Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:14 am 

happyhooker wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:
Ted. wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Well, for all my slagging off of verdant for just making variants of the same juicy pales, I've just had something very decent from them.

A collab with kirkstall brewery called break even. Very nice pale ale ON CASK. 4.6%

Also check out pressure drop's new release (today). A Million Filaments 7.4% Blackberry, blackcurrant, milk sugar, and mosaic Sour IPA.

Guess where I went instead of doing the gardenđŸ€”

How is that still classed an IPA?

Based on an IPA but with additions I'm guessing.

Basically that. There's very little rigidity in how you name beers nowadays, but I'll expand when I have more time/energy.

In other news, I just finished off the evening with a very nice malty west coast style ipa (think Sierra Nevada torpedo style).

The odd thing was that it was from Utah which surprised me greatly.
Uinta brewery hop nosh ipa. Would drink again, however unlikely that would seem

Cheers, Happy. :thumbup:

I'm personally not a huge fan of sours, mainly as they play merry hell with my teeth and gut, but a few have surprised me. I am most definitely a fan of pale ales. And Brown ales and bitters. And Porters. And Stouts. And lagers, all done well of course.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:44 am 

Done well it's the important thing for any style

We certainly need some new style names for some of the newer creations. But inaccurate names aren't a new thing. Most of the kiwi and Aussie posters would have grown up drinking beers called "draught " that came in cans and bottles.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:51 am 

Ted. wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:
Ted. wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Well, for all my slagging off of verdant for just making variants of the same juicy pales, I've just had something very decent from them.

A collab with kirkstall brewery called break even. Very nice pale ale ON CASK. 4.6%

Also check out pressure drop's new release (today). A Million Filaments 7.4% Blackberry, blackcurrant, milk sugar, and mosaic Sour IPA.

Guess where I went instead of doing the gardenđŸ€”

Basically that. There's very little rigidity in how you name beers nowadays, but I'll expand when I have more time/energy.

In other news, I just finished off the evening with a very nice malty west coast style ipa (think Sierra Nevada torpedo style).

I'm personally not a huge fan of sours, mainly as they play merry hell with my teeth and gut, but a few have surprised me. I am most definitely a fan of pale ales. And Brown ales and bitters. And Porters. And Stouts. And lagers, all done well of course.

Try this one its bloody good

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:11 am 

Barman recommended this last night. Nice and fruity, so had a couple. Brewed at Deep Creek, I think.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:12 am 

This is ok, and almost reasonably priced.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:14 am 

I do not know if its been mentioned but I quite like Taula.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:43 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
Done well it's the important thing for any style

We certainly need some new style names for some of the newer creations. But inaccurate names aren't a new thing. Most of the kiwi and Aussie posters would have grown up drinking beers called "draught " that came in cans and bottles.

Indeed, draught bitters that they were sweet and fizzy but otherwise lifeless.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:46 am 

Hareaway wrote:
Ted. wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:
Ted. wrote:

Try this one its bloody good
"Hugely Delicious": show

And a big cheers to you too, Hareaway. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:48 am 

Harden up!!! wrote:

You should tell him/her. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:47 am 

Sour beers don't do it for me at all sadly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:52 am 

Harden up!!! wrote:

The original is ok, although in the generic international lager style. The Strong is like a mix of old fashioned home brew and rocket fuel.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:56 am 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

I started out thinking the same. Had my interest peaked by a beer that had "a hint of Flemish sour". Then tried a proper Belgium sour and couldn't understand how anyone could drink it. But some mold sours here kept my interest and my palate adapted until I ended up trying the Belgium one again and really enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:13 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

I started out thinking the same. Had my interest peaked by a beer that had "a hint of Flemish sour". Then tried a proper Belgium sour and couldn't understand how anyone could drink it. But some mold sours here kept my interest and my palate adapted until I ended up trying the Belgium one again and really enjoyed it.

For me it's a weather and situation thing. Sours are my go-to beer on a hot day or the first beer of a session.

Got a 4 pack of my mate's brewery's 2nd anniversary ale in the fridge. A 10% monster.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:25 am 

I'm a massive sours fan, especially in the heat a la Thomas.

I went to the Copenhagen beer festival about 5 years ago and pretty much drank them the whole weekend. There's much more variation than you'd imagine in the style. My local has had a few berlinerwiesses on recently- the stone and wood one is very good

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:27 am 

As long as they don't come with that green shite in them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:28 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:

Huh?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:31 am 

happyhooker wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

Huh?

It common in Berlin for them to serve Berliner with an added flavoring. One of them is green. Woodruff I think, whatever that is.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:32 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

Huh?

It common in Berlin for them to serve Berliner with an added flavoring. One of them is green. Woodruff I think, whatever that is.

Nope, haven't seen that over here thank god

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:40 am 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:44 am 

FĂșck

That

Shit.

It looks like a kids drink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:04 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

I am mildly (legitimately) Gluten intolerant and wheat/sour beers just cause my belly to roil.

Very uncomfortable.

x(

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:31 pm 

On the sours subject, gypsy hill people like us v2 bramble sour is fĂșcking lovely if you like them tart

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:00 pm 

Who was it asking about red ales?

Elusive brew's level up is the nicest I've ever had.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:31 am 

Had one of these last night, Epic really do love their hoppy beers. Triple IPA was a real mouthful but amazing beer all the same.

11.1% and 90IBU but doesn't feel overly strong. Great flavour

Its got nothing on their quadruple IPA brut named "thirteen" that weighs in at a hefty 15% alc.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:36 am 

I think the 13 was to celebrate their 13th birthday, but they miscalculated and it ended up at 15%.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:31 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
I think the 13 was to celebrate their 13th birthday, but they miscalculated and it ended up at 15%.

Yeah, I think I read that somewhere. Funny how they made the alpha triple 11.1% all the ones

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:42 am 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

I am mildly (legitimately) Gluten intolerant and wheat/sour beers just cause my belly to roil.

Very uncomfortable.

x(

If wheat is the issue you could try Flanders red ale, although from memory they usually still contain a small amount of wheat (other Belgium sours often contain about 50% wheat).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:55 am 

JPNZ wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

Yeah, I think I read that somewhere. Funny how they made the alpha triple 11.1% all the ones

If that's the case then they fuckedd up by missing the opportunity to barrel age it for a couple of years :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:09 pm 

Had one of Verdant's west coast IPAs yesterday and fĂșck it just sort of tasted like they remembered piney-ness should be in there and just layered it in with one of their more modern IPAs, resulting in this mushy piney mess. To be fair they're not the only ones who've done similar with this mini West Coast revival but boy it was emblematic of how lazy some of it has seemed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:51 pm 

unseenwork wrote:
Had one of Verdant's west coast IPAs yesterday and fĂșck it just sort of tasted like they remembered piney-ness should be in there and just layered it in with one of their more modern IPAs, resulting in this mushy piney mess. To be fair they're not the only ones who've done similar with this mini West Coast revival but boy it was emblematic of how lazy some of it has seemed.

Yup, completely agree. Had a few actual west coast ipas the other day which were wonderful. It's probably my favourite style

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:57 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

Yup, completely agree. Had a few actual west coast ipas the other day which were wonderful. It's probably my favourite style

Marble have done a couple of decent ones of late, but that's just a continuation of them brewing the style continuously over this last decade plus. I can be a big fan of the style but not when it leans overly so into a overly musty pithiness that the likes of Stone chuck out, I still like a bit of balance in there and crispness that the likes of Firestone Walker, Founders and Anchor would put out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:04 pm 

unseenwork wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

Marble have done a couple of decent ones of late, but that's just a continuation of them brewing the style continuously over this last decade plus. I can be a big fan of the style but not when it leans overly so into a overly musty pithiness that the likes of Stone chuck out, I still like a bit of balance in there and crispness that the likes of Firestone Walker, Founders and Anchor would put out.

The union Jack is excellent, torpedo was one of the beers that got me interested in beer.

I presume you're talking about hopoplata from marble. Because they're local, bosco is available in 24 hr shops around here!

Yea, I like them clean

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:07 pm 

unseenwork wrote:

Which one? I've tried most of them and there are some marked differences between some of them.
Am preferring Cloudwater West Coast 001 and Wylam's Jakehead at the moment. Bosko and Escape from the West Coast from Pressuredrop pretty decent as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:08 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

The union Jack is excellent, torpedo was one of the beers that got me interested in beer.

I presume you're talking about hopoplata from marble. Because they're local, bosco is available in 24 hr shops around here!

Yea, I like them clean

I only thought of Torpedo after I posted, Stone Cold Steve Austin's favourite beer I'll have you know. Man that was the first big can of stronger beer that I ever had, something special about sitting on a beach in St Andrews with one of those boyos.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:09 pm 

Unseen, I've agreed with you about amundsen not doing pales well.

Until now. Just had their collab with wylam called incendiary confusion. Neipa. 7.5% and fĆŻcking lovely

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:14 pm 

unseenwork wrote:
Stone Cold Steve Austin's favourite beer I'll have you know.

Pfft, he only drinks about 1/4 of the can.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:35 pm 

Great local brewer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:12 pm 

Are they the seaweed lot???

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:21 pm 

happyhooker wrote:

Until now. Just had their collab with wylam called incendiary confusion. Neipa. 7.5% and fĆŻcking lovely

Well I'd put a decent bit of the credit there! Will keep an eye out, think I'll be heading up to the real good off licence this weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:58 pm 

unseenwork wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

Well I'd put a decent bit of the credit there! Will keep an eye out, think I'll be heading up to the real good off licence this weekend.

Oh, indeed

Are you doing the Bristol cbf this weekend?

Also the lost and grounded summer brewhouse sessions look decent

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65  Next