Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2567 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 65  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:52 pm 

Toro wrote:
J Man wrote:
This is a repeat of 2013. $4.50 for an Oracle win at the TAB looks very tasty.

You wouldn't :frown: :((

I probably can't bet against NZ to be fair, and this does seem different from 2013.

This 5 day break seems a tad suspicious though...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:56 pm 

The Native wrote:
From Marc Orams on the NZ Herald Blog

Quote:
So, the big question becomes, what changes can Oracle Team USA make over the next five days. They will know that if the conditions are the same, they will struggle. Even if they do win the start or impose a penalty on ETNZ, the boat speed advantage Aotearoa has will be virtually impossible to overcome in the 8-12 knot wind speed range. The options they have:

1. Watch the weather forecast and pray for an increase in wind-speed to over 15 knots.
2. Change out rudders to try and get some better straight line speed and trade off control in the turns.
3. Change out main foil tips - same trade off - go for more straight line speed but give up some stability and control.
4. Look very carefully at ETNZ wing trim - this is a real edge - they can analyse and understand this and try to replicate.
5. Be super aggressive in the pre-start and try and force a penalty or a breakage on the ETNZ boat.
6. Try something off the water - a rule change or measurement change to advantage Oracle Team USA.

What ETNZ needs to do is to keep their heads down and on the job, go out everyday and keep on developing. Watch Oracle Team USA very closely and see what changes they are making and understand the trade offs they are making. It will be very important to understand this so as to make adjustments to counter (if needed).

ETNZ will understand better than anyone that this is not over. They have 3 points but need 7, so they are not even half way there yet. It will be very important not to get ahead of themselves and keep working using the recipe that has been successful so far. Constant improvement, focus and shut out the distractions.

With the history of the cup, and the tactics Oracle employ I'm still nervous as fudge. Won't feel comfortable until the cup is sitting in a 1st class seat of an Emirates plane.

As I see it Oracle will definitely be working #6. Expect Larry's lawyers to be earning their coin.

I thought for a second Oracle where going to crash into Aotearoa today. Expect NZ to raise that with the umpires again.

Not sure they can make big changes to the boat. But they have already had several weeks of knowing they aren't up to speed, actually longer, in these winds. So any big changes will already be underway if they thinking they can deploy them. But it seems the rules limit them somewhat. They could have started building batwing tips a month ago. Maybe new wing controls and certainly rudders (it's thought NZ has new rudders for the match).

Other changes are to the way they sail the boat. Copying NZ maneuvers and sailing better. ETNZ have shown there are huge gains here. I reckon Jimmy will be off the boat. If he's not winning starts then he's no good to them. Expect a new helm. Maybe Tom Slingsby taking over, or maybe a young gun. If they are out sailing in the lay days, it may show that big changes to the boat are not possible.

I really think there will be some drama left in this cycle. No way Oracle just bends over without firing some shots. They will have to start putting pressure on the kiwi's somehow/anyhow.

But boy ETNZ look unbeatable in these conditions. Pete kicked his nerves today. And whoever designed those foils needs to be knighted. Also need to force Ashby to take up NZ citizenship, tell him he's off the boat otherwise. It's for his own good.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:03 pm 

Toro wrote:
Gospel wrote:
obelixtim wrote:
They don't seem to realise that as long as the cup is in American hands, no one is ever going to get a fair shot at it.

BT Sport are all over ETNZ. They couldn't be anymore complimentary. And the yanks have setup a very fair defence based on what we're actually seeing on the water.

Kiwis. :lol:

If you don't understand the paranoia you don't know the history. We will be packing ourselves even at 6-zip and rounding the last marker 500m ahead. San Fran has scarred us, and all the other shit goes back to Dennis F'n Connor.

I agree with you, for now it seems pretty fair (apart from starting the final -1, WTF??) but it's hard for us not to think there is something around the corner. I don't see parallels to SF to be honest, there is no way they were waiting to lose four races to spring something on ETNZ, ETNZ is just better prepared for the conditions and has technology they don't which they now seem to be using to it's optimum capacity. They don't have long now to come up with something new, let alone practice with it and get it down. Their only real choice is to copy the ETNZ boat. and take the chance. (IMHO)

I understand the paranoia - SF was pretty crazy. I just reject the complaint that BT are in the Oracle camp based on the coverage I have seen or the notion that this Cup at hasn't been setup fairly because I think it has. Now should Oracle go on to break the rules this week then I will happily concede that point. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:16 pm 

Surely any changes that Oracle make will significantly affect boat handling? These crews have spent literally months if not years coming to understand how to best to sail these boats which are being raced right at the edge. Any additional speed must come at the expense of stability, and undermine Oracle's ability to navigate the course mistake free under pressure. They literally will not have the time to get to grips with the changes they'd make; they'd need weeks, not days. So, even assuming Oracle can make radical changes (unlikely), they then won't be able to handle the boat as efficiently and can't be expected to.

Unless it blows, this race is over.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:21 pm 

Gospel wrote:
obelixtim wrote:
They don't seem to realise that as long as the cup is in American hands, no one is ever going to get a fair shot at it.

BT Sport are all over ETNZ. They couldn't be anymore complimentary. And the yanks have setup a very fair defence based on what we're actually seeing on the water.

That's what I meant. They're blowing so much smoke up the arse of ETNZ that by the end of the regatta they'll come out like smoked kippers. Given 2013 and that we've seen weather changes greatly affect boat speed, it's cringeworthy and makes me uncomfortable.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:28 pm 

The Native wrote:
Gospel wrote:
obelixtim wrote:

That's what I meant. They're blowing so much smoke up the arse of ETNZ that by the end of the regatta they'll come out like smoked kippers. Given 2013 and that we've seen weather changes greatly affect boat speed, it's cringeworthy and makes me uncomfortable.

Oh. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:31 pm 

Gospel wrote:
Toro wrote:
Gospel wrote:
obelixtim wrote:

If you don't understand the paranoia you don't know the history. We will be packing ourselves even at 6-zip and rounding the last marker 500m ahead. San Fran has scarred us, and all the other shit goes back to Dennis F'n Connor.

I agree with you, for now it seems pretty fair (apart from starting the final -1, WTF??) but it's hard for us not to think there is something around the corner. I don't see parallels to SF to be honest, there is no way they were waiting to lose four races to spring something on ETNZ, ETNZ is just better prepared for the conditions and has technology they don't which they now seem to be using to it's optimum capacity. They don't have long now to come up with something new, let alone practice with it and get it down. Their only real choice is to copy the ETNZ boat. and take the chance. (IMHO)

I understand the paranoia - SF was pretty crazy. I just reject the complaint that BT are in the Oracle camp based on the coverage I have seen or the notion that this Cup at hasn't been setup fairly because I think it has. Now should Oracle go on to break the rules this week then I will happily concede that point. :lol:

So, how is it fair that Oracle are allowed two boats, but the challengers are only allowed one?

Its like saying the All Blacks are allowed a squad of 23, but the Lions are only allowed a squad of 15.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:32 pm 

Brian9848 wrote:
Surely any changes that Oracle make will significantly affect boat handling? These crews have spent literally months if not years coming to understand how to best to sail these boats which are being raced right at the edge. Any additional speed must come at the expense of stability, and undermine Oracle's ability to navigate the course mistake free under pressure. They literally will not have the time to get to grips with the changes they'd make; they'd need weeks, not days. So, even assuming Oracle can make radical changes (unlikely), they then won't be able to handle the boat as efficiently and can't be expected to.

Unless it blows, this race is over.

Yip. They will need upwards of 16 knot winds to stand any chance of nullifying the Kiwi advantage - assuming ETNZ haven't tweaked their high pressure mode, which I rather suspect they have. Only way Jimmy is winning this race is with a hacksaw.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:39 pm 

obelixtim wrote:
So, how is it fair that Oracle are allowed two boats, but the challengers are only allowed one?

Its like saying the All Blacks are allowed a squad of 23, but the Lions are only allowed a squad of 15.

Yeah I'll concede that point. What I mean by fair is the simple fact that both Artemis and now ETNZ are faster than the defender so other than being allowed a spare boat their material advantage hasn't manifested itself on the water. Yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:59 pm 

I've been thinking about the conditions OTUSA have put in place for this LV and AC.

We can no longer whine about the "unfairness" as that time has passed. All the other teams knew what they were getting into when they decided to invest the millions of dollars. BAR has invested massively as a long term goal to bring the AC back home. ETNZ would sure as hell not enter if they didn't think they were in with a great chance to bring it back to Auckland. Artemis were outstanding and even Groupama were good considering their budget and very short lead in time. SBTJ were good and we know why and all teams will be back for the next iteration.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:07 pm 

Spithill has admitted that ETNZ have a faster boat after yesterday denying it. No mind games from Jimmy at the moment. I'll be interested to watch the press conference later on.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:18 pm 

The Native wrote:
I've been thinking about the conditions OTUSA have put in place for this LV and AC.

We can no longer whine about the "unfairness" as that time has passed. All the other teams knew what they were getting into when they decided to invest the millions of dollars. BAR has invested massively as a long term goal to bring the AC back home. ETNZ would sure as hell not enter if they didn't think they were in with a great chance to bring it back to Auckland. Artemis were outstanding and even Groupama were good considering their budget and very short lead in time. SBTJ were good and we know why and all teams will be back for the next iteration.

Simply not true. How about changing the design rules 12 months after setting them? Luna Rosa had already spent $5million on the 62ft design when it was changed to the current design. They were so disgusted with the "unfairness" that they left the competition in protest, forfeiting $1 million entry fee in the bargain. There was alot of other stuff which it isn't worth getting into. Oracle have not run a fair event in the slightest.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:31 pm 

Gospel wrote:
obelixtim wrote:

I agree :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:20 am 

nzrick wrote:
The Native wrote:

Simply not true. How about changing the design rules 12 months after setting them? Luna Rosa had already spent $5million on the 62ft design when it was changed to the current design. They were so disgusted with the "unfairness" that they left the competition in protest, forfeiting $1 million entry fee in the bargain. There was alot of other stuff which it isn't worth getting into. Oracle have not run a fair event in the slightest.

Never said it wasn't unfair or that the rules weren't​ blatantly in favour of OTUSA. I said that the time for whining has passed. Any teams that felt that strongly could've pulled out and as you said, Luna Rosa did so.

If ETNZ win then I hope we can look forward to a more balanced LV and AC.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:47 am 

There's a rumour going around that ETNZ will revert to the old nationality rules. That will really screw over all the other teams, perhaps the reason why ETNZ didn't commit to the framework agreement?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:51 am 

Gospel wrote:
BT Sport are all over ETNZ.

All the BT commentary team have been supporting Oracle. That Oracle is not returning the favour is beyond their control.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:52 am 

usermame wrote:
Gospel wrote:

All the BT commentary team have been supporting Oracle. That Oracle is not returning the favour is beyond their control.

:?

The BT commentary of Ken Read and Alastair Eykyn has been glowing for ETNZ. And whilst they haven't been putting the boot into OTUSA, they haven't been as complimentary.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:09 am 

I forgot about it this morning but OTUSA had their high-speed dagger boards in today. ETNZ obviously had the same boards from yesterday in. Quite impressive that even in the higher winds they were quicker.

I will see if whatever changes or developments they've made to the boat will see a comparative let speed increase in higher winds if they end up racing in those conditions. Can anyone else recall the wind speed when they lost to OTUSA in the round robin?

Peter Lester was on the radio this morning again alluding to some very interesting/effective changes that ETNZ has made to Aotearoa but wouldn't not give any details. I would love for them to come out in higher winds, where OTUSA are supposedly stronger, and absolutely blitz them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:54 am 

Toro wrote:
Is Pete Montgomery doing any commentary you can listen to online?

Newstalk ZB via the I-Heart-Radio app.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:26 am 

OTUSA are running out of options and time. Will they be down to taking out boat no. 2 as a "can we do something different?" and then accidentally ramming ETNZ due to the team not handling the "new set up "so well? No point having two boat rule and not using it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:32 am 

I remember thinking we had it in the bag last time. And they managed to change something with a day off that changed everything. This time they have 5 days. Admittedly their boat last time had always appeared faster when they managed to stay on their foils, and that doesn't appear to be the case now.

Still, I'm not counting out OTUSA until the last race has been won.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:43 am 

kiwinoz wrote:
OTUSA are running out of options and time. Will they be down to taking out boat no. 2 as a "can we do something different?" and then accidentally ramming ETNZ due to the team not handling the "new set up "so well? No point having two boat rule and not using it.

If it gets to match point this will definitely be on the cards, as I've already pointed out.

It would not be a surprise. Burling needs to stay fast and keep his foot on Spithills neck until the last race is won.

Burling has to keep well clear of Oracle....he got way too close in the first race yesterday, and they were not even on the same leg. He cannot risk the boat like that. One "accident" is all it needs to put ETNZ out. Oracle then just needs to show up at the start line in their second boat.

Watch this space.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:50 am 

The Native wrote:

Peter Lester was on the radio this morning again alluding to some very interesting/effective changes that ETNZ has made to Aotearoa but wouldn't not give any details. I would love for them to come out in higher winds, where OTUSA are supposedly stronger, and absolutely blitz them.

That's presumably about the new rudders.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:00 am 

Phantomb wrote:
Watched an hour of highlights from the 95 challenge yesterday.

It's like watching snails race, but the boats are huge, the crews are numerous and the amount of work required on the boat is insane.

You had poorly timed gennekers, mainsails getting ripped, massive tacking duels, guys shimmying 100 ft up the mast to make in-race repairs and huge courses - those races would last hours.

I appreciate the speed of the multi-hulls but I'm bemused as to how 'automatic' it feels the crew is. All of a sudden it seems like there's 2 or 3 guys making decisions and the other 2-3 are simply human engines. Especially in the case of the NZ boat and their cyclors.

That's definitely not correct. If you read the article posted by Username, it tells you just how much work in the form of other tasks the grinder/peddlers have, they are constantly making adjustments to the boat, it's just not as visible as going up the mast.

usermame wrote:
Not a bad article, only a little butt hurt coming out...
Quote:
America's Cup: Even the Score

http://www.sailingworld.com/americas-cup-even-score

And about this flight-control system; what can you tell us? Supposedly, they have an iPad-like device that has a dot that moves around the screen. There’s a rule that you can’t have rake control and all that stuff linked directly to the computer system. It has to be completely separated from the boat’s system that’s tied into boatspeed, heading, angle, pitch and all that stuff. They have to be physically separated and can’t be linked in any way because otherwise, the computer could fly the boat.

The way they may have gone around this is by using an iPad that’s showing the best place to put the foils to fly the boat. So basically there’s a human input, but you’re copying what the computer is telling you to do. It sounds like it’s telling them what to do. If it’s doing what we think it is, it’s actually a really cool development that could trickle down and be used on some of the modern foiling cats where it could essentially fly the boat for you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:23 am 

Yourmother wrote:
The Native wrote:

Most likely. Outteridge was saying that all the teams had a big focus on rudder development and reducing drag. He also made a comment about the lack of communication, but I think ETNZ had been keeping talk to a minimum leading into the AC.

I'd love for ETNZ to come out with some killer foils that come from the left field.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:47 am 

The Native wrote:
The BT commentary of Ken Read and Alastair Eykyn has been glowing for ETNZ. And whilst they haven't been putting the boot into OTUSA, they haven't been as complimentary.

Fair enough, let me reword that: the BT sideline colour commentary team seem all to be for OTUSA.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:53 am 

usermame wrote:
The Native wrote:

Fair enough, let me reword that; the BT sideline colour commentary team seem all to be for OTUSA.

Is that not the bulk of their viewership?

I would imagine that it's a little like cricket commentary in India; you diss the USA at your peril.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:01 am 

The Native wrote:
Yourmother wrote:
The Native wrote:

Most likely. Outteridge was saying that all the teams had a big focus on rudder development and reducing drag. He also made a comment about the lack of communication, but I think ETNZ had been keeping talk to a minimum leading into the AC.

I'd love for ETNZ to come out with some killer foils that come from the left field.

So they can't change foils. Though, think they can replace the tips, whatever that means.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:10 am 

They have a number of foils but they can only change a small percentage of the foils, which the rfer to as the tips. They cannot introduce new foils as I understand it.

So you will not see OTUSA with foils like ETNZ next time they're out on the water.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:29 am 

The Native wrote:
They have a number of foils but they can only change a small percentage of the foils, which the rfer to as the tips. They cannot introduce new foils as I understand it.

So you will not see OTUSA with foils like ETNZ next time they're out on the water.

Ypu can bet they'll have their legal eagles looking at that rule though. Or they will have a built in rule saying they can change the rules. Since they made the rules in the first place I'm sure they didn't neglect to leave themselves some leeway.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:30 am 

obelixtim wrote:
The Native wrote:

Ypu can bet they'll have their legal eagles looking at that rule though. Or they will have a built in rule saying they can change the rules. Since they made the rules in the first place I'm sure they didn't neglect to leave themselves some leeway.

Are you going hell for leather trying to appease the mockers gods or are you really still ranting about OTUSA's supposed dirty tricks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:40 am 

The Native wrote:
obelixtim wrote:
The Native wrote:

Are you going hell for leather trying to appease the mockers gods or are you really still ranting about OTUSA's supposed dirty tricks.

Supposed???

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:05 am 

The difference last time as I recall was the lay day and Sir Ben Ainslie to Oracle's afterguard.
I also recall that audio off the Oracle boat in race 8 in 2013 captured Ainslie telling Spithill to "shut the fuck up and drive the boat"

Oracle don't have Ainslie to call on this time. Spithill will self destruct.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:06 am 

The Native wrote:
usermame wrote:
Gospel wrote:

That's the NBC commentary team.

I really like ken reads commentary. Although, sometimes they are not very quick to speak about what is happening on the water. It's a bit strange.

Then BT presenters lead by Clare balding are the ones who have pinned their colours to the mast of everyone ETNZ has been sailing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:10 am 

booze wrote:
The Native wrote:
usermame wrote:
Gospel wrote:

That's the NBC commentary team.

I really like ken reads commentary. Although, sometimes they are not very quick to speak about what is happening on the water. It's a bit strange.

Then BT presenters lead by Clare balding are the ones who have pinned their colours to the mast of everyone ETNZ has been sailing.

Weird. The stream I watch has the BT logo but I get the NBC commentators.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:14 am 

blackblackblack wrote:
The difference last time as I recall was the lay day and Sir Ben Ainslie to Oracle's afterguard.
I also recall that audio off the Oracle boat in race 8 in 2013 captured Ainslie telling Spithill to "shut the fuck up and drive the boat"

There is a race replay here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr_Bf1lWhYc - with commentary from Nathan Outteridge and Chris Brady saying that Burling is in Spithills head.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:15 am 

The Native wrote:
blackblackblack wrote:

There is a race replay here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr_Bf1lWhYc - with commentary from Nathan Outteridge and Chris Brady saying that Burling is in Spithills head.

Just about everything Barker was missing, that mental edge.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:20 am 

blackblackblack wrote:

Last time they had boat speed. They were blinding fast but control and stability was the issue. Once they got that sorted they were untouchable. This time they have a dog and while they can probably quicken up over the next 5 days I'm not sure they can do it and maintain the same control. This will be the issue with any material change in the foil design.

I'm booking the fuckin parade.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:23 am 

Jays Myth wrote:
blackblackblack wrote:

Last time they had boat speed. They were blinding fast but control and stability was the issue. Once they got that sorted they were untouchable. This time they have a dog and while they can probably quicken up over the next 5 days I'm not sure they can do it and maintain the same control. This will be the issue with any material change in the foil design.

Counting chickens. :?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:23 am 

Jays Myth wrote:
blackblackblack wrote:

Not yet you're not, not even halfway there yet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2567 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 65  Next