Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:12 pm 

Sards wrote:
:shock:

AC SAYS HE STILL WANTS TO MENTOR STICK

WTF....................................

What's wrong with wanting to mentor an inexperienced coach? He's not ready for Bok rugby and has been demoted. Doesn't mean you don't continue to coach/mentor him.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:25 pm 

saffer13 wrote:
Sards wrote:

What's wrong with wanting to mentor an inexperienced coach? He's not ready for Bok rugby and has been demoted. Doesn't mean you don't continue to coach/mentor him.

It implies to me that he was part of the decision to employ Stick.....thats what is wrong

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:26 pm 

Sards wrote:
saffer13 wrote:
Sards wrote:

It implies to me that he was part of the decision to employ Stick.....thats what is wrong

You're just full of theories today. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:29 pm 

handyman wrote:
OomPB wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:
Excellent decision by SARU. Not quite a "no overseas based players" policy yet but great to see them trying to pull it back. Maybe in a year or two who can see only domestic players in the Bok team

The sooner they get no overseas player policy going the better. Take the knock now and move forward.

Agree with this. We are at a low point anyway.

AC did well with this at WP. He brought in the PoC and now we get the dividends. Its a long term vision and will take a few years.

I look at the midgets (7s) and its unbelievable what they achieved with a bit of long term vision.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:33 pm 

saffer13 wrote:
Sards wrote:
saffer13 wrote:
Sards wrote:

You're just full of theories today. :lol:

feck me....and not a drop of pappegaai twak in sight..........

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:34 pm 

OomPB wrote:
handyman wrote:
OomPB wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:
Excellent decision by SARU. Not quite a "no overseas based players" policy yet but great to see them trying to pull it back. Maybe in a year or two who can see only domestic players in the Bok team

The sooner they get no overseas player policy going the better. Take the knock now and move forward.

Agree with this. We are at a low point anyway.

AC did well with this at WP. He brought in the PoC and now we get the dividends. Its a long term vision and will take a few years.

I look at the midgets (7s) and its unbelievable what they achieved with a bit of long term vision.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:01 pm 

Bok captain:

Quote:
JOHANNESBURG – Regarding the appointment of a new Springbok captain, coach Allister Coetzee said it was not simply a matter of picking someone in place of the now internationally retired Adriaan Strauss.

“It’s a big challenge,” said Coetzee when asked on Sunday – at the start of the first of three national training camps – about the need to find a new team leader.

“We’ve lost a lot of leaders and senior players since the 2015 World Cup, men like Victor Matfield, Jean de Villiers, Schalk Burger, Fourie du Preez... and others who’re now playing overseas. There’s over 500 caps gone, and it’s left a bit of a void.

“The thing is we’re sitting with a young group of Boks... there are some players who’ve played a few Tests, but most of the guys are under 26. In terms of leadership, we have a young group.

“The captaincy matter is not clear-cut. Names are not popping up... there are ifs and buts, even if you had to decide on the captain – is he the best, is he a starter, will he be accepted by a big group?

“There is a process I’ll follow, but I’ll appoint a captain well before the June Tests.”

The favourites to lead the team are Warren Whiteley, Beast Mtawarira, Pat Lambie, Handré Pollard, Siya Kolisi and from overseas Duane Vermeulen.

Even Lood de Jager has been mentioned as a dark horse.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:21 pm 

Whenever I read anything by AC I seem to hear P-Divvy saying it in my head. Quite scary really.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:48 pm 

Oupa.......it makes sense really.

And I wouldn't mind seeing Cassiem as his partner for the boks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:01 pm 

Quote:
It is said too many cooks spoil the broth, but new Springbok attack coach Franco Smith has rubbished the well-known saying, suggesting the more people involved in coaching the Boks the better.

Smith, who was recently appointed the national team’s backs and attack coach, takes over from Johan van Graan, who has been involved with the Boks since 2012 when Heyneke Meyer took charge.

He also filled the role of attack coach for most of last season when Smith wasn’t part of the picture, but it is now uncertain exactly what his role will be going forward, other than that of assistant coach, alongside Matt Proudfoot, who deals mainly with the scrums.

Smith though feels there will be no clashing between him and Van Graan. “I believe we need everybody to coach. Those who know my style, know that I involve everybody in every aspect of coaching.

“Johan has gained a lot of experience, and we worked well together last year already on the November tour, and we know each other well.

“Coaching is never a one-man act, even though I am going to be responsible for the attack, I’m going to involve Johan in the breakdown coaching, the running lines, transfers, and skills upgrading. We’re comfortable... there will be a well-organised and planned approach.”

Smith also dispelled talk he will not be able to juggle both the job as Cheetahs Super Rugby coach and as Springbok assistant. “I’m serving rugby,” he said about wearing two hats.

“It’s going to be a tough ask, but I’ve worked on my plan, and think it is very possible. I certainly don’t want to neglect one role, but it’s been done before ... just look at Stephen Larkham at the Aussies (he’s national backs coach and also head coach of the Brumbies).

“It’s not an impossible task. It’s about time management, and I am looking forward to what lies ahead. It is a great honour and me being on the front line of coaching for the whole year, will surely improve my coaching ability and skill, and that will benefit the Boks.”

Smith was talking on the second day of the first national training camp in Johannesburg ahead of the Test season, which gets underway in June with a three-Test series against France. He said it was important that everyone who attended the camp knows what’s required of them should they be picked for the Boks in future.

“We want to get a basic playing style across to the players, a basic shape in general play,” he said of the aims of the camp.

“It’s important everyone understands his role, what everyone can bring to the game. Also we want to make everyone understand what we (the coaches) think.”

Smith added the Boks wouldn’t simply adopt one style going forward. “There are three different Test styles coming up; first in June it’s north against south, then there’s the Rugby Championship where a Super Rugby-style approach is adopted and where try-scoring is important; and thirdly there’s the end of year tour where weather conditions play a big part.

“We have to adapt from one series to the next and that’s why we’ll plan from week to week, depending on the opposition, the availability of players, the skills sets needed... there’s got to be a Plan B too. What this camp is about is up-skilling the players to have a certain skills set.”

The camp concludes today with the second and third camps scheduled for next month and May.

http://www.iol.co.za/sport/rugby/springboks/coaching-is-never-a-one-man-act-says-franco-smith-8066657

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:20 pm 

Quote:
As the extended training squad went through their paces during their first field session at the Wanderers Rugby Club in Johannesburg on Monday morning, Springbok assistant coach Franco Smith reiterated the need to put the Springboks first and praised the recent cooperation between the various Vodacom Super Rugby franchises.

The 41-man squad got together in Johannesburg on Sunday for the first of three training camps before the start of the international season. The Springboks start their 2017 season in June when they host France three times during the Castle Lager Incoming Tour.

On Sunday the 41 squad members, including five Young Guns, gathered in Johannesburg after a good weekend for South African Vodacom Super Rugby teams.

Following their flush-out session on Sunday afternoon all the players underwent medical check-ups and then attended a meeting to discuss the 2017 season.

Later on Monday afternoon, the players returned in two groups to a nearby gym, where first the forwards and then the backs continued with their strength and conditioning training. The following players did not participate in training on Monday because of injury: Uzair Cassiem, Ox Nche, Trevor Nyakane, Lood de Jager, Jaco Kriel, Rudy Paige, Rohan Janse van Rensburg, Sergeal Petersen, Damian de Allende and Jean-Luc du Plessis.

Speaking to a large media contingent after the morning training session, Smith reiterated the benefit of holding three camps before the start of the international season.

Smith was drafted into the Springbok coaching staff for the European tour last November and he was last week confirmed as the Springbok backline and attack coach, whilst continuing in his role as Cheetahs head coach.

The former Springbok backline player said: “It’s an unbelievable honour to be involved with the Springboks in this capacity, but I know that honour comes a huge responsibility.”

Regarding his dual role with the Boks and his franchise team, Smith said: “Personally, it will be an interesting challenge but it is not something that is unique because it has be done before (at Bok level) while some of the other international teams are doing the same currently.

“The fact that I will be in the frontline, coaching throughout the year, will be of benefit to me though and will no doubt help me to grow as a coach,” said Smith.

According to Smith, the benefits of the recent coaching indabas are already noticeable.

“The cooperation (between franchise and Springbok coaches) that we saw during those meetings is something that we can be proud of. As a franchise coach myself, we all know the national team comes first and we want to contribute towards the success of the Springboks,” explained Smith.

Lions players left the camp on Monday afternoon as they are due to fly to Argentina on Tuesday for their Vodacom Super Rugby fixture against the Jaguares, while the rest of the players will return to their different home provinces on Tuesday. The camp ends with a closed training session on Tuesday morning.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springboks/boks-put-through-their-paces-at-training-camp-20170306

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:25 pm 

Jensrsa wrote:
Towards the end of last year AC said that he made a mistake by not going with the Lions players and use their game as a base for the Boks' game.

Now he seems to be changing his opinion again
Quote:
“What I have learnt from last year is that in Test rugby, winning is everything, no matter the opposition. It’s not about entertainment... the only game plan is to play winning rugby."

http://www.iol.co.za/sport/rugby/springboks/when-you-coach-the-boks-theres-always-a-gun-to-your-head-8054395

The million dollar question is what does he see as "winning rugby"? Does he even know or will we have another year of confused game plans?

Last year he was watching NZ this year he's been watching Six Nations
Expect his view to change after a few months of SR
The guy is a fcuking idiot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:29 pm 

Boks will be better this season. All our SR teams are passing instead of boshing/kicking the ball away and are all looking good.

I expect us to succeed despite that moron as a coach. :nod:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:31 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:
Boks will be better this season. All our SR teams are passing instead of boshing/kicking the ball away and are all looking good.

Let's have the captain first

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:45 pm 

Sards wrote:
Oupa.......it makes sense really.

And I wouldn't mind seeing Cassiem as his partner for the boks

What are you basing this on? You should start with just simply actually watching rugby boet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:38 pm 

Sards wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:

It will be Siya Kolisi.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:56 pm 

Chilli wrote:
Sards wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:

It will be Siya Kolisi.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:07 pm 

saffer13 wrote:
Chilli wrote:
Sards wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:

It will be Siya Kolisi.

Rather Oupa thanks. No amount of biased press can bandage Siya into a better player than Oupa. We had enough of light weights with the Lions backrow.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:13 pm 

Sad, kindly refrains from giving rugby related advice until you actually watch some rugby boet. Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:14 pm 

Had a look at Cassiem.
He is a very hard working player. Makes a lot of ground and makes a lot of passes. His only real weakness is defence.
Outclassed Eben in every aspect except lineouts stolen and won.

Last edited by Sards on Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:17 pm 

I thought I was reading an old thread from 2013

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:20 pm 

Sards wrote:
Had a look at Cassiem.
He is a very hard working player. Makes a lot of ground and makes a lot of passes. His only real weakness is defence.

Might have something to do with the fact that Eben is a lock and Cassiem a flank, but please do carry on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:27 pm 

handyman wrote:
Sards wrote:
Had a look at Cassiem.

Might have something to do with the fact that Eben is a lock and Cassiem a flank, but please do carry on.

I understand that. He does really well as another lineout option. Which is why I compared with Eben. Also compared with Siya and it's a mixed bag. Weighs in at 108 kgs which you can see when he makes contact. Not punting him for the Boks although he has an impressive CV coming through the ranks. I enjoy watching him play

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:32 pm 

handyman wrote:
Sards wrote:
Had a look at Cassiem.

Sards is on a roll today - conspiracy theories, opinions about Bok rugby, opinions about players. all totally haywire and wonky but at least he's trying

BTW Sards, lock-flank, do you know the difference? BTW, the Cheetahs hasn't played the Stormers yet, so comparing players who play in different postions and who haven't yet played against each other is as senseless as your conspiracy theories and other opinions

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:57 pm 

Jensrsa wrote:
handyman wrote:
Sards wrote:
Had a look at Cassiem.

Sards is on a roll today - conspiracy theories, opinions about Bok rugby, opinions about players. all totally haywire and wonky but at least he's trying

BTW Sards, lock-flank, do you know the difference? BTW, the Cheetahs hasn't played the Stormers yet, so comparing players who play in different postions and who haven't yet played against each other is as senseless as your conspiracy theories and other opinions

Sard...all on his stats app :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:24 am 

Quote:
He [Franco Smith] felt all the South African franchises now play a good 'ball-in-hand' game - although there remains plenty of room for improvement.

However, the Boks will not be running the ball willy-nilly.

"When we get closer to the Tests, we will decide up to what level have we improved. We will decide what type of player will be selected and adapt the game plan accordingly," Smith said.

"At least we are heading in a direction where everybody can play a ball-in-hand brand."

http://www.rugby365.com/countries/south-africa/77739-bok-style-needs-freshening-up

Adapting the game plan to the players selected rather than the other way round - what a novel idea.

Already some hope for improvement over last year?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:44 am 

Since the Boks started using overseas based players Bok rugby has gone down.

RWCs have always been won by teams using domestic players only and the last three Soccer World Cups have been won by teams using mainly domestic based players (Brazil last won in 2002 and there was a 24 year gap between their 1970 and 1994 wins, Argentina last won in 1986).

Whether there is a valid statistical correlation I don’t know but my simple logic tells me that using overseas based players is detrimental to the health of SA rugby

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:40 am 

Jensrsa wrote:

RWCs have always been won by teams using domestic players only and the last three Soccer World Cups have been won by teams using mainly domestic based players (Brazil last won in 2002 and there was a 24 year gap between their 1970 and 1994 wins, Argentina last won in 1986).

Whether there is a valid statistical correlation I don’t know but my simple logic tells me that using overseas based players is detrimental to the health of SA rugby

If a player is class he is class.....irrespective of where he plays

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:54 am 

Sards wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:

The record seem to indicate differently. Once a player goes to play for his pension his motivation to play for his country seems to disappear, no matter what he says.

Whether it is coincidence or not but Australia's rugby seems to have taken a dive since they allowed senior players to play overseas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:01 am 

Jensrsa wrote:
Sards wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:

The record seem to indicate differently. Once a player goes to play for his pension his motivation to play for his country seems to disappear, no matter what he says.

Whether it is coincidence or not but Australia's rugby seems to have taken a dive since they allowed senior players to play overseas

Agree there.....Duane and Alberts were dismal........a shadow of their former self. With more gametime in Soup rugby this would obviously change. But..........it aint going to happen so I am with Ouboet that we persever with local players.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:02 am 

Jensrsa wrote:
Sards wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:

Yup, they dived into the World Cup final

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:11 am 

booze wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:
Sards wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:

Yup, they dived into the World Cup final

Where they got thumped.

And then proceeded to lose 0-3 to England at home, to the Boks (one of their 4 wins last year) and again to England and Ireland while scraping through against Scotland and France. And like the Boks they have only won one match against the All Blacks since 2011.

Add to this the state of the Aussie Super Rugby sides last year and this year so far.

I'm not saying that the Wallabies is as poor as the Boks but allowing senior players to play overseas isn't doing them any favours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:04 am 

Yeah i doubt the locals like playing much with the metrosexual mercenary millionaires
Saffers gun mekaar fokol!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:43 am 

Cartman wrote:
Yeah i doubt the locals like playing much with the metrosexual mercenary millionaires
Saffers gun mekaar fokol!

Just remember.......exposure in internationals are exactly what is needed to boost interest in your career and negotiations around contracts.......

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:31 pm 

Sards wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:
Sards wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:

Agree there.....Duane and Alberts were dismal........a shadow of their former self. With more gametime in Soup rugby this would obviously change. But..........it aint going to happen so I am with Ouboet that we persever with local players.

You've managed to flip-flop within a couple posts. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:50 pm 

saffer13 wrote:
Sards wrote:

It's Sards v2017.1

He has opinions and theories on everything and reserves the right to change them without notice :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:54 pm 

Jensrsa wrote:
saffer13 wrote:
Sards wrote:

It's Sards v2017.1

He has opinions and theories on everything and reserves the right to change them without notice :)

I pity his poor wife :(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:36 pm 

handyman wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:
saffer13 wrote:
Sards wrote:

It's Sards v2017.1

I pity his poor wife :(

Where do you think I learnt to compromise. It takes a wise person to know when to acknowledge something right. And idiot to continue with the same

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:25 pm 

Quote:
It seems like the Cheetahs, coached by Springbok assistant-coach Franco Smith, have forgotten that the tactical kick is still an integral part of setting up the platform from which you can create attack.

The one-dimensional way in which they tried – without success – to bridge the Jaguares’ defence during their 41-14 loss by running every ball made them extremely predictable. The team frustrated themselves, and in doing so their Argentinian opponents played off their mistakes.

The Jaguares have a flat defence, so you have to create doubt in their minds by varying your play. It’s good to try and keep possession, but it’s what you do with the ball that counts. Like a team playing a forward-orientated game, or a team that kicks everything, running every ball makes it easy to defend against.

This should be of some concern for South African rugby fans, because Cheetahs head coach Franco Smith is our country’s new attack coach. And if it is tough for him to understand this, how on earth will he be able to improve the Springboks’ attack?

http://www.kwesesports.com/rugby/peter-de-villiers-column-springbok-fans-worried-franco-smith/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:22 am 

Jensrsa wrote:
Quote:
It seems like the Cheetahs, coached by Springbok assistant-coach Franco Smith, have forgotten that the tactical kick is still an integral part of setting up the platform from which you can create attack.

The one-dimensional way in which they tried – without success – to bridge the Jaguares’ defence during their 41-14 loss by running every ball made them extremely predictable. The team frustrated themselves, and in doing so their Argentinian opponents played off their mistakes.

The Jaguares have a flat defence, so you have to create doubt in their minds by varying your play. It’s good to try and keep possession, but it’s what you do with the ball that counts. Like a team playing a forward-orientated game, or a team that kicks everything, running every ball makes it easy to defend against.

This should be of some concern for South African rugby fans, because Cheetahs head coach Franco Smith is our country’s new attack coach. And if it is tough for him to understand this, how on earth will he be able to improve the Springboks’ attack?

http://www.kwesesports.com/rugby/peter-de-villiers-column-springbok-fans-worried-franco-smith/

This running rugby nonsense will never catch one. x(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next