Planet Rugby Forum
http://forum.planetrugby.com/

Have we reached peak Guardian?
http://forum.planetrugby.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76198
Page 23 of 26

Author:  Womack [ Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

Rowdy wrote:
What does "lean out" mean in that article? I'm having trouble keeping up with all these neologisms.


The opposite of 'lean in?'

Author:  Rowdy [ Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

Womack wrote:
Rowdy wrote:
What does "lean out" mean in that article? I'm having trouble keeping up with all these neologisms.


The opposite of 'lean in?'

Thanks :thumbup:

Author:  bessantj [ Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

Rowdy wrote:
Womack wrote:
Rowdy wrote:
What does "lean out" mean in that article? I'm having trouble keeping up with all these neologisms.


The opposite of 'lean in?'

Thanks :thumbup:

Yes with 'lean in' meaning being more assertive 'lean out' means to get out of the way.

Author:  eldanielfire [ Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ling-roads

The byline:

"Roads designed by men are killing women – and stop millions from cycling"

Genuinely WTF? Those roads kill all genders without discrimination, how did that become a gender issue? I agree segreated cycle lanes would be a huge solution to the danger sof cycling but WTF is that to do with gender?

Author:  danny_fitz [ Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

eldanielfire wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/13/safety-women-cycling-roads

The byline:

"Roads designed by men are killing women – and stop millions from cycling"

Genuinely WTF? Those roads kill all genders without discrimination, how did that become a gender issue? I agree segreated cycle lanes would be a huge solution to the danger sof cycling but WTF is that to do with gender?


I thought a big issue was that women generally speaking are more risk adverse and don't like 'owning the lane' when cycling around town and instead stick to the kerb as much as possible, which unfortunately leads to them being disproportionately represented in the stats for injuries involving turning lorries.

Author:  Womack [ Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

Basically the article is advocating for properly segregated cycle lanes (and more broadly I guess for more related infrastructure, eg secure bike parking and in her case, nicer showers and somewhere for her to plug a hairdryer at work). As the Netherlands proves, if you do create segregated cycle infrastructure and basically gear your transport system around encouraging cycling, more people male and female will cycle.

The gender issue is not very well expressed there and the by-line draws a bit of a long bow based on the paragraph about the Manchester council leader and his previous opposition to segregated cycle lanes. But there is a gender issue in this in that the current situation is that those who choose to cycle to get about largely do so in the knowledge that they will frequently have to dice with traffic & be assertive. In many situations, the quicker you can go, the safer you will feel (and in fact, the safer you will be). That situation discourages female cyclists more than male ones.

It's worth noting that segregated bike lanes do not meet with universal support amongst cycling advocates. There is actually a school of traditionalist opposition to segregated infrastructure, because it is seen as an erosion of cyclists' right to the road & an acknowledgement of the supremacy of motorised traffic. This view goes hand in hand with the idea that as long as you are assertive and properly skilled, and capable of riding at 20mph in bursts to negotiate pinch points etc safely, you can ride on the roads with motorised traffic perfectly safely. Leaving gender out of it, my view is this is an elitist viewpoint that will not encourage mass takeup of cycling as transport.

As to whether any of this really matters, I'm a bit more equanimous these days. I don't expect the UK to ever adopt a Netherlands-style approach to cycling infrastructure. We don't spend enough on our transport infrastructure anyway, let alone setting aside the kind of budget really needed to go all in on cycling. There'll be the usual fudges and isolated efforts, some good some bad. I'd like it to be different but there we go.

Author:  eldanielfire [ Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

danny_fitz wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/13/safety-women-cycling-roads

The byline:

"Roads designed by men are killing women – and stop millions from cycling"

Genuinely WTF? Those roads kill all genders without discrimination, how did that become a gender issue? I agree segreated cycle lanes would be a huge solution to the danger sof cycling but WTF is that to do with gender?


I thought a big issue was that women generally speaking are more risk adverse and don't like 'owning the lane' when cycling around town and instead stick to the kerb as much as possible, which unfortunately leads to them being disproportionately represented in the stats for injuries involving turning lorries.


That has nothing to do with the design of roads, unless you want to tell me how these roads would been designed differently by females. Last I head Amsterdam and Copenhagen's safer for cyclists roads were all mostly male designed as well.

Author:  Womack [ Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

eldanielfire wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/13/safety-women-cycling-roads

The byline:

"Roads designed by men are killing women – and stop millions from cycling"

Genuinely WTF? Those roads kill all genders without discrimination, how did that become a gender issue? I agree segreated cycle lanes would be a huge solution to the danger sof cycling but WTF is that to do with gender?


I thought a big issue was that women generally speaking are more risk adverse and don't like 'owning the lane' when cycling around town and instead stick to the kerb as much as possible, which unfortunately leads to them being disproportionately represented in the stats for injuries involving turning lorries.


That has nothing to do with the design of roads, unless you want to tell me how these roads would been designed differently by females. Last I head Amsterdam and Copenhagen's safer for cyclists roads were all mostly male designed as well.


It's a silly click-baity by-line based on a slightly silly couple of paragraphs about how the leader of Manchester City Council Richard Leese - a man - has until recently opposed segregated infrastructure (which would encourage more women - and men, and BMEs, and LGBT, and children - to cycle). Move beyond that silliness and there is still a gender issue here although as per my post above. Although as I say, it's one element of the wider elitism that still surrounds cycling, which is in itself one factor amongst several that prevents cycling as transport being taken up in the UK to the extent it has been in the Netherlands. NB, this also applies to the article about BMEs and cycling that was posted here a week or so ago - the same elitism & the same poor infrastructure with the same result, that cycling to get about remains a minority pursuit. Again, whether this really matters is something upon which opinions differ. At some point there will need to be some reordering of our transport infrastructure to keep pace with technological advancements - ie driverless cars. Whether cycling will still be a useful alternative remains to be seen.

Author:  eldanielfire [ Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

Womack wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/13/safety-women-cycling-roads

The byline:

"Roads designed by men are killing women – and stop millions from cycling"

Genuinely WTF? Those roads kill all genders without discrimination, how did that become a gender issue? I agree segreated cycle lanes would be a huge solution to the danger sof cycling but WTF is that to do with gender?


I thought a big issue was that women generally speaking are more risk adverse and don't like 'owning the lane' when cycling around town and instead stick to the kerb as much as possible, which unfortunately leads to them being disproportionately represented in the stats for injuries involving turning lorries.


That has nothing to do with the design of roads, unless you want to tell me how these roads would been designed differently by females. Last I head Amsterdam and Copenhagen's safer for cyclists roads were all mostly male designed as well.


It's a silly click-baity by-line based on a slightly silly couple of paragraphs about how the leader of Manchester City Council Richard Leese - a man - has until recently opposed segregated infrastructure (which would encourage more women - and men, and BMEs, and LGBT, and children - to cycle). Move beyond that silliness and there is still a gender issue here although as per my post above.


The article doesn't and that is what we are discussing.

Quote:
Although as I say, it's one element of the wider elitism that still surrounds cycling, which is in itself one factor amongst several that prevents cycling as transport being taken up in the UK to the extent it has been in the Netherlands. NB, this also applies to the article about BMEs and cycling that was posted here a week or so ago - the same elitism & the same poor infrastructure with the same result, that cycling to get about remains a minority pursuit. Again, whether this really matters is something upon which opinions differ. At some point there will need to be some reordering of our transport infrastructure to keep pace with technological advancements - ie driverless cars. Whether cycling will still be a useful alternative remains to be seen.


Regardless of technological advancement cycling will of course be an alternative, due to the joy, fitness element and even the nimble shortcuts that can be taken. The care didn't make cycling obsolete and driverless cars won't. I believe more should be done to separate cycle paths through cities but it is a safety issue not a gender one.

Author:  Womack [ Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

It's not a very good article, agreed. I'm just giving some perspective on the issues the writer is referring (poorly) to.

Author:  eldanielfire [ Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

Womack wrote:
It's not a very good article, agreed. I'm just giving some perspective on the issues the writer is referring (poorly) to.


Agreed.

Author:  _fatprop [ Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

This is pretty fantastic

http://poll2018.trust.org/

Apparently the US is 10th most dangerous place for women and the third on sexual violence

Quote:
Top 10
01 India
02 Democratic Republic of the Congo
03 USA
03 Syria
05 Congo
06 South Africa
07 Pakistan
07 Afghanistan
09 Mexico
10 Somalia
10 Egypt
10 Nigeria


And 6th for non sexual violence
Quote:
Top 10
01 Afghanistan
02 Syria
03 India
04 Yemen
05 Pakistan
06 USA
07 Saudi Arabia
08 Democratic Republic of the Congo
09 Somalia
09 Mexico

Author:  Ramming Speed [ Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

_fatprop wrote:
This is pretty fantastic

http://poll2018.trust.org/

Apparently the US is 10th most dangerous place for women and the third on sexual violence

Quote:
Top 10
01 India
02 Democratic Republic of the Congo
03 USA
03 Syria
05 Congo
06 South Africa
07 Pakistan
07 Afghanistan
09 Mexico
10 Somalia
10 Egypt
10 Nigeria


And 6th for non sexual violence
Quote:
Top 10
01 Afghanistan
02 Syria
03 India
04 Yemen
05 Pakistan
06 USA
07 Saudi Arabia
08 Democratic Republic of the Congo
09 Somalia
09 Mexico


Literally unbelievable. The murder rate of women by their partners is 20 times higher in Russia than the US (18.3 per 100,000 vs 0.6)

https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-03-10/least-12000-people-killed-domestic-violence-every-year-russias-not-even-sure

Author:  Santa [ Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

Ramming Speed wrote:
_fatprop wrote:
This is pretty fantastic

http://poll2018.trust.org/

Apparently the US is 10th most dangerous place for women and the third on sexual violence

Quote:
Top 10
01 India
02 Democratic Republic of the Congo
03 USA
03 Syria
05 Congo
06 South Africa
07 Pakistan
07 Afghanistan
09 Mexico
10 Somalia
10 Egypt
10 Nigeria


And 6th for non sexual violence
Quote:
Top 10
01 Afghanistan
02 Syria
03 India
04 Yemen
05 Pakistan
06 USA
07 Saudi Arabia
08 Democratic Republic of the Congo
09 Somalia
09 Mexico


Literally unbelievable. The murder rate of women by their partners is 20 times higher in Russia than the US (18.3 per 100,000 vs 0.6)

https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-03-10/least-12000-people-killed-domestic-violence-every-year-russias-not-even-sure


Trump tweets are apparently very dangerous.

Author:  Ramming Speed [ Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

Another gem. Decolonising Indie Music (so you don’t have to).

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jun/28/its-about-time-the-black-and-asian-bands-decolonising-british-indie

Author:  Santa [ Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

Ramming Speed wrote:


I read that. Decolonise has now become a word without meaning.

Author:  Seneca of the Night [ Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

Santa wrote:
Ramming Speed wrote:


I read that. Decolonise has now become a word without meaning.



Doesn't it mean cultural appropriation here?

Author:  Boobs not Moobs [ Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

I got a goodie

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... eportation
Quote:
The Tories have made a mess of immigration. Only Labour can fix it by Diane Abbott


It's like Jeremy Hunt saying Labour have made a mess of the welfare state only Tories can fix it.

Author:  Lobby [ Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

Boobs not Moobs wrote:
I got a goodie

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... eportation
Quote:
The Tories have made a mess of immigration. Only Labour can fix it by Diane Abbott


It's like Jeremy Hunt saying Labour have made a mess of the welfare state only Tories can fix it.


Presumably when Diane is in charge, we'll have an achievable immigration target of twelvety-ten hundreds and thousands a week.

Author:  Ramming Speed [ Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

End of thread.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/jun/30/women-fest-first-man-free-festival-sisterhood-song

Author:  Catman [ Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:18 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

Quote:
All women are welcome at the festival, says Jacout, including transgender women and pre-operative individuals. “We’re also happy to have non-binary people provided they have a vagina; but not non-binary people with a penis because we have to draw the line somewhere.”


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Surely thats a wind up?

How could it possibly not be ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Author:  Mick Mannock [ Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

Ramming Speed wrote:


I actually find this one more disturbing. We live in an age where a man feels guilt over spanking his girlfriend.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... eel-guilty

Author:  c69 [ Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:31 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

Ramming Speed wrote:

Fecking sexist bastards

Author:  Mick Mannock [ Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

c69 wrote:


Durty hoors

Author:  kiwinoz [ Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

Mick Mannock wrote:
c69 wrote:


Durty hoors


Hence the ""yoni steaming"?

Author:  Petej [ Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

kiwinoz wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
c69 wrote:


Durty hoors


Hence the ""yoni steaming"?


pissing on hot rocks?

Author:  sorCrer [ Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

There, will, however, be vaginal steaming, feminist debate, and a chance for contemplation in the sacred womb tent. :shock:

Author:  Crash_12 [ Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

Quote:
“Instead of people saying, I paid for a ticket now I’m going to be entertained, we’re asking them to think about what they can contribute: what’s the gift, knowledge, craft or skill they can share - and of course I can buy all the hideous tye dyed juggling trousers I’ll ever need” she told the Observer.

Author:  sewa [ Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

Catman wrote:
Quote:
All women are welcome at the festival, says Jacout, including transgender women and pre-operative individuals. “We’re also happy to have non-binary people provided they have a vagina; but not non-binary people with a penis because we have to draw the line somewhere.”


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Surely thats a wind up?

How could it possibly not be ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Genius stuff :lol:

Author:  terryfinch [ Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

Another classic....
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/jul/02/from-breast-grabbing-to-hottest-fan-galleries-is-this-world-cup-the-most-sexist?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Author:  bessantj [ Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

terryfinch wrote:

That one seems alright tbh.

I think this one is more of a candidate https://www.theguardian.com/world/short ... to-the-50s

Author:  True Blue [ Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:31 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

A female festival is not really a problem imo.....but "Sacred Womb Tent" :lol:

Author:  JM2K6 [ Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... nversation

Author:  eldanielfire [ Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:18 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

JM2K6 wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/jun/30/nothing-like-broken-leg-mental-health-conversation


What's wrong with that?

IMO it's a genuine expression of what it can be like to deal with mental health.

Author:  danny_fitz [ Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:18 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

True Blue wrote:
A female festival is not really a problem imo.....but "Sacred Womb Tent" :lol:


Still curious as to what 'vaginal steaming' is though.

Is it like cooking mussels?

Author:  Santa [ Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

danny_fitz wrote:
True Blue wrote:
A female festival is not really a problem imo.....but "Sacred Womb Tent" :lol:


Still curious as to what 'vaginal steaming' is though.

Is it like cooking mussels?


Zoe explains how vaginal steaming can be used to prevent fascism.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... y-festival

Author:  Santa [ Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

eldanielfire wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/jun/30/nothing-like-broken-leg-mental-health-conversation


What's wrong with that?

IMO it's a genuine expression of what it can be like to deal with mental health.


He's trying to enearnest the thread.

Author:  Seneca of the Night [ Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

Santa wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/jun/30/nothing-like-broken-leg-mental-health-conversation


What's wrong with that?

IMO it's a genuine expression of what it can be like to deal with mental health.


He's trying to enearnest the thread.


The Guardian posts a large number of very stupid articles ripe for ridicule, therefore every article the Guardian publishes is a very stupid article ripe for ridicule . . . or IS IT? AHA!

We may be busted here. Be careful, it is a fiendish trap.

Author:  JM2K6 [ Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

Or, the Guardian occasionally has a comment is free article that you guys hyperventilate over, and believe represents the majority of their output, hence the thread title.

Weird that we don't have this thread for the mail or the Telegraph or the spectator or the times. Can't quite put my finger on why.

Author:  Seneca of the Night [ Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:09 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have we reached peak Guardian?

JM2K6 wrote:
Or, the Guardian occasionally has a comment is free article that you guys hyperventilate over, and believe represents the majority of their output, hence the thread title.

Weird that we don't have this thread for the mail or the Telegraph or the spectator or the times. Can't quite put my finger on why.


I'm not going to argue with that; if that's your view, you are entitled to it. Everyone else can make up their own mind.

Page 23 of 26 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/