Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1025 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:34 pm 

That first one has got to be Godfrey Elfwick. And shouldn't it be 'cis-woman'?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:37 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:

Gardeners Question time on radio 4 had a bit on the vegan compost. seemed like a lot of work.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:13 am 

Championship calibre.
https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2018/oct/09/queer-the-leads-and-unleash-the-nudes-how-to-reboot-a-sexist-classic-for-the-metoo-age

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:20 am 

Ramming Speed wrote:

Lol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:16 pm 

Ramming Speed wrote:

Australian lefties.
:( :roll: x( x( x(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:59 pm 

Perhaps they could find time in their busy schedule to cover trifling issues like being sentenced to death for blasphemy.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/christian ... -1.4853415

This shit makes you sick to the stomach.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:01 am 

Seneca of the Night wrote:

Turns out some Australian leftists - old-school rather than IDpol eejit - are none too keen on the sneery, self-congratulatory, they're-all-dopes-bar-thee-and-me horseshit currently masquerading as leftist commentary / analysis.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:46 am 

MungoMan wrote:

Getting in power is that last thing the left want.
Actually being in government and failing to make the difference they promised will put the grievance gravy train at risk.

Much better if your social and economic theories remain either unfalsifiable or unfalsified.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:14 pm 

Witches against Kavanaugh. Even has the now obligatory dig at white women.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/15/witches-public-hexing-brett-kavanaugh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:39 pm 

In some article, The Guardian decided not to call women 'women' at one point in it's article on period pains. Instead it decided on the term 'menstruators'.

https://twitter.com/zeno001/status/1055521754842611712

So #Guardiansongs is trending on twitter replacing all gender references in lyrics:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/GuardianSon ... 0842165254

Last edited by eldanielfire on Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:41 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:45 pm 

Quote:
Matthew "The word is lesbian, say it" Greenfield Retweeted

Nathan #FBGC

@allthatisol
3h3 hours ago
More
‘See you later menstruator
In a while Autogynephile ‘
#GuardianSongs

:o

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:01 am 

Guardian journalist mugged:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... inequality

She'll be writing for the Spectator within a year.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:09 am 

When dietitians attack

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ol-deniers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:15 am 

While there is a case that there has been wage inequality in the past apparently equalizing the pension retirement age is injustice:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -injustice

The article is ripped apart everywhere in the comments.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:23 am 

_fatprop wrote:

Not too sure this is suitable for this thread the sentiments in the piece are pretty mainstream tbh.
:?:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:37 am 

c69 wrote:
_fatprop wrote:

Not too sure this is suitable for this thread the sentiments in the piece are pretty mainstream tbh.

Statins might be worth a thread of its own actually. I just got prescribed them but aren't taking them. I don't take any prescription meds atm, so am looking for any excuse not to start. My thread starting reputation can't take a hit by starting a sensible one, so maybe you could start it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:51 am 

c69 wrote:
_fatprop wrote:

Statins might be worth a thread of its own actually. I just got prescribed them but aren't taking them. I don't take any prescription meds atm, so am looking for any excuse not to start. My thread starting reputation can't take a hit by starting a sensible one, so maybe you could start it.

Take this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kyolic-Formula-Original-Cardiovascular-300-Capsules/dp/B00012NGIA

or this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kyolic-Capsules-Odorless-Supplement-Gluten-Free/dp/B000EX3H94

Essentially the same thing. There is clinical research to support its efficacy

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/01/160121122158.htm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3561616/

I don't post often and its usually a throwaway comment

But this - this I know about.

It can keep you off statins

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:28 am 

I am a massive fan, a convert to low carb diets and rather evangelical about insulin control and the value of intermittent fasting.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:50 am 

c69 wrote:
I am a massive fan, a convert to low carb diets and rather evangelical about insulin control and the value of intermittent fasting.

After my wife had major surgery, she was told she could not have a further operation she required until she lost weight. She was referred to a nutritionist who was described to her as 'unconventional but effective'. He happens to be Italian. The diet does not fit into any of the convenient boxes other than it is now much lower in processed carbs. He also insisted on certain fairly minor lifestyle changes.

Over a couple of years, her weight has gone down significantly. But more importantly, she goes for an annual BUPA check, and they were so startled by the degree of improvement in all her indicators the doctor concerned started working only with that nutritionist. Essentially her biological age went from several years higher than her calendar age, to several years lower.

However, if she strays from the diet now (e.g. has some white bread) she feels positively unwell.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:33 pm 

Not a parody, but will put many in the satire business out of work:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... e-magazine

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:25 pm 

Drooling over President-Elect Beto
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/09/beto-o-rourke-ted-cruz-texas-democrats-midterms
I love the fact that he opened the door to young Texan voters by speaking their own language, literally so if they are Hispanic. He’s bilingual in Spanish and flips effortlessly between idioms. How did Ted Cruz have a chance against that super-power?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:39 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:

Usually I try and avoid these things so that they don't get the clicks, but this one got the better of me. Quite an incredible crock of shit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:42 pm 

One never reaches Peak Guardian.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:58 pm 

I’m disappointed in the guardian here, I’d have expected them to advocate Tilda Swinton as sexiest man alive with an accompanying photo shoot from a cultural appropriation clinic. #tofu #dolphins #clitoris

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:01 pm 

I thought the people magazine sexiest man piece was quite amusing for the most part, let's face it some of the calls like Nolte and that country singer are absurd and are mocked well in that piece. Talk of 'Gay twink culture feeding into straight desire' might as well be in Mandarin for all the relevance it has to me but otherwise, I don't see the issue.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:12 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:

I'm guessing that was written by a particularly effete homosexual?

Edit: Yep

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:19 pm 

Plato'sCave wrote:
I’m disappointed in the guardian here, I’d have expected them to advocate Tilda Swinton as sexiest man alive with an accompanying photo shoot from a cultural appropriation clinic. #tofu #dolphins #clitoris

Would that not constitute gender appropriation? Or is that okay as long as it's female to male? It's hard to keep up with the shifts in the hierarchy of victimhood these days.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:19 pm 

Womack wrote:
I thought the people magazine sexiest man piece was quite amusing for the most part, let's face it some of the calls like Nolte and that country singer are absurd and are mocked well in that piece. Talk of 'Gay twink culture feeding into straight desire' might as well be in Mandarin for all the relevance it has to me but otherwise, I don't see the issue.

I was mainly amusingly flabbergasted by the notion that a black man winning for only the third time ever wasn't a strong enough statement of diversity (as if that's what this sort of thing is for, rather than being a spurious conversation piece for readers) and that its basically not acceptable for straights to find stereotypically masculine men attractive.

I know girls who prefer the more fey, pretty men and girls who in their own words like a bit of rough. The vast majority would still plump for someone that fell under a more traditional definition of masculine than someone who'd make a good twink. I think they'd all tell this author where he can stick his notions of what they should find sexy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:49 pm 

The article doesn't make too much of any wider question of 'Diversity' with a capital D, it notes the rarity of a black man winning it but otherwise it's poking fun at an 'institution' that seems to judge its winners on fairly rigid criteria. You may take issue with the author's judgement of what constitutes current mainstream notions of attractiveness (as he seems to be suggesting the award is generally or at least partly at odds with them) but I'm just not seeing any argument within the piece that it is wrong per se to value traditionally masculine traits, just that (as you say) there are other traits in men that are also considered attractive.

As I say, I see it mainly as a fairly light-hearted piece poking fun at what is by its nature a silly award, there are points you could take issue with but this to me is a long way off peak guardian territory.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:56 pm 

Currently rowing back hard, using all the npc buzzwords he knows.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CasparSalmon ... 8661108736

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:58 pm 

I think it's a disgrace that Benedict Cumberbatch didn't win.

He's a dish :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:01 pm 

Since the issue those people have seems to be a knee-jerk "black man wins the award and you complain of hyper-masculinity", I know who I'd sooner accuse of NPC peak Guardianism.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:03 pm 

ZappaMan wrote:

I think that’s Eggs Benedict you’re thinking of

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:04 pm 

Womack wrote:
Since the issue those people have seems to be a knee-jerk "black man wins the award and you complain of hyper-masculinity", I know who I'd sooner accuse of NPC peak Guardianism.

One of my go-to dissident writers has this theory that most female opinion journalism boils down to one thing: come the revolution the world will be reordered in such a way as to make the writer hotter.

So it is with the gays too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:09 pm 

Womack wrote:

One of my go-to dissident writers has this theory that most female opinion journalism boils down to one thing: come the revolution the world will be reordered in such a way as to make the writer hotter.

So it is with the gays too.

That would be classically illustrated by that Grauniad journo who wrote one column complaining about wolf-whistling, followed up by another complaining about not being wolf-whistled at.

Edit: Here we are...

Last edited by Hellraiser on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Womack wrote:

Hence the lack of pressure for gender quotas in sewage works.

Plato'sCave wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:

I think that’s Eggs Benedict you’re thinking of

:lol:

Take a bow. Well played.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:16 pm 

Plato'sCave wrote:
Womack wrote:

Hence the lack of pressure for gender quotas in sewage works.

Quite.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:35 pm 

Womack wrote:
The article doesn't make too much of any wider question of 'Diversity' with a capital D, it notes the rarity of a black man winning it but otherwise it's poking fun at an 'institution' that seems to judge its winners on fairly rigid criteria. You may take issue with the author's judgement of what constitutes current mainstream notions of attractiveness (as he seems to be suggesting the award is generally or at least partly at odds with them) but I'm just not seeing any argument within the piece that it is wrong per se to value traditionally masculine traits, just that (as you say) there are other traits in men that are also considered attractive.

As I say, I see it mainly as a fairly light-hearted piece poking fun at what is by its nature a silly award, there are points you could take issue with but this to me is a long way off peak guardian territory.

It's definitely a long way from peak G. I've only read it the once and won't give them another click to verify, but the derision directed at previous winners and masculine traits seemed a bit OTT and suggested a rejection of these which fits into the wider Guardian narrative of trad masculinity being toxic and thus undesirable. Perhaps that's me reading too much into it. He's dead wrong about the award being at odds with what's generally considered attractive, maybe not as wrong as he might once have been 10 -15 years ago, but I'd put money on his perspective being distorted in a manner not unlike my London dwelling friends forgetting how lacking in racial diversity most of the rest of the UK is (certainly in comparison to the big smoke).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1025 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next