Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 65  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20837
unseenwork wrote:
Still on my Yonder kick, if you can get yourself a bottle of their Bees & Things & Flowers that has been sitting in the bottle for a couple of months dear god you really should do so. That has aged into a superb floral complexity of a beer.

My local has a couple in the cellar and I have no plans this evening. Cheers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20837
happyhooker wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
Still on my Yonder kick, if you can get yourself a bottle of their Bees & Things & Flowers that has been sitting in the bottle for a couple of months dear god you really should do so. That has aged into a superb floral complexity of a beer.

My local has a couple in the cellar and I have no plans this evening. Cheers.

Not my normal style, but that was very nice indeed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15652
JPNZ wrote:
Had a great night at the sawmill brewing tasting this evening. Pilsner, XPA, passion fruit sour and dark ale samples. Met up with the head brewer from the laboratory out Lincoln ways and he said tomorrow they have 800kg of fresh hops arriving at beer baroness (pomeroys for out of town folk) where they get contract brewing done.

He said we are only weeks away from fresh Hop beer season. My favourite time of year! Cannot wait to spend weeks on the taps and see what the best craft brewers have got in store 😃


That my brother in law's favourite watering hole. Haven't had the pleasure myself, yet.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:27 am
Posts: 482
Location: Mostly in my own head
Ted. wrote:
JPNZ wrote:
Had a great night at the sawmill brewing tasting this evening. Pilsner, XPA, passion fruit sour and dark ale samples. Met up with the head brewer from the laboratory out Lincoln ways and he said tomorrow they have 800kg of fresh hops arriving at beer baroness (pomeroys for out of town folk) where they get contract brewing done.

He said we are only weeks away from fresh Hop beer season. My favourite time of year! Cannot wait to spend weeks on the taps and see what the best craft brewers have got in store 😃


That my brother in law's favourite watering hole. Haven't had the pleasure myself, yet.


Spent abit of time dinking sawmills beers while up there at the end of last year and really enjoyed them. My mate at Mean Doses just put his fresh hop pils (his first of his new kit) on tap in his store and thats come out great. Also tried Duncans super fresh and really really enjoyed that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:30 pm
Posts: 12384
Image

A rather apt ale now stocked at my local bottle shop.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:28 am
Posts: 17155
happyhooker wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
Still on my Yonder kick, if you can get yourself a bottle of their Bees & Things & Flowers that has been sitting in the bottle for a couple of months dear god you really should do so. That has aged into a superb floral complexity of a beer.

My local has a couple in the cellar and I have no plans this evening. Cheers.

Not my normal style, but that was very nice indeed.

Witbier certainly wouldn't be mine either (which is why I had that bottle kicking about for a while) but the saison tartness really gave me something to grasp onto such that it didn't taste like a bunch of estery potpourri.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16778
This place https://doublevisionbrewing.com/ is about 100m from my work, have been sampling their wares for the last few months.

Their APA is currently going down nicely.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 4023
Massively indulged my Brown Ale fetish last night with a New England Brewery Tap takeover.

They had a Brut Peach double IPA that was lethal - too easy to drink at 6 .8%

I was still pissed on the train to work this morning :blush:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20837
I haven't seen marble lagonda for a couple of years. Just reaquainting myself with it now. Stunning beer. Nothing shouty but beautifully balanced.

Also had a couple of halves of pöhjala cocobänger the other day. Truly excellent imperial stout, but be careful at 12.5%


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:28 am
Posts: 17155
happyhooker wrote:
I haven't seen marble lagonda for a couple of years. Just reaquainting myself with it now. Stunning beer. Nothing shouty but beautifully balanced.

Also had a couple of halves of pöhjala cocobänger the other day. Truly excellent imperial stout, but be careful at 12.5%

I haven't had it in a while now, in part I suppose because it's always lived in the shadow of Dobber, Bitter and Pint for me. Hmm hopefully some comes in with the Good Measure's Marble order they're getting in soon.

Pohjala know stouts now, never been blown away by their other beers but have always really enjoyed their dark stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:58 am
Posts: 1302
Location: Christchurch
Purchased a couple of these last night, very much looking forward to trying

Image

Also these are stunning!

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:27 am
Posts: 482
Location: Mostly in my own head
JPNZ wrote:
Purchased a couple of these last night, very much looking forward to trying

Image

Also these are stunning!

Image

I've found most of there stuff pretty good apart from the 6 packs which i guess are just a money spinner.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20837
Lidl have got hold of some pretty decent beers atmo.

Elvis juice from Brewdog and oakham citra two of the better ones. £1.49 a can/bottle


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20837
And at the other end of the price spectrum (well, not cheap anyway) try the pressure drop/basqueland brew co's collaboration open house. Ddh with sabro, Amarillo and orange zest.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:28 am
Posts: 17155
You were absolutely spot on about Lagonda I have to say, had it the other weekend and boy it was right up there with the best of the best from today. Also see Good Chemistry's Timelapse and Extra Special, excellent versions of classic bitters without anything by way of fustiness.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20837
unseenwork wrote:
You were absolutely spot on about Lagonda I have to say, had it the other weekend and boy it was right up there with the best of the best from today. Also see Good Chemistry's Timelapse and Extra Special, excellent versions of classic bitters without anything by way of fustiness.

I'll keep an eye out, haven't tried those.

Did you have lagonda on cask or keg


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4792
Location: 'ertfordshire
happyhooker wrote:
And at the other end of the price spectrum (well, not cheap anyway) try the pressure drop/basqueland brew co's collaboration open house. Ddh with sabro, Amarillo and orange zest.

Just ordered some of that and the Deya collab Two Weeks in Florida made with citra mosaic and simcoe cryo hops
Is it me or have they upped their game since they installed the canning line?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:28 am
Posts: 17155
happyhooker wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
You were absolutely spot on about Lagonda I have to say, had it the other weekend and boy it was right up there with the best of the best from today. Also see Good Chemistry's Timelapse and Extra Special, excellent versions of classic bitters without anything by way of fustiness.

I'll keep an eye out, haven't tried those.

Did you have lagonda on cask or keg

It was can actually! Though there's talk of the Good Measure putting in a big Marble order in soon enough so I should be getting it again probably on cask.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20837
I think that the improvement, certainly in range, has been noticeable in the last 9 months. It took them that long to get the hang of the brewery and it's capabilities. Also, they were pretty skint when we finished the build so they concentrated in boshing out the old favourites.

Ps, they haven't got a canning line yet, I'm installing one soon-they use mobile canning atmo.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4792
Location: 'ertfordshire
happyhooker wrote:
I think that the improvement, certainly in range, has been noticeable in the last 9 months. It took them that long to get the hang of the brewery and it's capabilities. Also, they were pretty skint when we finished the build so they concentrated in boshing out the old favourites.

Ps, they haven't got a canning line yet, I'm installing one soon-they use mobile canning atmo.

Aaah thanks.
I’ve noticed since our visit last summer. Will it be 100% cans when you’ve done?
Need to book another visit there and to the Experiment now the rugby seasons finished
You mentioned on another thread you were heading to Newcastle for the ERC final, any pubs you’ve made a note to visit or recommend? I’m up there for a long weekend and going to the final though staying with a mate in Corbridge.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20837
SaintK wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
I think that the improvement, certainly in range, has been noticeable in the last 9 months. It took them that long to get the hang of the brewery and it's capabilities. Also, they were pretty skint when we finished the build so they concentrated in boshing out the old favourites.

Ps, they haven't got a canning line yet, I'm installing one soon-they use mobile canning atmo.

Aaah thanks.
I’ve noticed since our visit last summer. Will it be 100% cans when you’ve done?
Need to book another visit there and to the Experiment now the rugby seasons finished
You mentioned on another thread you were heading to Newcastle for the ERC final, any pubs you’ve made a note to visit or recommend? I’m up there for a long weekend and going to the final though staying with a mate in Corbridge.

I'm still waiting on confirmation on my ticket, so haven't planned anything yet, although the wylam brewery is always a must.

I'm not 100% sure, but we're putting it where the bottling machine is. I'll let you know in two weeks. Let know when you're down.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23801
Location: SOB>Todd
Was off in Glendalough with the fam not too long ago and had this ....
Image

Really tasty beer, recommended.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4792
Location: 'ertfordshire
happyhooker wrote:
SaintK wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
I think that the improvement, certainly in range, has been noticeable in the last 9 months. It took them that long to get the hang of the brewery and it's capabilities. Also, they were pretty skint when we finished the build so they concentrated in boshing out the old favourites.

Ps, they haven't got a canning line yet, I'm installing one soon-they use mobile canning atmo.

Aaah thanks.
I’ve noticed since our visit last summer. Will it be 100% cans when you’ve done?
Need to book another visit there and to the Experiment now the rugby seasons finished
You mentioned on another thread you were heading to Newcastle for the ERC final, any pubs you’ve made a note to visit or recommend? I’m up there for a long weekend and going to the final though staying with a mate in Corbridge.

I'm still waiting on confirmation on my ticket, so haven't planned anything yet, although the wylam brewery is always a must.

I'm not 100% sure, but we're putting it where the bottling machine is. I'll let you know in two weeks. Let know when you're down.

Loving Wylam beers at the moment.
Let me know about ticket. I’m possibly traveling with a spare. I’ve offered it to my mates son who hasn’t come back to me as yet
Will do.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19306
Location: A vacant lot next to a pile of rubble
JPNZ wrote:
Purchased a couple of these last night, very much looking forward to trying

Image

Also these are stunning!

Image


I'm enjoying a hold my beer right now. :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20837
SaintK wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
SaintK wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
I think that the improvement, certainly in range, has been noticeable in the last 9 months. It took them that long to get the hang of the brewery and it's capabilities. Also, they were pretty skint when we finished the build so they concentrated in boshing out the old favourites.

Ps, they haven't got a canning line yet, I'm installing one soon-they use mobile canning atmo.

Aaah thanks.
I’ve noticed since our visit last summer. Will it be 100% cans when you’ve done?
Need to book another visit there and to the Experiment now the rugby seasons finished
You mentioned on another thread you were heading to Newcastle for the ERC final, any pubs you’ve made a note to visit or recommend? I’m up there for a long weekend and going to the final though staying with a mate in Corbridge.

I'm still waiting on confirmation on my ticket, so haven't planned anything yet, although the wylam brewery is always a must.

I'm not 100% sure, but we're putting it where the bottling machine is. I'll let you know in two weeks. Let know when you're down.

Loving Wylam beers at the moment.
Let me know about ticket. I’m possibly traveling with a spare. I’ve offered it to my mates son who hasn’t come back to me as yet
Will do.

Google image the actual brewery. It's stunning. An old arts centre

And will do re ticket, cheers


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:06 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4910
Location: Te Ika a Maui
I have hardly drunk for ages, but after a long day's work recently I picked up half a dozen of Boundary Road Breweries' Bouncing Czech Pilsener. Mmmmmmmmmmmh. What a difference to that normal NZ breweries' crap with the sweet after taste. Severely hoppy, I'm impressed. Easily competes with the German beers in the same price range, which I experimented with after tasting how nice beer could be.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15258
Location: STRAYA!
My local just got a bunch of Deep Creek and Deschutes beers in. Also picked up a 4 pack of Panhead Vandal. Keen to try that bad boy out.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19306
Location: A vacant lot next to a pile of rubble
usermame wrote:
I have hardly drunk for ages, but after a long day's work recently I picked up half a dozen of Boundary Road Breweries' Bouncing Czech Pilsener. Mmmmmmmmmmmh. What a difference to that normal NZ breweries' crap with the sweet after taste. Severely hoppy, I'm impressed. Easily competes with the German beers in the same price range, which I experimented with after tasting how nice beer could be.


You are in for some treats. Boundary Road is a step above the old fashioned main stream piddle, but it's entry level "craft" beer mostly. And even just in the pilsner style (if that's your thing) you are going to find ones that are on another level again.

Enjoy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19306
Location: A vacant lot next to a pile of rubble
Thomas wrote:
My local just got a bunch of Deep Creek and Deschutes beers in. Also picked up a 4 pack of Panhead Vandal. Keen to try that bad boy out.


I quite like that. A bit dangerous at 8% though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10903
Boundary Road is faux craft from its first sale to now. Started by third major player in NZ, Independent Breweries. It’s pretty average.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:26 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4910
Location: Te Ika a Maui
What's a worthy Pilsner then?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20837
usermame wrote:
What's a worthy Pilsner then?

You're a kiwi, right?

Not had may kiwi pilsners over here but quite enjoyed garage project's pills'n'thrills and 8 wired German pilsner.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:58 pm
Posts: 144
For me it depends on where I am , in Cardiff first couple Rev James , then on to the SA, all by Brains.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:33 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4910
Location: Te Ika a Maui
happyhooker wrote:
usermame wrote:
What's a worthy Pilsner then?

You're a kiwi, right?

Not had may kiwi pilsners over here but quite enjoyed garage project's pills'n'thrills and 8 wired German pilsner.

Yes. Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:35 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4910
Location: Te Ika a Maui
mr bungle wrote:
Boundary Road is faux craft from its first sale to now. Started by third major player in NZ, Independent Breweries. It’s pretty average.

What did you think of Bouncing Czech?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:52 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4910
Location: Te Ika a Maui
I started checking out various mentioned beers on ratemybeer and untapped. Interesting.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20837
usermame wrote:
I started checking out various mentioned beers on ratemybeer and untapped. Interesting.

Remember that pilsners will often rate low because they're not 'interesting '

Ie untapped is full of fúcking wanky beer snobs


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19306
Location: A vacant lot next to a pile of rubble
happyhooker wrote:
usermame wrote:
I started checking out various mentioned beers on ratemybeer and untapped. Interesting.

Remember that pilsners will often rate low because they're not 'interesting '

Ie untapped is full of fúcking wanky beer snobs


True that.

Emersons and Tuatara pilsners are pretty good traditional style pilsners. Eagles pilsner is also pretty good and has won several awards. Wanaka beer works used to do a good one.

Nothing wrong with the bouncing czeck. It's an easy drinking pils and is often half the price of the others. It's often in the fridge at one of my mates places and I've never said no yet.

Boundary road is faux craft as already mentioned, but they're usually a level above the NZB and DB main stream beers. And credit were credit is due, they have introduced a lot of traditional beer drinkers to new styles. And some of their brews such as the hoppelganger get reasonably good ratings even among the Untappd beer snobs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:30 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4910
Location: Te Ika a Maui
Fat Old Git wrote:
And some of their brews such as the hoppelganger get reasonably good ratings even among the Untappd beer snobs.

Haven't seen that one. I'm not sure I give a fuck whether a beer is 'craft' if I enjoy it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:33 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4910
Location: Te Ika a Maui
Fat Old Git wrote:
Emersons and Tuatara pilsners are pretty good traditional style pilsners. Eagles pilsner is also pretty good and has won several awards. Wanaka beer works used to do a good one.

Saw Emersons, will give that a try next time. Care to expand on the differences I should look for?


Last edited by usermame on Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 65  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bokkom, Crazy Ed, CrazyIslander, Dark, Debenair, DragsterDriver, gonesouth, Google Adsense [Bot], I like haggis, Jensrsa, JONESA3, Keith, kingswood, Liquid_Len, Matt Henjak, Risteard, Shrekles, TokenSarriesFan, usermame, wamberal99, Willie Falloon and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group