Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4937
Location: Eryri
c69 wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
True Blue wrote:
I was wondering how they were going to afford Hopkins for the next season - guess that answers that question. They pulled a Sean Bean.


Not necessarily. Ford was 3D printing someone in his secret lab, and they never told us who. Could easily have been a host version of himself.

Err I've posted the answer


OK. There's clearly a clue I've missed in the clip of the handshake. Still unclear as to what it is though!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Posts: 46942
Location: In the Centre/left wing
Doc Rob wrote:
c69 wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
True Blue wrote:
I was wondering how they were going to afford Hopkins for the next season - guess that answers that question. They pulled a Sean Bean.


Not necessarily. Ford was 3D printing someone in his secret lab, and they never told us who. Could easily have been a host version of himself.

Err I've posted the answer


OK. There's clearly a clue I've missed in the clip of the handshake. Still unclear as to what it is though!

Ford claimed in an earlier episode that one of the things the host could not master was a handshake.
Ergo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18916
Location: Adelaide via Sydney and Patea
c69 wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
c69 wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
True Blue wrote:
I was wondering how they were going to afford Hopkins for the next season - guess that answers that question. They pulled a Sean Bean.


Not necessarily. Ford was 3D printing someone in his secret lab, and they never told us who. Could easily have been a host version of himself.

Err I've posted the answer


OK. There's clearly a clue I've missed in the clip of the handshake. Still unclear as to what it is though!

Ford claimed in an earlier episode that one of the things the host could not master was a handshake.
Ergo


"Early" Hosts...meanwhile, enquiring minds want to know...

Quote:
“Doesn’t anybody eat around here?” and 6 other inconsequential Westworld mysteries


http://www.avclub.com/article/doesnt-an ... nse-246893


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10921
Location: Watson city, MN
alliswell wrote:
Maybe William gets to the end of his quest, realises it's just a cheap storyline and says f**k it, I'm off to kill robots.

Closest I got to an accurate prediction. I'm not cut out for this stuff


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27792
alliswell wrote:
alliswell wrote:
Maybe William gets to the end of his quest, realises it's just a cheap storyline and says f**k it, I'm off to kill robots.

Closest I got to an accurate prediction. I'm not cut out for this stuff


Certainly better than my "William, devastated at the loss of the love of his life, moons over Delores for 30 years before reawakening their love via the Maze" prediction. :lol:

There was always going to be a twist that one of the apparent 'bad guys' on the show was going to turn out to be a good guy. Everyone picked William, when in fact it was Ford.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18916
Location: Adelaide via Sydney and Patea
Jeff the Bear wrote:
There's also the point I made earlier in the thread that the land seems totally devoid of any critters.


What about that wolf and those pesky flies?
Hosts?
:shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16587
The wolf almost certainly is a host. The fly may not be as it that would take away from the moment when Dolores swatted one (though now we know that it was part of Ford's narrative, I guess it doesn't matter). Though the fly in the lab when Armistice bites the dude's finger off was probably real.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:05 pm
Posts: 9780
Finally opened this thread after avoiding spoilers, glad I did because you chaps analysed it to pieces :lol: that would have taken away some of the enjoyment for me.

Westworld was a decent show, I particularly enjoyed the perspectives on humanity Ford's character provides.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am
Posts: 12266
Jeff the Bear wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
True Blue wrote:
500 miles across is enormous. The entire South Island is barely 500 miles long...i don't think that is correct. Probably just a writers error and they mean 500 square miles.

If you look at the geography it's quite unique and really only seen in the US/Mexico and I can't imagine any country ceding such a huge land area to a private company. So it's either an error or they are not on earth.


I tended to think it was meant to be 500 square miles, but then Dolores & William were on that train for like 3 days, so maybe not....


Indeed. 500 square miles is just 22 miles across. No chance it's that small. A decent runner would be able to cross it in a couple of hours. Journeys apparently take days in Westworld though.

When they're in the control room, the size of the map suggests it's 500 mile across.

However, I don't buy that there are umpteen parks either. How many 'worlds' could you realistically create that people would be willing to spend cash on:

Jurassic World (once they had got the rights)
Ice Age World (once they had got the rights) / Neanderthal World
Roman World
Egypt World
Medieval World
Samurai World
China Dynasty World
Aristocracy World
Second World War World
Cold War (Spy Thriller) World
Zombie World
Alien World

There's probably a handful more, but you'd struggle to get beyond 20 I reckon.



Beat New Zealand World.


Welsh would be lined up around the block


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10905
Jeff the Bear wrote:
Alien World

Pandora (Borderlands) World would be cool :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6146
Jeff the Bear wrote:
There was always going to be a twist that one of the apparent 'bad guys' on the show was going to turn out to be a good guy. Everyone picked William, when in fact it was Ford.


So that's the good guy whose creations went on a killing spree against humans. That good guy?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10905
Hmmm, still unanswered questions...

Quote:
Who does laundry in Westworld, and how do they get the blood stains off everything so nicely?

Shit gets bloody in Westworld, that much is clear, but who gets all that sticky stuff off the hosts’ clothing? I am convinced there must be a huge laundry operation at the park in which employees work tirelessly to make sure Dolores’ blue dress and its ilk are spick and span for each new loop. Plenty of improbable things happen in Westworld, but I assume there aren’t 500 versions of the same outfit for each host. That would be madness even Arnold couldn’t fathom. I do wonder, however, if the “blood” injected into the hosts is designed to be more easily removable than human blood to make clean-up easy. [Esther Zuckerman]

http://www.avclub.com/article/doesnt-an ... nse-246893


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 51862
Edinburgh01 wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
There was always going to be a twist that one of the apparent 'bad guys' on the show was going to turn out to be a good guy. Everyone picked William, when in fact it was Ford.


So that's the good guy whose creations went on a killing spree against humans. That good guy?


It depends on who you think the baddies are.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 51862
tabascoboy wrote:
Hmmm, still unanswered questions...

Quote:
Who does laundry in Westworld, and how do they get the blood stains off everything so nicely?

Shit gets bloody in Westworld, that much is clear, but who gets all that sticky stuff off the hosts’ clothing? I am convinced there must be a huge laundry operation at the park in which employees work tirelessly to make sure Dolores’ blue dress and its ilk are spick and span for each new loop. Plenty of improbable things happen in Westworld, but I assume there aren’t 500 versions of the same outfit for each host. That would be madness even Arnold couldn’t fathom. I do wonder, however, if the “blood” injected into the hosts is designed to be more easily removable than human blood to make clean-up easy. [Esther Zuckerman]

http://www.avclub.com/article/doesnt-an ... nse-246893


:lol:

Of course they have 500 outfits. They're hardly going to mend the bullet holes each and every time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10905
I haven't really got into this series so didn't pay much attention to the theorising, but the finale was good and thankfully not some dreary obfuscatory mystic bollocks just there to be a cliffhanger because they'd tied themselves into an unresolvable plot spaghetti.

A Dolores on Dolores lezzing up scene wouldn't have gone amiss though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30754
Location: Chickenrunning...
Yeah. I didn't get it. At all. :blush:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18916
Location: Adelaide via Sydney and Patea
CM11 wrote:
tabascoboy wrote:
Hmmm, still unanswered questions...

Quote:
Who does laundry in Westworld, and how do they get the blood stains off everything so nicely?

Shit gets bloody in Westworld, that much is clear, but who gets all that sticky stuff off the hosts’ clothing? I am convinced there must be a huge laundry operation at the park in which employees work tirelessly to make sure Dolores’ blue dress and its ilk are spick and span for each new loop. Plenty of improbable things happen in Westworld, but I assume there aren’t 500 versions of the same outfit for each host. That would be madness even Arnold couldn’t fathom. I do wonder, however, if the “blood” injected into the hosts is designed to be more easily removable than human blood to make clean-up easy. [Esther Zuckerman]

http://www.avclub.com/article/doesnt-an ... nse-246893


:lol:

Of course they have 500 outfits. They're hardly going to mend the bullet holes each and every time.


can't find the article I plagiarised for an essay about the Wild Bunch, but here's a quote that illustrates the wardrobe repair process on set/location at the time...

Quote:
Wardrobe supervisor Gordon Dawson had his hands full keeping the extras who played Mexican soldiers dressed appropriately. He had plenty of uniforms—350 of them—but the Mexican soldiers in the film kept getting shot or blown up, and the costumes would be torn and/or bloodstained after almost every take. Dawson and his team worked around the clock to clean and repair them almost as fast as Peckinpah could ruin them. In all, those 350 uniforms clothed about 6000 men.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/76406/13 ... wild-bunch


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 51862
That's great but 'at the time'? Not really relevant to a fictional world where they're pulling in a small fortune every day in revenue.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27792
CM11 wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
There was always going to be a twist that one of the apparent 'bad guys' on the show was going to turn out to be a good guy. Everyone picked William, when in fact it was Ford.


So that's the good guy whose creations went on a killing spree against humans. That good guy?


It depends on who you think the baddies are.


Well indeed. It's quite clear who the bad guys are in this version of Westworld.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18916
Location: Adelaide via Sydney and Patea
Quote:
The Secret to Westworld’s Success Is in Its Music


https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... ed/509969/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3699
c69 wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
c69 wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
True Blue wrote:
I was wondering how they were going to afford Hopkins for the next season - guess that answers that question. They pulled a Sean Bean.


Not necessarily. Ford was 3D printing someone in his secret lab, and they never told us who. Could easily have been a host version of himself.

Err I've posted the answer


OK. There's clearly a clue I've missed in the clip of the handshake. Still unclear as to what it is though!

Ford claimed in an earlier episode that one of the things the host could not master was a handshake.
Ergo


Ergo what you twat? What the fudge does that mean. Is Ford a host as well?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27792
Newsome wrote:
c69 wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
c69 wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:

Not necessarily. Ford was 3D printing someone in his secret lab, and they never told us who. Could easily have been a host version of himself.

Err I've posted the answer


OK. There's clearly a clue I've missed in the clip of the handshake. Still unclear as to what it is though!

Ford claimed in an earlier episode that one of the things the host could not master was a handshake.
Ergo


Ergo what you twat? What the f**k does that mean. Is Ford a host as well?


He is intimating that the last we see of Ford is as a host (i.e. real Ford has spent most of this series making a mechanical version of himself, just so that at the end it can be shot while he lives to fight another nefarious day). This relies solely on the scene where the camera lingers on the handshake between he and Bernard a second too long, and Bernard makes something of a WTF face...alongside the fact that Ford has been creating a brand new host from mid way through the season, but it's never revealed who that is.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3699
That's badass if true.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Posts: 46942
Location: In the Centre/left wing
I even posted a gif of the handshake


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18916
Location: Adelaide via Sydney and Patea
the handshake was definitely a "NOTICE THIS!" moment...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18916
Location: Adelaide via Sydney and Patea
ERW & Co. messing around on set...when did lip-sync become dub-smash?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUyrVpWG3P0


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2899
Re the handshake, while there was definitely a lingering camera shot, both men were able to grasp and hold the others hand. I see no evidence that it was an Easter egg that Ford is a host.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18916
Location: Adelaide via Sydney and Patea
some opinions on series 1:
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/12/what- ... st-season/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6946
bealonian wrote:
Re the handshake, while there was definitely a lingering camera shot, both men were able to grasp and hold the others hand. I see no evidence that it was an Easter egg that Ford is a host.


I vaguely remember the bit where he said the hosts couldn't master a handshake but can't remember if they showed or mentioned what part of it exactly they couldn't get and from memory, in the scene above they didn't actually shake, which some may consider part of a handshake.

I would say that that points to evidence that that Ford may well indeed have been a host, without being concrete. I wouldn't be surprised either way if he was/wasn't in the next season though even if the original died there could still be a host version knocking about.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18348
Funny how they can fudge like rabbits but can't shake hands.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18916
Location: Adelaide via Sydney and Patea
Ford was talking about the old models' handshakes giving them away...

"Old Bill here was always a good listener.
He was the second host we ever built.
Were you with us in those days, Bernard, or was that before your time?"

"Most were decommissioned before I was brought on, I'm afraid."

"They repeated themselves, broke down constantly.
A simple handshake would give them away..."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20271
Been watching this show over the last couple of weeks. It's pretty gripping stuff, and I'm not gonna ruin it with spoilers from here, but some of the writing is really piss poor and there's holes all over the place (hoping they get plugged in the next 2 eps).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6946
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
Ford was talking about the old models' handshakes giving them away...

"Old Bill here was always a good listener.
He was the second host we ever built.
Were you with us in those days, Bernard, or was that before your time?"

"Most were decommissioned before I was brought on, I'm afraid."

"They repeated themselves, broke down constantly.
A simple handshake would give them away..."


Maybe handshake is a euphemism but they thought a scene with Arnold and Ford playing 'sticky biscuit' might be a step too far.

EDIT*that should be 'trying to play'


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35093
Location: Hut 8
Sandstorm wrote:
Yeah. I didn't get it. At all. :blush:

Quote:
A Dolores on Dolores lezzing up scene wouldn't have gone amiss though.


Neither did any of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18916
Location: Adelaide via Sydney and Patea
Quote:
We recut all 10 hours of ‘Westworld’ into a single, chronological timeline


https://theoutline.com/post/637/westwor ... e-timeline


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35093
Location: Hut 8
Edinburgh01 wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
There was always going to be a twist that one of the apparent 'bad guys' on the show was going to turn out to be a good guy. Everyone picked William, when in fact it was Ford.


So that's the good guy whose creations went on a killing spree against humans. That good guy?

Yup. Mother earth and all her other inhabitants would go along with that perspective.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:18 pm
Posts: 5811
But late to the hype, but finished watching it there. Enjoyed it, once I finally got my head around it!

Couple of questions for S2 (or maybe I missed the explanation in S1)

Is Ford coming back, who was the host when Bernard killed Theresa?
Where is Elsie and Stubbs(?)? Are they dead?
What or who are those things that were just revered to as Wyatt's men? Is there a possibility they came from another world/park somehow?

Sincerely hope they don't focus too much on having all these other worlds (samurai world). It's hard enough to understand the west world arc never mind adding in these other worlds


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Posts: 34544
Location: Planet Rock
Jeff the Bear wrote:
alliswell wrote:
alliswell wrote:
Maybe William gets to the end of his quest, realises it's just a cheap storyline and says f**k it, I'm off to kill robots.

Closest I got to an accurate prediction. I'm not cut out for this stuff


Certainly better than my "William, devastated at the loss of the love of his life, moons over Delores for 30 years before reawakening their love via the Maze" prediction. :lol:

There was always going to be a twist that one of the apparent 'bad guys' on the show was going to turn out to be a good guy. Everyone picked William, when in fact it was Ford.

good guy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Posts: 46942
Location: In the Centre/left wing
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
Quote:
We recut all 10 hours of ‘Westworld’ into a single, chronological timeline


https://theoutline.com/post/637/westwor ... e-timeline

:thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5306
Location: Yarbles
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
Ford was talking about the old models' handshakes giving them away...

"Old Bill here was always a good listener.
He was the second host we ever built.
Were you with us in those days, Bernard, or was that before your time?"

"Most were decommissioned before I was brought on, I'm afraid."

"They repeated themselves, broke down constantly.
A simple handshake would give them away..."


Fits perfectly with the motifs brought forward from the original film. Robots were given away by their hands in that too.

Is it me or did they chuck a feckload of other tie ins for that final episode? William's Jack Palance turn with the gun and Teddy and Dolores on horseback in a very Planet of the Apes like beach shot.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ArnoldVDH, assfly, Bert, bessantj, Big Nipper, bimboman, Bing [Bot], BlackMac, Boxcar Ira, clydecloggie, crash 669, dam0, Diego, eldanielfire, etherman, feckwanker, frillage, julian, Jumper, KnuckleDragger, koroke hangareka, Margin_Walker, MungoMan, Nolanator, penguin, PornDog, Poshprop, Rossco, ruckinhell, SASP, Short Man Syndrome, The Sun God, Toro, Turbogoat, unseenwork, Wilderbeast, Wilson's Toffee and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group