Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 65  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:10 pm 

Keep the updates coming. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:11 pm 

Tom Slingsby calling big lefty. Wind shift?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:12 pm 

No. Slight right wind shift. ETNZ a couple more tacks to cover.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:14 pm 

ETNZ pointing higher consistently upwind.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:14 pm 

500m lead to ETNZ on the 5th Leg.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:15 pm 

Mr Mike wrote:
Keep the updates coming. :thumbup:

Why don't you use the app?

ETNZ about 400m up. Just started the 6th leg.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:15 pm 

Oracle start 6th leg about a minute behind.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:16 pm 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
1 minute ahead. Go you good things - no nose diving please

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:16 pm 

ETNZ lead by a 1 minute at the 6th mark.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:17 pm 

ETNZ final leg 800m up

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:18 pm 

Oracle 60 secs behind.

Etnz seconds away.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:18 pm 

Done.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:19 pm 

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:20 pm 

1 minute 12 win.

Wow :o

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Now we wait until next weekend. I bet Oracle make some huge changes now

Crap. My friends stream went. Anyone have a winning margin?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:21 pm 

We are half way there. It's going to be a very long second half!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:22 pm 

Top work ETNZ.

Still can't help but feel nervous though.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:27 pm 

I guess the race starts next weekend, there wont be any more time to develop anything game changing after the break.

3-0 up is a good place to be, 7-0 would be better.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:27 pm 

The Native wrote:
Top work ETNZ.

Too true. Almost hard to properly enjoy it!! Knowing what could happen.

Neutrals might be hopeful for a come back to make it interesting. But I'll need a straight jacket if that happens. So sorry, no sympathy.

Be interested to hear Spitbull talk.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:30 pm 

OTUSA will be hoping the wind comes to the party for them. ETNZ far too strong in the light conditions. I wonder what the forecast for next weekend is?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:32 pm 

From Marc Orams on the NZ Herald Blog

Quote:
So, the big question becomes, what changes can Oracle Team USA make over the next five days. They will know that if the conditions are the same, they will struggle. Even if they do win the start or impose a penalty on ETNZ, the boat speed advantage Aotearoa has will be virtually impossible to overcome in the 8-12 knot wind speed range. The options they have:

1. Watch the weather forecast and pray for an increase in wind-speed to over 15 knots.
2. Change out rudders to try and get some better straight line speed and trade off control in the turns.
3. Change out main foil tips - same trade off - go for more straight line speed but give up some stability and control.
4. Look very carefully at ETNZ wing trim - this is a real edge - they can analyse and understand this and try to replicate.
5. Be super aggressive in the pre-start and try and force a penalty or a breakage on the ETNZ boat.
6. Try something off the water - a rule change or measurement change to advantage Oracle Team USA.

What ETNZ needs to do is to keep their heads down and on the job, go out everyday and keep on developing. Watch Oracle Team USA very closely and see what changes they are making and understand the trade offs they are making. It will be very important to understand this so as to make adjustments to counter (if needed).

ETNZ will understand better than anyone that this is not over. They have 3 points but need 7, so they are not even half way there yet. It will be very important not to get ahead of themselves and keep working using the recipe that has been successful so far. Constant improvement, focus and shut out the distractions.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:39 pm 

Yourmother wrote:
The Native wrote:
Top work ETNZ.

Too true. Almost hard to properly enjoy it!! Knowing what could happen.

Neutrals might be hopeful for a come back to make it interesting. But I'll need a straight jacket if that happens. So sorry, no sympathy.

Be interested to hear Spitbull talk.

I'd expect him to talk about the prospect of potential modifications and that a week off is a long time to work - they only needed a day last time. I'll be nervous next Sunday. One consolation is that they knew the comparable speed and that it was close after the challenger series and haven't come out noticeably different after their time off over the LV challenger series. Hopefully there's less room for improvement this time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:41 pm 

The Native wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:21 pm 

The Native wrote:

Quote:
So, the big question becomes, what changes can Oracle Team USA make over the next five days. They will know that if the conditions are the same, they will struggle. Even if they do win the start or impose a penalty on ETNZ, the boat speed advantage Aotearoa has will be virtually impossible to overcome in the 8-12 knot wind speed range. The options they have:

1. Watch the weather forecast and pray for an increase in wind-speed to over 15 knots.
2. Change out rudders to try and get some better straight line speed and trade off control in the turns.
3. Change out main foil tips - same trade off - go for more straight line speed but give up some stability and control.
4. Look very carefully at ETNZ wing trim - this is a real edge - they can analyse and understand this and try to replicate.
5. Be super aggressive in the pre-start and try and force a penalty or a breakage on the ETNZ boat.
6. Try something off the water - a rule change or measurement change to advantage Oracle Team USA.

What ETNZ needs to do is to keep their heads down and on the job, go out everyday and keep on developing. Watch Oracle Team USA very closely and see what changes they are making and understand the trade offs they are making. It will be very important to understand this so as to make adjustments to counter (if needed).

ETNZ will understand better than anyone that this is not over. They have 3 points but need 7, so they are not even half way there yet. It will be very important not to get ahead of themselves and keep working using the recipe that has been successful so far. Constant improvement, focus and shut out the distractions.

5 & 6 are distinct possibilities from that pack of plums.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:26 pm 

Enzedder wrote:

I hope they do because right now it's a non contest. ETNZ are just in a class of their own.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:30 pm 

RuggaBugga wrote:
The Native wrote:

Quote:

5 & 6 are distinct possibilities from that pack of plums.

I still think they are capable of the old ram tactic, smash the ETNZ boat, then show up for the next races with their second boat. They will do anything to hold the cup, and are capable of anything to do that.

They simply won't let NZ win.

Burling has to stay as far away from Oracle as possible. Narrowly avoided a collision today, and there was no need to get that close to Oracle.

Last edited by obelixtim on Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:33 pm 

JB1981 wrote:
One consolation is that they knew the comparable speed and that it was close after the challenger series and haven't come out noticeably different after their time off over the LV challenger series. Hopefully there's less room for improvement this time.

Oracle appear to have done the square root of fuck all to make their boat faster over the last two weeks in comparison to ETNZ. Given the way the rules are setup this year they don't have too much scope to make huge improvements so they're going to have to hope the weather shifts closer to their sweet-spot and further away from New Zealand's. Without any skin in the game I'm of the opinion they're screwed.

Spithill has been all over the place in the pre-start. He had everything going for him today in the second race and still conspired to be slower across the line. It's been a drubbing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:40 pm 

Gospel wrote:
Enzedder wrote:

I hope they do because right now it's a non contest. ETNZ are just in a class of their own.

I hope they make big changes too, and their boat breaks in two, and Spithill then through shock develops a severe salt allergy, and Russell Coutts chokes while fellating Ellison who himself develops a fatal blood clot.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:56 pm 

Yourmother wrote:
Gospel wrote:
Enzedder wrote:

I hope they make big changes too, and their boat breaks in two, and Spithill then through shock develops a severe salt allergy, and Russell Coutts chokes while fellating Ellison who himself develops a fatal blood clot.

There would be years of legal wrangling to decide whether that still constituted an Oracle win. The only winner would be Dean Barker with the fatal blood clot at least meaning Team Japan's support arrangement wouldn't see him stepping in for Coutts.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:09 pm 

The Native wrote:
booze wrote:
it's a weird feeling watching these early wins.

Just hard to get excited because of what happened last time in San Francisco!

Definitely. The effusive commentary from BT Sport is a bit cringey for me as well.

Clearly in the Oracle camp aren't they? As they were in the Artemis camp and the BAR one (fair enough) before that.

It's a bit shit really

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:12 pm 

They don't seem to realise that as long as the cup is in American hands, no one is ever going to get a fair shot at it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:13 pm 

Yourmother wrote:
Gospel wrote:
Enzedder wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:14 pm 

Is Pete Montgomery doing any commentary you can listen to online?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:14 pm 

obelixtim wrote:
They don't seem to realise that as long as the cup is in American hands, no one is ever going to get a fair shot at it.

BT Sport are all over ETNZ. They couldn't be anymore complimentary. And the yanks have setup a very fair defence based on what we're actually seeing on the water.

Kiwis. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:22 pm 

Gospel wrote:
obelixtim wrote:

BT Sport are all over ETNZ. They couldn't be anymore complimentary. And the yanks have setup a very fair defence based on what we're actually seeing on the water.

And here was me thinking that Oracle making up all the rules to suit themselves was unfair.

Ask yourself why, right thru AC history, it has been so difficult to get the cup out of US hands. Its not because the yanks have been fair. Ask why Britain has never won it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:24 pm 

Gospel wrote:
obelixtim wrote:

If you don't understand the paranoia you don't know the history. We will be packing ourselves even at 6-zip and rounding the last marker 500m ahead. San Fran has scarred us, and all the other shit goes back to Dennis F'n Connor.

I agree with you, for now it seems pretty fair (apart from starting the final -1, WTF??) but it's hard for us not to think there is something around the corner. I don't see parallels to SF to be honest, there is no way they were waiting to lose four races to spring something on ETNZ, ETNZ is just better prepared for the conditions and has technology they don't which they now seem to be using to it's optimum capacity. They don't have long now to come up with something new, let alone practice with it and get it down. Their only real choice is to copy the ETNZ boat. and take the chance. (IMHO)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:30 pm 

This is a repeat of 2013. $4.50 for an Oracle win at the TAB looks very tasty.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:38 pm 

J Man wrote:
This is a repeat of 2013. $4.50 for an Oracle win at the TAB looks very tasty.

You wouldn't :frown: :((

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:48 pm 

Gospel wrote:
obelixtim wrote:

Yes, kiwis we are. Bloody terrified of grasping defeat from the jaws of victory.

I love this comp in that it's a tech race. It's just amazing what the engineers do, and geniusly adapt throughout the comp. Obviously money brings faster tech.

I don't buy in to sand bagging. The big improvements, it's a combo of reactional changes by the onshore crew to get the best from the boat. And it's the builders designing and creating new go faster components and rolling them out.

Oracle have been well stocked. And they pulled some go fast equipment out just in the nick of time, last time.

Kiwis have learned to not sit on their laurels this time, so have kept the build of new components being shipped out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 65  Next