Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:09 am 

Big Nipper wrote:
What did Dolores do to Teddy?

Basically turned him into a loyal, heartless killing machine. Ramped up all the nasty attributes and pushed the nice ones down.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:10 am 

I loved the 1st season, and the 4th episode of this season, but the rest have been rather average in comparison

The Samurai Land thing is a bit boring and predictable

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:22 am 

CM11 wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
CM11 wrote:
The psychic stuff isn't that odd really. We know they're all connected, we know she's done something to her code to be able to control them so really it's just one computer talking to another wirelessly.

How do we know she has a wifi receptor?

One of the episodes Bernard mentioned it to the lady executive, whose name I can't remember, that all the hosts were connected. Think it was when they were tracking Abernathy?

Yep, mesh network.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:28 pm 

So Ford lives on in the matrix (another timeline/reality?) and Dolores/Wyatt was doing the interrogation of Bernard/Arnold which a few people called.

Maeve is selective in her use of powers, I guess to create some tension.

Interesting episode.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:39 am 

First episode of west world that I didn’t enjoy. Really hope it hasn’t jumped the shark but it’s looking that way :(

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:55 am 

I can’t agree - the amount of terrific writing only seems to improve .

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:03 am 

It's remarkable writing to make even Edo period Japan seem boring, I agree.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:14 am 

Boring ?

You be having a laugh .

The swordsmanship alone !!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:21 am 

Yeah if I was 15 I’d have loved the sword fighting and ignored the fact that the rest of the episode was utter pants

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:23 am 

eugenius wrote:
Boring ?

You be having a laugh .

The swordsmanship alone !!

Sword fighting between two characters we barely know or care about, with the result a foregone conclusion, watched over by omnipotent goddess Maeve. Dull.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:24 am 

I enjoyed it. It's a different show to season 1, but that was always going to happen.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:25 am 

Zakar wrote:
I enjoyed it. It's a different show to season 1, but that was always going to happen.

Agreed. It would have been nice if they made it interesting though.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:27 am 

Series 1 = :thumbup:

Series 2 = :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:34 am 

It seems like they've had to manufacture 10 hours of television from about 1 hour of plot for the season

Almost all the stuff that's happened so far seems like filler and the only plot line of consequence seems to be Bernard's.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:52 am 

deadduck wrote:
It seems like they've had to manufacture 10 hours of television from about 1 hour of plot for the season

Almost all the stuff that's happened so far seems like filler and the only plot line of consequence seems to be Bernard's.

Yup, which jumps back and forth so much its difficult to keep track of without referring to Reddit explainers.

What I'm left with is who do we care about? In any successful and popular show we have to have people to root for, even if it takes a long time to do so (for e.g. Jaime Lannister). Outside of MiB are there any characters we actually care about as viewers? Teddy? Elsie? His daughter shows promise I guess.

When you think, what's happened this season, it boils down to Dolores finding her dad and killing people, Maeve finding her daughter and developing super powers, Charlotte Hale being tough, Bernard slipping in and out of reality, MiB still on some path... none of these stories have really developed from the first ep. It's all just shuffling pieces across the board.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:43 pm 

Haven't switched off just yet but starting to lose interest. As mentioned the philosophy and character development is now secondary to lots of action sequences involving people we don't really know or give two shits about.

It could just be personnel. Only decent episode was directed by Lisa Joy and Nolan has also taken a relative step back from that and the writing.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:11 pm 

lemonhead wrote:
Haven't switched off just yet but starting to lose interest. As mentioned the philosophy and character development is now secondary to lots of action sequences involving people we don't really know or give two shits about.

It could just be personnel. Only decent episode was directed by Lisa Joy and Nolan has also taken a relative step back from that and the writing.

This. At least in the first series I knew pretty much who was who, in this one I don't know who-da-fvck most of them are anymore. I've never had anywhere near an absorbed interest in Westworld or most of the characters but it's just turning into unrepentant wankery. I appreciate and generally enjoy the vogue for TV where very little is explained and the viewer is made to think but I'd love more bare naked exposition as I really can't be arsed to look for and follow fan theories.

And it still needs more tits

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:19 am 

Man In Black wrote:
deadduck wrote:

Yup, which jumps back and forth so much its difficult to keep track of without referring to Reddit explainers.

What I'm left with is who do we care about? In any successful and popular show we have to have people to root for, even if it takes a long time to do so (for e.g. Jaime Lannister). Outside of MiB are there any characters we actually care about as viewers? Teddy? Elsie? His daughter shows promise I guess.

When you think, what's happened this season, it boils down to Dolores finding her dad and killing people, Maeve finding her daughter and developing super powers, Charlotte Hale being tough, Bernard slipping in and out of reality, MiB still on some path... none of these stories have really developed from the first ep. It's all just shuffling pieces across the board.

There's an awful lot of threads to weave back together in the last few episodes of the season for the story to have any purpose at all. To do that without it seeming cheap or contrived will be some achievement, but it seems more likely it will be the death knell for the show.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:44 am 

Westworld Season 2 is some of the most turgid shit on television.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:54 am 

Pretty poor stuff at the moment. I might abandon this mid season. Walking Dead style.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:21 pm 

So episode 7 is fairly important for a few things but mostly not very good and fairly ridiculous. What's the point in introducing another group of bad ass soldiers when they're just going to get massacred the first fight they stumble into? And how do they end up so poorly trained that they let hosts live and get up close to remark at how beautiful they are?

All the timelines/realities are getting a bit cumbersome too.

James Marsden doesn't really work as a merciless killer either, and now Teddy is completely uninteresting. There's zero peril at all for Dolores et al, they're overpowered beyond belief.

It's keeping me hooked but some parts are very grating.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:15 pm 

Last episode wasn’t very good - 😞

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:40 pm 

I enjoyed it, in an action movie kind of way. Not a lot of thought, but fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:25 pm 

The takedown of the elite crack secret elite crack commandos was f'ing stupid especially the bit with the guy and Angela in the cradle (though I can forgive him being distracted by her epic bewbs).

The stuff with Bernard & Ford was interesting & does seem to be getting somewhere.

I was a bit confused with the William & Maeve parts - what happened to Hector, Armistice and Japanese Armistice?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:07 am 

Angela was married to Elon Musk...twice! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:14 am 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
The takedown of the elite crack secret elite crack commandos was f'ing stupid especially the bit with the guy and Angela in the cradle (though I can forgive him being distracted by her epic bewbs).

The stuff with Bernard & Ford was interesting & does seem to be getting somewhere.

I was a bit confused with the William & Maeve parts - what happened to Hector, Armistice and Japanese Armistice?

Was going to say, if the WW version of Pete Tranter's sister ditched the gun and came over to say hello I'd probably hear her out as well.

Felt like a clumsy episode but feck of a sight better than the last two.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:31 am 

Aren't all the robots reprogrammed super soldiers now? Innately stronger (because they're robots), with the digital shackles off. That's how I've been taken their fights against the crack squadrons.

I haven't had chance to post in this for a couple of weeks, so to track back to last week episode, I too thought the Jap sidequest was a bit nonsense. Seemed to be made for Samurai fanbois who don't realise that katana's are shit brittle swords (i.e. all Americans, and Eug apparently)...and even if you were into it, we simply didn't spend enough time with the characters to care whether they lived or died.

Back to this week. At least they've solved the Anthony Hopkins shaped hole in the plot...by reintroducing Anthony Hopkins. And it's also good that we finally, just about, understand Bernard's timelines.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:36 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Aren't all the robots reprogrammed super soldiers now? Innately stronger (because they're robots), with the digital shackles off. That's how I've been taken their fights against the crack squadrons.

I haven't had chance to post in this for a couple of weeks, so to track back to last week episode, I too thought the Jap sidequest was a bit nonsense. Seemed to be made for Samurai fanbois who don't realise that katana's are shit brittle swords (i.e. all Americans, and Eug apparently)...and even if you were into it, we simply didn't spend enough time with the characters to care whether they lived or died.

Back to this week. At least they've solved the Anthony Hopkins shaped hole in the plot...by reintroducing Anthony Hopkins. And it's also good that we finally, just about, understand Bernard's timelines.

Yep.

And now Ford is completely in the system (as part of Bernard).

How's old mate William thinking everyone is Ford.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:51 am 

Zakar wrote:
I enjoyed it, in an action movie kind of way. Not a lot of thought, but fun.

The action scenes in particular, are shit.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:44 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:

They're certainly very hard to kill - they're not quite Terminator level as their soft tissue does seem to matter, but they can take way more damage than a human and their markmanship & fighting abilities can be ramped up as we've seen (though that seems to require one of those control pads and Dolores needed a human to operate it), BUT this week they seemed to have an innate understanding of the commando's tactics and planning ability that doesn't quite ring true.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:48 am 

Thomas wrote:
Yep.

And now Ford is completely in the system (as part of Bernard).

How's old mate William thinking everyone is Ford.

Yeah, I don't quite get how that works - "I can't leave the cradle or my mind will degrade....but I can if I go into your body along with your mind, despite Dolores' dad showing that too much information in a host will fudge it up royally....because....hey, look at this action scene!"

Also, Bernard just standing there in that fight scene in the control room was bloody stupid. Even if the hosts were somehow programmed not to attack him (which I can buy Ford being able to pull off), what about the Commandos (not all of them would recognise him) or y'know, what about stray bullets?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:56 am 

The problem with shows like this is if the final episode is not written before the screening of the first it all just becomes a load of drivel written to keep the series going. Two episodes into season two the decision was made to continue into season 3. Season 3 no doubt will also be a load of drivel with no logical and natural end as they will no doubt hope to be taken up for a season 4.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:53 am 

It's losing me. So good first season. So hard to understand, let alone get any enjoyment from following it now. Probably click-bait now for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:56 am 

Peteray wrote:
It's losing me. So good first season. So hard to understand, let alone get any enjoyment from following it now. Probably click-bait now for me.

That's it. The show has gone the way of Lost.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:59 pm 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
... And it's also good that we finally, just about, understand Bernard's timelines.

We do?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:17 pm 

Anonymous. wrote:
Peteray wrote:

It reminds me of Lost in that they dangled a potentially incredible storyline in front of us before disappearing up their own hole. Watching an elite swat team soldier decline a free shot at a robot who had just murdered most of his unit in favour of approaching her and trying to chat her up - well basically we should rename jumping the shark now as chatting up the host, it was that bad.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:52 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Peteray wrote:

It reminds me of Lost in that they dangled a potentially incredible storyline in front of us before disappearing up their own hole. Watching an elite swat team soldier decline a free shot at a robot who had just murdered most of his unit in favour of approaching her and trying to chat her up - well basically we should rename jumping the shark now as chatting up the host, it was that bad.

I dunno, those bewbs were pretty hypnotic...(and bigger than usual, could she inflate them at will, prior to sending herself to jihadi host paradise?)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:08 am 

tabascoboy wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
... And it's also good that we finally, just about, understand Bernard's timelines.

We do?

Pretty much.

This is a good insight and has a neat chronological graphic.

http://www.thisisinsider.com/westworld-timeline-spoilers-2018-4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:43 am 

Actually, I think the Lost comparisons are unfair (or, more particularly, are not quite correct in what the comparison is). I'd bet very good money that the ending of the show has already been written, alongside all the major arcs (the intertwined timelines alone suggest a serious amount of planning).

Where I think Lost comparisons ar correct, is in the way the writers have tried (too hard) to create a 'fog of mystery' that at once hides the true path of the sow, while also (supposedly) suckng you in week after week to see what the answers are.

That graphic in the link is a good example of how it's been more fog than mystery this season, as we're seemingly dealing in, what, 8 odd timelines...you actually do need a graphic to help you along, which is bullshit to the layman who just wants to be entertained.

In summary, the story has been made way more complex than it needed to be.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:57 am 

Thomas wrote:
tabascoboy wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

We do?

Pretty much.

This is a good insight and has a neat chronological graphic.

http://www.thisisinsider.com/westworld-timeline-spoilers-2018-4

Cheers, as I said before I haven't been into the show so much I cared to think deeply about it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next