Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 65  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:23 pm 

unseenwork wrote:
Still on my Yonder kick, if you can get yourself a bottle of their Bees & Things & Flowers that has been sitting in the bottle for a couple of months dear god you really should do so. That has aged into a superb floral complexity of a beer.

My local has a couple in the cellar and I have no plans this evening. Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:46 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
Still on my Yonder kick, if you can get yourself a bottle of their Bees & Things & Flowers that has been sitting in the bottle for a couple of months dear god you really should do so. That has aged into a superb floral complexity of a beer.

Not my normal style, but that was very nice indeed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:06 am 

JPNZ wrote:
Had a great night at the sawmill brewing tasting this evening. Pilsner, XPA, passion fruit sour and dark ale samples. Met up with the head brewer from the laboratory out Lincoln ways and he said tomorrow they have 800kg of fresh hops arriving at beer baroness (pomeroys for out of town folk) where they get contract brewing done.

He said we are only weeks away from fresh Hop beer season. My favourite time of year! Cannot wait to spend weeks on the taps and see what the best craft brewers have got in store 😃

That my brother in law's favourite watering hole. Haven't had the pleasure myself, yet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:30 am 

Ted. wrote:
JPNZ wrote:
Had a great night at the sawmill brewing tasting this evening. Pilsner, XPA, passion fruit sour and dark ale samples. Met up with the head brewer from the laboratory out Lincoln ways and he said tomorrow they have 800kg of fresh hops arriving at beer baroness (pomeroys for out of town folk) where they get contract brewing done.

He said we are only weeks away from fresh Hop beer season. My favourite time of year! Cannot wait to spend weeks on the taps and see what the best craft brewers have got in store 😃

That my brother in law's favourite watering hole. Haven't had the pleasure myself, yet.

Spent abit of time dinking sawmills beers while up there at the end of last year and really enjoyed them. My mate at Mean Doses just put his fresh hop pils (his first of his new kit) on tap in his store and thats come out great. Also tried Duncans super fresh and really really enjoyed that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:37 pm 

A rather apt ale now stocked at my local bottle shop.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:02 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

Not my normal style, but that was very nice indeed.

Witbier certainly wouldn't be mine either (which is why I had that bottle kicking about for a while) but the saison tartness really gave me something to grasp onto such that it didn't taste like a bunch of estery potpourri.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:44 am 

This place https://doublevisionbrewing.com/ is about 100m from my work, have been sampling their wares for the last few months.

Their APA is currently going down nicely.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:47 am 

Massively indulged my Brown Ale fetish last night with a New England Brewery Tap takeover.

They had a Brut Peach double IPA that was lethal - too easy to drink at 6 .8%

I was still pissed on the train to work this morning :blush:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:11 pm 

I haven't seen marble lagonda for a couple of years. Just reaquainting myself with it now. Stunning beer. Nothing shouty but beautifully balanced.

Also had a couple of halves of pöhjala cocobänger the other day. Truly excellent imperial stout, but be careful at 12.5%

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:13 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
I haven't seen marble lagonda for a couple of years. Just reaquainting myself with it now. Stunning beer. Nothing shouty but beautifully balanced.

Also had a couple of halves of pöhjala cocobänger the other day. Truly excellent imperial stout, but be careful at 12.5%

I haven't had it in a while now, in part I suppose because it's always lived in the shadow of Dobber, Bitter and Pint for me. Hmm hopefully some comes in with the Good Measure's Marble order they're getting in soon.

Pohjala know stouts now, never been blown away by their other beers but have always really enjoyed their dark stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:05 am 

Purchased a couple of these last night, very much looking forward to trying

Also these are stunning!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:39 am 

JPNZ wrote:

Also these are stunning!

I've found most of there stuff pretty good apart from the 6 packs which i guess are just a money spinner.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:43 pm 

Lidl have got hold of some pretty decent beers atmo.

Elvis juice from Brewdog and oakham citra two of the better ones. £1.49 a can/bottle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:49 pm 

And at the other end of the price spectrum (well, not cheap anyway) try the pressure drop/basqueland brew co's collaboration open house. Ddh with sabro, Amarillo and orange zest.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:59 pm 

You were absolutely spot on about Lagonda I have to say, had it the other weekend and boy it was right up there with the best of the best from today. Also see Good Chemistry's Timelapse and Extra Special, excellent versions of classic bitters without anything by way of fustiness.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:03 pm 

unseenwork wrote:
You were absolutely spot on about Lagonda I have to say, had it the other weekend and boy it was right up there with the best of the best from today. Also see Good Chemistry's Timelapse and Extra Special, excellent versions of classic bitters without anything by way of fustiness.

I'll keep an eye out, haven't tried those.

Did you have lagonda on cask or keg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:06 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
And at the other end of the price spectrum (well, not cheap anyway) try the pressure drop/basqueland brew co's collaboration open house. Ddh with sabro, Amarillo and orange zest.

Just ordered some of that and the Deya collab Two Weeks in Florida made with citra mosaic and simcoe cryo hops
Is it me or have they upped their game since they installed the canning line?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:11 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

I'll keep an eye out, haven't tried those.

Did you have lagonda on cask or keg

It was can actually! Though there's talk of the Good Measure putting in a big Marble order in soon enough so I should be getting it again probably on cask.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:16 pm 

I think that the improvement, certainly in range, has been noticeable in the last 9 months. It took them that long to get the hang of the brewery and it's capabilities. Also, they were pretty skint when we finished the build so they concentrated in boshing out the old favourites.

Ps, they haven't got a canning line yet, I'm installing one soon-they use mobile canning atmo.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:48 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
I think that the improvement, certainly in range, has been noticeable in the last 9 months. It took them that long to get the hang of the brewery and it's capabilities. Also, they were pretty skint when we finished the build so they concentrated in boshing out the old favourites.

Ps, they haven't got a canning line yet, I'm installing one soon-they use mobile canning atmo.

Aaah thanks.
I’ve noticed since our visit last summer. Will it be 100% cans when you’ve done?
Need to book another visit there and to the Experiment now the rugby seasons finished
You mentioned on another thread you were heading to Newcastle for the ERC final, any pubs you’ve made a note to visit or recommend? I’m up there for a long weekend and going to the final though staying with a mate in Corbridge.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:33 pm 

SaintK wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

Aaah thanks.
I’ve noticed since our visit last summer. Will it be 100% cans when you’ve done?
Need to book another visit there and to the Experiment now the rugby seasons finished
You mentioned on another thread you were heading to Newcastle for the ERC final, any pubs you’ve made a note to visit or recommend? I’m up there for a long weekend and going to the final though staying with a mate in Corbridge.

I'm still waiting on confirmation on my ticket, so haven't planned anything yet, although the wylam brewery is always a must.

I'm not 100% sure, but we're putting it where the bottling machine is. I'll let you know in two weeks. Let know when you're down.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:41 pm 

Was off in Glendalough with the fam not too long ago and had this ....

Really tasty beer, recommended.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:02 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
SaintK wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

Aaah thanks.

I'm still waiting on confirmation on my ticket, so haven't planned anything yet, although the wylam brewery is always a must.

I'm not 100% sure, but we're putting it where the bottling machine is. I'll let you know in two weeks. Let know when you're down.

Loving Wylam beers at the moment.
Let me know about ticket. I’m possibly traveling with a spare. I’ve offered it to my mates son who hasn’t come back to me as yet
Will do.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:33 am 

JPNZ wrote:

Also these are stunning!

I'm enjoying a hold my beer right now. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:41 am 

SaintK wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
SaintK wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

Aaah thanks.

Loving Wylam beers at the moment.
Let me know about ticket. I’m possibly traveling with a spare. I’ve offered it to my mates son who hasn’t come back to me as yet
Will do.

Google image the actual brewery. It's stunning. An old arts centre

And will do re ticket, cheers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:06 am 

I have hardly drunk for ages, but after a long day's work recently I picked up half a dozen of Boundary Road Breweries' Bouncing Czech Pilsener. Mmmmmmmmmmmh. What a difference to that normal NZ breweries' crap with the sweet after taste. Severely hoppy, I'm impressed. Easily competes with the German beers in the same price range, which I experimented with after tasting how nice beer could be.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:18 am 

My local just got a bunch of Deep Creek and Deschutes beers in. Also picked up a 4 pack of Panhead Vandal. Keen to try that bad boy out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:52 am 

usermame wrote:
I have hardly drunk for ages, but after a long day's work recently I picked up half a dozen of Boundary Road Breweries' Bouncing Czech Pilsener. Mmmmmmmmmmmh. What a difference to that normal NZ breweries' crap with the sweet after taste. Severely hoppy, I'm impressed. Easily competes with the German beers in the same price range, which I experimented with after tasting how nice beer could be.

You are in for some treats. Boundary Road is a step above the old fashioned main stream piddle, but it's entry level "craft" beer mostly. And even just in the pilsner style (if that's your thing) you are going to find ones that are on another level again.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:56 am 

Thomas wrote:
My local just got a bunch of Deep Creek and Deschutes beers in. Also picked up a 4 pack of Panhead Vandal. Keen to try that bad boy out.

I quite like that. A bit dangerous at 8% though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:34 am 

Boundary Road is faux craft from its first sale to now. Started by third major player in NZ, Independent Breweries. It’s pretty average.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:26 pm 

What's a worthy Pilsner then?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:20 pm 

usermame wrote:

You're a kiwi, right?

Not had may kiwi pilsners over here but quite enjoyed garage project's pills'n'thrills and 8 wired German pilsner.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:04 pm 

For me it depends on where I am , in Cardiff first couple Rev James , then on to the SA, all by Brains.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:33 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
usermame wrote:

You're a kiwi, right?

Not had may kiwi pilsners over here but quite enjoyed garage project's pills'n'thrills and 8 wired German pilsner.

Yes. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:35 pm 

mr bungle wrote:
Boundary Road is faux craft from its first sale to now. Started by third major player in NZ, Independent Breweries. It’s pretty average.

What did you think of Bouncing Czech?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:52 pm 

I started checking out various mentioned beers on ratemybeer and untapped. Interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:25 pm 

usermame wrote:
I started checking out various mentioned beers on ratemybeer and untapped. Interesting.

Remember that pilsners will often rate low because they're not 'interesting '

Ie untapped is full of fúcking wanky beer snobs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:10 am 

happyhooker wrote:
usermame wrote:

Remember that pilsners will often rate low because they're not 'interesting '

Ie untapped is full of fúcking wanky beer snobs

True that.

Emersons and Tuatara pilsners are pretty good traditional style pilsners. Eagles pilsner is also pretty good and has won several awards. Wanaka beer works used to do a good one.

Nothing wrong with the bouncing czeck. It's an easy drinking pils and is often half the price of the others. It's often in the fridge at one of my mates places and I've never said no yet.

Boundary road is faux craft as already mentioned, but they're usually a level above the NZB and DB main stream beers. And credit were credit is due, they have introduced a lot of traditional beer drinkers to new styles. And some of their brews such as the hoppelganger get reasonably good ratings even among the Untappd beer snobs.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:30 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
And some of their brews such as the hoppelganger get reasonably good ratings even among the Untappd beer snobs.

Haven't seen that one. I'm not sure I give a fuck whether a beer is 'craft' if I enjoy it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:33 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
Emersons and Tuatara pilsners are pretty good traditional style pilsners. Eagles pilsner is also pretty good and has won several awards. Wanaka beer works used to do a good one.

Saw Emersons, will give that a try next time. Care to expand on the differences I should look for?

Last edited by usermame on Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 65  Next