Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1786 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:47 pm 

Willie Falloon wrote:
etherman wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:
Another step on the inexorable march toward unification

https://www.independent.ie/business/bre ... 36908.html

Alliance is shooting themselves in the foot by standing next to Shinners and the SDLP. They will probably lose votes to the UUP in East-Antrim, East Belfast/South Belfast.

As opposed to being in government with them? Seriously, some voters need to wise up then.

Hardly the same, Alliance say they are neither Nationalist or Unionist, yet on a lot of instances they are sharing platforms with Nationalists and voting in line with SF/SDLP in the local councils.

DUP are in government as a Unionist, unfortunately this is the was our government in NI has to be. Which is fair enough, considering the circumstances.

If they are pro choice, pro equal marriage and anti Brexit, its pretty hard for them to stand alongside the DUP. They are a socially progressive party and pragamatic unionists.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:40 pm 

Willie Falloon wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
The Republic of Ireland Act 1948 "It is hereby declared that the description of the State shall be the Republic of Ireland."

The term Ireland has more than one meaning so using a descriptive that is officially adopted by the Irish government is both logical and correct.

Do you ever stop talking shite, the constitution is above that and it clearly says:
“ARTICLE 4

The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland.”

Where does what I posted contradict that?

Ireland has more than one meaning, using a descriptive term officially adopted in the Republic of Ireland Act when discussing the relationship between the country called Ireland and the bit of the island of Ireland not in it is wholly appropriate.

Doesn't matter. The official name is the official name. The official name of my country is Ireland.

and the official name of Northern Ireland is not the 'North'. :thumbdown:

Merrygoroundland

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:56 pm 

Willie Falloon wrote:
etherman wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:

Alliance is shooting themselves in the foot by standing next to Shinners and the SDLP. They will probably lose votes to the UUP in East-Antrim, East Belfast/South Belfast.

As opposed to being in government with them? Seriously, some voters need to wise up then.

Hardly the same, Alliance say they are neither Nationalist or Unionist, yet on a lot of instances they are sharing platforms with Nationalists and voting in line with SF/SDLP in the local councils.

DUP are in government as a Unionist, unfortunately this is the was our government in NI has to be. Which is fair enough, considering the circumstances.

Just because you can’t see the world beyond nationalist/unionism polarisation doesn’t mean the rest of the world can’t

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:43 pm 

To be fair if Naomi Long spent less time eating cream buns and sitting on twitter scouring to see what social justice cause she will fall behind today Alliance would be taken more seriously

David Ford was a far superior leader

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:08 pm 

Winnie wrote:
To be fair if Naomi Long spent less time eating cream buns and sitting on twitter scouring to see what social justice cause she will fall behind today Alliance would be taken more seriously

Well Naomi has had a serious medical condition that has contributed to her weight issues, but sure lets just do that to her. She's streets ahead of Ford and was the clear stand out performer in the last election debate. And god forbid we have a politician who cares about social issues rather than wrapping themselves in a flag.

And She doesent take any shit. From her twitter today:

"Don't embarrass yourself, Edwin (Poots).

Do I need to post all the photos of you and your colleagues with SF while you happily sat in government with them?

Or the ones where you all lined up with loyalist paramilitaries while saying you support the rule of law?"

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:17 pm 

Aye no, Long's orders of magnitude better than Ford, he was a dead man walking.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:20 pm 

etherman wrote:
Winnie wrote:

Well Naomi has had a serious medical condition that has contributed to her weight issues, but sure lets just do that to her. She's streets ahead of Ford and was the clear stand out performer in the last election debate. And god forbid we have a politician who cares about social issues rather than wrapping themselves in a flag.

And She doesent take any shit. From her twitter today:

"Don't embarrass yourself, Edwin (Poots).

Do I need to post all the photos of you and your colleagues with SF while you happily sat in government with them?

Or the ones where you all lined up with loyalist paramilitaries while saying you support the rule of law?"

Poor form Winnie :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:26 pm 

Fųck sake winnie.....

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:40 pm 

HighKingLeinster wrote:
Fųck sake winnie.....

Well she's always been a chunky lass in fairness, and there's no reason for Winnie would know. But if you dont see shes one of our sharper, more genuine, more trustworthy politicians then you're really not paying attention. It seems shes just not bitter enough for some.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:06 pm 

etherman wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:
Fųck sake winnie.....

Well she's always been a chunky lass in fairness, and there's no reason for Winnie would know. But if you dont see shes one of our sharper, more genuine, more trustworthy politicians then you're really not paying attention. It seems shes just not bitter enough for some.

I have no idea she had a medical condition, I dont think she is that able, I think she sees bandwagons and hitches herself to them.
Her policies seem to be very much we arent the DUP
I have not seen or heard anything from her or the Alliance that I think is game changing.
To be honest I had more hope for NI21 until Basil turned into a dirty dick and the party imploded

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:11 pm 

Winnie wrote:
etherman wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:
Fųck sake winnie.....

I have no idea she had a medical condition, I dont think she is that able, I think she sees bandwagons and hitches herself to them.
I have not seen or heard anything from her or the Alliance that I think is game changing.
To be honest I had more hope for NI21 until Basil turned into a dirty dick and the party imploded

NI 21 was doomed from the start to tell the truth, Basil was always a less than pleasant charlatan. I've friends who have had dealing with him and they haven't a good word to say.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:26 pm 

Winnie wrote:
etherman wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:
Fųck sake winnie.....

Naomi has been championing equal marriage, abortion rights, properly integrated education, mental health etc etc for donkeys because they have always formed part of her political beliefs. And they have a common sense proposal around the Irish language.

They actually have very clear considered policies but they get drowned out because they arent green or orange enough for the tribes.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:43 pm 

Since the GFA the British has accepted that the name of the 26 counties is Ireland.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:48 pm 

Adetroy wrote:
Since the GFA the British has accepted that the name of the 26 counties is Ireland.

And?

Can you see no situation where a descriptive term is necessary? Seriously?

It's one of the very reasons the Republic of Ireland Act exists

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:49 pm 

Adetroy wrote:

Fùck them.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:41 pm 

HighKingLeinster wrote:

Quote:
In a rare move, leaders of Sinn Féin, the SDLP, the Alliance Party and Green Party presented a united front at Stormont in calling for the UK to remain in the EU's single market and customs union structures post-Brexit.

They believe that is the only way to avoid the re-emergence of a hard Border on the island of Ireland post-Brexit.

that may be true but anyone who thinks the vast majority of people who voted to leave thought their would still be freedom of movement is dreaming. So to stitch them up to stave off a hard border between Northern and Southern Ireland would be a betrayal that is not going to happen.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:57 pm 

Even I'm nearly sorry for the poor old DUP.

Corbyn has come out in favour of reunification.

Quote:
Jeremy Corbyn believes that there is majority support for unification across both Irish nations, his official spokesman has said ahead of his first visit to Northern Ireland as Labour leader.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news ... 38967.html

I'd say Mrs May could be heard laughing 100m away. The DUP have just lost whatever leverage they thought they had.

Customs border down the Irish Sea ? No ? OK GE it is.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:02 pm 

And this is all Kicked off by a ‘leak’ from Mays office?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:06 pm 

camroc1 wrote:

Quote:
Jeremy Corbyn believes that there is majority support for unification across both Irish nations, his official spokesman has said ahead of his first visit to Northern Ireland as Labour leader.

I'd say Mrs May could be heard laughing 100m away. The DUP have just lost whatever leverage they thought they had.

Corbyn is a Shinner you f ucking idiot, nothing you've typed above isn't a known (other than by you it seems). It makes of course his election if there was a GE more unlikely as there's enough people in the UK who don't like terrorists.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:09 pm 

camroc1 wrote:

Quote:

Haha, you think this is news that IRA apologist thinks that?

Also customs union on Irish Sea is against the GFA and could only be introduced with a referendum in NI

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:18 pm 

bimboman wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

Quote:

Corbyn is a Shinner you f ucking idiot, nothing you've typed above isn't a known (other than by you it seems). It makes of course his election if there was a GE more unlikely as there's enough people in the UK who don't like terrorists.

Corbyn or Boris 😂

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:00 pm 

camroc1 wrote:

Quote:

:?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
bimboman wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

Quote:

Corbyn or Boris 😂

Ive never heard Boris support terrorism before, so if it plays out in Ireland Boris wins.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:50 pm 

camroc1 wrote:

Quote:

What a ringing endorsement :lol: :lol: :lol: maybe they got Diane Abbott to do the stats on the polling

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:58 pm 

Mahoney wrote:
I think my favourite bit of this particular endlessly repeated discussion is that it's required for everyone from Ireland-the-country to pretend that naming your country after a geographical entity with which it does not correspond but to which the namers did lay claim isn't even slightly political, and anybody from the bit of Ireland-the-island that's not part of Ireland-the-country and who doesn't want it to be is being entirely unreasonable in any reservations they have about the name.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:00 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Mahoney wrote:
No, no, certainly you can.

We're renaming ours to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (the "Northern" bit makes it such a mouthful). I'm sure you will be totally happy with that change.

Well actually you're not, and the very fact that you did change the name to the UK of GB and NI means that the UK politically distinguishes between NI, and Ireland.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1786 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45