former PM, possibly?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:29 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:06 pm 

Ramming Speed wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:

Former PM, possibly?

As my quotes imply it's a big beast in Scottish politics. Not Westminster.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:35 pm 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... uct-claims

Resigned form the SNP.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:02 pm 

This is going to be one hell of a trap when he springs it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:12 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
Ramming Speed wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:

Former PM, possibly?

As my quotes imply it's a big beast in Scottish politics. Not Westminster.

Which could still refer to a former PM.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:14 pm 

zt1903 wrote:

Which could still refer to a former PM.

It could, but is seems hugely unlikely. Neither Brown nor Blair was never really seen as Scottish political beasts.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:28 pm 

Just looking at the composition of the Scottish parliament:

Christ that is a recipe for a bit of a mess. Who or what constitutes the opposition to the SNP? How do Labour and Conservatives get along?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:58 pm 

Red Revolution wrote:
This is going to be one hell of a trap when he springs it.

:lol: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:17 am 

Seneca of the Night wrote:

Christ that is a recipe for a bit of a mess. Who or what constitutes the opposition to the SNP? How do Labour and Conservatives get along?

Not very well however, both seem to unite a bit on the anti-independence ticket. From what I've read, it's a lot better now Kezia Dugdale (an intellectual lightweight if ever there was one) is no longer leader: I believe she actually backed independence in an interview post-EU ref only to make a humiliating climb down.
The Scottish parliament is full of these morons: attend university to study some useless arts degree, heavy involvement with the NUS (left of Marx), sit on some policy board for the Labour party, carry some MP/MSPs bags for a while and then get elected on the list vote. In her case she managed to become leader of one of the big 3 political parties without ever having worked in the real world. I miss living in Scotland but being away from Scottish politics and the morons who represent us is a relief.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:20 am 

If the allegations hold up then he's screwed...if not he's using them as a platform to energize the hardcore nat base who probably think MI5 planned the whole thing.

Interesting times for the SNP - always assumed Salmond would make his move to regain the leadership at some point but now someone in the Scottish Gov has smoked him out by leaking the details of the inquiry he's got to go for it now (not that he can depose Sturgeon as FM and SNP leader but he can become the de facto leader of the Indy movement again).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:38 am 

Caley_Red wrote:

Not very well however, both seem to unite a bit on the anti-independence ticket. From what I've read, it's a lot better now Kezia Dugdale (an intellectual lightweight if ever there was one) is no longer leader: I believe she actually backed independence in an interview post-EU ref only to make a humiliating climb down.
The Scottish parliament is full of these morons: attend university to study some useless arts degree, heavy involvement with the NUS (left of Marx), sit on some policy board for the Labour party, carry some MP/MSPs bags for a while and then get elected on the list vote. In her case she managed to become leader of one of the big 3 political parties without ever having worked in the real world. I miss living in Scotland but being away from Scottish politics and the morons who represent us is a relief.

I went to Uni with Murdo Fraser. A more feckless moron you couldn’t hope to meet. He was deputy leader of the Scottish Tories for a while :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:43 am 

Caley_Red wrote:

Agree with all of that. You also have the little scrotum from the Greens who dances to Nicolas tune with no question.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:45 am 

tc27 wrote:
If the allegations hold up then he's screwed...if not he's using them as a platform to energize the hardcore nat base who probably think MI5 planned the whole thing.

Interesting times for the SNP - always assumed Salmond would make his move to regain the leadership at some point but now someone in the Scottish Gov has smoked him out by leaking the details of the inquiry he's got to go for it now (not that he can depose Sturgeon as FM and SNP leader but he can become the de facto leader of the Indy movement again).

All broadcast by Russia Today! Happy times.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:47 am 

tc27 wrote:

He set up a crowdfunding page for his legal battle that raised nearly £60k in a couple of hours from his hardcore support. All under the heading "Battle for Independance" . A millionaire with several public sector pensions of course.

Yet again it's getting pretty horrible up here. There is only one thing Salmond cares more about than indy and that's himself, going to get ugly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:56 am 

So he touched someone's ass and breasts through their clothing - what a charmer.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:57 am 

slick wrote:
tc27 wrote:

He set up a crowdfunding page for his legal battle that raised nearly £60k in a couple of hours from his hardcore support. All under the heading "Battle for Independance" . A millionaire with several public sector pensions of course.

Yet again it's getting pretty horrible up here. There is only one thing Salmond cares more about than indy and that's himself, going to get ugly.

The cult are in full attack mode. And people are questioning why the women took 3 years to put their complaints in?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:54 am 

Caley_Red wrote:
. I miss living in Scotland but being away from Scottish politics and the morons who represent us is a relief.

And now you live in NSW?!! :blush: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:10 pm 

Last Line wrote:
So he touched someone's ass and breasts through their clothing - what a charmer.

Scored a half century in tit-cricket.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:17 pm 

slick wrote:
tc27 wrote:

He's a pretty big gambler from what I've heard hence his RT gig, he needs it! Souter from Stagecoach has apparently bailed him out before now and that will be why he is using the mentalists to fund his legal challenge through crowdfunding.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:23 pm 

Gospel wrote:
Last Line wrote:

Scored a half century in tit-cricket.

You're generous!! Ass is just a single, Tit is a 4 when we played.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:28 pm 

Made the mistake of going below the line/reading some Twitter comments attached to a couple of articles about this.

Is anyone still claiming the 2014 referendum was some kind of positive uplifting event for Scottish politics? Or the UK as a whole? It looks like its utterly poisoned the well and Scotland is well on the way to tribal and entrenched NI style politics.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:47 pm 

tc27 wrote:
Made the mistake of going below the line/reading some Twitter comments attached to a couple of articles about this.

Is anyone still claiming the 2014 referendum was some kind of positive uplifting event for Scottish politics? Or the UK as a whole? It looks like its utterly poisoned the well and Scotland is well on the way to tribal and entrenched NI style politics.

Indeed. For some reason there seems to be a resistance to accepting the democratic mandate if it's not what you want.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:59 pm 

tc27 wrote:

It has, althought like most things the day to day battle seems to take place on Twitter.

Th hypocrisy of watching them all screeching at each other like a bunch of school kids at the Scottish Parliament whilst the SNP MP's turn up their nose at the same in Westminster is something else.