Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:12 am 

ElementFreak wrote:
5 days into this parenting malarky and it's going ok so far. Haven't had a breakdown apart from when the birth was happening (emergency c-section) but both mum and the little on are doing well. He was a big lad, 8lb 5oz, 53.5cm long and 36.5cm head circumference.

Congratulations - it's a truly brilliant time in your life. They don't do much at 1st, other than eat, sleep and cry but his character will soon start to show through, and each day he will amaze you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:15 am 

Openside wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
Just found out one of my close friends and his new wife had a miscarriage at 6 weeks. They found out yesterday after their first scan. Pretty sad to hear it myself, not really sure what to say to them.

Tell them how sorry you were to hear their news and tell them they are in your thoughts. Don’t avoid them as you feel awkward!!

Sound advice. We lost our first two then had our baby girl and lost our 4th. The hardest part is no one talks about it. I have learned as you face it and talk about it you find out others have had it or known people. There is a weird shame attached to it and TV and media make it seem like you get pregnant and she has the kid bam! It is much more complicated than that and having someone that understands that is important. Allow them to be able to speak freely about it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:16 am 

ElementFreak wrote:
5 days into this parenting malarky and it's going ok so far. Haven't had a breakdown apart from when the birth was happening (emergency c-section) but both mum and the little on are doing well. He was a big lad, 8lb 5oz, 53.5cm long and 36.5cm head circumference.

It'll only get easier. You've pretty much got it nailed by now! :nod:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:05 am 

Bindi wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:

It'll only get easier. You've pretty much got it nailed by now! :nod:

Cheers, been a steep learning curve and not quite where I would like to be with the household etc. but he's doing great and putting on weight and is getting everything he needs to get.

Would love to have a spare 2 hours to get on top of the housework and washing though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:05 am 

Deadtigers wrote:
Openside wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
Just found out one of my close friends and his new wife had a miscarriage at 6 weeks. They found out yesterday after their first scan. Pretty sad to hear it myself, not really sure what to say to them.

Tell them how sorry you were to hear their news and tell them they are in your thoughts. Don’t avoid them as you feel awkward!!

Sound advice. We lost our first two then had our baby girl and lost our 4th. The hardest part is no one talks about it. I have learned as you face it and talk about it you find out others have had it or known people. There is a weird shame attached to it and TV and media make it seem like you get pregnant and she has the kid bam! It is much more complicated than that and having someone that understands that is important. Allow them to be able to speak freely about it.

Sucks bro. We went through one before my son was born. My wife's good friend at work has also lost 3, but they are expecting again and she recently had a checkup that went well. Props for staying strong.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:43 am 

ElementFreak wrote:

Saw it on your FB feed. Congrats buddy!! So is her gonna Australia's next great lock or ref?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:44 am 

Bowens wrote:
Deadtigers wrote:
Openside wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:

Sucks bro. We went through one before my son was born. My wife's good friend at work has also lost 3, but they are expecting again and she recently had a checkup that went well. Props for staying strong.

Thanks bro!! I appreciate it. Please feel free to share my story with your friend. It is important that people know they are not alone.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:25 pm 

So my lad has managed to fracture his leg in a completely innocuous fall. Less than 4 months after breaking his arm.

Will laugh about it one day, but I'm gutted for the kid. Cannot believe it's happened again (albeit thankfully Social Services are no where to be seen this time). Not a bad break and will heal quickly by all accounts, but he'll be incredibly frustrated at the loss of mobility with a full leg cast.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:31 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:
So my lad has managed to fracture his leg in a completely innocuous fall. Less than 4 months after breaking his arm.

Will laugh about it one day, but I'm gutted for the kid. Cannot believe it's happened again (albeit thankfully Social Services are no where to be seen this time). Not a bad break and will heal quickly by all accounts, but he'll be incredibly frustrated at the loss of mobility with a full leg cast.

How old? That's awful luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:33 pm 

Raggs wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:

Just coming up to 17 months now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:34 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:

Wow! It's tough to break bones at that age too! Christ that's unlucky!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:37 pm 

Yep, going to keep asking whether there could be any underlying weakness in his bones, as I just can't fathom how easily it seems to have happened this time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:42 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:
Yep, going to keep asking whether there could be any underlying weakness in his bones, as I just can't fathom how easily it seems to have happened this time.

I'd say that twice in such a short period is worth checking into.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:49 pm 

Christ, that must be horrible. I can't imagine how much of a ball of anger my little'un would've been at that age in a cast.

Give the kid more milk :nod:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:51 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:

EEK! Our boy is 17 months, he would be going mental if he couldn't fly around, that's such a shame, poor lad.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:23 pm 

So just as I think we are getting better at this parenting thing and getting on top of the housework etc the little man decides he doesn't want to eat every 3-4 hours but instead every 2-3 hours and not as much as he used to. But on the plus side the wife's milk has fully come in now so no more formula top ups for us.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:21 am 

The little guy is a month old, or was a couple of days ago, I can't ever remember a month going quicker. Been working on a few things to get into a good routine and it's been working to an extent, however over the past week or so he's having a lot more awake time as I've gone back to work the wife is getting swamped with it all. She'd been counting on using his asleep time to get stuff done, but he's very clingy this week and it's a bit difficult to.

On the plus side she's almost 100% recovered from her surgery which is great.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:29 am 

ElementFreak wrote:
The little guy is a month old, or was a couple of days ago, I can't ever remember a month going quicker. Been working on a few things to get into a good routine and it's been working to an extent, however over the past week or so he's having a lot more awake time as I've gone back to work the wife is getting swamped with it all. She'd been counting on using his asleep time to get stuff done, but he's very clingy this week and it's a bit difficult to.

Good news on the recovery! Baby is obviously most important, almost anything else can wait, we'll not judge you if you aren't changing the bedsheets quite so often!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:32 am 

It's amazing at how quickly stuff piles up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:35 am 

ElementFreak wrote:
It's amazing at how quickly stuff piles up.

It'll get easi... different after a while. Enjoy every moment. Just think back on good times in your life, and how you wish you'd done more of it etc, and realise that right now you are creating exactly those memories for the future, may as well try and make more of them!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:27 am 

I reckon babies up to 6 months are fairly cruisey if the baby is not colicky or difficult. They just sit there and get fed with the usual moan or two in the evening, at least it has been for us.

2 year olds on the other hand. What a pain in the hole. I couldn't imagine having twins and dealing with two of those bastards at the same time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:57 am 

ElementFreak wrote:

Does your wife have a sling/baby carrier? Not suitable for every task obviously but you can still get a lot done with one. Of course just as I said it, I realised it might not be suitable given the surgery but if she's over it, it might be OK.

6 weeks is one of the first milestones in terms of everything getting a little easier, not giving a guarantee there but it is something we've mostly found.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:58 am 

And either way, I'd recommend a carrier for anyone on their first. Makes you incredibly mobile not having to bring the buggy everywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:25 am 

Don’t let them get too clingy. They’ll get used to mum/dad coming running anytime they throw a tantrum.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:28 am 

ScarfaceClaw wrote:
Don’t let them get too clingy. They’ll get used to mum/dad coming running anytime they throw a tantrum.

Don't disagree at all but it's a fine line between deciding what requires comfort and what is them just wanting a bit of attention. And I don't think the latter starts before around 3 months.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:24 pm 

Really angry at the moment. Elder son's birthday, he's having friends round for a sleep over. Younger son has gone to his grandmother's for the night. Younger son's bedroom is the one that's big enough for them all to sleep in, and (admittedly with some bribing) younger son offered it. And one of the kids decides to dismantle some of the lego models he's got in there and scatter the pieces all over the floor. As far as I can see purely maliciously.

I know not a big deal. Just so... pettily mean spirited. And such basic bad manners - you're a guest somewhere, you don't shit on other's people's stuff.

Anyway, tonight will now consist of building an AT-AT and a Snowspeeder. Which was not the plan.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:28 pm 

Mahoney wrote:
Really angry at the moment. Elder son's birthday, he's having friends round for a sleep over. Younger son has gone to his grandmother's for the night. Younger son's bedroom is the one that's big enough for them all to sleep in, and (admittedly with some bribing) younger son offered it. And one of the kids decides to dismantle some of the lego models he's got in there and scatter the pieces all over the floor. As far as I can see purely maliciously.

I know not a big deal. Just so... pettily mean spirited. And such basic bad manners - you're a guest somewhere, you don't shit on other's people's stuff.

Anyway, tonight will now consist of building an AT-AT and a Snowspeeder. Which was not the plan.

Probably jealous

Hope there are not some pieces missing

Maybe make it a time to spend with the younger kid building it together

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:01 pm 

ScarfaceClaw wrote:

Unless you can live with yourself for bringing another scrumhalf into the game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18