Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3891 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 98  Next

How would/will you vote in a referendum?
Keep the law as it stands. 20%  20%  [ 32 ]
Repeal the 8th. 80%  80%  [ 125 ]
Total votes : 157
 Post subject: Repealing the 8th
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:45 pm 

It seems like only a matter of time before there will be another referendum on Ireland's most contentious issue and biggest political hot potato.
Although the various sections of society will probably have different opinions based on different circumstances from rape, incest, FFA, health of mother (physical and mental) all the way to complete freedom of choice, I'm guessing that it will be a yes or no question, at least to begin with and depending on the first answer.

Are you decided?

Post subject: Re: Repealing the 8th
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:50 pm 

Piss off you tool.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:51 pm 

Adetroy wrote:
Piss off you tool.

Shush, this is for grown ups only.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:56 pm 

I have had two relations like friends pictures from the march today with one saying 'I'd like this government to be aborted ' and 'if I wanted the government in my womb I'd fûck a TD'. Because everybody is saying they are great girls I am going to vote no.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:58 pm 

EverReady wrote:
I have had two relations like friends pictures from the march today with one saying 'I'd like this government to be aborted ' and 'if I wanted the government in my womb I'd fûck a TD'. Because everybody is saying they are great girls I am going to vote no.

I'm not sure that the government would offer choice in that circumstance either.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:42 pm 

I'm old enough to have campaigned and voted against it first time round, on the grounds that lawyers and medicine is not a good mix. Let lawyers play at parsing laws, and let doctors decide patients treatment.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:45 pm 

I'd be for bringing back the latin mass myself.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:47 pm 

Join the 20th century any time lads.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:55 pm 

Listen Laurent we are not going around impregnating our mistresses night and day like you French lads. The only people who support abortion in Ireland are lesbian feminists and they don't even have a dog in the fight

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:57 pm 

While the 8th amendment is a mess, someone needs to tell me what we're going to replace it with, before I'd agree to repeal it.....

Ireland seems awash with easy answers these days:

Repeal the 8th
Spend more money
Tax the rich
Take the apple windfall
New Cath labs for everyone
Put the wind farms and pylons somewhere else

The more simplistic the slogan the more likely the proponents haven't a fooking clue what they are talking about.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:58 pm 

rfurlong wrote:
While the 8th amendment is a mess, someone needs to tell me what we're going to replace it with, before I'd agree to repeal it.....

Repeal the 8th
Spend more money
Tax the rich
Take the apple windfall

The more simplistic the slogan the more likely the proponents haven't a fooking clue what they are talking about.

Our very own Corbynites.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:09 pm 

No Gavin Henson option? Not in the least bit interested tbh.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:53 pm 

rfurlong wrote:

Repeal the 8th
Spend more money
Tax the rich
Take the apple windfall

What the fudge :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:33 am 

rfurlong wrote:

From what I understand repealing the 8th just allows lawmakers to make the laws without holding a referendum each time.
Particularly when a woman's life is at risk, holding a referendum is not ideal time wise.

I think that it's fair to say that most reasonably minded, non brainwashed people would accept that there are circumstances where it is morally wrong for a woman to be denied a termination.

The worry would be that these reasonable people would still vote no on the grounds that it would "open the flood gates" to unlimited abortion rights.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:15 am 

For those of us not able to keep up with the speed of Irish politics (and I mean that, we still havent let the gays marry here), what is the eighth and what will repealing it do?

Before I get on my high horse I like to know these things.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:22 am 

Quote:
The State acknowledges the right to life of the unborn and, with due regard to the equal right to life of the mother, guarantees in its laws to respect, and, as far as practicable, by its laws to defend and vindicate that right.

Essentially bans abortion, even when there is a high risk that the mother will die without one and despite the fact that the baby won't survive. Its existence is barbaric and the whole situation is not helped by the battle ground being made between pro choice and pro life as opposed to focusing solely on the barbaric situations which can arise (not that that hasn't been highlighted too, sadly using a real life recent case).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:28 am 

CM11 wrote:
Quote:
The State acknowledges the right to life of the unborn and, with due regard to the equal right to life of the mother, guarantees in its laws to respect, and, as far as practicable, by its laws to defend and vindicate that right.

Essentially bans abortion, even when there is a high risk that the mother will die without one and despite the fact that the baby won't survive. Its existence is barbaric and the whole situation is not helped by the battle ground being made between pro choice and pro life as opposed to focusing solely on the barbaric situations which can arise (not that that hasn't been highlighted too, sadly using a real life recent case).

Seems open and shut.
Who is voting against repealing it and why?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:30 am 

Farva wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Quote:

Seems open and shut.

Mullet, he hates women.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:32 am 

Mullet believes that women should die to uphold some old traditions?

Mullet, is this true?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:34 am 

Farva wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Quote:

Seems open and shut.

You would think it'd be a no brainer but as said above, there will still be people who vote no to repealing it because they think they're voting for full access to abortion in Ireland. There's also people arguing that the wording of the amendment does allow for doctor's to intervene but no doctor wants to get involved in a legal discourse every time they need to make a life or death call. Essentially they need to be able to prove their opinion that the baby has no chance and the mother definitely would have died in a court of law each and every time.

But the vote hasn't actually been called yet because the establishment parties (who in a lot of regards are still far preferable to any other options) are stuck up their own arses and living in the past so don't have an overwhelming will to call the referendum. In particular our PM seems to be completely against it. :(

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:36 am 

While I understand that Ireland can be a conservative country at times, what is the argument against general abortion anyway?
Surely the argument that bring an unwanted child into the world when the mother / father are not in a position to raise them is not the right decision.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:40 am 

Farva wrote:
While I understand that Ireland can be a conservative country at times, what is the argument against general abortion anyway?
Surely the argument that bring an unwanted child into the world when the mother / father are not in a position to raise them is not the right decision.

I'd be firmly pro choice so I agree with you. The basic argument against as far as a I can see is that some people feel that conception = birth of baby with the actual birth just being when they come out into the world so abortion is murder.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:41 am 

Farva wrote:

The biggest battle here almost is going to be getting the govt to actually hold a referendum. Nobody wants to touch this.

The argument against will come from the religious loons mostly.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:44 am 

Farva wrote:

Logical thought process doesn't come into the equation for these ideologues, they prefer the serotonin rush of collective self-righteous indignation in their little troglodyte heads. Reasonable discourse is not an option.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:46 am 

CM11 wrote:
I'd be firmly pro choice .

:lol:
Having twenty kids will do that to you.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:47 am 

Nolanator wrote:
CM11 wrote:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:58 am 

Nolanator wrote:
CM11 wrote:

:lol: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:14 am 

Since I last posted 15 babies have been saved by the 8th and Stats has welcomed little Derek into the world

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:34 am 

EverReady wrote:
Since I last posted 15 babies have been saved by the 8th and Stats has welcomed little Derek into the world

Approx 3,500 women travelled to the UK for abortions last year, with am sure around the same number going this year, your not going be able to "save" these babies. These women, couples deserve some dignity

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:45 am 

Onelostbear wrote:
EverReady wrote:

Approx 3,500 women travelled to the UK for abortions last year, with am sure around the same number going this year, your not going be able to "save" these babies. These women, couples deserve some dignity

So essentially all this does is restrict terminations to those with the determination and ability to travel for one.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:48 am 

Before anybody goes all biblical about the influence of the Catholic Church let's not forget that Northern Irish women are in a similar predicament thanks to the dark age misogynistic views of the Presbyterian loons there.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:48 am 

EverReady wrote:

Has he run out of names?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:01 am 

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
EverReady wrote:

Has he run out of names?

This is his second Derek and I think he has three Maurice's.

Sefton why do all the Irish women go to Liverpool to get abortions? I'd go to somewhere hot and has shopping like Majorca. I should start a website.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:26 pm 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
Onelostbear wrote:
EverReady wrote:

So essentially all this does is restrict terminations to those with the determination and ability to travel for one.

Basically yes. But the worst cases are those where the mother is in hospital with no ability to travel and the doctors unwilling to risk legal sanction.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:33 pm 

EverReady wrote:

Are you satirising the bad guys or a bad guy? I've got my virtue signalling stick all ready but don't want to jump in too soon.

BTW I saw Brooklyn last night, I thought it was just wonderful.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:03 pm 

Farva wrote:

The argument is we dont like killing babies

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:05 pm 

HighKingLeinster wrote:
Farva wrote:

No one is asking you to.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:15 pm 

CM11 wrote:
Quote:
The State acknowledges this is a Catholic country and blah blah blah

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:57 pm 

CM11 wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:
Farva wrote:

No one is asking you to.

Assuming serious, that's a pretty pathetic argument.
Just because trained medical practitioners are carrying out the process- does not change the fact that it is still cold, calculated murder.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:16 pm 

plum-pudding wrote:
CM11 wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:
Farva wrote:

No one is asking you to.

Assuming serious, that's a pretty pathetic argument.
Just because trained medical practitioners are carrying out the process- does not change the fact that it is still cold, calculated murder.

:lol: every sperm is sacred

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3891 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 98  Next