Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:05 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Unseen, I've agreed with you about amundsen not doing pales well.

Until now. Just had their collab with wylam called incendiary confusion. Neipa. 7.5% and fůcking lovely

Well I'd put a decent bit of the credit there! Will keep an eye out, think I'll be heading up to the real good off licence this weekend.

Oh, indeed

Are you doing the Bristol cbf this weekend?

Also the lost and grounded summer brewhouse sessions look decent

Hmm, some of the ones I know had been talking about the CBF but I hadn't been planning on it. Went to a number of the Summer Sessions last year and while the beer was decent, they're a bit of a frustrating trek out of the way of things.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:11 pm 

unseenwork wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

Until now. Just had their collab with wylam called incendiary confusion. Neipa. 7.5% and fůcking lovely

Well I'd put a decent bit of the credit there! Will keep an eye out, think I'll be heading up to the real good off licence this weekend.

Oh, indeed

Hmm, some of the ones I know had been talking about the CBF but I hadn't been planning on it. Went to a number of the Summer Sessions last year and while the beer was decent, they're a bit of a frustrating trek out of the way of things.

Bloody millenials* want everything on their doorstep :twisted:

*I have no idea if you're a millennial

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:13 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

Oh, indeed

Bloody millenials* want everything on their doorstep :twisted:

*I have no idea if you're a millennial

Of course I am! It's more a case that it's just far enough from anything decent (including the other breweries in East Bristol) to be a right hassle for what is normally just a decent enough place to drink on a sunny day. Probably rather hang around Good Chemistry these days.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:14 pm 

Just taking the piss. I know it's a bit far out

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:21 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
Are they the seaweed lot???

Ja voll. Cymru Caviar.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:23 pm 

Crash_12 wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Are they the seaweed lot???

Ja voll. Cymru Caviar.

Yea, that was interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:31 pm 

Hmmm, 45 quid for the ticket on Saturday and Friday evening. Maybe if I can round up a crowd for it now!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:14 pm 

Bought some Amsterdam brewed Heineken to serve as a reference. Couldn't believe how disappointed in it I was. BRB any day of the week. In fact all the NZ beers I've tried recently. Even the worst were at least interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:21 pm 

usermame wrote:
Bought some Amsterdam brewed Heineken to serve as a reference. Couldn't believe how disappointed in it I was. BRB any day of the week. In fact all the NZ beers I've tried recently. Even the worst were at least interesting.

Maybe it hadn’t travelled well. It’s typically creamier on the keg and less chemical headache inducing than NZ version. Not something I’d drink much of, but much better than Kiwi brewed.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:26 pm 

Watched last NBA finals game and started with this 8.5% GP Boss Level Ultra IPA at 1pm :lol:

Followed by Epic & Sparks 9% Imperial Stout.

Garage Project must be right up there worldwide as far as the sheer volume of quality brews and variety they produce.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:45 pm 

usermame wrote:

This is where you went wrong!
Bilgewater wherever it's brewed.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:34 pm 

mr bungle wrote:
usermame wrote:

Maybe it hadn’t travelled well. It’s typically creamier on the keg and less chemical headache inducing than NZ version. Not something I’d drink much of, but much better than Kiwi brewed.

Was it you who was going to report back on Bouncing Czech?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:01 pm 

usermame wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
usermame wrote:

Was it you who was going to report back on Bouncing Czech?

Haven't tried it yet. Would prefer to buy a bottle than get a 6-pack.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:03 am 

Spent a dreary cold afternoon at Pomeroy’s in Christchurch surrounded by some of Garage Projects best. Party & bullshit, smoke and mirrors, no sleep till Brooklyn and Hapi Daze.

Now I’m in good form for tonight’s games :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:00 am 

mr bungle wrote:
Watched last NBA finals game and started with this 8.5% GP Boss Level Ultra IPA at 1pm :lol:

Want! Want NOW :x

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:08 am 

I'm quite impressed with BRB's Southern Pale Ale (Chocka Hopa) 5.5% @ $11.99 6 x 330ml for when the cricket is on. It's killing the others on price point. Their American Pale Ale was a bit too aggressive for me, even at 6.2% @ the same price.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:59 am 

usermame wrote:
I'm quite impressed with BRB's Southern Pale Ale (Chocka Hopa) 5.5% @ $11.99 6 x 330ml for when the cricket is on. It's killing the others on price point. Their American Pale Ale was a bit too aggressive for me, even at 6.2% @ the same price.

I never realised that Independent, who brew BRB, used to brew Ranfurly and NZ Lager.

Quote:
You may have missed the news, but next month there'll be a new force in Kiwi brewing, Asahi of Japan. Last Friday the Japanese company announced it will pay $1.5 billion for Independent Liquor, New Zealand's third largest brewer.

The purchase of Independent by Asahi will mean this country's three largest brewers, Lion, DB Breweries and Independent, will all be controlled from overseas. Lion is owned by Kirin, also of Japan, while DB Breweries belongs to Singapore-listed Asia Pacific Breweries, which in turn is part-owned by Dutch beer maker Heineken.

Founded in Auckland in 1987, Independent Liquor is best known for its RTDs (premixed alcoholic beverages), but with large breweries in both Australia and New Zealand it is also a significant player in Australasian brewing. As well as producing international lagers such as Carlsberg, Tuborg and Kingfisher under licence, Independent has made its name here with budget brands like New Zealand Lager, Ranfurly and Haagen.

In recent times, under the guidance of former Lion executive Julian Davidson, the company has broadened its range with a steady stream of new beers and ciders. As well as introducing a golden lager and a cider under the NZ Pure brand, last year two new Ranfurly beers, Frontier Lager and Station Pale Ale, emerged from the Boundary Road Brewery, a new name for Independent's giant Papakura brewhouse. Sadly both, in my view, are thin and bland.

Earlier this year Boundary Road attracted much media interest with a campaign which saw 999 Kiwis register as beer tasters, receive three test brews and then vote for their preferred option. The winning beer was then to be released as The Chosen One. Although I suspect I'm hardly their target consumer, the brewery was kind enough to send me the three beers, all golden lagers. I sampled them one evening with Soren Eriksen of 8 Wired Brewing and we found them comparatively similar, but with slightly varying ester and hop profiles. Having tried all three, we didn't bother to finish any of the bottles.

Last month The Chosen One (5 per cent) and three other new beers were launched under the Boundary Road Brewery "craft beer range" moniker. A website, boundaryroad.co.nz (which links through to Facebook) informs visitors that, "Nestled in the foothills of the Hunua Ranges the Boundary Road Brewery is an independently minded group of beer brewing enthusiasts". Having been underwhelmed by The Chosen One, could it be the other beers were more serious attempts at craft brewing? There was only one way to find out

Bouncing Czech (5.2 per cent) is a more assertive golden lager, with a sweet, citrusy aroma and palate from Kiwi Cascade and Pacifica hops. Although it is labelled a Pilsener, confusingly using the German spelling, rather than the Czech, for me it's too thin and the bitterness too restrained to warrant such a lofty title. The beer's pleasant enough and the hop character reminds me of a toned-down Mac's Hop Rocker. Things are looking up.

Pouring a deep amber hue, Flying Fortress is described as a New Zealand Pale Ale. Sadly, it's a timid interpretation of this popular modern style, and it's very sweet. Pale ale, crystal and chocolate malts contribute some attractive caramel and chocolate notes but the mouthfeel is surprisingly thin. As the beer warms you can smell and taste hops, Motueka and Pacific Jade are used, but the bitterness is too subdued and the beer quickly becomes cloying.

The fourth offering is Grizzly Beer Ginger Beer (4.5 per cent ABV). Served chilled it's a tasty brew with plenty of soft, sweet, biscuity malt and a generous spicy ginger bite in the finish. The least "serious" of the beers perhaps, but quite possibly the one I would return to as a fun quaffer.

As far as I'm concerned, with the possible exception of Bouncing Czech, the new beers don't warrant the "craft beer" moniker, but then again at $13.99 a six-pack that's hardly surprising.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:05 am 

Let us know what you think of them. Too, $12 a six pack.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:16 am 

usermame wrote:

I've had some of their average Golden Lager & Flying Fortress. Not a fan. Will try Bouncing Czech one day.

They're pretend craft, hence the low price. I don't have a problem with paying less for a beer I like, that's the ultimate, but it's just not that great a beer. I buy some staples like Panhead XPA and mix up a huge amount with the rest trying lots of different 8 Wired, Behemoth, Liberty, Garage Project, Emersons etc. There's never been a better time to be a beer fan in NZ. Some of our breweries are producing a wide range of interesting and great tasting beers. I have Aussie mates that revel in the quality and diversity of what we have on offer. These are great days we're living, bros.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:35 am 

Unseen, I know it's out of town, but if the temperature is anywhere near where it's meant to be on Saturday, I'd be down here given half a chance

https://mobile.twitter.com/lostandgroun ... 6050555905

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:42 am 

happyhooker wrote:
Unseen, I know it's out of town, but if the temperature is anywhere near where it's meant to be on Saturday, I'd be down here given half a chance

https://mobile.twitter.com/lostandgroun ... 6050555905

Mmm now that wouldn't be a half bad idea and I don't have anything planned for August! Have been wanting to try Donzoko for a little while now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:32 pm 

mr bungle wrote:
usermame wrote:

I've had some of their average Golden Lager & Flying Fortress.

I won't buy Golden Lager again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:34 pm 

mr bungle wrote:
They're pretend craft,

That seems a ludicrous label to apply to a beer you haven't even tasted. Nor have you defined 'craft', apart from saying it has a certain (undefined) style of packaging.

Out of curiosity, is Moa Dry Hopped Pilsner 'craft'? Or Mac's Miss Conduct?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:29 pm 

usermame wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
They're pretend craft,

That seems a ludicrous label to apply to a beer you haven't even tasted. Nor have you defined 'craft', apart from saying it has a certain (undefined) style of packaging.

Out of curiosity, is Moa Dry Hopped Pilsner 'craft'? Or Mac's Miss Conduct?

I'll take this even though its not directed at me. I'm a beer snob, I know what I like and will happily pay $10 to $20 a pint for limited edition craft beer in a store and that plus more per drink in a pub. After all your paying for taste and enjoyment not some same old run of the mill beer.

Craft beer is defined as "a beer made in a traditional or non-mechanized way by a small brewery." so when beer aficionados say a brewery is pretend craft its a big brewery starting a brand or buying a brand that gives the impression of being small / craft like.

BRB, Mac's, Tuatara, Founders, Harringtons, Emersons, black dog, monteiths, panhead are all pretend craft in my opinion, Big brands trying to be craft. Majority of these beers are middle of the road equivilents to speights, lion red and tui just trying to be fancier.

Ive said before your obviously price driven and thats fine, if $2 beers spins your wheels then go for it, just know there are plenty of amazing beers around NZ from brewers making some amazing stuff. Go try anything from:

Behemoth
Garage Project
Liberty Brewing
Epic Brewing
Parrotdog
McLeods
Deep Creek
8 Wired
Three Boys
Sawmill
Renaissance
Bach Brewing
Funk estate

NEIPA (hazy IPA's) are the current golden child of NZ brewing followed by IPA's and WCIPA's. Porters and stouts are great in winter too

Bouncing Czech is a little hoppy for a Pilsner, if you like that taste try an Epic Armageddon or Behemoth Lid Ripper or any of the above brands IPA's

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:44 pm 

JPNZ wrote:
Bouncing Czech is a little hoppy for a Pilsner, if you like that taste try an Epic Armageddon or Behemoth Lid Ripper or any of the above brands IPA's
Thank you, I'll check some out, to get a reference point in particular. Too, I'd say we're all price driven otherwise you'd be drinking nothing but $40 a pint monk brewed Belgian beer.

Last edited by usermame on Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:47 pm 

But nothing's helping me get over the cricket at the moment...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:48 pm 

I’m not sure what changes have been made to Panhead by Lion, but they were full craft prior to the buyout. I don’t think much has changed other than greater distribution and addition of a can line. The taste certainly hasn’t changed. I imagine a gleaming brew pub is on the cards, if not already.

I guess the original owner was aiming for a buyout, that was always the endgame. Whereas someone like Richard Emerson was very much an organically built craft brewer, so to speak.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:54 pm 

usermame wrote:
JPNZ wrote:
Thank you, I'll check some out, to get a reference point if nothing else. Too, I'd say we're all price driven otherwise you'd be drinking nothing but $40 a pint monk brewed Belgian beer.

I still have a bottle of Westvleteren 12 my brother brought home from the monastery. And it’s available for ‘black market’ purchase from beer sellers in NZ for $66 per 330ml.

https://m.beercellar.co.nz/products/BE9ZB1U410M/westvleteren-12

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:56 pm 

mr bungle wrote:
usermame wrote:
JPNZ wrote:
Thank you, I'll check some out, to get a reference point if nothing else. Too, I'd say we're all price driven otherwise you'd be drinking nothing but $40 a pint monk brewed Belgian beer.

I still have a bottle of Westvleteren 12 my brother brought home from the monastery. And it’s available for ‘black market’ purchase from beer sellers in NZ for $66 per 330ml.

For my money, I'd rather have a St Bernardus 12.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:58 pm 

JPNZ wrote:
After all your paying for taste and enjoyment not some same old run of the mill beer.

Ah, there we go. I'm actually looking for a 'run of the mill beer' I enjoy and can find easily, not the best beer in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:03 pm 

usermame wrote:
JPNZ wrote:
After all your paying for taste and enjoyment not some same old run of the mill beer.

Ah, there we go. I'm actually looking for a 'run of the mill beer' I enjoy and can find easily, not the best beer in the world.

I'm guessing you live in NZ, so most supermarkets will sell craft, New World's specifically.

Did you ever try the Pilsners I suggested a few pages back?

Liberty Halo ($20 per 6 pack) or individual at some stores
Panhead port rd Pils ($21 per 6 pack)
Epic Awakening single 500ml for $8 +/-

I know you may have mentioned not wanting 6 incase you didn't like it, just throwing out suggestions...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:06 pm 

usermame wrote:
JPNZ wrote:

You’re a run of the mill beer fan, delving into the ‘craft’ scene and you’ve got as far as BRB. You could well find you get further away from that stuff and seek out beers that push the envelope taste wise. Beer that you don’t seem to like now in favour of BRB may flip on its head.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:09 pm 

unseenwork wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
usermame wrote:
JPNZ wrote:

Belgium is luckily a hop, skip and a jump for you sods.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:20 pm 

mr bungle wrote:
usermame wrote:
JPNZ wrote:

You’re a run of the mill beer fan, delving into the ‘craft’ scene and you’ve got as far as BRB. You could well find you get further away from that stuff and seek out beers that push the envelope taste wise. Beer that you don’t seem to like now in favour of BRB may flip on its head.

BRB was the first I tried. I see you haven't read my other posts. Don't blame you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:23 pm 

unseenwork wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
usermame wrote:
JPNZ wrote:

That's what I decided last week 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:24 pm 

JPNZ wrote:
usermame wrote:
JPNZ wrote:

I'm guessing you live in NZ, so most supermarkets will sell craft, New World's specifically.

Did you ever try the Pilsners I suggested a few pages back?

Liberty Halo ($20 per 6 pack) or individual at some stores
Panhead port rd Pils ($21 per 6 pack)
Epic Awakening single 500ml for $8 +/-

I know you may have mentioned not wanting 6 incase you didn't like it, just throwing out suggestions...

At the moment I'm in a trust area so things are more limited. I will try suggestions as they become possible. I've already tried the recommended pretend craft Emerson's and Tuatara. As to not wanting 6 which I may not like, I've managed to get rid of half a dozen Haagen (sp) - before I knew better - and Moa Dry Hopped too.

Last edited by usermame on Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:26 pm 

mr bungle wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:
usermame wrote:
I'm a bit of a fan of Emerson's passionfruit notes without being too sweet, though.

I checked out Moa dry hopped pilsner. Slightly too off/acrid an after taste for me.

Moa started out with a hiss and a roar, but tried to expand too fash I think, and their quality went down as a result. They still do the occasional brew that pretty good, but most of the range is pretty average these days.

Their packaging makes me feel like I should be drinking wine. I finally had a good one of theirs a year or so back. Not really a fan.

I like the session IPA. The rest is pish.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:14 pm 

dinsdale wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
usermame wrote:
JPNZ wrote:

Whereabouts do you live again? 😇

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:30 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
dinsdale wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
usermame wrote:

Whereabouts do you live again? 😇

Surbiton - well within carrying distance (seriously)

Annoyingly, I popped in to Westvleteren on the way back but while their cafe was open at 10:00, the shop didn't open until 11:00 and I had a ferry to catch.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:43 pm 

Ah, you're fine, I was just being cheeky. That's a decent haul.

We should organise a craft beer wankers london pr cabal at some point though. I suspect saintk will travel, especially if I get him some more freebies.

We can get samshark along to repeat 'I prefer fosters' on a regular basis to keep us grounded.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65  Next