Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 987 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:59 pm 

Just do a ‘Clark Griswold’ and tie their leads temporarily to your car bumper..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:02 pm 

ZappaMan wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Pampered dogs can be very jealous of new arrivals taking attention off them.

So I've read - this is a real ballache.

Another idea I've had is to send the dogs back to the UK to live with her mother but how the fark do I broach that with a pregnant, hormonal woman?

What breed are they? Narky fuckers like Jack Russells can be worse than more placid breeds.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:03 pm 

Poodle and a pomeranian.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:26 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Pampered dogs can be very jealous of new arrivals taking attention off them.

So I've read - this is a real ballache.

Another idea I've had is to send the dogs back to the UK to live with her mother but how the fark do I broach that with a pregnant, hormonal woman?

What breed are they? Narky fuckers like Jack Russells can be worse than more placid breeds.

My parents have two dogs, one and older jack russell x fox terrier and the younger a miniature foxy. The younger one was very jealous of my daughter when she was born. Not nasty, just constantly begging for attention when we were around with the baby. Drives me nuts. The older dog is very good around children.

My brother and his girlfriend are expecting in February. They have an american staffy x american bulldog. Lovely dog but very boisterous. Will be interesting to see how they get on.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:36 am 

Parenting level: Jedi Master.

5 year old, standing stark bollock naked on a cold day, building an 8-14+ lego star wars kit by himself, whilst humming the imperial death march.

So proud :D

Oh, and good news, he's not gluten intolerant, so we're not looking to trade him in!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:15 pm 

Raggs wrote:

5 year old, standing stark bollock naked on a cold day, building an 8-14+ lego star wars kit by himself, whilst humming the imperial death march.

Oh, and good news, he's not gluten intolerant, so we're not looking to trade him in!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

My 3 year old grandson is really into Star Wars

My Daughter's parrot, Murphy, whistles the Imperial Death March. It also tries telling Alexa to do things - Alexa doesn't recognise his speech though - just as well as he'd be turning the lights on and off all day.

Murphy has a huge range of words - but my favourite is 'Woman of the house, where's my tea' :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:22 pm 

ovalball wrote:
Raggs wrote:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

My 3 year old grandson is really into Star Wars

My Daughter's parrot, Murphy, whistles the Imperial Death March. It also tries telling Alexa to do things - Alexa doesn't recognise his speech though - just as well as he'd be turning the lights on and off all day.

Murphy has a huge range of words - but my favourite is 'Woman of the house, where's my tea' :lol:

Introduced mine around the age of 2/3 I guess. The lego star wars series are lots of fun. We've also been playing lego star wars on the xbox for the last 6 months or so. Plan on introducing him to the films in the coming months (turns 6 in feb), and the animated series where they come into the timelines (rebels probably after the first 6 films).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:40 am 

Did anybody else develop a new found appreciation for Fred Rogers and Jim Henson? Between Daniel Tiger, Peg + Cat, and Word Party! I would struggle to keep her occupied enough to make coffee.

We also have gotten into the Netflix ones, the British show the Kawrupps (sp?), the Storybots and now Masha and the Bear. I am convince that one is Russian propaganda though. They are Russia and you see a train that says Moscow then Alaska. But as US relations soured and China relations improved, it became Moscow then Beijing and they added a Panda character.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:43 am 

Favourite kids programme at the moment. Masha and the Bear - it's superb, really funny and kids of all ages seem to love it. Highly recommended.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:48 am 

The Russian Masha and the Bear are awesome. Even when they couldn't understand a word, the kids would happily watch them on YouTube.

We successfully hatched twin Hatchemals in our household today. They have entered a world of Shopkins, My Little Ponies and Mashums.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:02 am 

For the discerning parent with impeccable taste in music, the only choice is Big Block Sing Song. My favourites are:

James Brown inspired Big Feet

Snoop Dog inspired I'm a Dog

David Bowie inspired Space Friends

There's fucking hundreds of them! Most of them quality.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:14 am 

Storybots are good.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:13 am 

Deadtigers wrote:
Did anybody else develop a new found appreciation for Fred Rogers and Jim Henson? Between Daniel Tiger, Peg + Cat, and Word Party! I would struggle to keep her occupied enough to make coffee.

We also have gotten into the Netflix ones, the British show the Kawrupps (sp?), the Storybots and now Masha and the Bear. I am convince that one is Russian propaganda though. They are Russia and you see a train that says Moscow then Alaska. But as US relations soured and China relations improved, it became Moscow then Beijing and they added a Panda character.

If I left Daniel Tiger and Curious George on all day, I’d barely hear a peep.

We landed in Dublin 4 days ago, and they’re still nightmarishly jet lagged. They were up til 2am in our bed and still went kicking and screaming when I jammed their bedroom door shut. I’m right now lying in bed trying to sum up the courage to go in and wake them up for an 8-ish am start.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:42 pm 

DOB wrote:
We landed in Dublin 4 days ago, and they’re still nightmarishly jet lagged. They were up til 2am in our bed and still went kicking and screaming when I jammed their bedroom door shut. I’m right now lying in bed trying to sum up the courage to go in and wake them up for an 8-ish am start.

The BiL is back with his wife and 14mo son from North Carolina. They flew in on Thursday bit seem to have got away likely with minimal jetlag.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:54 pm 

Wrong thread.

Daniel Tiger ftw.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:01 pm 

6 year old daughter likes Odd Squad...well written and I chuckle along me ownself
9 year old daughter likes Fuller House....they found a way to make the original Full House even hoakier

Both of them tolerate watching the Rugby with me on the couch and I've taught them proper passing but they don't seem interested past that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:10 am 

ovalball wrote:
backrow wrote:
slick wrote:
Having an amusing and irritating argument with his utterly shit grandparents at the moment (wifes side, wankers).

They asked what he wants for Christmas as we said he would like a little play kitchen. It's what he always plays with at nursery and likes nothing better than spending hours opening and shutting things, he is also facinated by watching us cooking and we spend a lot of time in the kitchen.

Got a call last night that they didn't feel comfortable getting him a kitchen and could they get a work bench or something like that instead. He's a little boy you see, so shouldn't have a kitchen.

Idiots.

:lol:

ffs as long as its not a bright pink my little pony kitchen with make up mirror, who cares ?

I found one for them to get, in blue !
(big pic so no posty only linky)

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTQwNVgxMTU0/ ... X/$_32.JPG

When Santa asked my 3yr old Grand Son what he wanted for Xmas - he replied "Guns, lots of guns". But he also loves kitchen stuff and plays a lot with toy tea sets - he'd be delighted with a play kitchen.

Funnily enough - he did actually get a big 'play kitchen' (as well as some guns) - he has hardly stopped playing with it since Xmas morning - absolutely loves it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:01 am 

Her Grandma likes the Beatles so got her a beatbugs guitar, so now she is into beatbugs. What people's thoughts on that show?

Also does anybody's else's kid love music? My little girl will dance to anything? My wife said none of her nieces or nephews?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:21 am 

Deadtigers wrote:
Her Grandma likes the Beatles so got her a beatbugs guitar, so now she is into beatbugs. What people's thoughts on that show?

Also does anybody's else's kid love music? My little girl will dance to anything? My wife said none of her nieces or nephews?

I thought all kids loved music and dancing - all mine and my grandkids did/do. Can't get them off the karaoke machine whenever they gey the chance.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:31 am 

Just got the awful news that a young lad at my son and daughter's childcare passed away in a 4wd reversing accident. Just f**king terrible - cannot think of anything more devastating as a parent. :((

Have to have chat to my boy about it when I get home, as it was one of his friends. Not quite sure how to go about it, as he's only 3.5, and not really likely to comprehend.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:51 am 

Bindi wrote:
Just got the awful news that a young lad at my son and daughter's childcare passed away in a 4wd reversing accident. Just f**king terrible - cannot think of anything more devastating as a parent. :((

Have to have chat to my boy about it when I get home, as it was one of his friends. Not quite sure how to go about it, as he's only 3.5, and not really likely to comprehend.

Ah fudge. That's tough as hell. I'd suggest looking for professional help with regards to how to approach something like that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:13 am 

Raggs wrote:
Bindi wrote:

Ah fudge. That's tough as hell. I'd suggest looking for professional help with regards to how to approach something like that.

It was childcare who emailed us, and sent a bunch of literature to read through about how to talk to youngsters about it (i.e. http://raisingchildren.net.au/coping_with_trauma/preschoolers_trauma.html). Having a read through now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:18 am 

Bindi wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Bindi wrote:

It was childcare who emailed us, and sent a bunch of literature to read through about how to talk to youngsters about it (i.e. http://raisingchildren.net.au/coping_with_trauma/preschoolers_trauma.html). Having a read through now.

Don't envy you in the slightest.

Not suggesting it's anywhere near the same level, but in the coming year we're going to need to tell our then 6 year old, that we're moving to England. Going to get professional advice on how to best do that.

Shit... 6. 6 is like a proper kid, and not a little kid/toddler type person.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:37 am 

Raggs wrote:
Bindi wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Bindi wrote:

Not suggesting it's anywhere near the same level, but in the coming year we're going to need to tell our then 6 year old, that we're moving to England. Going to get professional advice on how to best do that.

FFS just tell him, treating children like deities is fuelling this entitled generation of snowflakes!! Professional help to tell a child he will be continuing to live with his parents whatever next.??

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:42 am 

Openside wrote:
FFS just tell him, treating children like deities is fuelling this entitled generation of snowflakes!! Professional help to tell a child he will be continuing to live with his parents whatever next.??

I'm not treating him like a deity, I'm taking the stance that telling him this news 8 months out is pointless. He either takes it well, and then still has to go through the stress of a move so gains nothing from knowing, or he takes it poorly, and spends 8 months being stressed out by it.

As for seeking professional help, why the fudge wouldn't you, if it was easily available to you? Is it that hard for you to admit that perhaps someone else knows more about you on any subject?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:47 am 

Raggs wrote:
Openside wrote:

I'm not treating him like a deity, I'm taking the stance that telling him this news 8 months out is pointless. He either takes it well, and then still has to go through the stress of a move so gains nothing from knowing, or he takes it poorly, and spends 8 months being stressed out by it.

As for seeking professional help, why the fudge wouldn't you, if it was easily available to you? Is it that hard for you to admit that perhaps someone else knows more about you on any subject?

Exactly, tell him just before you go and make it sound an adventure, kids just want to be with their parents full stop. If he continues to be loved, fed and sheltered he will be fine children are totally self interested parasites as long as their needs are met. I am sure whole industries have sprung up dealing with the mental health of children traumatised by moving home! which came first the chicken or the egg?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:50 am 

Raggs wrote:
Bindi wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Bindi wrote:

Jesus wept

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:52 am 

Silvio Berlusconi wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Bindi wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Bindi wrote:

Jesus wept

He employs a counsellor to watch John Cravens newsround with the kids :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:55 am 

I'm really not understanding why you guys have such an issue with us getting advice from an educated source, when it comes to a significant event in my childs life... is it really that stupid?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:05 am 

Raggs wrote:
I'm really not understanding why you guys have such an issue with us getting advice from an educated source, when it comes to a significant event in my childs life... is it really that stupid?

Young kids are incredibly adaptable - unless he has some issues we don't know about, I wouldn't think it would be at all necessary to get prof help. To a kid, moving to England will be not really be different than moving 20 miles - would you get pro help with that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:09 am 

ovalball wrote:
Raggs wrote:

Young kids are incredibly adaptable - unless he has some issues we don't know about, I wouldn't think it would be at all necessary to get prof help. To a kid, moving to England will be not really be different than moving 20 miles - would you get pro help with that.

If it's easily accessible, sure, why not? I'm happy to agree that kids are very adaptable, would you agree that there's both better and worse ways of handling it? I'm not putting him into therapy for it or anything.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:35 am 

Raggs wrote:
ovalball wrote:
Raggs wrote:

If it's easily accessible, sure, why not? I'm happy to agree that kids are very adaptable, would you agree that there's both better and worse ways of handling it? I'm not putting him into therapy for it or anything.

If you are moving to somewhere like Southend, I would get professional help for your decision making

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:44 am 

Just found out one of my close friends and his new wife had a miscarriage at 6 weeks. They found out yesterday after their first scan. Pretty sad to hear it myself, not really sure what to say to them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:51 am 

Bullettyme wrote:
Just found out one of my close friends and his new wife had a miscarriage at 6 weeks. They found out yesterday after their first scan. Pretty sad to hear it myself, not really sure what to say to them.

Tell them how sorry you were to hear their news and tell them they are in your thoughts. Don’t avoid them as you feel awkward!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:00 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:

It's a lot more common than you would think. 6 weeks is pretty early and most people hold off on telling people until 12 weeks when the risk has drastically reduced to avoid this very situation.

There is not much to say really. They'll try again and hopefully have more luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:03 pm 

Openside wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:

Tell them how sorry you were to hear their news and tell them they are in your thoughts. Don’t avoid them as you feel awkward!!

Cheers, already passed that on. They live in Canada so only got the message overnight when I was asleep and presumably they're asleep now.

I don't know how they could be feeling though, it's their first pregnancy so hadn't said it to anybody except a few friends (they cancelled a trip to Central America on the back of the news, Zika, so had figured some friends would know what's up). But surely must be very difficult, even at this early stage.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:36 pm 

OS, we need to operate like Statler and Waldorf on this thread - doling out advice and shutting down snowflake parenting

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:29 am 

5 days into this parenting malarky and it's going ok so far. Haven't had a breakdown apart from when the birth was happening (emergency c-section) but both mum and the little on are doing well. He was a big lad, 8lb 5oz, 53.5cm long and 36.5cm head circumference.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:00 am 

ElementFreak wrote:
5 days into this parenting malarky and it's going ok so far. Haven't had a breakdown apart from when the birth was happening (emergency c-section) but both mum and the little on are doing well. He was a big lad, 8lb 5oz, 53.5cm long and 36.5cm head circumference.

Congratulations.

:thumbup:

But you don't have to breastfeed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:02 am 

True, I don't think I'd look good with a shaved chest.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 987 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 25  Next