Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 410 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:43 pm 

Anyone going to Boston College v Georgia Tech in Lansdowne Road this Saturday?

Apparently 20,000 Yanks over for the game.

Last edited by iarmhiman on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:56 pm 

There'll be 20,001 Yanks there anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:07 pm 

Blackrock Bullet wrote:

:lol: :thumbup:

Game of the weekend is Clemson v Auburn. Probably not a major rivalry as both are in different conferences but two quality teams.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:32 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:

:lol: :thumbup:

Game of the weekend is Clemson v Auburn. Probably not a major rivalry as both are in different conferences but two quality teams.

They aren't really rivals but they've opened the season against each other a lot lately in some sort of Tiger Bowl. BTW, lots of rivals aren't in the same conference as each other: Florida-Florida State, Georgia-Georgia Tech, Clemson-South Carolina and USC-Notre Dame. Colorado-Colorado State, too, although it's a shitty rivalry, kinda like a derby match between a Premiership team and a Championship team. And a few more with the conference changes: Texas-Texas A&M, Utah-BYU and Kansas-Missouri.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:35 pm 

Alabama v Auburn the biggest rivalry in College football?

Or Texas Longhorns v Oklahoma Sooners?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:39 pm 

Clemson running down the hill. This is the best tradition in NCAA football:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX1uhEjhjt0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:57 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
Alabama v Auburn the biggest rivalry in College football?

Or Texas Longhorns v Oklahoma Sooners?

Probably Michigan-Ohio St.

iarmhiman wrote:

Running down a hill and touching a rock is pretty lame as far as traditions go. Colorado running a live buffalo onto the field to lead out the team shits on that from a great height: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e668mvKLmHU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:53 am 

3rd quarter.

Appalachian State 13, #9 Tennessee 3 :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:50 am 

Good opening weekend. 2 Top 5 teams go down, with Bama still to play. Colorado beats Colorado St by the biggest margin since the 50s. Maybe we go bowling this year for the first time in nearly a decade.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:20 am 

Enjoyed that today. Yellow Jackets stole that with under a minute left.

Both teams with strong defences but Boston need to sort out their kicker.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:26 am 

iarmhiman wrote:

The commentator mentions he calls it the most exciting 25 seconds in College Football. Ah...how about the actual game :uhoh:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:21 am 

Working Class Rugger wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

The commentator mentions he calls it the most exciting 25 seconds in College Football. Ah...how about the actual game :uhoh:

There is probably a commercial break that is even better!! :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:23 am 

iarmhiman wrote:
Enjoyed that today. Yellow Jackets stole that with under a minute left.

Both teams with strong defences but Boston need to sort out their kicker.

Thought BC's QB was shiiiite for about three quarters, then got going a bit in the drive where they took the lead.

The pageantry as usual was something else, loved BC's entrance to the pitch. I was just behind BC's band who were great craic.

The twee pandering at half time though. x( :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:47 pm 

Another enjoyable fixture at the Aviva. Just a pity that the weather probably put off a few from coming along and EP was on as well.

I hope it comes back again in a couple of years (not to Croke Park x(). Michigan would be nice.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:20 am 

^ I don't see Michigan going to Ireland.

So Texas is down 35-31 late in the 4th to Notre Dame.

With 4 minutes to go, they score a touchdown to make it 37-35.

Texas are pretty unorganized for the extra point, but do manage to kick it off before a delay of game penalty.

However, the extra point is blocked, goes right to a Notre Dame player who runs it back for 2 points to tie the game at 37. :lol:

Notre Dame has since gone 3 and out, and Texas has the ball with a minute and a half to go.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:23 am 

Bonkers game - heading to OT now.

Loving it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:44 am 

Swoopes is a large lad...

Texas take it out. Fun watch.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:22 am 

Texas student section looked sloppy drunk every time the camera panned to them in the 4th quarter and overtime. Oh to be 19 again...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:11 am 

goeagles wrote:
Texas student section looked sloppy drunk every time the camera panned to them in the 4th quarter and overtime. Oh to be 19 again...

God I'd love to have been on 6th Street last night. :((

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:15 am 

Blackrock Bullet wrote:
Another enjoyable fixture at the Aviva. Just a pity that the weather probably put off a few from coming along and EP was on as well.

I hope it comes back again in a couple of years (not to Croke Park x(). Michigan would be nice.

What was the attendance?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:16 am 

Flyin Ryan wrote:
^ I don't see Michigan going to Ireland.

So Texas is down 35-31 late in the 4th to Notre Dame.

With 4 minutes to go, they score a touchdown to make it 37-35.

Texas are pretty unorganized for the extra point, but do manage to kick it off before a delay of game penalty.

However, the extra point is blocked, goes right to a Notre Dame player who runs it back for 2 points to tie the game at 37. :lol:

Notre Dame has since gone 3 and out, and Texas has the ball with a minute and a half to go.

It'll never be a Michigan home game obviously, the same as with Notre Dame and Penn State when they came over.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:18 am 

Boxcar Ira wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:

What was the attendance?

I'd say between 40-42k seated. Probably a few more sold but people stayed away.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:20 am 

Massive GT crowd there. They outnumbered the Boston support by quite a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:22 am 

Boxcar Ira wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:

What was the attendance?

Seemed to be approximately 40,000.
Loads of Irish people there dressed in their Pats gear.
We were in the West Lower level with the 10 yard line so at least we had all the cheerleaders and bands down that end to keep us amused. The weather was grim and took away a good bit of the atmosphere.
It's such a different atmosphere to the rugby or football and the funny thing was that there was no half-time mad dash to the bars because you've ample time during the game's breaks to refuel.
Enjoyable game, despite the mawkish nonsensical tribute to the "Irish" soldiers. Seriously, eff off...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:26 am 

Leinsterman wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:

What was the attendance?

Seemed to be approximately 40,000.
Loads of Irish people there dressed in their Pats gear.
We were in the West Lower level with the 10 yard line so at least we had all the cheerleaders and bands down that end to keep us amused. The weather was grim and took away a good bit of the atmosphere.
It's such a different atmosphere to the rugby or football and the funny thing was that there was no half-time mad dash to the bars because you've ample time during the game's breaks to refuel.
Enjoyable game, despite the mawkish nonsensical tribute to the "Irish" soldiers. Seriously, eff off...

Was Ireland's Call there I wonder, he probably would have held a Justice4TomBrady protest outside the Lansdowne Clubhouse though if he was I suppose.

The GT crowd were excellent, they were trying to replicate a home fixture atmosphere for themselves and did a good job.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:32 am 

Blackrock Bullet wrote:
Was Ireland's Call there I wonder, he probably would have held a Justice4TomBrady protest outside the Lansdowne Clubhouse though if he was I suppose.

The GT crowd were excellent, they were trying to replicate a home fixture atmosphere for themselves and did a good job.

I did see a guy wearing full pads, jersey and game pants. x(
It was a handy way to know who to avoid. Just stay away from anyone wearing Pats gear.

Apparently the brother-in-law is married to a relative of a GT Hall of Famer so we all decided to pitch in and cheer for GT. Made the win all the funnier when we saw the reactions of some real die-hard Bostonians in front of us with first the throw to get the GT first down when they were something like 4th and 15 on their own 35 yard line, then when GT got the winning TD and finally when the Eagle quarterback had several brain farts with the last few plays.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:35 am 

Leinsterman wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:

It was a handy way to know who to avoid. Just stay away from anyone wearing Pats gear.

Apparently the brother-in-law is married to a relative of a GT Hall of Famer so we all decided to pitch in and cheer for GT. Made the win all the funnier when we saw the reactions of some real die-hard Bostonians in front of us with first the throw to get the GT first down when they were something like 4th and 15 on their own 35 yard line, then when GT got the winning TD and finally when the Eagle quarterback had several brain farts with the last few plays.

Irish people who support the Patriots are the worst kind of people.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:40 am 

Jets fan myself. Soft spot for both the Packers and Steelers as well. Loath the Pats,Giants and Bills

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:44 am 

Luciano wrote:
Working Class Rugger wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

There is probably a commercial break that is even better!! :roll:

It wasn't a criticism of the game. I actually quite enjoy it but if a bunch of College kids running down a ramp is your highkight then you're watching for the wrong reasons.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:45 am 

iarmhiman wrote:
Jets fan myself. Soft spot for both the Packers and Steelers as well. Loath the Pats,Giants and Bills

Same as both the brothers-in-law and the FIL. They all support the Jets.
Vikings man myself. Tough team to support. :(
Interesting to see how Bradford will fare to replace Teddy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:46 am 

Blackrock Bullet wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:

people who support the Patriots are the worst kind of people.

Fixed. Pats must be the most universally hated team and fanbase in sport. I know the Yankees and Cowboys draw haters like Man U or any other big side but the hatred of the Pats is on another level. And it is all entirely justified :x .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:48 am 

Leinsterman wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

Same as both the brothers-in-law and the FIL. They all support the Jets.
Vikings man myself. Tough team to support. :(
Interesting to see how Bradford will fare to replace Teddy.

f**king Rex Ryan. He only cared about two games last year: The home and away games against the Jets. And when he was our coach he never shut his mouth about bigging the Jets up to win the Super bowl.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:51 am 

What's wrong with the Patriots out of curiosity? I'm not a huge fan of the sport, but they'd be the team I'd raise a small grin for if I heard they won the Superbowl.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:52 am 

Boxcar Ira wrote:
What's wrong with the Patriots out of curiosity? I'm not a huge fan of the sport, but they'd be the team I'd raise a small grin for if I heard they won the Superbowl.

Bill Belichick for a start. Ignorant plum.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:05 am 

Boxcar Ira wrote:

The Liverpool of US sports

Belichick is a genius though

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:13 am 

I have a similar, lack lustre fondness for Liverpool so makes sense.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:40 am 

Super happy to have ESPN at the moment so I have pretty much full coverage of all the college games. Almost makes up for a lack of Match of the Day. I'm leaning towards glory bandwaggoning and supporting Alabama from here on in.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:30 pm 

Short Man Syndrome wrote:
Super happy to have ESPN at the moment so I have pretty much full coverage of all the college games. Almost makes up for a lack of Match of the Day. I'm leaning towards glory bandwaggoning and supporting Alabama from here on in.

Always a quality side and they play in the best conference the SEC.

I like Clemson from the ACC and also like Texas Longhorns from the Big 12.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:43 pm 

Folks explain this one to me.

The college football playoffs:

2016: Orange Bowl v Cotton Bowl.

Now looking at the NCAA Rankings:

Top 10 Rankings:

(1) Alabama
(2) Clemson
(3) Stanford
(4) Ohio State
(5) Oklahoma
(6) Michigan State
(7) TCU
(8) Houston
(9) Iowa
(10) Ole Miss

I get the Conference finals as that bit is straight forward. It's the bowl selections I don't get.

Now I know Michigan State beat Iowa in the Big10 game but Stanford were higher ranked and were PAC-12 champions so why didn't they get selected to play Alabama in the Cotton Bowl instead of Michigan State.

According to Rose Bowl games in non playoff bowl years, shouldn't it be Big10 #1 v Pac-12 #1, so because Stanford who were ranked 3 overall and PAC-12 champions, shouldn't they have been selected for Cotton Bowl, with Michigan State playing USC Trojans for Rose Bowl?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:02 pm 

Those were the rankings at the end of the season, after the playoffs had been played. Going into the playoffs Michigan St was 12-1 and won the Big 10. Stanford had 2 losses. Then Michigan St got curb-stomped by Alabama and Stanford had a dominant win over Iowa in the Rose Bowl so Stanford ended up moving up in the final rankings and MSU moved down.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 410 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next