Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2773 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:11 am 

Olddantucker wrote:
The Native wrote:
The boat for the next America's Cup revealed. Wow.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11946082

That looks f**king awesome, or savage (as my 11 year old boy would say)

He needs a bit of a nudge, your SAVANT.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:57 am 

globus wrote:
Olddantucker wrote:
The Native wrote:

That looks f**king awesome, or savage (as my 11 year old boy would say)

He needs a bit of a nudge, your SAVANT.

:roll:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:36 am 

The Native wrote:
Not at all what I thought it was going to be like. And that's a good thing. Theoretically faster than the AC50 is exciting. Seeing 75 foot monohulls honking around the Hauraki Gulf will be some sight.

I think they said theoretically faster at some wind directions (and probably slower in others).
Top speed is limited by cavitation on the foils rather than power, so they will not be faster top speed unless they have supercavitating foils.

Supercavitating foils fly like a brick at low speeds though, so are unlikely.

Overall though, they should be exciting, though the giant scythes sticking out of the water would make for serious potential for beheading if they come together after a round marking.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:14 am 

That’s top news.

They were looking at 3 concepts. From traditional monohull to semi foiling to foiling.

Sounds like they went for the mad as a bag of cats option.

Fantastic. Thought Luna Rossa would have pushed it more towards the conservative option.

Can’t wait to see one of these in reality.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:21 am 

merlin the happy pig wrote:
The Native wrote:
Not at all what I thought it was going to be like. And that's a good thing. Theoretically faster than the AC50 is exciting. Seeing 75 foot monohulls honking around the Hauraki Gulf will be some sight.

I think they said theoretically faster at some wind directions (and probably slower in others).
Top speed is limited by cavitation on the foils rather than power, so they will not be faster top speed unless they have supercavitating foils.

Supercavitating foils fly like a brick at low speeds though, so are unlikely.

Overall though, they should be exciting, though the giant scythes sticking out of the water would make for serious potential for beheading if they come together after a round marking.

Yes, especially with Ben Ainslie (Hur) at the Helm.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:59 am 

Who knows what'll really be possible, but Dalton said this.
Quote:
"Our analysis of the performance of the foiling monohulls tells us that once the boat is up and foiling, the boat has the potential to be faster than an AC50 both upwind and downwind.

But, design versus reality are often two very different things.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:47 am 

Ainsle's going to kill people with those foils. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:20 am 

Gospel wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:36 am 

The Native wrote:

That is a thing of beauty. Ferrari on the seas. The tv audiences in 2021 are going to be huge :nod:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:39 pm 

Gospel wrote:

Good job kiwis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:42 pm 

Auckman wrote:
The Native wrote:

That is a thing of beauty. Ferrari on the seas. The tv audiences in 2021 are going to be huge :nod:

NZ leading the World in boat design. Mean buzz :smug:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:56 pm 

Apparently BAR have been privy from some of the design details and their modelling has indicated that in the right conditions the boats can hit 50 knots.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:44 am 

The Native wrote:
Apparently BAR have been privy from some of the design details and their modelling has indicated that in the right conditions the boats can hit 50 knots.

But Ben Hur Ainslie will chop them down in his foiled chariot.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:18 am 

globus wrote:
The Native wrote:

But Ben Hur Ainslie will chop them down in his foiled chariot.

Unless he's improved from last time, a foiling battering ram would be more appropriate.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:54 am 

Sounds as though Auckland and even NZ could lose hosting if they continue in their manner.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11947869

Wouldn’t be surprised to see it unravel. I’d say Italy and other venues would right now be offering a much better proposition.

Given the lack of funding last time from NZ government, I doubt ETNZ would feel loyalty.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:30 pm 

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=12020528

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:24 pm 

The AC75 looks rather interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:33 pm 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PgRRyYsyGDc

Well, the class design has now been published for some time now. Sounds like it’s going to happen.

Pretty wacky invention in order to keep it as mono hull (which I think was the Luna Rossa pre requisite).

Frustrating having to wait so long to see them which I believe is another year.

But sailors safety will be better for it until Ainslie gets behind one of these water hoppers with their Ben Hur like carriages.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:15 am 

One year ago today, Emirates Team New Zealand won the 35th America's Cup.

Quote:
One year on: How Team New Zealand won the America's Cup

One year ago, Team New Zealand claimed the America's Cup for a third time after securing a 7-1 series victory over holders Oracle Team USA. We take a look back at the all the thrills and spills from a thrilling month in Bermuda.
There were many remarkable elements of Team NZ's stunning win in Bermuda: the nerveless performances of helmsman Peter Burling in his first America's Cup; their recovery from the dramatic capsize during the challenger semifinals; the great redemption story after the horrors of San Francisco four years ago.

But perhaps most remarkable of all is how a team that was on the brink of financial ruin, and launched their first proper test platform 18 months after key rivals, came to be so far ahead of the development curve.

After suffering a defeat at the last regatta in 2013, giving up an 8-1 lead over Oracle in the process, Team New Zealand's plight in Bermuda gripped the nation.

With a young crew led by Olympic gold medallist Peter Burling, Team New Zealand sailed, and cycled, their way through the qualifying series to reach the America's Cup final, which they won on June 27, 2017.

Here's how they secured the America's Cup once again.

America's Cup World Series

Before the six teams got to Bermuda they all raced in the America's Cup World Series, staged across nine different locations. Land Rover BAR won the series to take two bonus points into the America's Cup qualifying series, with Oracle earning one point for finishing second. Team New Zealand ended up in third place on the overall standings with just six victories across the 40 fleet races.

Louis Vuitton America's Cup qualifying series

On to Bermuda for the start of the America's Cup regatta with the five qualifying teams along with the defenders Oracle Team USA racing each other in two rounds with the top four challengers advancing to the playoffs. Oracle were only playing for the chance to take a bonus point into the America's cup, which they achieved by finishing top of the standings with eight victories and two defeats.

Team New Zealand also finished with an eight-win, two loss record but vitally those two TNZ defeats were against James Spithill and Oracle Team USA. The two squared off on the opening day of racing with Oracle passing Team New Zealand on the sixth mark to win by just six seconds. They clashed again on the final day of the qualifying series - racing for the vital America's Cup bonus point - with Peter Burling making costly errors to lose by 29 seconds.

Team New Zealand still finished as the top qualifier and picked Ben Ainslie Racing as their semifinal opponent.

Louis Vuitton America's Cup qualifying semifinals

Team New Zealand lined up against BAR but it was a dud of a first day with Ainslie's boat suffering a broken camber arm which saw them retire from race one and withdrawl from race two. Team New Zealand then extended their lead to 3-0 in windy conditions the next day before suffering a dramatic pitch-pole and capsizing into the Bermuda waters during the pre-race for race four. All TNZ crew were fine but the shorecrew had a major job ahead to fix the boat. They luckily got an extra day to fix the damage with racing called off the following day as Team New Zealand returned fresh and ready to take race five before BAR hit back in race six to win by 19 seconds and make it 4-2 in the first to five series. Racing resumed the next day with Team New Zealand and match point and they knocked out the British syndicate with a 39 second victory.

In the other semifinal, Dean Barker's Team Japan gave up a 3-1 series lead to lose 5-3 to Artemis.

Sir Ben Ainslie at the Portsmouth-based Land Rover BAR HQ. Photo / File.
Sir Ben Ainslie at the Portsmouth-based Land Rover BAR HQ. Photo / File.
Louis Vuitton America's Cup qualifier final
Team New Zealand advanced through to their fifth America's Cup final with an enthralling series win over Artemis. On the opening day, Team NZ and the Swedish syndicate split the opening two races before Artemis retired from the third race to give TNZ an early 2-1 lead. Team NZ were possibly lucky to have take out the third race after Artemis skipper Nathan Outteridge slid overboard approaching the final top gate.

The drama continued on the next day. Artemis evened the series at 2-2 before being forced to retire from day five to fix a mechanical error. In the third race of the day, Team NZ lagged three seconds behind at the third mark, but split to the opposite side of the track downwind and crossed ahead at the next rounding. They stretched that lead upwind on the next beat and simply had to defend to the finish.

But as they rounded the final mark, the Kiwis fell off their foils and stopped dead, allowing Sweden to close at an alarming rate and almost snatch the point.

"We definitely did it a little tough there, and it just shows one little mistake, one little error and you're really struggling," said Burling.

Like the BAR series, Team New Zealand went into the next day on match point and needed just the one race to secure the Louis Vuitton trophy and book advance to the America's Cup, winning the series 5-2.

The America's Cup

Team New Zealand began the America's Cup match down negative one but quickly made up for that on a dominating day one with a 30-second in race one before thrashing Oracle by 1 minute and 27 seconds in race two. Two more big race wins on day two put the challengers in a commanding position - a 3-0 lead heading into the five day break. Spithill promised Oracle would be working every hour to get faster but that didn't seem to make a difference with Team NZ moving to a 4-0 lead with a two-minute victory in race five.

Spithill finally had something to crow about as the much-faster Oracle boat claimed victory in race six to make it 4-1 at the end of day three of racing. Was another comeback on? Not so fast. Burling yet again dominated the Australian in both starts in races seven and eight and held off a fighting Spithill to move Team New Zealand to match point at 6-1.

Team New Zealand then crushed Oracle in race nine to complete the victory.

Once the America's Cup was won, shoulders relaxed and lips loosened, the tales of what the team had been through over the past six weeks flowed. Most of them related to the trauma of that day when Team NZ cartwheeled across the Great Sound.

Andy Maloney's leg was stitched up by Heather Burling, mother of helmsman Peter, Simon van Velthooven's helmet caved in from the impact of his head hitting the front of the boat, while Tuke came precariously close to being seriously injured when he flew past the daggerboards.

Tuke admitted it was the "scariest moment" of his life.

There were stories of exhausted shore crew members returning home at 3am in tears, before getting an hour of kip and heading back to the base to keep chipping away at the lengthy jobs list. Others slept on the floor of the wing room.

Play VideoThe best from this year's America's Cup
Dalton, meanwhile, casually mentioned the team were sailing on damaged daggerboards for the Cup match, after getting their foil configuration wrong on the second day of the challenger final against Artemis.

"As a result of that day, we found some pretty serious structural issues with the daggerboards, because they had been taken so far out of range that they were basically letting go," he says. "So every time we do a tack or a gybe or whatever, I've just been going 'hold on, hold on' and they have."

The shore team were vigilant, doing ultrasounds on the boards each night to check their fitness. Others sought spiritual assistance.

Ahead of race one of the Cup match, Symmans, who christened the boat in Auckland when it was launched, felt compelled to do another blessing for the boat. She quietly asked Tangaroa, god of the sea, to look after Aotearoa and its precious daggerboards.

"I asked Grant if it was okay if I did another blessing. I expected Grant to say, 'Oh, for God's sake, what do you want to do that for?' But he said, 'Yeah, okay, just do it quietly.'"

The stressed daggerboards that carried Team NZ to victory are a fitting metaphor for the entire campaign. For four years the team were stretched almost to breaking point, walking a fine line between triumph and disaster. Through vigilance, innovative thinking and courage they were able to hold on. And now they hold the Cup.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/a ... d=12077556

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:21 am 

Some French dude has actually made a working 6.5m prototype

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sport ... g-monohull

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:20 am 

This is getting mad.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:29 am 

globus wrote:
This is getting mad.

It certainly proves the concept works. Wish there was a video with it. Claims it can foil in just 10 knots.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:33 pm 

Yourmother wrote:
globus wrote:
This is getting mad.

It certainly proves the concept works. Wish there was a video with it. Claims it can foil in just 10 knots.

:lol: No, it doesn't, photoshop.
Transparent mast and no battens in the mainsail? It's a rendered pic by Philippe Briand studio concept.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:42 pm 

Bring back monohulls.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:29 pm 

globus wrote:
Bring back monohulls.

they are there

Volvo just completed with a French Winner

the Vendée globe is fantastic

AC is not as interesting as these though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:50 pm 

I'm having a last go at the Antigua races, before I hang up my Dubarrys.

I get to helm, while the young and strong get to haul the rags up.

I'm good at that. But Garmin is useful.

I know where that ruddy rock is. Thankfully never hit it but we rescued a crew once.

I was doing quite well at the time. But needs must and lives are to be saved.

It was nice to get an accolade.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:51 pm 

globus wrote:

Bullshitter of the year? ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:59 pm 

Gospel wrote:
globus wrote:

Bullshitter of the year? ;)

Close, but no cigar.

Sailors always treat those in difficulty. I am no exception.

So far I have lost nobody overboard and rescued a few.

That goes for my rugby career too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:12 pm 

🙄

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:31 pm 

lexpat wrote:
Yourmother wrote:
globus wrote:
This is getting mad.

:lol: No, it doesn't, photoshop.
Transparent mast and no battens in the mainsail? It's a rendered pic by Philippe Briand studio concept.

Yes, think you might be right, the sailing anarchy guys suggested the same. Though apparently the Brit team have something built already, though it’s not yet functional.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:08 pm 

Footage of BAR testing foiling...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/105762658/Sir-Ben-Ainslies-team-trials-a-foiling-monohull-prototype?cid=app-android

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:13 pm 

Impressive!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:52 pm 

That looks great. It's the sheer speed of these foiling boats that grabs my attention. I don't think the British team have a hope in hell in winning the cup - ever - but it's nice have a teensy little bit of skin in the game.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:27 pm 

A 75 footer is absolutely going to motor. It's going to be fun.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:39 pm 

Gospel wrote:
That looks great. It's the sheer speed of these foiling boats that grabs my attention. I don't think the British team have a hope in hell in winning the cup - ever - but it's nice have a teensy little bit of skin in the game.

I think Ainsley has as good a chance, probably better than most.
He's no fool, people know it, and are backing him.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:38 am 

sonic_attack wrote:
Gospel wrote:

I think Ainsley has as good a chance, probably better than most.
He's no fool, people know it, and are backing him.

A good chance but not a great one. ETNZ and Prada will be favourites.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:05 am 

Hindsight says TNZ had the benefit of surprising the shit out of everyone with a boat the others couldn't realistically compete with. They practically walked it in Bermuda.
My understanding is there's a lot of one design aspects now which will make it all pretty tight.

I'm sure TNZ were favourites in 2003? And we just ate shit and were humiliated.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:48 am 

Kudos going to a challenger getting the first model up and running. They’ll be learning a lot from this.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:42 am 

sonic_attack wrote:
Hindsight says TNZ had the benefit of surprising the shit out of everyone with a boat the others couldn't realistically compete with. They practically walked it in Bermuda.
My understanding is there's a lot of one design aspects now which will make it all pretty tight.

I'm sure TNZ were favourites in 2003? And we just ate shit and were humiliated.

ETNZ did surprise everyone by not revealing their design too early. On the flip side, they were also learnig how to sail the boat right up to and throughout the LVC and AC series.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:11 am 

So will everyone have bicycle grinders in the next AC?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2773 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next