It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:44 pm 

So is it -

Sarries v Glasgow

Racing v Toulouse

Leinster v Ulster

Edinburgh v Munster

Or have I consumed too much Timmy Taylors? (As if!)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:51 pm 

Correct. Looks like toulouse did the math and decided they'd rather got to Paris than Dublin.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:56 pm 

paddyor wrote:
Correct. Looks like toulouse did the math and decided they'd rather got to Paris than Dublin.

Yeah, I wondered that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:07 pm 

Only one English team. Time to tear down and rebuild the competition.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:10 pm 

paddyor wrote:

And who can blame them?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:12 pm 

Deadtigers wrote:

If the adage about the importance of a Home QF holds true, semi-finalists from England, France, Ireland and Scotland seems a healthy mix, n’est pas?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:12 pm 

Deadtigers wrote:

https://twitter.com/rpetty80/status/1086709211109707776

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:31 pm 

The Spivs will beat Glasgow, unless Billy V gets injured during the 6N.

Munster rely on a dominant pack but Edinburgh look like they can match them so should win this one at home.

Leinster will beat Ulster.

Racing against Toulouse will be the one to watch. If there'll be an away win it will be in this game.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:41 pm 

nuffsaid wrote:
Deadtigers wrote:

If the adage about the importance of a Home QF holds true, semi-finalists from England, France, Ireland and Scotland seems a healthy mix, n’est pas?

You'd expect so, tbf. I guess this would characterise the Spivs as overachievers. Channeling the Dunkirk spirit. Tally Ho, Pip-Pip.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:46 pm 

Only dead cert is Leinster v Ulster. Would put my mortgage on home win.

With the amount of travelling Munster fans I think Edinburgh v Munster will almost feel like a home tie for Munster.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:46 pm 

I know that Racing and Sarries will get home semis if they win but against whom?

Toulouse seem to have best chance of an upset, what might happen if they won?

Any insights on the SF permutations?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:51 pm 

shereblue wrote:
I know that Racing and Sarries will get home semis if they win but against whom?

Toulouse seem to have best chance of an upset, what might happen if they won?

Any insights on the SF permutations?

SF goes to the next highest seed. So if Toulouse win they're "away" to leinster or Ulster. If Glasgow win they're "away" to Edinburgh or Munster.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:54 pm 

So if you follow the permutations by the irish above...

the semis would lead to:

Saracens vs Edinburgh
Racing 92 vs Leinster (fancy Leinster to win that)

Is that correct?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:59 pm 

Munster will beat Embra.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:02 pm 

Toulouse will beat Racing.

Sarries v Munster probably in Twickers

Leinster v Toulouse in LR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:05 pm 

The year is 2234.....

"This is Dave4656A contacting Tadhg222H. Looking forward to London vs Dublin in the cup? I think the gravity levels at Moon Base 12 could favour Dublin."

"Yeah, well if you lose are you still going to try to change the league like the spivs did in 2014?"

"FFS you guys and your grudges. We don't get shitty with you and we're still in the backstop"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:14 pm 

Zico wrote:
The Spivs will beat Glasgow, unless Billy V gets injured during the 6N

Only reason Ryan Wilson is in the Squad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:17 pm 

Zico wrote:

Munster rely on a dominant pack but Edinburgh look like they can match them so should win this one at home.

Racing against Toulouse will be the one to watch. If there'll be an away win it will be in this game.

Edinburgh pack can match Munster. They did in the playoff last year, but the team didn't believe they could win knockout rugby in Ireland. Different beast now. Regardless of result, that'll be a brilliant day to be in Edinburgh. Really looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:25 pm 

Zico wrote:

If Munster aren't missing anyone after the 6 Nations I'd still fancy them to edge Edinburgh even over there.

That and Racing v Toulouse should be the tight ones.

Other two should go as expected.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:33 pm 

Edinburgh will do Munster.

The Irish hate playing at Murrayfield, and Cockers will have the Edinburgh boys foaming at the mouth.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:38 pm 

MrDominator wrote:

The Irish hate playing at Murrayfield, and Cockers will have the Edinburgh boys foaming at the mouth.

Right enough, he'll be all over the press for a fortnight before that game!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:40 pm 

IBWT wrote:
Zico wrote:

If Munster aren't missing anyone after the 6 Nations I'd still fancy them to edge Edinburgh even over there.

As an Edinburgh fan, I love this. The idea that people are talking about one of the biggest sides coming to us and 'edging' us, rather than walking all over us, is an indication of how far we've come. And how we're still underestimated.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:44 pm 

Edinburgh v Munster will not be played as it is the day after Brexit and things will be in a mess. Could even affect Leinster v Ulster.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:49 pm 

nuffsaid wrote:
Deadtigers wrote:

This whole thing about home advantage is a bit of a red herring; the top 4 teams play at home against the worst 4 teams, so it’s a bit loaded. But yes, would be very good to have one from each and they would be cracking games.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:54 pm 

clydecloggie wrote:
Edinburgh v Munster will not be played as it is the day after Brexit and things will be in a mess. Could even affect Leinster v Ulster.

They'll fly in on the 29th, so they'll be fine. How they get home is anyone's f**king guess. Swim.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:58 pm 

I didn't realise this is the first season where the semi-finals are also determined by seeding rather than that stupid draw they do after the QFs

so Glasgow and Toulouse will have to do it the hard way if they want to make the final, two away knock-out games

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:00 pm 

Punter15 wrote:
nuffsaid wrote:
Deadtigers wrote:

This whole thing about home advantage is a bit of a red herring; the top 4 teams play at home against the worst 4 teams, so it’s a bit loaded. But yes, would be very good to have one from each and they would be cracking games.

That’s a reasonable argument. 87.5 home wine percentage might support it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:00 pm 

openclashXX wrote:
I didn't realise this is the first season where the semi-finals are also determined by seeding rather than that stupid draw they do after the QFs

so Glasgow and Toulouse will have to do it the hard way if they want to make the final, two away knock-out games

Have to say, about time. You shouldn't get rewarded for being shit in the pool games.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:22 pm 

openclashXX wrote:

It's not the first time there hasn't been a draw.

Semi finalists have been preordained since the new format. They've just rejigged how it works. They used to reward an away team winning a quarter, which meant the 3rd and 4th seeds could never have a home semi. Now they've changed that to the 7th and 8th seeds never being able to get a home semi.

Frankly, I think the open draw for the semis was fairer given the vagaries of the pool stages where being a top seed (and bottom seed) usually means an easy group so you're being rewarded thrice over by getting a lucky pool.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:32 pm 

CM11 wrote:
openclashXX wrote:

Semi finalists have been preordained since the new format. They've just rejigged how it works. They used to reward an away team winning a quarter, which meant the 3rd and 4th seeds could never have a home semi. Now they've changed that to the 7th and 8th seeds never being able to get a home semi.

Frankly, I think the open draw for the semis was fairer given the vagaries of the pool stages where being a top seed (and bottom seed) usually means an easy group so you're being rewarded thrice over by getting a lucky pool.

Reasonable argument, but the current system at least makes it easier to plan your travel and accommodation. Priorities may be debatable but I think a lot of travelling fans prefer this version.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:36 pm 

nuffsaid wrote:
CM11 wrote:
openclashXX wrote:

Reasonable argument, but the current system at least makes it easier to plan your travel and accommodation. Priorities may be debatable but I think a lot of travelling fans prefer this version.

There's no difference between this version and what happened before.

Used to be, quarter finalists were known after group stages and within days they'd done the draw for the semis so everyone knew the permutations of where they'd end up if they won their quarter. Now the only difference is a few days extra knowing the permutations.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:39 pm 

And actually, there was more certainty in the old format.

Take Leinster/Ulster. If they'd been drawn at home in the semis then a match in Lansdowne in the semis would be assured. So everyone would know that's where the semi was.

Similarly, if Racing/Toulouse were home, the exact part of France wouldn't be known but the country would so people could book flights to Paris if they wanted and then get a train if Toulouse won.

Current format means that the semi could be in Ireland or France. Much more uncertainty for neutrals or anyone wanting to back their side to win the quarter.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:45 pm 

Last one, to generalise this further, in the current format there are 6 possible semi final destinations whereas it was 4 in the old format.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:16 pm 

Biffer29 wrote:
Zico wrote:

Edinburgh pack can match Munster. They did in the playoff last year, but the team didn't believe they could win knockout rugby in Ireland. Different beast now. Regardless of result, that'll be a brilliant day to be in Edinburgh. Really looking forward to it.

Absolutely. Though I think Munster are better in the halves and their replacements.

From Russ petty on twitter

Only ones I can see that are missing are maybe Bradbury and Bennett but I'm sure they're starters. The Embra / Leinster game could be very interesting(though we could have the conference all but wrapped up by then) wrt Munster the following week.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:17 pm 

Interesting stats

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:39 pm 

Neither of those charts mean anything to me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:42 pm 

IBWT wrote:
Zico wrote:

+1

Should be two absolutely cracking matches :thumbup: :thumbup:

Now; the important business; can the Scottish fans make sure their publicans get their logistics right, & make sure there's plenty of Porter, & hang sandwiches on hand !

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:43 pm 

Confident Embra can do the business v Munster at home. They played them away in the playoffs last season and could easily have won if they had backed themselves a bit more. They will want payback, and MF will be bouncing for a change.

Unfortunately, in order for either Scottish side to make the final in Glasgow, one of them will have to beat Saracens away - either Glasgow in the QF or Embra in the SF - and I can’t see that happening.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:10 am 

MrDominator wrote:

Nice to have a little bit of Engerland involved in real rugby, even if just a gobshite like Cockerill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:12 am 

Doc Rob wrote:
Confident Embra can do the business v Munster at home. They played them away in the playoffs last season and could easily have won if they had backed themselves a bit more. They will want payback, and MF will be bouncing for a change.

Unfortunately, in order for either Scottish side to make the final in Glasgow, one of them will have to beat Saracens away - either Glasgow in the QF or Embra in the SF - and I can’t see that happening.

Compared to the last decade, what an improvement that is in itself though. You don't look out of place at all anymore.