Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86  Next
 Post subject: Re: NBA season 2018/19
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:55 am 

Tehui wrote:
Marshall Banana wrote:
Wow - what a win by the Thunder.

The 26-point come-from-behind win is the biggest rally in Thunder history.

Man, I am spent! :lol:

The starters are a boss unit.

My good friend, Scrub Nader, played 4 minutes in the first half and was a total wreck. Billy benched him in the 2nd half, and we farking won! :lol:

Sorry, Nader, but you need to go to China.

PG is a monster!

Call me a contrarian MB, but I actually like the look of Nader. I've seen more out of Nader with his limited opportunities, than I ever saw from Abrines who was given plenty.

I agree, the starters are a well balanced unit.

I couldn't disagree more. Abrines is so much better than Nader.

There might be something in Nader's 3-point shot, but his lack of awareness on both sides of the ball is alarming. He just doesn't know how to defend - at all. And he has these drives to the rim where he ends up missing horribly - these happen every game. :lol:

He also has zero athleticism.

I don't think he'll ever be good enough to carve out a career in the NBA. I think the Thunder waive him in the off-season.

I'd love to be wrong, but...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:04 am 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Good win for the Thunder tonight, especially with no Schroder or Grant. Fat Ray actually played ok, he still called his own number most of the time but at least he hit his shots. PG was immense again.

Wins over the Rockets & now the Blazers have put a bit of daylight between them & the chasing pack & they're within striking distance of 2nd place.

Fat Ray's defence >>> Schroder's defence.

He was freaking fantastic! Busted his ass out there.

PG is a top 5 player in the NBA this season. I never thought he could reach these heights. Dude is a beast.

Steve did a good job of blowing up the Portland PnR today (and boxing out for his guys), but he is banged up to all hell. :uhoh:

Turned his left ankle, again, early in the game. Also finished the game with his right shoulder strapped up.

He is playing insane minutes. One more game before he gets a much needed week off...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:18 am 

I didn't see the game, but how the hell did Steven Adams play 35 minutes and only get 1 rebound? I love the guy, but his rebound stats are starting to disappoint me.

Great win for OKC by the way.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:59 am 

Tehui wrote:
I didn't see the game, but how the hell did Steven Adams play 35 minutes and only get 1 rebound? I love the guy, but his rebound stats are starting to disappoint me.

Great win for OKC by the way.

Remember he doesn't really go for defensive boards, especially if his opposite number is a strong rebounder. He'll box them out all game and let Russ start the break.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:06 am 

Russ + PG each got a triple-double in the same game today. A Thunder first for a duo.

Adams sacrificed rebound numbers for that to happen.

With Adams on the floor the Thunder have a defensive rebounding percentage of 76.2. The Jazz currently lead the league at 76%.

With Adams off the floor the Thunder have a defensive rebounding percentage of 68. The Phoenix Suns currently are bottom of the league at 68.8%.

When Steve recently sat against the Magic, the Magic had a season high in offensive rebounds.

Further to add, Westbrook leads the league in uncontested rebounds. Steve ranks highly in contested rebounds, and gets no freebies out there.

He's doing his job - but as I said before, he's banged up and needs a rest.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:49 pm 

It really annoys me how much the Rockets juice Harden's numbers. He's playing far more minutes than he should and it's going to hurt them but I don't think they care. He's 4 mpg more than Giannis in 3rd :uhoh:

Would love if the freak or PG took MVP and I think they will. The thunder have been incredible with a tough schedule.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:32 pm 

TheBouncer wrote:
It really annoys me how much the Rockets juice Harden's numbers. He's playing far more minutes than he should and it's going to hurt them but I don't think they care. He's 4 mpg more than Giannis in 3rd :uhoh:

Would love if the freak or PG took MVP and I think they will. The thunder have been incredible with a tough schedule.

Huh? They've played the easiest schedule so far of anyone in the West. They've got the toughest remaining schedule in the league, though.

Kings tied for 8th now. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:07 pm 

I thought their recent run was tough but having checked I obviously misremembered

Watched the 6ers just now and that 5 looks the goods, Harris was getting whatever he wanted.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:14 pm 

TheBouncer wrote:
I thought their recent run was tough but having checked I obviously misremembered

Watched the 6ers just now and that 5 looks the goods, Harris was getting whatever he wanted.

There aren't a lot of easy games in the league in general, particularly for teams in the West. The NBA is great right now and it will be even better next year if/when the Warriors lose Durant. Would be a wide open race if he leaves and doesn't go somewhere stacked.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:48 pm 

goeagles wrote:
TheBouncer wrote:

There aren't a lot of easy games in the league in general, particularly for teams in the West. The NBA is great right now and it will be even better next year if/when the Warriors lose Durant. Would be a wide open race if he leaves and doesn't go somewhere stacked.

I hope that happens. As well as AD winding up at the Celtics.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:19 pm 

Marshall Banana wrote:
He's doing his job - but as I said before, he's banged up and needs a rest.

I've noticed that the in the games I've seen over the last 2 weeks. He doesn't look like he's moving as well on his feet as I've seen him in the past.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:22 pm 

goeagles wrote:
TheBouncer wrote:

I can't see that happening. KD hasn't played without another all star calibre player on his team since....his rookie year perhaps?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:45 pm 

Tehui wrote:
goeagles wrote:
TheBouncer wrote:

I can't see that happening. KD hasn't played without another all star calibre player on his team since....his rookie year perhaps?

He might want to change that narrative, but he also definitely wants max money, which I don't think the Warriors can do while keeping their original core which seems to be something of a priority. He can also sign with a team in a big market that might not have a superstar at this point but would instantly be a contender with him, like the Clippers or Nets. I guess DLo is technically an all star, although he's not really a top 24 player in the league, which is what I would take to be all-star caliber. Even if he signs with the Knicks and they sign another star, I wouldn't really consider that a stacked team. Stacked is going to a team that already has multiple all stars and makes them ridiculously good a la the Warriors currently.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:24 pm 

goeagles wrote:
TheBouncer wrote:

Huh? They've played the easiest schedule so far of anyone in the West. They've got the toughest remaining schedule in the league, though.

Yeah, but their schedule in recent weeks - when they've won 11 of 12 - has been pretty strong.

They've played Philly, Milwaukee, Boston, Portland (twice) & Houston and have won all but one of those games.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:28 am 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
goeagles wrote:
TheBouncer wrote:

Yeah, but their schedule in recent weeks - when they've won 11 of 12 - has been pretty strong.

Combined win percentage (teams they played twice counted double) of the last 12 teams they've played is .511. That's slightly harder than average, although probably about average for a team in the West. Nearly every 12 game stretch is going to look tough to the naked eye this year because there are fewer truly shit teams than normal and there are a lot of good teams this year.

Lakers choke down the stretch in ATL :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:41 am 

The point being they've won 11 of 12. It may not have been a murderer's row in all 12 games but they've beaten all the banana skins while beating almost all the contenders too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:42 am 

Ummm, are we sure the Lakers are going to make the playoffs?

IIRC they have one of the hardest remaining schedules too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:50 am 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
The point being they've won 11 of 12. It may not have been a murderer's row in all 12 games but they've beaten all the banana skins while beating almost all the contenders too.

And my point from the beginning was that they haven't played a tough schedule, not that they haven't won some games.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:09 am 

Everyone shitting on the Pacers but the ‘contender’ Sixers are 1-7 this year against the Bucks, Celtics, and Raptors.

Celtics 6-2 against the same (with Sixers subbed in).

Last edited by fonzeee on Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:10 am 

fonzeee wrote:
Ummm, are we sure the Lakers are going to make the playoffs?

IIRC they have one of the hardest remaining schedules too.

Their April schedule is BRUTAL - Warriors, Clippers, Blazers, Jazz and Thunder, :shock: their only saving grace being that 4 of those 5 games are at Staples center.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:52 am 

fonzeee wrote:
the ‘contender’ Sixers are 1-7 this year against the Bucks, Celtics, and Raptors.

I wonder if part of that is that Simmons lack of an outside shot hurts more against the better defensive teams.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:49 pm 

Thunder sign Markieff Morris.

Decent pick up, he could definitely help out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:02 am 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Thunder sign Markieff Morris.

Decent pick up, he could definitely help out.

IF he's healthy, that's a big boost to the roster. :thumbup:

I thought we were no chance to get him...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:24 am 

Can someone please grow a pair and send The Asset home and get him out of Kenrich's way

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:24 am 

Zion Williamson's shoe blew up and he got a knee injury 33 seconds into Duke's game vs. North Carolina. Ruled out rest of game. Widely perceived to be the #1 pick in the upcoming NBA Draft.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:57 am 

Some people dropped $2-3k to watch Luke Maye destroy Duke! :lol:

Duke have completely fallen apart without Zion...

Before Zion blew out his PG's, I suffered through Louisville v. Syracuse. It took the Cards until garbage time to have more made FGs than turnovers.

They finished 14/54 from the floor with 13 turnovers. :uhoh:

Basically, what I'm getting it, is college basketball fucking sucks. Zion is risking hundreds of millions of dollars for this shit?!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:03 am 

Marshall Banana wrote:

Basically, what I'm getting it, is college basketball fucking sucks. Zion is risking hundreds of millions of dollars for this shit?!

Amen.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:24 am 

Would Zion have gone #1 if he had taken the year off?

Anyway, the one-and-done rule will end shortly, so that will help...

College kids getting paid wouldn't hurt either.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:48 pm 

Marshall Banana wrote:
Some people dropped $2-3k to watch Luke Maye destroy Duke! :lol:

Duke have completely fallen apart without Zion...

Before Zion blew out his PG's, I suffered through Louisville v. Syracuse. It took the Cards until garbage time to have more made FGs than turnovers.

They finished 14/54 from the floor with 13 turnovers. :uhoh:

He has an 8-million dollar loss of value insurance policy if he falls below #16 in the draft, per Darren Rovell.

1. NBA regular season play is absolutely atrocious. Everyone thinks it's written in stone Golden State are winning and that's 4 months from now. Meanwhile the bottom 6 to 8 teams in the league are throwing games to try and get Williamson. I just can't get why people unless your team is awesome and/or entertaining to watch, put up with that shit that fucking sucks. Even if you're in the middle of the league, you know you'll lose to the good teams and the bad teams are throwing games to let you win. I mean, if you're a Knicks season ticket holder, why?

2. Think a lot of the issue with college basketball top teams is they have become very one-dimensional centered around certain players, and I think the shoe companies and how they direct certain players to certain schools is part to blame. I'm a Purdue fan and an N.C. State fan. Purdue's top star is Carson Edwards, who will play in the NBA. You will never find a more talented bad basketball player. Carson likes to dribble cross half-court, chuck up brick 3-pointers with 20 left on the shot clock, dribble in the middle of 2 to 3 guys. And this is every single game. On Tuesday night, Purdue played at Indiana. Edwards shot 4-of-24 for 9 points. One of his made shots was a layup. Purdue as a team shot 19-of-60 and scored 48. Edwards took 40% of Purdue's shots, scored less than 20% of its points, and if you remove Edwards from the team shooting, the numbers are 15-of-36, 43%, not good but not terrible either. Frankly I'd love it if the Edwardses and Williamsons of the world never heard of college basketball. It would be great for college basketball. If I wanted to watch one-dimensional basketball where team play is nonexistent and everything is centered around the star player, I'd watch the NBA, which I haven't steady for 20 years. Purdue and State more since they don't get those players that have NBA dreams (Glenn Robinson notwithstanding), I can watch a guy grow as a player for 4 years and it's an actual team.

3. Last night made clear Duke should not be #1.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:59 pm 

Flyin Ryan wrote:

1. NBA regular season play is absolutely atrocious.

Respectfully I disagree, anyone of the top 10 teams in the west and the top 4 in the east are good value to watch on any given night. Even some teams outside those are worth a watch because of a certain player that is hugely entertaining/exciting - Mavs/Doncic (sp?), Suns/Booker.

Likewise dont get the college basketball hate, some of the better basketball Ive watched over the last say, 5 years has been in the college ranks - the tournament is the jewel in the American sporting calendar imo.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:15 pm 

Flyin Ryan wrote:
NBA regular season play is absolutely atrocious. Everyone thinks it's written in stone Golden State are winning and that's 4 months from now. Meanwhile the bottom 6 to 8 teams in the league are throwing games to try and get Williamson. I just can't get why people unless your team is awesome and/or entertaining to watch, put up with that shit that fucking sucks. Even if you're in the middle of the league, you know you'll lose to the good teams and the bad teams are throwing games to let you win. I mean, if you're a Knicks season ticket holder, why?

I fucking love it! for all the little things and storylines and individual players and the bigger, long term outlook and all the hope and crushing disappointment that goes with it

Like the other day, just watching the Pelicans battle and beat the thunder for a meaningless win and seeing my boy Jrue getting all up in Paul George's business, seeing young Frank Jackson flash that rumoured athleticism with a dunk and undrafted guys like Kenrich Williams earning a starting spot ... if I could distill that and inject it into my veins I would

And I'll keep coming back for more... Coz next year we could have Tatum....or even Zion :D and I'll keep chasing the dragon (even though deep down I know I'll never see them win a championship in my lifetime)

But I'm a weirdo who watches summer league and preseason so disregard my rambling, as you were

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:32 pm 

Golden State being close to unbeatable is a big problem for me but besides that I've never had more interest in the league, it's in such a good place.

There's a great dispersion of talent and the sport translates so well to the internet age. I will never have an issue with teamwork taking a backseat to superstar talent and we've seen time and time again over the last decade that you can have both.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:47 pm 

Flyin Ryan wrote:
If I wanted to watch one-dimensional basketball where team play is nonexistent and everything is centered around the star player, I'd watch the NBA, which I haven't steady for 20 years.

That's the NBA 20 years ago, not the modern NBA. The modern NBA is all about ball movement and team play. Only the Rockets really run substantial ISO sets anymore and I'd agree they are shit to watch.

Flyin Ryan wrote:

1. NBA regular season play is absolutely atrocious. Everyone thinks it's written in stone Golden State are winning and that's 4 months from now. Meanwhile the bottom 6 to 8 teams in the league are throwing games to try and get Williamson. I just can't get why people unless your team is awesome and/or entertaining to watch, put up with that shit that fucking sucks. Even if you're in the middle of the league, you know you'll lose to the good teams and the bad teams are throwing games to let you win. I mean, if you're a Knicks season ticket holder, why?

Nobody has started tanking yet and they flattened out the lottery to help with this. The worst team in the league will only have a 14% chance at the top pick and will have a 47.9% chance of having the 5th overall pick. As above, if you think the NBA regular season is atrocious and you like the sport of basketball, you probably just haven't watched in awhile.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:48 pm 

Quote:
If I wanted to watch one-dimensional basketball where team play is nonexistent and everything is centered around the star player, I'd watch the NBA, which I haven't steady for 20 years.

There’s an NBA team that plays good team basketball right down the street from you.

And I wouldn’t hand GS the trophy just yet as they were a Chris Paul blown knee away from not even making the finals last year.

College ball’s ok but the gulf in class is just way too much for me. And let’s be honest, the college regular season is even more meaningless than the NBA’s.

Do hate tanking though, you’re right about that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:50 pm 

TheBouncer wrote:
Golden State being close to unbeatable is a big problem for me...

That's how the league has just about always been! I paid way more attention in the '90s. You know what the '90s was?

Is Jordan playing? Yes, Bulls win. No, free for all. That's it. 80% of the franchises in the league literally did not matter.

The league is way overexpanded considering the quantity of game-changing players is what it is, it's quite possibly less than the number of good to great quarterbacks you can win a Super Bowl with. If they want to have a more compelling season, get rid of the bottom 8 or so teams mid-season. You want to tank for a player, great, you lose home games at that point. Meanwhile it saves the rest of the league from watching their bullshit and higher quality basketball where everyone is trying to win results. (I know that'll never happen.) This was always a Bill Simmons point to one of the ESPN NBA beat guys of he liked dynasties, he wanted 2 great teams that were rivals and that was it (Lakers-Celtics in other words). The beat guy responded: "yeah, but I have to watch all these other teams play". NBA fandom more than any other sport (European soccer maybe), it's a fanbase full of starfuckers, i.e. "I cheer for teams that have the awesome player, or look at Lebron's career", but what that means is two-thirds of the league have little meaning to their season.

Last edited by Flyin Ryan on Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:51 pm 

TheBouncer wrote:
Golden State being close to unbeatable is a big problem for me but besides that I've never had more interest in the league, it's in such a good place.

There's a great dispersion of talent and the sport translates so well to the internet age. I will never have an issue with teamwork taking a backseat to superstar talent and we've seen time and time again over the last decade that you can have both.

The Warriors likely return to just being a good team after this year anyway. Pretty sure Durant is gone and Cousins likely too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:56 pm 

Give all lottery teams the same odds imo.

While you're incentivising the lower tier playoff teams to tank I think the odds of top pick would be remote enough that it would be rare. And the extra playoff revenue is a real deal for some of those.

There's no elixir but that's closest imo.

It's unacceptable that a handful of teams are completely unwatchable every year.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:57 pm 

goeagles wrote:
TheBouncer wrote:

The Warriors likely return to just being a good team after this year anyway. Pretty sure Durant is gone and Cousins likely too.

Yup it sounds like KD is done. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:04 pm 

TheBouncer wrote:
It's unacceptable that a handful of teams are completely unwatchable every year.

They should cut the Grizzlies and Clippers. Talent too diluted since the 1995 expansion.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:05 pm 

TheBouncer wrote:
Give all lottery teams the same odds imo.

While you're incentivising the lower tier playoff teams to tank I think the odds of top pick would be remote enough that it would be rare. And the extra playoff revenue is a real deal for some of those.

There's no elixir but that's closest imo.

To be fair, until the Grizz saw the forest for the trees and threw in the towel there was literally one bad team in the West. The other 14 were all at least decent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86  Next