Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:25 pm 

unseenwork wrote:
The Magic Rock Luminance is quite a remarkable thing in Tesco now for £3, just a smashing NEIPA but boy I feel guilty buying it these days.

I spoke to Stu about this the other day.

He feels he's let the industry down but the offer was too good to refuse and his partners were pushing him heavily in this direction. He's tied in for the next few years so hopefully will keep quality going. I'll still buy the beers as long as they're decent.

Next brewery I know to sell up: 5 points.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:28 am 

Sandstorm wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
A base level acceptable pale ale in a shop kernel/5points, starts at £2.50 for a 330mml can/bottle but can ramp up rapidly

Went to West Berkshire Brewery in Yattingdon on Sunday. Shocked at how expensive a 330ml can of pale ale or bitter is (£3.30 each), but they'll sell you a pint of the same stuff for £4.00 :?

About 6.50 pounds a pint in Oz

Craft beer is increasingly being sold in 4 packs fornthr old 6 pack price. Tax on craft breweries is extortionate

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:09 am 

Ok, Tuatara Motueka (edit...I just noticed the label, Moteureka). I like this better than Emerson's at 2/3rds the price. Instant passionfruit, where with Emerson's it's more mid range. No passionfruit at all in Bouncing Czech. Midway rough between Bouncing Czech and Emerson's.

I guess I'll have to keep exploring, but I think this is better value than Emerson's, maybe as good a value as Bouncing Czech.

Last edited by usermame on Tue May 07, 2019 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:56 am 

usermame wrote:
Ok, Tuatara Motueka. I like this better than Emerson's at 2/3rds the price. Instant passionfruit, where with Emerson's it's more mid range. No passionfruit at all in Bouncing Czech. Midway rough between Bouncing Czech and Emerson's.

I guess I'll have to keep exploring, but I think this is better value than Emerson's, maybe as good a value as Bouncing Czech.

:thumbup:

Tbf, I wouldn't normally pay the extra price for Emerson's pilsner either as it's a relatively simple style and the difference in price when compared to the difference in Quality is quite high.

But for other styles such as IPAs it can make a huge difference, and will to some extent reflect the additional costs of the ingredients.

Macs Miss Conduct is also a pretty good pilsner for the price. Although I've only ever had it at the end of a long day in the Koru Lounge so have never actually paid for it, so my opinion may be slightly colored. Beer at the end of a long day always tastes better. It similar to the lawn mower effect.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:06 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
Macs Miss Conduct is also a pretty good pilsner for the price. [...]

Beer at the end of a long day always tastes better. It similar to the lawn mower effect.
I'll certainly check that Mac's out.
Yeah, I'd just finished mowing the lawn when I tested the Tuatara but later sampling confirmed my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:10 am 

So, just checked out MIss Conduct. Similar style to Emerson's and Tuatara, close in effect/style and value to Tuatara imo. Looks like around $17.00 a half doz in West Liquor is the price point at which NZ Pilseners show fruity hop characteristics.

Won't buy BRB Golden Lager again, nor Moa's dry hopped Pilsener. BRB IPA was quite drinkable, at the same price as Bouncing Czech.

Last edited by usermame on Thu May 09, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:22 am 

My friends up North are raving about Garage Project's May fresh hop. Keen to try as soon as its in stores down here.

Just picked up the last 4 cans of Behemoth's Chocolate Fish stout, and 2 of their new Hazy double IPA (So fresh so mean) Have heard good things about the stout

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:57 am 

happyhooker wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
The Magic Rock Luminance is quite a remarkable thing in Tesco now for £3, just a smashing NEIPA but boy I feel guilty buying it these days.

He feels he's let the industry down but the offer was too good to refuse and his partners were pushing him heavily in this direction. He's tied in for the next few years so hopefully will keep quality going. I'll still buy the beers as long as they're decent.

HH
You know anything about Two Tribes in Kings Cross? Son went there on Friday and reckons it was pretty good. Not overly impressed with the Dancing in Fields IPA he bought back for me, was a bit ordinary. Got a Wylam collab sour to try and a porter to try which I hope are better
Never come across them before

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:00 am 

I think I've worked out my current Pilsener equation. If Mac's Miss Conduct has a price differential of =/< $2.00 greater than Bouncing Czech for half a dozen 330ml bottles, it's Mac's; otherwise the Czechs never stop bouncing.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:54 pm 

SaintK wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

HH
You know anything about Two Tribes in Kings Cross? Son went there on Friday and reckons it was pretty good. Not overly impressed with the Dancing in Fields IPA he bought back for me, was a bit ordinary. Got a Wylam collab sour to try and a porter to try which I hope are better

I've only had 2 of their beers - flaming galah and whatever their heferviessen is called.

Not impressed. Maybe if they stopped being cool and learnt to brew it might help. I left after 30 mins, but then it was loud, even for a Friday night.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:18 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
SaintK wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

HH

I've only had 2 of their beers - flaming galah and whatever their heferviessen is called.

Not impressed. Maybe if they stopped being cool and learnt to brew it might help. I left after 30 mins, but then it was loud, even for a Friday night.

Hmmm. Their website bears out your “cool” comment. Haven’t found too many reviews so will give it go next time in London, it’s only a 10 minute walk from Kings Cross. Not holding out much hope mind you

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:29 am 

usermame wrote:
I think I've worked out my current Pilsener equation. If Mac's Miss Conduct has a price differential of =/< $2.00 greater than Bouncing Czech for half a dozen 330ml bottles, it's Mac's; otherwise the Czechs never stop bouncing.

The Mac's is passable, but I wouldn't generally venture south of the Tuatara. 3 Boys, Parrot Dog and Panhead all do decent pils.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:23 am 

Had a pint of Pikes DIPA last night.

:nod:

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:26 am 

Having a pint of beer baroness madam brown at the moment. Can confirm it's still lovely.

And as the pub is attached to the brewery it's nz$11 for a proper 568ml pint.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:01 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
Having a pint of beer baroness madam brown at the moment. Can confirm it's still lovely.

That's a top beer which only seems to be infrequently and fleetingly available up here.

Thankfully I've been getting my hand on some McLeod's excellent Brown Porter.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:31 pm 

Gotta say, haven't found a single red ale I enjoy.
Such bitter taste to them.
Any Irish recommendations?

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:59 pm 

Floppykid wrote:

None.

Really don't like the style. Sorry not to have been more helpful

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:01 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

None.

Good to have back up for my opinion, they're sick.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:56 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

None.

Good to have back up for my opinion, they're sick.

+1. Never found one I liked even a little bit.

There are more good beers than ever before in more of the world than ever before. Don't waste your time with styles you don't like.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:09 pm 

Ted. wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

That's a top beer which only seems to be infrequently and fleetingly available up here.

Thankfully I've been getting my hand on some McLeod's excellent Brown Porter.

Nice. The Volstead had that on for a while. McLeod's do some lovely stuff.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 2:37 am 

Tried a couple of these Parrotdog Colin West Coast IPA’s last night. Lovely, balanced brew. A touch light in the aftertaste but very smooth for 7%.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:47 am 

Very nice. Try Keith, I think it’s the hazy ipa from the same range.

I’m enjoying the Jags fight back while immensely enjoying a Liberty brewing Invictus. 2019 fresh hop pale. Fantastic beer

Last edited by JPNZ on Sat May 11, 2019 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:52 am 

mr bungle wrote:
Tried a couple of these Parrotdog Colin West Coast IPA’s last night. Lovely, balanced brew. A touch light in the aftertaste but very smooth for 7%.

It's a lovely drop. Their "Keith" is also very good. There's a "Susan" as well, but I haven't managed to try that yet.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:56 pm 

Mine have always been: Corona, Stella Artois, and the beloved Port-a-gaff (Guiness with a dash of lemonade)

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:53 pm 

mightyreds wrote:
Mine have always been: Corona, Stella Artois, and the beloved Port-a-gaff (Guiness with a dash of lemonade)

You have the tastebuds of a sewer rat

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:10 pm 

mightyreds wrote:

Lemonade in Guinness? FFS man, that's a crime! Bet it pours easily in the glass as well?

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:37 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

None.

Not a fan either but Chimay Red is enjoyable. I just wouldnt pick it off a shelf where I could get a blue or a white say.

As for Irish, might as well stick to Smithwicks or McArdles. The craft ones are useless.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:51 pm 

Cwtch, fine fine pint on cask. Irish wise, always been a fan of 8 Degrees' Sunburnt red, let me think here.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:21 pm 

Boxcar Ira wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

None.

Not a fan either but Chimay Red is enjoyable. I just wouldnt pick it off a shelf where I could get a blue or a white say.

As for Irish, might as well stick to Smithwicks or McArdles. The craft ones are useless.

Chimay Red isn't a red ale. It's a dubbel.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:52 pm 

unseenwork wrote:
Cwtch, fine fine pint on cask. Irish wise, always been a fan of 8 Degrees' Sunburnt red, let me think here.

I find cwtch only just drinkable at best. Hook island was probably as good as I've tasted. Just don't like them.

Boxcar, did you forget about watney's red barrel?

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:54 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

I find cwtch only just drinkable at best. Hook island was probably as good as I've tasted. Just don't like them.

I love 'em to be honest, up there with a fine brown ale or 80 shilling as a comfort beer. Smithwicks would tend to be my Irish beer desert drink.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:58 pm 

unseenwork wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

I love 'em to be honest, up there with a fine brown ale or 80 shilling as a comfort beer. Smithwicks would tend to be my Irish beer desert drink.

It'd be a boring world if we all liked the same thing.

For instance, people think the sun shines out of verdant's arse, whereas I'm fairly ambivalent.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:00 pm 

Hellraiser wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

None.

Ah I realise I'm cheating slightly but it's red and it's an ale

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:02 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

Ha yeah. Reminds of Betty in the Rovers Return pulling the handle off of the pump

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:05 pm 

Actually if you're looking for an interesting one, White Hag's Meabh Rua is a big strong peat smoked red. Keep an eye out for Heaney's Red Ale, they're going to be a brewery to watch in general. Maybe would also count Kinnegar's Devil's Backbone even if they label it as an amber.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:10 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

It'd be a boring world if we all liked the same thing.

For instance, people think the sun shines out of verdant's arse, whereas I'm fairly ambivalent.

I mean if you like the 2 or 3 IPAs they keep relabeling they're great.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:23 pm 

unseenwork wrote:
Actually if you're looking for an interesting one, White Hag's Meabh Rua is a big strong peat smoked red. Keep an eye out for Heaney's Red Ale, they're going to be a brewery to watch in general. Maybe would also count Kinnegar's Devil's Backbone even if they label it as an amber.

Yeah I've had the White Hag. It's a bit different alright.

Haven't heard of Heaneys will keep an eye out for that

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:27 pm 

Boxcar Ira wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

Yeah I've had the White Hag. It's a bit different alright.

Haven't heard of Heaneys will keep an eye out for that

On Seamus' family farm, basically the talented one from Boundary doing their shit.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:03 pm 

Boxcar Ira wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

None.

Ah I realise I'm cheating slightly but it's red and it's an ale

A dubbel by definition is a brown ale.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:04 pm 

unseenwork wrote:

Barrel-aged Meabh Rua is damn nice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next