Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:39 am 

usermame wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:
And some of their brews such as the hoppelganger get reasonably good ratings even among the Untappd beer snobs.

Haven't seen that one. I'm not sure I give a fuck whether a beer is 'craft' if I enjoy it.

Ultimately that is all that matters. I heard the following phrase I relation to wine, but it could easily apply to beer as well.

" a good wine us one you like the taste of and can afford to drink. "

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:01 am 

usermame wrote:
Saw Emersons, will give that a try next time. Care to expand on the differences I should look for?

Fat Old Git wrote:
" a good wine us one you like the taste of and can afford to drink. "
I guess that takes care of that. Fair enough.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:41 am 

Sorry, forgot to answer the second part of your question. I would say Emerson's Pilsner is probably a bit more balanced overall. Emersons is now owned by NZB (although I understand they have left it alone other than funding it and providing their supply network), so is often available on tap in Lion pubs.

But it all comes down to person taste. And that can be a movable feast as our palates and tastes change.

Ultimately, if you like it that's all that matters and is the only measure any of us really need.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:50 am 

usermame wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:
And some of their brews such as the hoppelganger get reasonably good ratings even among the Untappd beer snobs.

Haven't seen that one. I'm not sure I give a fuck whether a beer is 'craft' if I enjoy it.

I only mentioned Boundary Road's lineage after you talked of the big boys average brews.

I don't care much either, some very picky beer snobs turned away from Emerson's & Panhead once they sold to Lion. Me, I embraced the greater distribution and availability :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:54 am 

usermame wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:
Emersons and Tuatara pilsners are pretty good traditional style pilsners. Eagles pilsner is also pretty good and has won several awards. Wanaka beer works used to do a good one.

Saw Emersons, will give that a try next time. Care to expand on the differences I should look for?

Quote:
3. Emerson’s Pilsner – Probably the single most important beer in introducing Kiwis to the beauty of hops. It was also the beer that sent me (and no doubt others) crashing through the craft beer “gateway”. The beer started out as an experiment in making a totally organic beer. Brewer Richard Emerson was asked by representatives of the organic industry to make a beer for them. “I wanted to make a lager completely different to all other lagers and wow, it had a unique flavour. I told myself at the time this was the sauvignon blanc of beers.” The beer started out as New Zealand Biograin’s “Pride of the Plains Pilsner” but eventually it grew so popular that Emerson put it out under his own name. Taking the traditional pilsner recipe and spiking it with Kiwi ingredients not only created a gateway for Kiwi drinkers but opened the door to other New Zealand brewers, showing what was possible using New Zealand produce.

https://www.beernation.co.nz/nzs-50-greatest-beers/

As a mate brewed for Emerson's, it was very much the gateway beer for me too. NZ style pilsner, so sweeter than Czech.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:04 am 

mr bungle wrote:
usermame wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

I only mentioned Boundary Road's lineage after you talked of the big boys average brews.

I don't care much either, some very picky beer snobs turned away from Emerson's & Panhead once they sold to Lion. Me, I embraced the greater distribution and availability :thumbup:

I remember the first time I went into a bar where I was expecting to order a speights only to discover supercharger on tap. :o

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:16 am 

mr bungle wrote:

Nothing worse than Hipster beer snobs who never had to endure Oz (and presumably) beers before the emergence of craft beer.

Stopping drinking one because the brewer's hit the jackpot and sold for a nice profit is absolutely the sign of someone still living at home or receiving parental cash without having to break out on your own.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:57 am 

mr bungle wrote:
As a mate brewed for Emerson's, it was very much the gateway beer for me too. NZ style pilsner, so sweeter than Czech.

Thanks. I dislike sweet after taste, as I mentioned, and why I enjoyed Bouncing Czech so much. I'll still give Emerson's a try if only to explore the limits of my envelope.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:03 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
I remember the first time I went into a bar where I was expecting to order a speights only to discover supercharger on tap. :o

Speights is exactly the sweet after taste beer I'm talking about. Or is it Tui. Probably both, as it is years since I was sucked in by the advertising then couldn't believe how unrefreshing and bland the product was.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:47 am 

usermame wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

Speights is exactly the sweet after taste beer I'm talking about. Or is it Tui. Probably both, as it is years since I was sucked in by the advertising then couldn't believe how unrefreshing and bland the product was.

Tui probably has a sweeter aftertaste. But they are both bland and a bit insipid to my palate.

I hear you re the advertising. Best definition I've ever heard for craft beer was "beer made without the influence of accountants or marketing people." I remember listening to a local brewer talk about how he had come up with his latest beer, and his comment was "I just thought about what I would like to drink".

Of course, he then has to be skillful enough to get that right, but it's a good starting point.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:47 am 

usermame wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

Steinlager, especially Pure, and all the DBs are sweeter.

I’ve found plenty of times, if a German is in town they’ll far prefer a Speights to any of the even slightly hoppy craft we excel in. They just don’t brew like that. Our scene is very Yank oriented, much like Oz.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:09 am 

I've found the same. Many preferring beers I find quite bland and generic over beers I rate highly.

I did find some German breweries doing new world style craft beer when I was there in 2017 though. Ratsherrn Brauerei, and Brauerei Lemke for example.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:03 am 

happyhooker wrote:
SaintK wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
I think that the improvement, certainly in range, has been noticeable in the last 9 months. It took them that long to get the hang of the brewery and it's capabilities. Also, they were pretty skint when we finished the build so they concentrated in boshing out the old favourites.

Ps, they haven't got a canning line yet, I'm installing one soon-they use mobile canning atmo.

Aaah thanks.
I’ve noticed since our visit last summer. Will it be 100% cans when you’ve done?
Need to book another visit there and to the Experiment now the rugby seasons finished
You mentioned on another thread you were heading to Newcastle for the ERC final, any pubs you’ve made a note to visit or recommend? I’m up there for a long weekend and going to the final though staying with a mate in Corbridge.

I'm still waiting on confirmation on my ticket, so haven't planned anything yet, although the wylam brewery is always a must.

I'm not 100% sure, but we're putting it where the bottling machine is. I'll let you know in two weeks. Let know when you're down.

Sorry HH, mate's son has taken the spare ticket!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:07 am 

Just checked out some Emerson's Pilsner. Yes, it's better balanced than Bouncing Czech. I don't think it's twice as good, though, so I might stick with Bouncing Czech at half the price.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:33 am 

I'm a bit of a fan of Emerson's passionfruit notes without being too sweet, though.

I checked out Moa dry hopped pilsner. Slightly too off/acrid an after taste for me.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:43 am 

usermame wrote:
Just checked out some Emerson's Pilsner. Yes, it's better balanced than Bouncing Czech. I don't think it's twice as good, though, so I might stick with Bouncing Czech at half the price.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:52 am 

usermame wrote:
I'm a bit of a fan of Emerson's passionfruit notes without being too sweet, though.

I checked out Moa dry hopped pilsner. Slightly too off/acrid an after taste for me.

Moa started out with a hiss and a roar, but tried to expand too fash I think, and their quality went down as a result. They still do the occasional brew that pretty good, but most of the range is pretty average these days.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:42 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
usermame wrote:

Moa started out with a hiss and a roar, but tried to expand too fash I think, and their quality went down as a result. They still do the occasional brew that pretty good, but most of the range is pretty average these days.

Their packaging makes me feel like I should be drinking wine. I finally had a good one of theirs a year or so back. Not really a fan.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:45 am 

usermame wrote:

Boundary Road is $12 per 6-pack at Countdown. Bugger me.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:56 am 

SaintK wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
SaintK wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
I think that the improvement, certainly in range, has been noticeable in the last 9 months. It took them that long to get the hang of the brewery and it's capabilities. Also, they were pretty skint when we finished the build so they concentrated in boshing out the old favourites.

Ps, they haven't got a canning line yet, I'm installing one soon-they use mobile canning atmo.

Aaah thanks.
I’ve noticed since our visit last summer. Will it be 100% cans when you’ve done?
Need to book another visit there and to the Experiment now the rugby seasons finished
You mentioned on another thread you were heading to Newcastle for the ERC final, any pubs you’ve made a note to visit or recommend? I’m up there for a long weekend and going to the final though staying with a mate in Corbridge.

I'm still waiting on confirmation on my ticket, so haven't planned anything yet, although the wylam brewery is always a must.

I'm not 100% sure, but we're putting it where the bottling machine is. I'll let you know in two weeks. Let know when you're down.

Sorry HH, mate's son has taken the spare ticket!

No worries, thanks for letting me know.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 11:30 am 

mr bungle wrote:
usermame wrote:

A good price don't you think? I certainly do.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 11:37 am 

usermame wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
usermame wrote:

It's fully fake craft at that price. You could tell straight off from the packaging, really. But... if it tastes good, get into it. My brother lives in Prague, much lower cost of living, but he's shocked at what a round of drinks costs in NZ. I'm basically right into Panhead, Emerson's, Garage Project, Liberty, 8 Wired etc. I do sometimes buy a doz cans of Speights for a change up. Might have to get into some more Macs and Boundary Road and ease the wallet.

Although, these days we consume much less beer, and drink better quality, sample more styles.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 11:50 am 

mr bungle wrote:
usermame wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
usermame wrote:

It's fully fake craft at that price
What are the attributes of fake craft beer?

edit...Have you tried Bouncing Czech?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:15 pm 

usermame wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
usermame wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
usermame wrote:

It's fully fake craft at that price
What are the attributes of fake craft beer?

Firstly, I don’t have any issue with drinking any beer at any price. I’ll often go for a handle of Speight’s, and enjoy it. I do laugh at those who proudly drink ‘green bottles only’ and can’t get their heads around traditional beer styles in the craft scene, let alone anything with a touch of hops.

Boundary Rd has faux reliced packaging and craft style beer names, selling itself as craft, but is made by our third largest brewer and is at a price point probably to entice those sick of the big batch brews and looking for something different, but not too out there.

Quote:
edit...Have you tried Bouncing Czech?

I have a Czech sister in law and find the name offensive. ;)

I’m getting a sixer this weekend and will report back. Although I’m not a huge fan of traditional pils like Pilsner Urquell. My father in law’s favourite beer is BRB’s Golden Lager, but then again he used to have cans of Rheineck on his boat... I gotta draw the line somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:24 pm 

Pilsner Urquell is utter muck, bloody awful stuff

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:25 pm 

sewa wrote:

Sometimes it's all you got when jonesing for some Czech.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:44 pm 

sewa wrote:

In comparison with many lagers out there it really isn't.

Do any of our kiwi lot know crafty trout brewing in taupo? Just met the brewer who seemed remarkably ignorant about beer.

Saintk, no worries, cheers for the thought. Meeting my possibility tonight so fingers crossed.

Last edited by happyhooker on Wed May 01, 2019 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:55 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
Saintk, no worries, cheers for the thought. Meeting my possibility tonight so fingers crossed.

Good luck!!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:16 am 

usermame wrote:
What's a worthy Pilsner then?

IMO grab some Epic awakening, Liberty Halo or as mentioned thrills and pils. The panhead port rd pilsner is not bad either

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:30 am 

JPNZ wrote:
usermame wrote:

IMO grab some Epic awakening, Liberty Halo or as mentioned thrills and pils. The panhead port rd pilsner is not bad either

Will look for them, but my Emerson's experience makes me think I may not be a convert.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 6:09 am 

usermame wrote:
JPNZ wrote:
usermame wrote:

Will look for them, but my Emerson's experience makes me think I may not be a convert.

One taste didn’t do it for me either. If you’re beginning to expand your taste experience for different beers, it takes time.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:40 am 

SaintK wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

Good luck!!

Enjoy Newcastle 😓

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:54 am 

usermame wrote:
JPNZ wrote:
usermame wrote:

You can buy all of those in single bottles, so you don't waste 5 if you don't like it. You sound relatively price driven? If so craft may take some getting used to, I will happily pay $9 to $14 per 500ml bottle/can of decent craft beer.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:02 am 

JPNZ wrote:
usermame wrote:
JPNZ wrote:
usermame wrote:

You can buy all of those in single bottles, so you don't waste 5 if you don't like it. You sound relatively price driven? If so craft may take some getting used to, I will happily pay $9 to $14 per 500ml bottle/can of decent craft beer.

What's the exchange rate nowadays?? 2:1.

£7 would be on the high end of my price bracket and would have to be something exceptional, but I regularly pay £4-5.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:08 am 

happyhooker wrote:

£7 would be on the high end of my price bracket and would have to be something exceptional, but I regularly pay £4-5.

Yes spot on with exchange. That would be the most I'd pay too, its quite funny that decent craft beer in NZ is very similar in price between local pubs and supermarkets. Mass market beer of course is always cheaper at supermarkets or bottle stores.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:15 am 

JPNZ wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

Yes spot on with exchange. That would be the most I'd pay too, its quite funny that decent craft beer in NZ is very similar in price between local pubs and supermarkets. Mass market beer of course is always cheaper at supermarkets or bottle stores.

It's starting to get cheaper here in supermarkets, but that's mostly due to a few breweries selling up and leads to the discussion of whether they're actually craft or not. It'll be interesting to see where magic rock and Beavertown go.

A base level acceptable pale ale in a shop kernel/5points, starts at £2.50 for a 330mml can/bottle but can ramp up rapidly

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:35 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
JPNZ wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

It's starting to get cheaper here in supermarkets, but that's mostly due to a few breweries selling up and leads to the discussion of whether they're actually craft or not. It'll be interesting to see where magic rock and Beavertown go.

A base level acceptable pale ale in a shop kernel/5points, starts at £2.50 for a 330mml can/bottle but can ramp up rapidly

Beavertown appear to be going mainsteam, Waitrose and M&S are stocking them! Still good beers though.
I've been buying directly from some of the breweries as well as my local beershop. Not cheap though I get a 10% investors discount from Verdant. Generally you can pay anything between £4.00 to £6.00 for a 440ml can at up to 6.5%ABV and anything up to £8.00 for an 8% to 10% strength!

Had my first taste of a Yonder beer this week. Dunstans Exile Belgian style pale. Beautiful drop, complex, dry and really well balanced. It was a guest beer in Brewdog Covent Garden of all places.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:02 pm 

happyhooker wrote:

Went to West Berkshire Brewery in Yattingdon on Sunday. Shocked at how expensive a 330ml can of pale ale or bitter is (£3.30 each), but they'll sell you a pint of the same stuff for £4.00 :?

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:11 pm 

Speaking of M&S, I've only recently become aware of the range below

https://beertoday.co.uk/british-world-b ... nd-s-0918/

Some really nicely done beers for nothing. The Cornish Saison will be my go to beer for Summer Sessions.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:14 pm 

The Magic Rock Luminance is quite a remarkable thing in Tesco now for £3, just a smashing NEIPA but boy I feel guilty buying it these days.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next