Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:08 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
Ah, you're fine, I was just being cheeky. That's a decent haul.

We should organise a craft beer wankers london pr cabal at some point though. I suspect saintk will travel, especially if I get him some more freebies.

We can get samshark along to repeat 'I prefer fosters' on a regular basis to keep us grounded.

I'm in! With or without freebies :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:17 pm 

SaintK wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

We should organise a craft beer wankers london pr cabal at some point though. I suspect saintk will travel, especially if I get him some more freebies.

We can get samshark along to repeat 'I prefer fosters' on a regular basis to keep us grounded.

I'll see if there's anything suitable coming up. Or we could just do the Tottenham breweries again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:59 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
SaintK wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

I'll see if there's anything suitable coming up. Or we could just do the Tottenham breweries again.

Either sounds good to me

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:15 pm 

[quote="JPNZ"][quote="usermame"][quote="mr bungle"]They're pretend craft,[/quote]
That seems a ludicrous label to apply to a beer you haven't even tasted. Nor have you defined 'craft', apart from saying it has a certain (undefined) style of packaging.

Out of curiosity, is Moa Dry Hopped Pilsner 'craft'? Or Mac's Miss Conduct?[/quote]

I'll take this even though its not directed at me. I'm a beer snob, I know what I like and will happily pay $10 to $20 a pint for limited edition craft beer in a store and that plus more per drink in a pub. After all your paying for taste and enjoyment not some same old run of the mill beer.

Craft beer is defined as "a beer made in a traditional or non-mechanized way by a small brewery." so when beer aficionados say a brewery is pretend craft its a big brewery starting a brand or buying a brand that gives the impression of being small / craft like.

BRB, Mac's, Tuatara, Founders, Harringtons, Emersons, black dog, monteiths, panhead are all pretend craft in my opinion, Big brands trying to be craft. Majority of these beers are middle of the road equivilents to speights, lion red and tui just trying to be fancier.

Ive said before your obviously price driven and thats fine, if $2 beers spins your wheels then go for it, just know there are plenty of amazing beers around NZ from brewers making some amazing stuff. Go try anything from:

Behemoth
Garage Project
Liberty Brewing
Epic Brewing
Parrotdog
McLeods
Deep Creek
8 Wired
Three Boys
Sawmill
Renaissance
Bach Brewing
Funk estate

NEIPA (hazy IPA's) are the current golden child of NZ brewing followed by IPA's and WCIPA's. Porters and stouts are great in winter too

Bouncing Czech is a little hoppy for a Pilsner, if you like that taste try an Epic Armageddon or Behemoth Lid Ripper or any of the above brands IPA's[/quote]

While that definition of craft beer is probably true in most cases, It's not always the case. The best definition I've heard is "beer made without the influence of accountants or marketing people".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:16 pm 

Ah sorry. Not sure why the quotes got stuffed up. On my phone too difficult to try and fix.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:24 pm 

Just drunk two bottles of Full Sail IPA:

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:54 pm 

Used to love Full Sail but find it a bit hit and miss these days. If you get Of Foam & Fury fresh it can be fantastic. That said for my money the best beers Galway Bay do are Two Hundred Fathoms (BA Imperial Stout) and Diving Bell (BA Wee Heavy).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:03 pm 

Fat Old Git wrote:

While that definition of craft beer is probably true in most cases, It's not always the case. The best definition I've heard is "beer made without the influence of accountants or marketing people".

Yeah, that's a fair definition as well. :thumbup: Although Behemoth and GP do some serious online marketing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:34 am 

Ok, Parrot Dog Pandemonium Pilsner. Yeah, nice, don't think it to be twice as good as Bouncing Czech. Doesn't have the passionfruit notes of say Emerson's or Mac's or Tuatara. Better to my taste than them, more balanced, cleaner finish. Looks like Bouncing Czech is the run of the mill beer I enjoy which is easy to find.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:16 am 

JPNZ wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

Yeah, that's a fair definition as well. :thumbup: Although Behemoth and GP do some serious online marketing

No problem with that if it comes after they've made an interesting beer rather than being part if the design process. I remember doing a small brewery tour where the head brewer described his design process as "I just think about what I'd like to have in my pint." Pricing and marketing came later after he'd achieved that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:03 am 

BRB IPA compares badly to Pandemonium Pilsner. Another one off the list.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:03 pm 

Well bloody hell, a new favourite kellerbier. Brauerei zehendner, monchsambacher lagerbier....

Just what I needed after slicing up an old steel fire escape in the sun all day.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:07 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
Well bloody hell, a new favourite kellerbier. Brauerei zehendner, monchsambacher lagerbier....

Just what I needed after slicing up an old steel fire escape in the sun all day.

Although augustiner helles is working superbly today.

I'm really getting back into (decent) lagers and sours this summer. Any exotic/niche ones that I should try?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:31 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

I'm really getting back into (decent) lagers and sours this summer. Any exotic/niche ones that I should try?

Augustiner Helles? That's straight to the tippy top of the lager world. I get a crate every few months.

Maybe give their Edelstoff a whirl.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:32 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

Harp

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:45 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

Had this in my local beer shop this week. 4.8abv out of the keg, pretty tasty, though I don't drink lager regularly so wouldn't be able to compare.
I recall going to the Lake Tegernsee region of Bavaria with my dad when I was 16. To this day I can remember how good all the local beers from the village breweries tasted. The old man introduced me to the delights of ice cold schnapps as well!! Happy days for a few weeks and then back to drinking the pisswater brewed in the UK at that time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:54 pm 

Diego wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

Harp

And a packet of dates.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:57 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

Castaway from YellowBelly. Passion fruit Berliner Weiss.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:44 pm 

dinsdale wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

Augustiner Helles? That's straight to the tippy top of the lager world. I get a crate every few months.

Maybe give their Edelstoff a whirl.

It's a permanent line at my local. 😎

I'll try and hunt one down, thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:02 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

Fitting a kitchen and it’s 32C...

Bloody lovely

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:05 pm 

also have some of this for later

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:22 pm 

My professional advice is to sack it in for the day

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:40 pm 

Just been given a bottle of pjassel 2018.

I'm a very happy boy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:00 am 

Garage Project have been doing some stunning beers lately and this Fresh IPA is one of their best IMO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:18 am 

JPNZ wrote:
usermame wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
They're pretend craft,

That seems a ludicrous label to apply to a beer you haven't even tasted. Nor have you defined 'craft', apart from saying it has a certain (undefined) style of packaging.

Out of curiosity, is Moa Dry Hopped Pilsner 'craft'? Or Mac's Miss Conduct?

I'll take this even though its not directed at me. I'm a beer snob, I know what I like and will happily pay $10 to $20 a pint for limited edition craft beer in a store and that plus more per drink in a pub. After all your paying for taste and enjoyment not some same old run of the mill beer.

Craft beer is defined as "a beer made in a traditional or non-mechanized way by a small brewery." so when beer aficionados say a brewery is pretend craft its a big brewery starting a brand or buying a brand that gives the impression of being small / craft like.

BRB, Mac's, Tuatara, Founders, Harringtons, Emersons, black dog, monteiths, panhead are all pretend craft in my opinion, Big brands trying to be craft. Majority of these beers are middle of the road equivilents to speights, lion red and tui just trying to be fancier.

Ive said before your obviously price driven and thats fine, if $2 beers spins your wheels then go for it, just know there are plenty of amazing beers around NZ from brewers making some amazing stuff. Go try anything from:

Behemoth
Garage Project
Liberty Brewing
Epic Brewing
Parrotdog
McLeods
Deep Creek
8 Wired
Three Boys
Sawmill
Renaissance
Bach Brewing
Funk estate

NEIPA (hazy IPA's) are the current golden child of NZ brewing followed by IPA's and WCIPA's. Porters and stouts are great in winter too

Bouncing Czech is a little hoppy for a Pilsner, if you like that taste try an Epic Armageddon or Behemoth Lid Ripper or any of the above brands IPA's

Woa there! Hold your tongue, you can't lump them (bolded) in with the dross. In fact, Harringtons arn't too bad either. Not top notch but definitely a step up from the faux craft labels you've pitched them in with. :frown:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:21 am 

Yeah, I can't speak for Emersons as I wasn't as into craft beer when it was bought out, but I've not noticed any drop off with Panhead & Tuatara's quality since they were acquired. Their perennial brews are still quality & they still produce some interesting limited runs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:11 am 

I can appreciate why establishments like Hashigo Zake, who champion independent breweries, dropped Emerson's and Panhead as soon as Lion purchased them, but as a consumer I couldn't care less. I enjoyed the greater accessibility to purchase and their addition to what used to be pubs of average beer selection. I do agree that Emerson's quality has fluctuated, but could be my tastes changing to a degree. I drink a lot of Panhead. They're my go to.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:21 am 

JPNZ wrote:
Garage Project have been doing some stunning beers lately and this Fresh IPA is one of their best IMO

There ordinary everyday one is pretty damn good as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:14 am 

Green Beacon Windjammer IPA is surprisingly good for an airport beer...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:45 pm 

Was over in Belfast for the weekend and did a food tour. The tour guide worked for boundarybrewing.coop and he gave a bit of an overview of the craft scene in NI. He said it is really being held back by the restrictive licensing for pubs there. It is really expensive to have a license so then Diageo will subsidise the license, pay for Sky etc. but the pub must sell their beers. The brewery couldn't afford the license for a tap-room but the license permits a pub to serve drinks "off site" for a certain number of days a year. Another pub loans them their off site days so they can run a tap room once a month or so.

They were thinking of calling one of their beers Marching Saison but decided it could be a bit too edgy... (NI joke)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:50 pm 

mikerob wrote:
Was over in Belfast for the weekend and did a food tour. The tour guide worked for boundarybrewing.coop and he gave a bit of an overview of the craft scene in NI. He said it is really being held back by the restrictive licensing for pubs there. It is really expensive to have a license so then Diageo will subsidise the license, pay for Sky etc. but the pub must sell their beers. The brewery couldn't afford the license for a tap-room but the license permits a pub to serve drinks "off site" for a certain number of days a year. Another pub loans them their off site days so they can run a tap room once a month or so.

They were thinking of calling one of their beers Marching Saison but decided it could be a bit too edgy... (NI joke)

Sounds like that son of a bitch Stitt is stealing my jokes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:50 pm 

In other news, kernel will be opening a tap room again in an arch next to the brewery.

I'll let you know when it's open, we start work on Wednesday

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:11 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
In other news, kernel will be opening a tap room again in an arch next to the brewery.

Very nice. One of these days I will venture outside of Bristol again and make my way down to Bermondsey. Though possibly the brewery I'm most curious about in London at the moment is Bohem who do all the Czech style lagers, as well as Boxcar to a certain extent.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:25 pm 

unseenwork wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

Very nice. One of these days I will venture outside of Bristol again and make my way down to Bermondsey. Though possibly the brewery I'm most curious about in London at the moment is Bohem who do all the Czech style lagers, as well as Boxcar to a certain extent.

Bohem are nice blokes, their taproom is just up the road from me, well worth a trip.

Boxcar are about the same distance the other way but I've only been there once. I'm not over keen on some of their stuff although their brown collab with verdant was very nice, despite it not being my favourite style.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:26 pm 

unseenwork wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

I have to say of the Bohem beers I have tried so far, none have made me want to have a second one sadly.

I will persevere and hope they have ones I like.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:28 pm 

dinsdale wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

I have to say of the Bohem beers I have tried so far, none have made me want to have a second one sadly.

Do, they are good. The first I had from them was a smoked lager that rather put me off, but a mate dragged me up there and I'm glad he did

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:36 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
dinsdale wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

Do, they are good. The first I had from them was a smoked lager that rather put me off, but a mate dragged me up there and I'm glad he did

I'm glad to hear, Czech lager's always been a favourite of mine and no one else has really been giving it a go. I'm also glad to see people doing something different to a suite of pales of varying strengths, getting quite fatigued of breweries along those lines. It's sort of epitomised by Left Handed Giant who just opened their new brewpub here, and while all their beer is perfectly fine to rather good, boy can do I struggle to get excited about any of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:43 pm 

unseenwork wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
dinsdale wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

I'm glad to hear, Czech lager's always been a favourite of mine and no one else has really been giving it a go. I'm also glad to see people doing something different to a suite of pales of varying strengths, getting quite fatigued of breweries along those lines. It's sort of epitomised by Left Handed Giant who just opened their new brewpub here, and while all their beer is perfectly fine to rather good, boy can do I struggle to get excited about any of it.

Cf verdant, deya..... the list is long.

Quite taken with pressure drop's rock rivers trees atmo and mikkeller's dry hopped Nelson sachin barrell aged in chardonnay barrels is very good too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:01 pm 

happyhooker wrote:

Quite taken with pressure drop's rock rivers trees atmo and mikkeller's dry hopped Nelson sachin barrell aged in chardonnay barrels is very good too.

That's good to hear, just ordered some from them.
I see one of Verdant's collabs with P Drop, an Apricot DIPA had to be recalled as the puree they used started coagulating in the can!!!

Looking to try and get to Tottenham again 24th August. That's the bank holiday weekend but looks like we've got passes! Hope to get to The Experiment that day as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:03 pm 

SaintK wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

That's good to hear, just ordered some from them.
I see one of Verdant's collabs with P Drop, an Apricot DIPA had to be recalled as the puree they used started coagulating in the can!!!

Looking to try and get to Tottenham again 24th August. That's the bank holiday weekend but looks like we've got passes! Hope to get to The Experiment that day as well.

Yea, it was delicious on draught!!

I'll see if I'm around, although with dad it's hard to tell at the moment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65  Next